Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like Smalling, but I don't like the way he still holds too much. It could potentially be very costly in a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Billy86 wrote: »
    Talking in terms of style of play, not ability. Rio for me is the best CB Man Utd has ever had, and probably the world's best (not named Nesta) of the last 15-odd years.

One of the best. Cannavaro and Maldini were class acts as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Robson99 wrote: »
    One of the best. Cannavaro and Maldini were class acts as well

True, though Maldini was more a borderline/probably world class CB who had previously been the best LB of all time, plus an incredible captain. I think his over

Cannavaro was very good, but a bit up and down through his career I found. When he was on he was incredible, but I just found him lacking... at times. I would also take either of the other two (Nesta, Rio) in a hypothetical 'at their very best' scenario - though Sol Campbell would deserve a mention there too (too short a peak to put up there in terms of careers, though). Still one of the best though, don't get me wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any indication on how much Blackett was sold for?

I'd say a hamburger and some curly fries going by our sales team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

True, though Maldini was more a borderline/probably world class CB who had previously been the best LB of all time, plus an incredible captain. I think his over

Cannavaro was very good, but a bit up and down through his career I found. When he was on he was incredible, but I just found him lacking... at times. I would also take either of the other two (Nesta, Rio) in a hypothetical 'at their very best' scenario - though Sol Campbell would deserve a mention there too (too short a peak to put up there in terms of careers, though). Still one of the best though, don't get me wrong!

Probably not enough of an overlap with Rio but Desailly was brilliant as well and just oozed class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Probably not enough of an overlap with Rio but Desailly was brilliant as well and just oozed class

There was a whole generation of ridiculous CBs around the 90s into the 2000s. Personally I'd have Rio above most, but yeah... once you go back into guys on the back end of their careers as Rio, Nesta & such were becoming known across the world it gets really vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I do think that there is potential there in Jones and normally I would say that the loan move would be the best option for us.

But right now, with the lack of good defenders around and the flood of money pouring into the game I think United should be looking to sell, because I think if Woodward has anything about him he should be getting a hefty fee for Jones, regardless of the last few seasons.

My biggest disappointment with the Wellbeck deal wasn't that he was sold, but that we got such a crap fee for him. A young English international striker with a good work ethic, a good scoring record and loads of potential? £16m was a bull**** fee for him and I would expect the club to drive a far better deal for Jones if selling.

There are lots of clubs out there with money to spend who would see Phil Jones as an investment worth making. £47m for Stones! £25m for Jonny Evans! In this market if Woodward can't sell the potential in a 24 year old England international that Alex Ferguson once described as a club legend in the making then he can't sell anything.

Even with the injury record there are managers and clubs that will see it as a gamble worth taking, and if we are talking £25m+ for a squad defender then that makes it an easy decision in my mind.

I honestly don't see how you would be able to convince a club to pay big money on Jones.

Woodward has been doing well recently but Jones who has missed most of last season with injury and is in the final year of his contract.

I'm one of Jones biggest fan and even I can say that expecting £25+million for him is nuts. Again it is mad times in football transfers but I don't see why someone would spend that much when he has injury concerns and is in the final year of his contract. He's a young lad, clubs could easily wait for him to finish up this year and catch him on the free if the demanded sum is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Warren Joyce's interview after the u23 lost to Southampton 2-0 tonight. Pretty scathing..

https://twitter.com/Sollythebaws/status/767820680645734406

astradave wrote: »
    Warren Joyce's interview after the u23 lost to Southampton 2-0 tonight. Pretty scathing..

https://twitter.com/Sollythebaws/status/767820680645734406

Didn't see the match but presume the likes of Riley, Poole, Tuanzebe, El Fitouri, Weir and Harrop were in the squad. Hopefully give them a kick up the backside.

Worrying when he said some are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

brinty wrote: »
    Agh Bangkok come off it he's not even in the top 20

Three Italian's
    Hummels
    Pique
    Ramos
    Varane

That's not even trying

Obviously you are not trying when you mention Varane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

There was a whole generation of ridiculous CBs around the 90s into the 2000s. Personally I'd have Rio above most, but yeah... once you go back into guys on the back end of their careers as Rio, Nesta & such were becoming known across the world it gets really vague.

Was crazy how underrated Rio was by some other fans i know think if people didn't see the English braveheart Terry last ditch tackles he wasn't rated as much, Thing was Rio never made mistakes in the first place to have to do that he was just such a classy center half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Wesley Brown was better than all of them IMO. Top class centre half

That's why I'm talking about potential. Obviously Wes Brown has been more successful at CB than Jones. The player at Blackburn, the player Man U payed all that money for, was unbelievable for his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    Like I said at the time, he had nothing to answer for

God that was a dark day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »

That is not all you said at the time.

- You blamed the victim, saying sarcastically that she was "classy." This was an alleged victim of gang rape that was being talked about.

- You played dumb, trying to pretend that a women couldn't be threatened in a telephone conversation. And questioning why she didn't go to the police while she was being threatened. This was a young girl who had been trafficked into Spain.

- When a poster gave you the quote from the article "According to this early reports, De Gea did not assault the women but told her to have sex with his teammates and used physical threats to convince her." You did not express doubt that that was true, but instead just said that there was nothing in it for DDG. Implying that there was nothing wrong with forcing a girl to have sex with mates by use of threats, as long as he didn't rape her himself. When lots of posters expressed disgust at your response you had the chance to clarify that what you were really saying was that you didn't believe DDG had been involved at all, but you didn't do that. Instead you questioned the victim's class and doubted that she could have been really threatened in a phone conversation. Edit: in fact you even went as far as to say "what de gea did was wrong if proven true, but hardly worth time behind bars" :eek:

The fact that you chopped and changed your story afterwards shows that you know what you said was wrong. But you are still trying to pretend that you didn't say anything wrong.

All in all, "Vile" was a mild description of your behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how you would be able to convince a club to pay big money on Jones.

Woodward has been doing well recently but Jones who has missed most of last season with injury and is in the final year of his contract.

I'm one of Jones biggest fan and even I can say that expecting £25+million for him is nuts. Again it is mad times in football transfers but I don't see why someone would spend that much when he has injury concerns and is in the final year of his contract. He's a young lad, clubs could easily wait for him to finish up this year and catch him on the free if the demanded sum is too much.

He is not in the last year of his contract, it runs until 2019 with further options to extend.

Pro. F wrote: »

- You blamed the victim, saying sarcastically that she was "classy." This was an alleged victim of gang rape that was being talked about.

- You played dumb, trying to pretend that a women couldn't be threatened in a telephone conversation. And questioning why she didn't go to the police while she was being threatened. This was a young girl who had been trafficked into Spain.

- When a poster gave you the quote from the article "According to this early reports, De Gea did not assault the women but told her to have sex with his teammates and used physical threats to convince her." You did not express doubt that that was true, but instead just said that there was nothing in it for DDG. Implying that there was nothing wrong with forcing a girl to have sex with mates by use of threats, as long as he didn't rape her himself. When lots of posters expressed disgust at your response you had the chance to clarify that what you were really saying was that you didn't believe DDG had been involved at all, but you didn't do that. Instead you questioned the victim's class and doubted that she could have been really threatened in a phone conversation. Edit: in fact you even went as far as to say "what de gea did was wrong if proven true, but hardly worth time behind bars" :eek:

The fact that you chopped and changed your story afterwards shows that you know what you said was wrong. But you are still trying to pretend that you didn't say anything wrong.

I defended de gea against wild allegations that were being made and then the usual Liverpool supporters that came flying into the thread giving him dogs abuse.

I defended de gea against wild allegations that were being made and then the usual Liverpool supporters that came flying into the thread giving him dogs abuse.

Let it go man, you have been Pro.F'd. No coming back from that one...

Nobody is denying that that is what you did. It still doesn't justify the way you chose to defend him. You chose to blame the victim of a gang rape, a girl who was a trafficked minor. You chose to say that even if DDG did use threats of physical violence to make a young girl have sex with his teammates that that is not a serious crime and not deserving of jail time.

You wanted to defend a United player and you ended up saying utterly off the wall and disgusting things when making that defence. And months later you are still trying to pretend that you didn't say anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

...and then the usual Liverpool supporters that came flying into the thread giving him dogs abuse.

Hold on a sec, I recall the majority of Liverpool supporters were saying "If its in The Sun its probably lies" This was just a month after the Justice verdict, and here we were again with people foaming at the mouth over their lies.

You seem to construct these scenarios in your head to help justify or rationalize your actions. Everytime I pop in into this thread you're at it.

Umaro wrote: »
    Hold on a sec, I recall the majority of Liverpool supporters were saying "If its in The Sun its probably lies" This was just a month after the Justice verdict, and here we were again with people foaming at the mouth over their lies.

You seem to construct these scenarios in your head to help justify or rationalize your actions. Everytime I pop in into this thread you're at it.

Haha majority were in here saying he was scum etc and should be locked up!!

Pro. F wrote:

Fair play Prof
    I thought Bangkok had been bleating alright n

Anyway let's move on from that, de gea is a United legend and we are going to win the league

bangkok wrote:
    Anyway let's move on from that, de gea is a United legend and we are going to win the league

Admitted defeat very quickly there
    You know you were in the wrong
    A simple apology would suffice

Everyone had moved on from it until you brought it up again, trying to act as if it had somehow been proven that all you said had turned out to be justified after all.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Admitted defeat very quickly there
    You know you were in the wrong
    A simple apology would suffice

Actually I'd like to see him post the quotes from the Liverpool fans calling DeGea scum.. can't remember seeing that at all so I reckon he should back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bangkok is a bit like Phil jones he goes diving in somewhere he shouldnt and gets himself in a mess but then can't get out before its too late.

Anyway you were vile that day bangkok no matter what way you try to spin it and it was a dark day in the United thread for many reasons.

jayo26 wrote:
    Bangkok is a bit like Phil jones he goes diving in somewhere he shouldnt and gets himself in a mess but then can't get out before its too late.

Love it jayo

Everyone had moved on from it until you brought it up again, trying to act as if it had somehow been proven that all you said had turned out to be justified after all.

Well it was in the news this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well it was in the news this morning

Indeed it was - but if you hadn't phrased your announcement of it in a way that made light of your comments at the time maybe people wouldn't have had a go at you again over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No long term guarantee, but at moment it's nice feeling to actually be looking forward to United games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Umaro wrote: »

Doubt it. People lose their morals at the drop of a hat if there's a chance to get one over on the "enemy"

I certainly don't remember a load of Liverpool fans in here saying it was most likely lies.

He is not in the last year of his contract, it runs until 2019 with further options to extend.

Sorry forgot he signed a new contract.

Still believe that expecting to get £25+ million for him is unrealistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheDoc wrote: »

Jaysus, was traveling to the euros during that time so completely missed all that in the thread, from the brief glance thank god I missed it all :pac:

• Mark Bowen all but confirms Stoke are defo interested

So long Jonesy!

I will always remember the good times

3043112800000578-0-image-a-48_1453047237847.jpg

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Mark Bowen all but confirms Stoke are defo interested

So long Jonesy!

Yeah here are some quotes from Bowen on Jones.
    "I remember Sam Allardyce talking about him when he broke through and said he was the new Duncan Edwards," Bowen said in the Stoke Sentinel.

"He did well as a youngster, got the big move, but it hasn't worked out for him there. I don't know how close we are or how far down the line it's gone.

"He's played the majority of his career at centre-half, but in his younger days he went into midfield as well.

"I don't know what's gone wrong, but he's gone from even a player Fergie [Alex Ferguson] was talking about as being someone who could have been one of the greats.

"But we have a bit of reputation for bringing players like that into this set-up and then thriving. Fingers crossed, something may happen."

I like the last part to be honest. If Jones does leave I really hope he gets some prolonged time playing and comes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah here are some quotes from Bowen on Jones.

I like the last part to be honest. If Jones does leave I really hope he gets some prolonged time playing and comes good.

I hope he does too but I hope he does it as a loan player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

I like the last part to be honest. If Jones does leave I really hope he gets some prolonged time playing and comes good.[/quote]

Stoke physio dept putting in for a wage increase :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Put in a damn buyback clause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I loving our recent line ups and I hope we see a similar line up this weekend against Hull but I really want to see more Memphis and Rashford.

I feel Memphis has improved and has confidence now. He had a great pre season!! He's only getting a couple of minutes in each game and we're not seeing enough of him.

Rashford is the same. He bulked up now, has picked up unbelievable experience in the last 6 months or so and looks to be one of the hottest young prospects in Europe. For fantasy football I'd prefer to see Zlatan, but Rashford deserves more minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Put in a damn buyback clause.

TOtally agree with this.

I don't understand why we don't make use of buy back clauses and percentage sell on fees all the time. I don't understand why all clubs don't do it.

On Jones himself - I wanted him to come good and felt with time he and Smalling could have been a fantastic combo - but he just hasn't progressed at all, mostly, imo, because he doesn't play enough. Think I read his last competitive game for United was February, thats shocking!

Simon Jones, in the Daily Mail, is saying Jose wants him to stay and that he will feature over the course of the season.

It looks like United plan on taking the Europa League seriously this year and need a squad to cope with it, the PL, the FA Cup and the League Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks for this. I would have been intemperate if I could have figured out how to disable that chrome ignore extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I loving our recent line ups and I hope we see a similar line up this weekend against Hull but I really want to see more Memphis and Rashford.

I feel Memphis has improved and has confidence now. He had a great pre season!! He's only getting a couple of minutes in each game and we're not seeing enough of him.

Rashford is the same. He bulked up now, has picked up unbelievable experience in the last 6 months or so and looks to be one of the hottest young prospects in Europe. For fantasy football I'd prefer to see Zlatan, but Rashford deserves more minutes

Me too, right now we're at one game a week and Jose is playing his best team to win games, which I agree with. Games will start coming faster and he'll have to rotate, I think then we'll start seeing Rashford and Memphis and so on get more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Who?? I'd like to see more of him too, because he has great potential, but his pre-season was average at best and that's probably being kind. He can get a run-out in Europe to prove his form but he doesn't justify anything more than subs appearances in the league.

Somewhat crumbling, but first bit of "hypothetical" from me on a spurious transfer link

http://www.football365.com/news/mls-clubs-could-offer-rooney-big-dollar-numbers

If a US club came in before the window closes with one of those absolutely outrageous offers, a £40-60m offer for Rooney, club should seriously consider it.

Nevermind it making the Pogba deal look ever more logical in terms of outlay, it solves what is going to be a headache for Mourinho all year I imagine. Could provide some unexpected income to splurge back out on a new CB or basically anything he wants.

Whilst I've never really been totally sold on James Rodriguez for example, I'd take him over Rooney as a 10, and this would pave the way to make it happen.

Obviously total speculation that is like a 1% chance of happening, but I think the club should seriously consider cashing in with all the money floating about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sorry forgot he signed a new contract.

Still believe that expecting to get £25+ million for him is unrealistic

If Evans is worth £25m we should be asking for at least £90m

Who?? I'd like to see more of him too, because he has great potential, but his pre-season was average at best and that's probably being kind. He can get a run-out in Europe to prove his form but he doesn't justify anything more than subs appearances in the league.

Surely a clean slate means exactly that. Mourinho has been talking him up. A part of me is worried it's about maybe trying to inflate a fee to sell, but I think the club and Mourinho would be mental to sell Memphis.

Martial has been less then impressive so far, and while it's early days, I think there is so many options throughout the squad now, one or two indifferent games and players will be looking over their shoulders.

We don't see what goes on in training, but the early indication is everyone is working hard and doing well. If Martial continues in current vein, wouldn't be surprised to see him sit out a bit and Memphis giving a shot. Probably the Cup games being the start.

Martial played a lot of games last year. It wouldn't be surprising to see him struggle a bit this term with second season syndrome, with teams doubling up on him or targetting him more. He's not an unknown entity. I'd expect more rotation taking place there, rather then Martial being persisted with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Mark Bowen all but confirms Stoke are defo interested

So long Jonesy!

3043112800000578-0-image-a-48_1453047237847.jpg

The 6 other people in that picture were hospitalised shortly after that picture was taken.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Its mad the transfer window is still open and we aren't all talking about how Ed Woodward is a joke and the club is a laughing stock. We should be posting links from twitter claiming our bids are being prepared right now.

Do you all think Sky ar calming down on their transfer window bollox too? The last two deadline days on Sky have been awfully boring so hopefully they are realising how embarrassing it looks when they build it up and the clubs don't have anything happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement