Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah bollocks, the press has always been a thing as long as I remember watching football. The difference between what Liverpool do and what the traditional press is that Liverpool seem to press all the time whereas the tradition was to press on a certain trigger.

#schooled

Your right of course it's been around but I just never seen it been talked about as much as it has lately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Terrific performance. Carrick, Mata, Lingard, & Pogba were excellent. Anyone know who got MOTM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Terrific performance. Carrick, Mata, Lingard, & Pogba were excellent. Anyone know who got MOTM?

Pogba I'd imagine.

Terrific performance. Anyone know who got MOTM?

I would of given ithe to Pogba but not sure who official got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »
    Your right of course it's been around but I just never seen it been talked about as much as it has lately ;)

Rowing back?? :D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Pogba I'd imagine.
    I would of given ithe to Pogba but not sure who official got it.
    I'm guessing it was Pogba myself just seen nothing official.

Unofficially probably Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Solid win, no big complaints.

Looking forward to Sunday, really think we can pick up 3 points if we offer a little more incisiveness going forward than we did Monday.

Solid win, no big complaints.

Looking forward to Sunday, really think we can pick up 3 points if we offer a little more incisiveness going forward than we did Monday.

I think if Chelsea setup with 3 at the back we have a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Instead of coming on I would say he should be starting games like this.

Get into the flow of the game from the start.

He probably would have had united won their first two group matches. The loss in the first game meant no more slip ups could be afforded.

Unfortunately, starting Memphis is a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We seem to be getting into a little rhythm at minute and if that continues with good result and performance on Sunday I think we could have good season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Clearly not doing the business in training or else he would be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If that was Rooney having a "good" game then he is in trouble. He didn't stink the place out but neither did he offer anything worth taking note of, calling it a good game or a return to form would just be damning him with faint praise.

bangkok wrote: »
    Clearly not doing the business in training or else he would be starting.

He could be doing great in training, this you will never know.

He is getting some chances in matches and hasn't taken them as of yet

If that was Rooney having a "good" game then he is in trouble. He didn't stink the place out but neither did he offer anything worth taking note of, calling it a good game or a return to form would just be damning him with faint praise.

Dont think anyone said it was a return to form or anything of the like but of rooney standards of late it was good. He had a decent contribution to a couple of the goals amd some nice touches and work rate but he also had poor moments too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

skinny90 wrote: »
    As was Memphis..these are games he should be coming on to make a point. He just doesn't show the willingness to do well

Not trying to be negative but I honestly think he's not cut for it...Jose has brought him on big games( or games where we needed impact) and he has not brought anything on in terms of an impact sub. His overall performance just seems to be half hearted. I'd love to be wrong because he seen glimpses of what he can do when he first came...it's just not the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Its gas.

You have AIG and yon City fan bemoaning the loss of "The United Way"

AIG flip flops who he supports more than a fish on a boat and the other lad, who supports a team that is kept afloat by money from slave traders.

As if they can possibly afford to comment on any other teams "way"

You couldnt make it up.

Check out my sig for AIG's horse****, I'm actually disgusted that the mods let him stay in the forum. TSC wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Dont think anyone said it was a return to form or anything of the like but of rooney standards of late it was good. He had a decent contribution to a couple of the goals amd some nice touches and work rate but he also had poor moments too.
    Agree. It was a step in the right direction. He should be played as the main striker and nowhere else. I think he contributed more last night than Zlatan has in the last few games combined. That being said, I wouldn't reinstate him as first choice just yet as I think removing the responsibility from his shoulders for a while will do him good. He looked to be playing with more freedom last night and he looked like he was actually enjoying playing football.

• Were you sitting on your Sky remote by any chance?

Oh man, love that I only spotted this one now.
    Hangover cured

Depay just seems to make a mess of the easiest passes. On the break last night it was harder to hit the defender and that's exactly what he done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭crank_1975

I thought Shaw looked badly off the pace last night, Darmian didn't light up the place either. Some new recruits at full back are needed. Memphis needs a loan to the likes of Everton or Southampton to build up his confidence.

crank_1975 wrote: »
    I thought Shaw looked badly off the pace last night, Darmian didn't light up the place either. Some new recruits at full back are needed. Memphis needs a loan to the likes of Everton or Southampton to build up his confidence.

Shaws just back from an injury. A wee bit of patience would be no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney was no worse than Ibra was in recent games, they should be rotated.

He should have never been allowed to play such a deep role in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney was no worse than Ibra was in recent games, they should be rotated.

He should have never been allowed to play such a deep role in the first place

Rooney couldn't hack it at 9,moved to 10 and was just as bad. He felt the solution was to play even deeper and was no better. An average performance last night is now his level,an improvement on the scutter we have witnessed but not up to the standard we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really good win last night with some good play. Nice to see Pogba in that sort of form.

I thought Rooney looked sharper in a sense of being more mobile, faster and some nice touches and interplay. Although him giving Pogba and Martial the penalties, so close to the record, is a clear sign things arn't right in his head as much as he might say they are. But that's fine, and respect to him for that if he wasn't confident not to jeopardise the chances.

Is there any explanation as to what is happening with Henrikh Mkhitaryan? Would have expected to see him start last night. I'm somewhat assuming its not to rush him back after early injuries, but lieing if I said I wasn't a bit worried.

Robbie Savage really just needs to **** Carrick and get it over with. Carrick is going to excel in games like this and whatever, calls for him to play week in week out are totally misplaced. Just like that typically brainfart backpass he hit. Lovely ball into Mata for the peno, but the ridiculous bias displayed on BT sport is really turning me of having to watch my football on that channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I thought Rooney played well last night. Looked hungry and had some lovely lay offs. He done well to bring Mata and Lingard more into the game and the attacking play looked a lot more fluid.

Granted Fenerbache are poor and he wasn't up against much in Skyrtel, but was positive performance. Certainly needs to play up top and compete with zlats.

I was disappointed he didn't take both penalties last night, he's the striker and should be demanding the responsibility of getting the goals, Wayne of years gone would not have let that happen.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

TheDoc wrote: »
    Really good win last night with some good play. Nice to see Pogba in that sort of form.

I thought Rooney looked sharper in a sense of being more mobile, faster and some nice touches and interplay. Although him giving Pogba and Martial the penalties, so close to the record, is a clear sign things arn't right in his head as much as he might say they are. But that's fine, and respect to him for that if he wasn't confident not to jeopardise the chances.

Is there any explanation as to what is happening with Henrikh Mkhitaryan? Would have expected to see him start last night. I'm somewhat assuming its not to rush him back after early injuries, but lieing if I said I wasn't a bit worried.

Robbie Savage really just needs to **** Carrick and get it over with. Carrick is going to excel in games like this and whatever, calls for him to play week in week out are totally misplaced. Just like that typically brainfart backpass he hit. Lovely ball into Mata for the peno, but the ridiculous bias displayed on BT sport is really turning me of having to watch my football on that channel

Carrick was class last night. Depay should be excelling in games like last night as well but he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Carrick was class last night. Depay should be excelling in games like last night as well but he's not.

Depay came on with like 25 mins to go when the team was cruising and it was just being managed.

Players dont come on in that situation and set the place alight. He should have started last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Depay came on with like 25 mins to go when the team was cruising and it was just being managed.

Players dont come on in that situation and set the place alight. He should have started last night

Martial didn't start vs Liverpool, and based on the last 15 months, he is far, far more worthy of having faith entrusted into him than Memphis. Starting Martial and Lingard for the game time was 100% the right move.

As for the rest of the post, the reality is when you're down the pecking order in a team, there is zero excuses; you have to play your heart out. No sitting back because the team is cruising. In a game like that, when your chances are limited, you have to bust a gut to prove why you deserve to be further up the ladder than you are. And I don't mean just Memphis there, but Rooney, Darmian, Carrick, Lingard...all second string (at best) and needing to prove their worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Martial didn't start vs Liverpool, and based on the last 15 months, he is far, far more worthy of having faith entrusted into him than Memphis. Starting Martial and Lingard for the game time was 100% the right move.

As for the rest of the post, the reality is when you're down the pecking order in a team, there is zero excuses; you have to play your heart out. No sitting back because the team is cruising. In a game like that, when your chances are limited, you have to bust a gut to prove why you deserve to be further up the ladder than you are. And I don't mean just Memphis there, but Rooney, Darmian, Carrick, Lingard...all second string (at best) and needing to prove their worth.

Agreed bar Carrick. He doesn't have to prove anything IMO.
    Every time he's been called upon he's been the best player on the pitch.

Jose doesn't need to learn anything about him, he all ready knows what matches he can play him and when he can't. Carrick will pretty much always give you a Carrick like performance. It's the great thing about him and the worst.

Criticism of depay coming on in a game that was over and his team mates were in cruise control is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bret Hart wrote: »

So back to the backline of Valencia-Bailly-Blind-Shaw. I'm actually happy enough with that and glad we have blind there to come in in these circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

:D - Win
    :rolleyes: - Draw
    :mad: - Lose

PL 2015-2016 - Bournemouth v Man U - 2 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Bournemouth v Man U - 1 -3 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Southampton - 0 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Southampton - 2 -0 :D

PL 2016-2017 - Hull v Man U - 0 -1 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Man C - 0 -0
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Man C - 1 -2 :mad:

EL 2016-2017 - Feyenoord v Man U - 1-0 :mad:

PL 2015-2016 - Watford v Man U - 1 -2
    PL 2016-2017 - Watford v Man U - 3 -1 :mad:

EFLC 2016-2017 Northampton v Man U - 1-3 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Leicester City - 1 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Leicester City - 4 -1 :D

EL 2016-2017 - Man U v Zorya Luhansk - 1-0 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Stoke - 3 -0
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Stoke - 1 -1 :rolleyes:

PL 2015-2016 - Liverpool v Man U - 0 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Liverpool v Man U - 0 -0 :rolleyes:

EL 2016-2017 - Man U v Fenerbahce - 4-1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »

#doitlikephilljones would be more appropriate.

Thought that was DONT Like Phil Jones at first :P

Thought that was DONT Like Phil Jones at first :P

God no never I just thought it be like something Phil jones would do but I guess he would be out injured after.

Jayop wrote: »
    Criticism of depay coming on in a game that was over and his team mates were in cruise control is pointless.

He could have at least made an easy pass when we were on the break and we could have scored another. He does nothing in any game to prove he is worth a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

#doitlikephilljones would be more appropriate.

No matter what happens Phill that clearance will go down in folklore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hadnt realized how poor our record at Stanford Bridge was...

cPMXPYT.jpg

...before people complain about park the bus tactics :P

Hadnt realized how poor our record at Stanford Bridge was...

cPMXPYT.jpg

...before people complain about park the bus tactics :P

We are playing a poor Chelsea side this time though... Hope we attack them from first minute, they are very vulnerable at the back. Would love to see us start both ibra And rashford up top. Won't happen though

An article in the daily mail about mourinho says "the things that make him so great when he is yours are the things that you detest when he is someone else's" have to say I totally agree with this but so far he is a mellowed version of jose we see what he is like around April when the team are hopefully fighting for something.

Just got to watch the match there, I didn't know the result beforehand. Not only were the four goals a nice surprise, but that RVP goal presented a very unique moment in football which I didn't see coming, and I definitely felt goosebumps while watching it unfold.

Players score against their old clubs regularly and the norm is to not celebrate and that is respected from the home fans by not booing...if the player isn't a shíte. However what happened last night was different than most of those.

For one, RVP is a United hero. He delivered a title to Old Trafford at a time when it was badly needed following the heartache of losing out to City the previous season on goal difference. It will be many years before that fades to little in the memories of United fans.

More than his club hero status though, he scored at 4-0 in the 83rd minute. This unique moment doesn't happen at 1-0 or 2-0, and certainly not if his goal is an equaliser or winner. However, the scoreline offered a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for an Old Trafford crowd to show RVP just what that season meant to us all, and still does, and it was glorious to see them take it.

A serious display IMO which has its roots firmly planted in football, but transcends the act of a player scoring a goal to produce a unique, touching, human moment. RVP never got a proper send off up until last night, and he probably couldn't have asked for a better one. He has to be one of the only men to have scored against United in a competitive fixture and receive a standing ovation from the United fans. Definitely a "I love this game, I love this club" moment for me while watching it.

stankratz wrote: »
    Just got to watch the match there, I didn't know the result beforehand. Not only were the four goals a nice surprise, but that RVP goal presented a very unique moment in football which I didn't see coming, and I definitely felt goosebumps while watching it unfold.

Players score against their old clubs regularly and the norm is to not celebrate and that is respected from the home fans by not booing...if the player isn't a shíte. However what happened last night was different than most of those.

For one, RVP is a United hero. He delivered a title to Old Trafford at a time when it was badly needed following the heartache of losing out to City the previous season on goal difference. It will be many years before that fades to little in the memories of United fans.

More than his club hero status though, he scored at 4-0 in the 83rd minute. This unique moment doesn't happen at 1-0 or 2-0, and certainly not if his goal is an equaliser or winner. However, the scoreline offered a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for an Old Trafford crowd to show RVP just what that season meant to us all, and still does, and it was glorious to see them take it.

A serious display IMO which has its roots firmly planted in football, but transcends the act of a player scoring a goal to produce a unique, touching, human moment. RVP never got a proper send off up until last night, and he probably couldn't have asked for a better one. He has to be one of the only men to have scored against United in a competitive fixture and receive a standing ovation from the United fans. Definitely a "I love this game, I love this club" moment for me while watching it.

United have always been good that way, respecting ex players and past legends. When Real Madrid played United around 2002 or that, Brazil Ronaldo scored a hat trick against us to knock us out of Europe, as he was being substituted the crowd at old Trafford rose to their feet and applauded the legend off. He said after the game it was a moment he would never forget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

United have always been good that way, respecting ex players and past legends. When Real Madrid played United around 2002 or that, Brazil Ronaldo scored a hat trick against us to knock us out of Europe, as he was being substituted the crowd at old Trafford rose to their feet and applauded the legend off. He said after the game it was a moment he would never forget

Was lucky enough to be at that game. He was brilliant that night as was Zidane. O Shea nutmegging Figo same night IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Last season it should have been all three points instead of one coming away from the Bridge,I thought it was one of the best performances the team had played under LVG.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement