Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As I said before the game, I won't read too much in to the result. Its a great victory to have got, it will both drive on United and put some more pressure on City, the headlines tomorrow will be focused on Pep not winning in 6 rather then Jose being a "busted flush"

That can only be a good thing, Rojo even played well which was incredible to see and that unity between fans, manager and players was clear for all to see which is another positive thing to take from the match.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

A positive for me tonight was the difference the half time talk made, first and second half performance were like night and day. Huge improvement right through the side in second half. I'll give Mourinho that one. Credit where it's due.

secman wrote: »
    A positive for me tonight was the difference the half time talk made, first and second half performance were like night and day. Huge improvement right through the side in second half. I'll give Mourinho that one. Credit where it's due.

Kompany going off and Otamendi consistently ****ting the bed when Ibra came near him had a big say in it too. Kompany had Ibra very quiet, not like he was fantastic after the break, but he was good and Otamendi enjoys beating himself so much it made it that much easier for us.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not having a dig directly at you stringer but if we lost that game tonight I bet all the people that saying I wouldn't read into.the result or I won't get too excited over it would have a total different attitude.

Kompany going off and Otamendi consistently ****ting the bed when Ibra came near him had a big say in it too. Kompany had Ibra very quiet, not like he was fantastic after the break, but he was good and Otamendi enjoys beating himself so much it made it that much easier for us.

There's was a different attitude and intensity by United in second half. Kompany was only at hald pace, still not right, he had a relatively easy first half, nothing much to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As I said before the game, I won't read too much in to the result. Its a great victory to have got, it will both drive on United and put some more pressure on City, the headlines tomorrow will be focused on Pep not winning in 6 rather then Jose being a "busted flush"

That can only be a good thing, Rojo even played well which was incredible to see and that unity between fans, manager and players was clear for all to see which is another positive thing to take from the match.

Rojo has always been good at CB imo. His crossing is Valencia-esque (not a compliment) so not great at LB. He's not a bad defender imo.

On that subject I don't know why the team have persisted with the pointless crosses to nobody through 4 managers now. Shaw at least looks for another option, often playing a ball laterally across the box or behind him.

Robson99 wrote: »
    He was class to night. Has been one of our best performers all season and still some are looking for him to be dropped

Just getting up and down the wings does not a great RB make. He's bad in attack and suspect in defense imo, often having to recover and make reckless last ditch tackles. It would be fine if his attacking was good enough to match it but it's not and despite getting plenty of opportunities, rarely picks out a cross which is atrocious considering he used to be a winger.

Still hasn't added anything to his game in 5 years of being shut down going forward, even James McClean has changed some elements of his game to use a similar player comparison. Defenders figured out both of them in terms of going on the outside everytime. McClean developed his crossing and coming inside while Valencia retreated and became completely impotent, eventually becoming a right back.

Obviously Valencia has played at a higher level than McClean btw before someone says it, they're just similar style of players that I'm comparing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Second half was what you expect from a Mourinho team, high tempo, solid but dangerous.

We need to get that going on a consistent basis if we want to be up near the top, 6 points in the next 2 would be a nice confidence builder. Like tonight the next two games are ones we absolutely should win, no excuses. The players just need to get the job done and build from there.

I think we've learned not to be too optimistic however.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Not having a dig directly at you stringer but if we lost that game tonight I bet all the people that saying I wouldn't read into.the result or I won't get too excited over it would have a total different attitude.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101469547&postcount=7915
    Me wrote:
    City have not won in their last 5 games, that is not acceptable to them. And it shouldn't be either, I see it as a blip, a mini slump, but if it is not arrested quickly it will become a crisis, obviously I would like that. Perfect opportunity for both teams to edge ahead in the PR stakes tonight.

If we lose it will be the end of the world in the press, from opposition fans etc. If they lose it won't be as bad naturally from the media or ABU's in general but it will be pretty demoralizing to them hopefully, and the added pressure it brings won't hurt, which is all that matters to United. It is a chance to prove they can beat them, when most expect City to win.

I wouldn't go overboard either way based on tonight's outcome but picking up wins in these matches can be huge momentum builders and it would be nice to ride the crest of that wave ourselves for a while.

I certainly wouldn't have felt any different and nailed my colours to the mast regarding this game at about 3.30 today. So not all of those who said they won't read into it would have a totally different attitude.

Every single point I made in my early post still applies to me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101469547&postcount=7915

I certainly wouldn't have felt any different and nailed my colours to the mast regarding this game at about 3.30 today. So not all of those who said they won't read into it would have a different attitude.

Every single point I made in my early post still applies to me.

As I said I wasn't having a go at you but people were panicking get after one result but the next result they sating you can't read into it or do they get excited.

I won't get excited the same way I wobrought panic and worry too much about the manager when we have a very bad off day against Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pep spent more than Mourinho last summer and I don't think I've seen it mentioned at all, Mourinho is the under pressure chequebook manager.

Whether we like it or not United and Mourinho are gold for the media, will sell far more papers than City and Pep. It would take a run of 3 or 4 games dropping points before Pep would be in the spotlight, United lost to City and Mourinho was being hanged the next morning despite a good start before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pep spent more than Mourinho last summer and I don't think I've seen it mentioned at all, Mourinho is the under pressure chequebook manager.

Whether we like it or not United and Mourinho are gold for the media, will sell far more papers than City and Pep. It would take a run of 3 or 4 games dropping points before Pep would be in the spotlight, United lost to City and Mourinho was being hanged the next morning despite a good start before that.

I'm glad Pep isn't under the same pressure as Mourinho tbh. All of it is ridiculous. Two great managers, 9 league games into their tenure at new clubs yet it's all clichéd nonsense, blindly pawing around for the next thing that fits the narrative. People say that the money in the game these days is what taints their experience with football. For me, it's the utterly moronic knee jerking after every few results that gets tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

That is annoying Sane cost nearly as much as Martial and not a peep out of anyone about his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bmcc10 wrote: »
    That is annoying Sane cost nearly as much as Martial and not a peep out of anyone about his price.

It doesnt realky matter what people think about Sane or Martial, because prices are all relative these days. When 30 million is pocket change, your club pays through the nose. Clubs negotiate differently with City and United, so the prices of the players go through the roof. A 50m player bought by City or United doesent have the meaning most think it does. It's always over inflated, but both parties usually come away happy because in reality, it barely puts a dent in the annual turnover. I don't feel like the football world has really caught up to the finances of the mega clubs, so they still associate 50m, or even 100m, with being mega money when in reality, these clubs could do this each summer if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paper talk that Inter want Rooney,also Southgate says he's a starter for England even if he isn't playing for United.

They fighting with the Chelsea fans inside the stadium.

Hipster hooligan.

39BF4E9D00000578-3876236-image-a-57_1477515689128.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bFhjSBp.png

:)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

:)

88kz6fy.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Mata and Herrera'a attitudes were fantastic. Worked their socks off to out city under pressure. Both on form should be nailed on starters for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

KH25 wrote: »
    Mata and Herrera'a attitudes were fantastic. Worked their socks off to out city under pressure. Both on form should be nailed on starters for me.

The whole team looked energised in the second half in particular, some great closing down and persistence, something we haven't seen in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

zerks wrote: »
    Hipster hooligan.

39BF4E9D00000578-3876236-image-a-57_1477515689128.jpg

"You're going home in a vintage ambulance".

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You must have forgotten that United are THE MOST EXPENSIVE SQUAD EVER ASSEMBLED, EVAAAAAAR!!!!!

Even when other teams are running well their fans still cannot ignore us when any blip happens.

Look at the match thread last night for example.

A substantial collection of non City fans just waiting for City to score.

Most amusing to me is that the City fan that was rampant in Sundays match thread posted maybe once or twice in the thread last night, a thread about a match city were involved in.

It says all you need to know tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You must have forgotten that United are THE MOST EXPENSIVE SQUAD EVER ASSEMBLED, EVAAAAAAR!!!!!

Even when other teams are running well their fans still cannot ignore us when any blip happens.

Most amusing to me is that the City fan that was rampant in Sundays match thread posted maybe once or twice in the thread last night, a thread about a match city were involved in.

Surely you mean the Chelsea fan ;)

Or is it Barca

Or Bayern

Or is it some other team that is winning trophies these days.

astradave wrote: »
    Surely you mean the Chelsea fan ;)

Or is it Barca

Or Bayern

Or is it some other team that is winning trophies these days.

Ha ha ha, no no, i mean an actual City fan, not a fan of whomever is winning.

Yes but that's because last night result didn't matter to them.

Six games without a win?
    Beat your city rival?
    Stop a run of no defeats?
    Stay in a cup competition?

They be grand sure they top of the league nothing to worry about.

I would find it devastating if they didn't win the weekend I'd have to go ask their few fans if they were worried about the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Sick of saying it but I will say it again, Carrick makes our team so much better. His passing and positional play is top class, we are much more organised when he is on the field and are more fluid as a team. Carrick Herrera and pogba have to be our midfield IMO. Delighted to see schneiderlain come on as well

bangkok wrote: »
    Sick of saying it but I will say it again, Carrick makes our team so much better. His passing and positional play is top class, we are much more organised when he is on the field and are more fluid as a team. Carrick Herrera and pogba have to be our midfield IMO. Delighted to see schneiderlain come on as well

It's a pity he isn't 5 years younger.

It does however illustrate the type of player we need.

I'd really love to see Morgan getting a decent shot with Ander.

He showed in his cameo last night that he is a very clever footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Parking the bus, hoof ball and whatever.

https://streamable.com/ub2a

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Parking the bus, hoof ball and whatever.

https://streamable.com/ub2a

Pure class by Mata and Herrera

Schneiderlin and Herrera have been toxic whenever they've played together. I don't know why people keep forgetting this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

When the likes of Liverpool lose, they have to put up with United fans and maybe the odd fan or 2 from other teams.

When United lose its like as if City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, barca, Madrid etc fans become best friends and join together.

Mourinho has even increased the hatred.

Hopefully a proper siege mentality is created

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Liam O wrote: »
    Schneiderlin and Herrera have been toxic whenever they've played together. I don't know why people keep forgetting this...

Pretty much every midfield pairing was toxic over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep forgetting this...

Probably because they have only played together once this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Unearthly wrote: »
    When the likes of Liverpool lose, they have to put up with United fans and maybe the odd fan or 2 from other teams.

When United lose its like as if City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, barca, Madrid etc fans become best friends and join together.

Mourinho has even increased the hatred.

Hopefully a proper siege mentality is created

Just need to start winning things again to be really, really hated.

José has been charged by the FA over his comments about the ref before the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jose has been charged with misconduct now officially by the FA. More fuel for the siege mentality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jesus, what he said was completely innocuous. Thats ridiculous.

Squad picture 2016

14570386_10154163653387746_5944297052759176813_n.jpg?oh=75546c75a4afb02f21d23ec9f64db901&oe=588F9655

Better quality but too big to embed without killing the site:
    http://www.manutd.com/~/media/655736795C7B48BCB471DAB754C58DA2.ashx?w=2560&h=1600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jesus, what he said was completely innocuous. Thats ridiculous.

Squad picture 2016

14570386_10154163653387746_5944297052759176813_n.jpg?oh=75546c75a4afb02f21d23ec9f64db901&oe=588F9655

Better quality but too big to embed without killing the site:
    http://www.manutd.com/~/media/655736795C7B48BCB471DAB754C58DA2.ashx?w=2560&h=1600

There seems to be a pole attached to Phil Jones holding him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like I said yesterday he could have played it two ways, and going with the strong team he made it an important game and a game he couldn't lose. Deserves some credit for doing that, as it could have been easier to field a weaker team and have the excuse ready.

Performance was pretty ok. Ibrahimovic was pretty poor but have to say I've been surprised by his work ethic. He keeps going, doesn't hide and tries to play his way back into a game where he's poor. He had some lovely little touches and sliced open their defence a few times. Although missed a sitter and first half he was a bit all over the place. Can appreciate why he is being persisted with as opposed to say when Rooney was in his rut.

Pogba again, flashes of what will hopefully come, flashes of why he is in a rut. A bit too much flicks and trying to replicate his Adidas ad. He's losing possesion a lot, needs to get back to basics and play his way back into confident form.

Herrera has just solidified himself as one of the first names on the teamsheet. Dogged, aggressive and harrying people while being good in possesion. Those little neat turns he does under pressure are so good. His understanding and play with Mata is also clearly something to harness. The two of them are just always on the same wavelength.

Was happy for Rojo. He has had a torrid time. By all accounts he's a likeable person with a good work ethic that has just had a rubbish time with injuries and consistency. Was a bit wasteful in possesion but thought he was showing glimpses of that no sense, aggressive style of defending. Don't think I recall him putting a foot wrong, so happy for him and hopefully a confidence builder for him.

Shaw was a massive concern. Navas is a one trick pony and an utterly underwhelming winger for a club like City. That he was getting roasted for pace so consistently was such a massive worry. I'm still yet to be convinced by Shaw that he was money well spent. I suppose I need to be more patient with him, but his pace was supposed to be his coverup for his clear defensive defencies and lapses. That was massively concerning to see him get roasted like that.
    Mata with another good performance. Really does seem to delivery in big games.

Outside of that nothing really major. Rashford starting to look less and less influencial, one good run from memory but its going to be hard being a winger under Mourinho and I tend to just dislike strikers being shoehorned out wide.

West Ham at home you'd be confident of picking up a win, and I guess from the team selection last night this is probably a trophy worth going for in Mourinhos mind. A trophy is never to be sniffed at, although the League Cup is never anything to go mental about. But might just put a bit of faith into the manager and methods if a trophy arrives(from players and fans).

Atmosphere came across really well on TV. Was good to see 74k+ for a cup game. Be nice if the atmosphere was like that more often. Still feel OT is way too flat.
    A chance for the team to now change the narrative and mood a bit. Potential to go 4 wins on the spin before Arsenal

• Advertisement

To be honest I think the point of being that explicity (And I know I was beforehand) is to maintain some consistency.
    I doubt City fans are going to be freaking out today over the result. They had a much changed side which puts the excuse in early, and Peps comments post game cement that.
    And that is a perfectly fine stance to take and have, and I wouldn't have put it past Mourinho to have done the same.

One of the over riding critiques of Guardiola is his record in the transfer market. It is nothing to really write home about. And that is fine, no manager is perfect. But he has been pretty wasteful with money in the past.

Mourinho while clearly being a manager with a record of fixing problems by acquiring established talents, has a pretty good record with transfers. When issues arise with transfers, it usually always transpires to be the club not backing him, and having that silly expectation that a title can be retained with no freshening up.

Don't think anyone would attribute last summers Chelsea signings to be anything to do with Mourinho.

KH25 wrote: »

The more I see Hererra in this team,how he orchestrates and sets the tone with his tackling and how he speaks, the more I see our next captain after Rooney.

If there was a bit more nuance and I don't know, brains, in the Manchester correspondents pit, they'd be pressing Mourinho on the likes of Schneiderlan and getting some actual answers as to what is happening.

Instead they seem more interested in hunting gosspiy exclusives relating to Memphis, Schneiderlan and obviously Mhky, instead of just asking him.

I still don't see Carrick as the solution to anything. Anything he does, Schneiderlan can do, expect being younger, faster and having a much greater engine. Think I recall Carrick hitting one pass in behind to Mata who strayed offside last night. A pass that the commentators had a little **** over, but a pass that any of our midfielders could play maybe bar Fellaini

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    The more I see Hererra in this team,how he orchestrates and sets the tone with his tackling and how he speaks, the more I see our next captain after Rooney.

If we had 11 players with the intensity and passion of Herrera and Mata, we'd be flying.

Quotes from Herrera last night.

"I feel it like them. I know I'm not English & I'm not from Manchester, but I really love this club & I have enjoyed my time here. I don’t want to be just one more player. I want to show that I am very happy here and I want to be here for as long as possible."

Shaw just needs time on the pitch. Look at what 45 min did for him last night. In first half he didn't get one block in, crosses came in at will. Second half , don't think 1 cross came in , he had winger in his pocket. He had a horrible break let us not forget. He will get stronger and fitter with games under his belt.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If we had 11 players with the intensity and passion of Herrera and Mata, we'd be flying.

Quotes from Herrera last night.

"I feel it like them. I know I'm not English & I'm not from Manchester, but I really love this club & I have enjoyed my time here. I don’t want to be just one more player. I want to show that I am very happy here and I want to be here for as long as possible."

The important thing is he clearly shows it. When he scores against league 1 teams, when he tackles in big games, everything he does.

Fans can always tell the ones who just say the rights things, and those that actually do love the club. It's easy to see why fans love him, even considering he has failed to established himself (I don't think we can even be 100% sure now)

If he keeps going the way he is going, will go along way to making our team better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would like to see more of that Herrera, Pogba, Carrick midfield - I think it is balanced well. Or bring Schneiderlin in for Carrick. We need to provide a platform and some freedom to Pogba and Herrera, imo.

Would also like to see more of Ibra on the bench. Absolutely rubbish again last night. Put Rooney or Martial up front instead (or Rashford, with martial taking the wide spot from Rashford)

Would like to see more of that Herrera, Pogba, Carrick midfield - I think it is balanced well. Or bring Schneiderlin in for Carrick. We need to provide a platform and some freedom to Pogba and Herrera, imo.

Would also like to see more of Ibra on the bench. Absolutely rubbish again last night. Put Rooney or Martial up front instead (or Rashford, with martial taking the wide spot from Rashford)

I've been wondering are we seeing a move to Mourinho's more legacy 4-3-3 as opposed his 4-2-3-1.

Always maintain his 4-3-3 and that Chelsea team could have ruined us if he didn't fall out with Mourinho. I don't think I've ever really been impressed in that time by any other team that looks so powerful and menacing.

Even playing City at in their Pomp under Mancini I didn't fear them as I did Mourinhos MKI Chelsea team.

Core to that was a three man powerful midfield, anchored by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are normally pretty good at going over what happened in a game but you seen a different game to me last night. I thought Ibra was excellent doing an old fashioned centre forwards job, actually very similar to what Drogba did for Chelsea in his first couple of years there under Mourinho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement