Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jose getting himself didnt help. He is there to set the tone.

Another bad week for Jose. With Ander going off why bring on Fellaini? Just move Blind forward if you want another mf, or ya know, let Pogba do something!

Except for Ander and Mata, no other player has shown any progression after nearly 4 months!

Second time the opposition keeper has had a blinder! Or maybe our finishing is just cack.

Seroius crisis for Jose now. He has been sent off today, under investigation by FA, 8 points adrift, no goals, has created some bs with MickyR.

At the moment is doing a lousy job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Don't know if I'd go as far as "We're done."

The results have been poor and but with Swansea and West Ham both struggling in the league they are must win games next month.

Worrying result alright but the league is not decided in October. Plenty of football left, but we do need to improve.

Goals still seem a problem. 1 goal in last 4 games. We need someone to hit some great scoring form.

Two more draws if this and stoke are anything to go by.

I could post a long critique of what i think went wrong today and what's wrong with united at the minute but im too ****ing annoyed, i need a pint :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thought we played well to be honest

Another two points dropped though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Thought we played well to be honest

Another two points dropped though

On any other day, even after going down to 10 men, we would have won that game and it could have been a game that really galvanised the squad at a time when it is badly needed.

Unfortunately the bit in bold is the most important part given the run we are currently on and a great performance isn't going to be worth much when we are slipping further and further behind:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

jayo26 wrote: »
    Imagine the fun chicarito would of had there today:( :( I hate lvg

All he did was score goals, but that isn't fashionable anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Very frustrating day, obviously. They are getting better though and I find it hard to criticise them from that game, the amount of chances and shots on goal created was great to see. The interplay which is improving every game was superb at times. The finishing was poor mostly, but even when it wasn't the keeper was excellent or a defender got himself in the right place, you have to credit them for that.

Ibrahimovic needs a rest I think, he looked leggy today even though he still showed flashes of his class, I think Mourinho is trying to play him into goalscoring form but I think a rest could do him the world of good. Let Martial or Rashford have a couple of games leading the line, use their pace and movement against the team who are going to camp outside their own box. Too many times today the ball was played in front of the defence instead of in behind which is where you need to be to cause the blanket defence trouble.

The ref was poor, as he so often is in United games, honestly I hate seeing him almost as much as Atkinson. I never feel like anything is going to go our way in that regard and so it was again today, they say it evens out over the season but it obviously doesn't. I understand why Mourinho brought on Fellaini but I would have preferred Carrick to come on in that situation, or even Morgan. Carrick could pick a pass which with Mata going off was going to be very important.

Lingard had a bad day at the office, Pogba had his best game for a while, possibly his best all round performance since signing but it wasn't enough. Darmian did well and I wouldn't mind him keeping his place for a while even though he had nothing to do defensively. Rojo was alright again, Shaw good but still rusty at times, will take him a while to get fully up to speed I suppose. Mata was very good creatively, Rashford is wasted out wide and his decision making is still that of a player with his experience, circumstance seem to dictate he plays right now though, from wide, Memphis must be showin very little in training.

Rooney, well to be honest its just sad for me watching Rooney these days, the simple things seem so tough for him. I won't have a go today except to say he should have hit the target with the great move off the corner. All in all its more points dropped that are desperately needed but its not all doom and gloom, they were absolutely battered today and if the performance level continues to hit that mark the team is in great stead going forward. Herrera going off hurt us badly I felt, he was stupid to lunge the way he did but very unlucky to be sent off considering he clearly slipped when pulling out of a tackle. I think with 11 on the field the goal would have come, a few too many players looked heavy legged toward the end from the extra running and intensity required when gone down to 10.

The difference in the team this season to last is night and day and I have no real long term concerns, as a result in isolation you shrug your shoulders and have a little chuckle at todays one, unfortunately it comes while on a poor run of results so will be magnified more then it should.

On to the next.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Jose getting himself didnt help. He is there to set the tone.

Another bad week for Jose. With Ander going off why bring on Fellaini? Just move Blind forward if you want another mf, or ya know, let Pogba do something!

Except for Ander and Mata, no other player has shown any progression after nearly 4 months!

Second time the opposition keeper has had a blinder! Or maybe our finishing is just cack.

Seroius crisis for Jose now. He has been sent off today, under investigation by FA, 8 points adrift, no goals, has created some bs with MickyR.

At the moment is doing a lousy job

why are you surprised? Same old Jose, done the same at pretty much all his clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

why are you surprised? Same old Jose, done the same at pretty much all his clubs

Well there was that and also the winning trophies part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have absolutely no doubt that if I look far enough into your post history there will be dozens of posts backing him up over doing stupid ****. At least be consistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Remember all the talk on here in the last couple of seasons along the lines of "even if the results aren't going our way once I'm seeing some progress and promising signs I'll be happy enough"(paraphrasing)?

Time to remember that now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Thought we were very good today. Heaton was excellent and Clattenburg wasn't going to give us anything by the looks of it, added to Zlatan's inexplicable lack of composure on numerous occasions, it just wasn't happening.

When Heaton made that save from Zlatan's acrobatic effort, you knew it wasn't going to be our day. I hope Zlatan isn't going to be like Rooney under van Gaal in that he will play regardless of form.

I don't think it's the pace of the game that he's struggling with like many are saying, he has just been very careless of late.
    He is still getting in positions to score but fluffing so many chances. Is he finally losing his confidence?

I think we're cursed when it comes to big name players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I have absolutely no doubt that if I look far enough into your post history there will be dozens of posts backing him up over doing stupid ****. At least be consistent

No... Love the trophies and his first season with Chelsea, but has become a complete pantomime and afraid to say Charlton was right all along.

Of course, he might still get a top 4 finish but as someone who watched the incredible implosion of him last season the warning signs are there already

At least he has you playing better football than he did with us, the stodgy football he found out with us was only ever made palatable by the trophies.
    And the fact that both Carlo and RDM achieved more in my eyes says it all

Not a fan

No... Love the trophies and his first season with Chelsea, but has become a complete pantomime and afraid to say Charlton was right all along.

Of course, he might still get a top 4 finish but as someone who watched the incredible implosion of him last season the warning signs are there already

At least he has you playing better football than he did with us, the stodgy football he found out with us was only ever made palatable by the trophies.

Not a fan

It probably says even more then you think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Today's results couldn't be more of a "Fúck you" to United.

We can't score one goal at home against shíte while Arsenal, City and Liverpool score 4 away to dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not a fan

Clearly
    Great game, well deserved win, Jose is GOD

Fickle fans be fickle

First page of your post history using "Jose", away outta that with your wumming

Edit: Actually next page is great stuff.. in reply to a poster saying surely Pep is the greatest of all time :pac:
    rubbish. Only been at 2 really big clubs with limitless budgets with 2 clubs expected to win their respective leagues
    Jose has done it at many more, with small and large budgets and with none favourite clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am one of the few I reckon who was very pleased with today.

Today was like the old United. Pressure pressure pressure. If we could have only bloody scored.

Annoyed at result, but I thought the performance maybe bar Rojo was excellent.

Pogba turned up, ya it was against Burnley but we should have least scored 4 and easily have been 6-7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »
    Clearly

Fickle fans be fickle

First page of your post history using "Jose", away outta that with your wumming

Edit: Actually next page is great stuff.. in reply to a poster saying surely Pep is the greatest of all time :pac:

9552999378_fc798f3e1f_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Today was like the old United. Pressure pressure pressure. If we could have only bloody scored.

Pogba turned up, ya it was against Burnley but we should have least scored 4 and easily have been 6-7.

Aye, its disappointing but what can you do.

Very similar to to Stoke game.

We should have had at least 3 or 4 and it was one of those games that if you get one the floodgates generally open.

We are going in the right direction and the results will come.

Not worried tbh.

I can stomach a season of real progress as long as we get CL football.

and pray to god Liverpool don't win the league

Aye, its disappointing but what can you do.

Very similar to to Stoke game.

We should have had at least 3 or 4 and it was one of those games that if you get one the floodgates generally open.

We are going in the right direction and the results will come.

Not worried tbh.

I'm not too worried either. We really do have to start winning very soon though if want challenge for league, but if we continue to play the way we have against Stoke and Burnley we get rub of green eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

People have short memories,only 6 months or so ago we'd have been 0-0 and playing sideways and backwards as if we were trying not to score.We had more attempts today than what we'd have seen in a dozen games under LVG.
    Yes the result sucks but the performance was light years ahead of 99% of what we saw over the last 3 seasons.

zerks wrote: »
    People have short memories,only 6 months or so ago we'd have been 0-0 and playing sideways and backwards as if we were trying not to score.We had more attempts today than what we'd have seen in a dozen games under LVG.
    Yes the result sucks but the performance was light years ahead of 99% of what we saw over the last 3 seasons.

It really was and the passing was nice and crisp.

Jose needs to get boys practising their shooting, but otherwise I thought it was nice to see us actually play well for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paul Pogba passing vs Burnley.

Paul-Pogba-passing-vs-Burnley-0-90-minutes.png?w=499

Juan Mata passing vs Burnley.

Juan-Mata-vs-Burnley-0-90-mins.png?w=499

Zlatan Ibrahimovic shooting vs Burnley.

Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-shots-v-Burnley.png?w=497

Wayne Rooney passing vs Burnley.

Wayne-Rooney-passing-vs-Burnley-72-90.png?w=501

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    Time to remember that now.

Indeed. Somebody said earlier that there was no "progression" in the last four months, going from averaging one shot per game to 36 sounds like a bit of progression to me.

We have a long way to go but at least we are watchable again. I don't care what the results are or what the other teams are doing, our performances have improved and I think they will continue to improve.

Gotta love that sideways movement of the ball from Wazza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I thinks it's fair to say we're in a crisis,1 league win in 7,8 points off the top,9 when you factor in GD and 5 away from the top 4,6 when you factor in GD there as well. We're currently,no more then a mid table side and the table proves that. This season has got a similar feeling to the 13/14 season,with a lot of the same rehashed,excuses popping up whenever we're on the end of a horrendous result.

I'm sick of seeing those two going about and turning over teams,with ease while we constantly stumble on along in the hope it'll all turn around,into the season we all so hoped for,after all our summer activity. I'm slowly beginning too lose patience with Jose. He either sorts it out or he can join the other two before him who failed too bring this magnificent club back too the top of English football. We could be in 9th place come tomorrow evening. Simple unacceptable and embarrassing.

Those two? One of them being the first win in 7 City is it?

Anyway, I don't think its fair to say we are in crisis. We are progressing alright, we should be winning more then we are but we are a long way from where we were at the end of last season and the future is looking bright. The team is starting to play with real passion again, like a United team of old.

Just relax and stay patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

37 shots with 11 on target, their keeper had the game of his life today, he was class.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I thinks it's fair to say we're in a crisis,1 league win in 7,8 points off the top,9 when you factor in GD and 5 away from the top 4,6 when you factor in GD there as well. We're currently,no more then a mid table side and the table proves that. This season has got a similar feeling to the 13/14 season,with a lot of the same rehashed,excuses popping up whenever we're on the end of a horrendous result.

I'm sick of seeing those two going about and turning over teams,with ease while we constantly stumble on along in the hope it'll all turn around,into the season we all so hoped for,after all our summer activity. I'm slowly beginning too lose patience with Jose. He either sorts it out or he can join the other two before him who failed too bring this magnificent club back too the top of English football. We could be in 9th place come tomorrow evening. Simple unacceptable and embarrassing.

In fairness I can't talk cause sometimes I make stupid comments and rash thinking.(your post isn't either I'm just saying I don't agree about crisis bit and I'll explain)

Stoke was annoying. Today was annoying.

But the difference between today or Stoke and a Moyes/LVG team is that we should have won both games by half time where as in the last few seasons it's been DDG saves we have depended on.

Now I don't forget last week. That was horrible. Simply not good enough and we were very weak mentally. But I think today showed a fighting spirit in the side and they kept believing. Not seen that from United in a while.

Yes we have to, have to, have start winning soon!! Or it's bye bye PL for another season.

But the attitude of players is making me believe. Mata seems like a new man. DDG isn't having to rescue us a fifth of time as he used to.

Yes we been crap in games like Watford and Chelsea, but even today I questioned myself and I'm starting to believe we may not be too far away from going on a run. We just need a break or a game where everything goes in and we may push on.

Of course I have said same few times last few seasons, but attitude and the way we played today gives me more hope than before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

This

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

pray to god Liverpool don't win the league

Liverpool are gone to 2nd favourites to win the league behind City after todays win at Palace. When they lose their next match and the odds drift a bit I'm throwing a few quid on them to win it. It's the only thing that could help dull the pain of seeing them back at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

37 shots with 11 on target, their keeper had the game of his life today, he was class.

Felt like every game of FIFA against AI on World Class

Quandary wrote: »
    Liverpool are gone to 2nd favourites to win the league behind City after todays win at Palace. When they lose their next match and the odds drift a bit I'm throwing a few quid on them to win it. It's the only thing that could help dull the pain of seeing them back at the top.

I actually backed them after Chelsea game. If they do win league it will pay me to go on holiday and get hell out for week while they celebrate :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And there should be absolutely nothing surprising about this. Why he is playing every minute of every game is a definite criticism for me.

I absolutely agree. The guy needs a few games off or if not, then sub him in Solskjaer style for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Any word yet on how long Val will be out? Good for Darmian as he deserves a chance, but I'll miss Val :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It be grand lads
    20161029_212625.jpgwhat crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Won't traipse over what is likely already to be well covered ground.

But at the end of the day all of it(which you've likely covered) it just another excuse for dropping points against weak opposition.

Another absolutely pathetic result from a pathetic set of players, who seemingly are totally unaware, and not being made aware, of the legacy they are destroying which took two decades to build. While I wouldn't blame Mourinho at all for today, bar his ridiculous sending off, and someone needs to have a word with him, I'm seeing absolutely nothing to display why we replaced Van Gaal, nothing.

And that could be a damning as anything.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm seeing absolutely nothing to display why we replaced Van Gaal, nothing.

Bullshit.

We have improved obviously, now we are missing tons of chances whereas the last 3 years we didn't even create them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

https://vine.co/v/5pOdriTr1tx

They need a striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't think anybody could forget about the last 3 years. Christ! We probably had more shots on goal today than all of last season. The players effort and attitude cannot be faulted today and for me, Jose is delivering upon his promise to attack. We had wave after wave of attacks and we could have easily won 4-0. Some of the inter-play was excellent but we just couldn't finish.

My main concern stems from the fact that we absolutely battered Stoke & Burnley at home. Over these two games I think we had 75 shots at goal and scored only once. We're now 8 points off the lead and we need to get more clinical in front of goal or else it will only get worse.

Of course it's a breath of fresh air to see United playing attacking football again. But I've put the last 3 years behind me, the next step we need now is to have more ruthlessness in front of goal. I'm confident Jose will sort out the wastefulness in front of goal, I just hope he can do it asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mata <3

Can't believe some people wouldn't have minded him being sold over the summer :eek:

My main concern stems from the fact that we absolutely battered Stoke & Burnley at home. Over these two games I think we had 75 shots at goal and scored only once.

To my mind, that is a far easier problem to fix than if we weren't creating chances at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Paul Pogba passing vs Burnley.

Paul-Pogba-passing-vs-Burnley-0-90-minutes.png?w=499

Juan Mata passing vs Burnley.

Juan-Mata-vs-Burnley-0-90-mins.png?w=499

Zlatan Ibrahimovic shooting vs Burnley.

Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-shots-v-Burnley.png?w=497

Wayne Rooney passing vs Burnley.

Wayne-Rooney-passing-vs-Burnley-72-90.png?w=501

Love how after todays game, where he only came on with around 15 minutes to go Rooney and his stats are still brought up.

It's somewhat funny how much he is aimed at in terms of criticism. Zlatan missed a great point blank effort and only a few rumbles were said about it, but generally it was more of a "he should have done better" tone. Then Rooney missed the effort at the corner and it was deemed "awful" by some.

Rooney has been poor, hence why he has been moved to the bench. I love Zlatan but if we are going the stats route the man hasn't contributed to any goals (0 assists and 0 goals) in the last 6 PL games, playing as the main striker. It's gas to me how it's overlooked by many but if Rooney so much as farts on the bench it's pounced on.

I agree with people talking about good signs with the possession and attacking football but again I'm just a bit concerned at our display in front of goal. In our October spell in the PL we only managed 1 goal. In our first 10 games this season only 3 times we have scored more than 1 goal. To me that is a bit concerning.

We really need someone to hit some form in front of goal. I wouldn't mind seeing Rashford at some point playing up top if Zlatan continues his drought and Martial out on the left. But hopefully Zlatan can find some good form and start regularly scoring.

Anyway, it's only October and a long way to go, you'd hope we would get back on track with a win against Swansea now next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Is anyone else seriously amused by thedoc's posts? The fella has gone through Moyes and lvg era's being critical but being reserved in it but now we have mourinho its all out attack, from the last couple of posts I've read from him.

I am. 😊

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's somewhat funny how much he is aimed at in terms of criticism. Zlatan missed a great point blank effort and only a few rumbles were said about it, but generally it was more of a "he should have done better" tone.

A few rumbles? Pretty much everybody has said that Zlatan has been poor and needs to come out of the team, everybody has pointed the finger at him and quite rightly put the blame on the chances he has missed.

Nobody has overlooked it, multiple people have posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

user2011 wrote: »
    Is anyone else seriously amused by thedoc's posts? The fella has gone through Moyes and lvg era's being critical but being reserved in it but now we have mourinho its all out attack, from the last couple of posts I've read from him.

I am. 😊

I'm not blaming the manager, I'm sick of these players

Dropped points against Watford, Stoke and now Burnley. It's absolute garbage

user2011 wrote: »

I am. 😊

Its ridiculous. He constantly made excuses for Van Gaal, tried to find cherries in two years of football garbage and preached about giving the manager time, yet for some reason now its games like todays that are destroying two decades worth of legacy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm not blaming the manager, I'm sick of these players

Dropped points against Watford, Stoke and now Burnley. It's absolute garbage

When you compare lvg to today's game it very much sounds like management blaming.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement