Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

World beater? I'd take Premier league standard from him at this point.

But I don't agree with the sentiment that he is "just" 23, he isn't a spotty teenager any more. To repeat what I said before, he has over 100 senior club appearances, 40+ international appearances, multiple league titles, 2 cups, and has played in two of the biggest games in world in the CL and European cup finals. He's younger than me, thats for sure, but in football terms he is old enough to give us a little bit more than we are getting.

And no, that doesn't necessarily mean tear up the league, just to show a bit more than he has, he is in too important a position to be carried for 6 months.

Ah yes, the same premier league standard de gea was seen as not being up to early in his time here by many. Probably never should have bought him, so.

And like I said, most centre mids are not near fully developed at that age, anyone who watched Pogba regularly in Italy would be fully aware he's not much of an exception. Yays you're is another one, had only moved to France at pogbas age. Deco was four years away from generating enough interest to leave Portugal. Rakitic was a relatively little known player at schalke. Lámpara was having Chelsea fans giving out that he wasn't living up to his £10mn price tag. The list goes on and on. Yes, central midfielder typically take a good deal longer to develop. The piling on by some after 8 games to the point I've been hearing people call off boards to one of the worst transfers ever is ridiculously knee jerky, just as it was with de gea.

I didn't see us as too likely to win the league this year, and yes he's been underwhelming, but I'm more interested in how it works out long term. Then again for disclosure, I much prefer the long term purchase options over the older lads who are needed to perform at their best from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I noticed few people mention that we have not sorted out our midfield and things like that past couple of days.

Very much disagree with that.

Pogba, Fellaini, Herrera, Morgan, Bastian, Carrick are super options and are as good as any around

Blind and Mensah can help out too

Our Midfield has never been as good depth wise.

We just ain't playing to their strengths and in some cases not even playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I noticed few people mention that we have not sorted out our midfield and things like that past couple of days.

Very much disagree with that.

Pogba, Fellaini, Herrera, Morgan, Bastian, Carrick are super options and are as good as any around

Blind and Mensah can help out too

Our Midfield has never been as good depth wise.

We just ain't playing to their strengths and in some cases not even playing

I don't think anyone was complaining about the depth or quality but more the balance in the midfields that have played. We haven't looked slick in that area at all, Herrera has done reasonably well but Pogba has underperformed. Someone beside Herrera to allow Pogba may allow more freedom. Id love Bastian back but he's a write off under Mourinho, Carrick or Schneiderlin need more game time.

bangkok wrote: »
    I'd say there is no chance that depay or schneiderlain start tonight, no matter what competition it is, it is still a Manchester derby that nobody will want to lose especially us

Especially us? As bad as we were last week city are arguably on a worse run than us however Pep has already said it would be a weakened team he's putting out. If Pep plays a weak team then we hardly get much confidence from a win and moral will be screwed from a defeat.

That an top of the fact some players haven't had a rest makes me think there will be wholesale changes. Granted it might not be all I've listed above but I don't think even Pep or Jose think this is as important a game as you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I would like to see Pogba do lots of really simple stuff really well, which he hasn't been doing. I think that is not too much to ask of world record signing regardless of age. If he can't do simple passing, tackling and positioning then what hope has he of ever becoming a 'world beater'.
    He has plenty time to bring all the Hollywood stuff.
    The way he plays currently is detrimental to the team, like if I was picking my best X1 at the minute, he probably wouldn't be in it.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was complaining about the depth or quality but more the balance in the midfields that have played. We haven't looked slick in that area at all, Herrera has done reasonably well but Pogba has underperformed. Someone beside Herrera to allow Pogba may allow more freedom. Id love Bastian back but he's a write off under Mourinho, Carrick or Schneiderlin need more game time.

They're that too,but it was mentioned by few that we still needed fixing

I don't disagree with rest of your post and I totally agree that balance has been meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Especially us? As bad as we were last week city are arguably on a worse run than us however Pep has already said it would be a weakened team he's putting out. If Pep plays a weak team then we hardly get much confidence from a win and moral will be screwed from a defeat.

That an top of the fact some players haven't had a rest makes me think there will be wholesale changes. Granted it might not be all I've listed above but I don't think even Pep or Jose think this is as important a game as you seem to think.

Man city are top of the table and in the champions league and are playing well. Unlucky last few weeks, we have just been poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the same premier league standard de gea was seen as not being up to early in his time here by many. Probably never should have bought him, so.

By many? By who? Just because SeanBateman was running around saying De Gea was overrated 5 years ago doesn't mean a damn thing, De Gea was performing at a very high level right from day one and everybody knew it, you can search my posts from that time if you wish, they will support this.

There is no comparison with De Gea, because he was actually performing well for us, not to mention he was only 20 at the time, not 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man city are top of the table and in the champions league and are playing well. Unlucky last few weeks, we have just been poor

It's what, five or six games without a win now? That's not unlucky, that's a trend. We had the same wi LVG during the two months without a win. "Yeah, but look at our league position!"

The longer a rut like that goes, the more long term damage it does. You would be crazy to think City won't be as hungry for this game.

It's the moveable force vs the stoppable object, but for both managers, it's a vital game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They've playing well and they've been unlucky? They were lucky it was only 2 against Spurs, they were battered by Barca, failed to beat either Everton or Southampton at home and haven't won in 6. A run like that is not down to playing well, but being unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »

It's what, five or six games without a win now? That's not unlucky, that's a trend. We had the same wi LVG during the two months without a win. "Yeah, but look at our league position!"

The longer a rut like that goes, the more long term damage it does. You would be crazy to think City won't be as hungry for this game.

It's the moveable force vs the stoppable object, but for both managers, it's a vital game.
    Might not be noticable from our United perspective, but there is similar questions being asked of Pep as there are of Mourinho. Decisions questioned etc. etc. Heard it a lot this week on podcasts that do fixture roundups and read a few decent columns on it too.
    All it takes is for a bad run for a narrative to "stick" and then its a climb uphill. All logic would dictate it's just a blip, any other manager would be afford some hiccups coming to a league for the first time and the likes. But you can see the knives are half drawn around England for Pep, especially in some parts of the media who has a history of not buying into the "foreign genius".
    Mourinho and the team just need to stop being the headline for a few rounds of fixtures. Burnley and the next like 6 weeks provides a pretty good shout to turn the entire narrative and by extension mood around to one being more positive.
    Few little hiccups in what is a run I expect win after win, and the heat will really turn on. We should be going into the Arsenal game three wins from three. Definitely two league wins. Anything less is unacceptable

They've playing well and they've been unlucky? They were lucky it was only 2 against Spurs, they were battered by Barca, failed to beat either Everton or Southampton at home and haven't won in 6. A run like that is not down to playing well, but being unlucky.

Played with 10 men against barca, they would have hammered anyone. Missed 2 penos against Everton, were very unlucky against Southampton, haven't won in 5 not 6. They are playing much better than us it's not even up for debate

They are also top of the table, scored 20 goals already

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Played with 10 men against barca, they would have hammered anyone. Missed 2 penos against Everton, were very unlucky against Southampton, haven't won in 5 not 6. They are playing much better than us it's not even up for debate

Spurs, Celtic, Everton, Barca, Southampton. 5 games without a win AKA 6 games since they last won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

City have not won in their last 5 games, that is not acceptable to them. And it shouldn't be either, I see it as a blip, a mini slump, but if it is not arrested quickly it will become a crisis, obviously I would like that. Perfect opportunity for both teams to edge ahead in the PR stakes tonight.

If we lose it will be the end of the world in the press, from opposition fans etc. If they lose it won't be as bad naturally from the media or ABU's in general but it will be pretty demoralizing to them hopefully, and the added pressure it brings won't hurt, which is all that matters to United. It is a chance to prove they can beat them, when most expect City to win.

I wouldn't go overboard either way based on tonight's outcome but picking up wins in these matches can be huge momentum builders and it would be nice to ride the crest of that wave ourselves for a while.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Chances missed are chances missed. It doesn't matter if it's a header from Pogba 3 yards out that crashed against the bar or a 12 yard spot kick.

I could list a handful of clear chances that we should have scored against both stoke and the other against Liverpool which would have us sitting at 20 points and top of the league.

It doesn't gloss over the cracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

By many? By who? Just because SeanBateman was running around saying De Gea was overrated 5 years ago doesn't mean a damn thing, De Gea was performing at a very high level right from day one and everybody knew it, you can search my posts from that time if you wish, they will support this.

There is no comparison with De Gea, because he was actually performing well for us, not to mention he was only 20 at the time, not 23.
    To say de gea was performing at a very high level right from the start and everyone knew it is revisionism at its very finest. He made a lot of errors and some absolute clanger, but it was clear how talented he was and that it was worth it for the long term benefit... which we have been reading ever since, albeit failing to capitalise on in other areas of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Celtic were amazing against City and were unlucky not to win it.

City played with 10 men against barca because their manager has made some awful mistakes and like Jose is a bit stubborn.

Who also chose to leave the best striker in the world on the bench against an aging Barca team who have been beaten at home recently by newly promoted Alavés.

I thought Southampton were fantastic and played very well.

I'm not buying this City are just unlucky and we're just rubbish.

Don't want to be praising city or anything but at least they are trying to play football, we are setting the team up like we are Stoke or west brom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well miki is back on the squad by looks of it and Rooney is out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm hoping city field a second string tonight

Although with our luck lately we would probably lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Luck has nothing to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't I hope they put out a full strength team it's the only way we will improve. There is no point in having false results and playing weak sides to keep us in it.

Don't want to be praising city or anything but at least they are trying to play football, we are setting the team up like we are Stoke or west brom!!

Against better teams, Jose is asking the team to be disciplined and defensive.

Against lesser teams, we absolutely are not "setting the team up like we are stoke or West Brom". Go away out of that. I'd argue we've been negative twice in 10 games this season. But most of the time, we're far more expressive and open than we were this time last year. Our finishing has been brutal, but we're playing far, far better football.

He's done this one game, against pool and for the 1st 30 minutes we dominated the game and pressed them high. Once the crowd were silenced and Liverpool a bit quieter we settled for the draw.

What other games do you see him setting up negatively for? Chelsea ? You're basing that on what? Lindegard and Rashford sitting deep for what all of the first 1 minute 30 seconds.

Klopp plays with Millner as a wing back and it's a revolution. Jose does it and it's a 5 at the back park the Bus tactic. Honest to Christ.

His game plan was clearly to have speed in the team and break with pace against a Chelsea back 3.

Leicster deployed the same tactic last year and according to the pundits it was a breath of fresh air

We could have done this if a weeks worth of tactics wasn't ****ed out the window after a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

According to Men who are usually spot on, No Smalling or TMF in the squad, reckon we will see either Darmian or Carrick at CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He's done this one game, against pool and for the 1st 30 minutes we dominated the game and pressed them high. Once the crowd were silenced and Liverpool a bit quieter we settled for the draw.

What other games do you see him setting up negatively for? Chelsea ? You're basing that on what? Lindegard and Rashford sitting deep for what all of the first 1 minute 30 seconds.

Klopp plays with Miller as a wing back and it's a revolution. Jose does it and it's a 5 at the back park the Bus tactic. Honest to Christ.

His game plan was clearly to have speed in the team and break with pace against a Chelsea back 3.

We could have done this if a weeks worth of tactics wasn't ****ed out the window after a minute.

What are you talking about? That's so random! You don't have to try and bring Klopp into everything. Milner is playing as a bog standard up and down the pitch left back, Rashford and Lingard/Young have been playing as auxiliary RB's/LB's in the last couple of games, more so against Liverpool.

What are you talking about? That's so random! You don't have to try and bring Klopp into everything. Milner is playing as a bog standard up and down the pitch left back, Rashford and Lingard/Young have been playing as auxiliary RB's/LB's in the last couple of games, more so against Liverpool.

Its not about Klopp. It's highlighted to show how the media portrayal can be very fickle.

It's the same as my point on leicster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Regardless of result tonight we need a fighting performance from all the players.

United are like a unmarked Tap at the moment

You don't know if it's going be hot or Cold when it turns on.

No point even predicting tonight's result, just hope it's a warm one.

Will be interested in starting team

I see Luke Shaws brother has bad word to say about Jose.

Just what we need...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I see Luke Shaws brother has bad word to say about Jose.

Just what we need...

Tweets that were deleted:

https://twitter.com/Tr16ia/status/791273139183448064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Luke and Rojo are going have some Craic.

What a mapper!!

Luke and Rojo are going have some Craic.

What a mapper!!

Muppets all over the place, apparently some are trying to get a 'Mourinho Out' protest underway outside OT tonight...

https://twitter.com/GetMourinhoOut/status/790229441628741632
    There will be a #MourinhoOut protest march outside Old Trafford before Wednesday night's Manchester derby. Banners and flags are welcome.
    Account has over 7,000 followers ffs.

Klopp plays with Millner as a wing back and it's a revolution. Jose does it and it's a 5 at the back park the Bus tactic. Honest to Christ.

Leicster deployed the same tactic last year and according to the pundits it was a breath of fresh air

Played defensive against all the big teams we played from the start while they all set up to attack us. We should have been the ones set up to attack from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Some people have waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

stankratz wrote: »
    Muppets all over the place, apparently some are trying to get a 'Mourinho Out' protest underway outside OT tonight...

https://twitter.com/GetMourinhoOut/status/790229441628741632

Account has over 7,000 followers ffs.

Probably 5000 Liverpool fans and the rest the entire city supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

No Micki again tonight...not even on the bench.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/791337684841140224

DDG, Valencia, Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Pogba, Rashford, Ibra.

Subs: Romero, Fellaini, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Memphis, Young.

Mkhitaryan not even on the bench is ****in ludicrous unless he's got an injury!

stankratz wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/791337684841140224

DDG, Valencia, Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Pogba, Rashford, Ibra.

Subs: Romero, Fellaini, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Memphis, Young.

Carrick Herrera and pogba, prayers have been answered!!

Where's martial?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ElChe32 wrote: »
    No Micki again tonight...not even on the bench.
    Mkhitaryan not even on the bench is ****in ludicrous unless he's got an injury!

Things must be bad if he can't make the LC squad - is he Utd's version of Alberto Aquilani or Lazar Markovic? Bad luck if he is esp given his much bigger reputation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Things must be bad if he can't make the LC squad - is he Utd's version of Alberto Aquilani or Lazar Markovic? Bad luck if he is esp given his much bigger reputation

In the same way Ronaldo was United's version of Anthony Le Tallec.

Carrick Herrera and pogba, prayers have been answered!!

Where's martial?!

Think him and Rooney weren't in the squad due to a minor injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rojo and Blind ffs

I don't think it's a talent issue keeping him out of the squad so Aquilani/Markovic post might be a bit premature. Only back from injury but has been fit the past week hopefully someone ask Jose in the press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Not worried about Miki. He was injured, no point in throwing him back in against city. Expect to see him back in the team soon.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Rojo and Blind ffs

No other options tbf. Smalling, Bailly and TFM all out injured

You'd wonder whats happening behind the scenes. Strikes me there's some delicate flowers who were happy with how LVG was running things....

Probably 5000 Liverpool fans and the rest the entire city supporter

Genuine LOL wp :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liam O wrote: »
    In the same way Ronaldo was United's version of Anthony Le Tallec.

Try reading what my post actually said - I did mention reputation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement