Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is something that I actually hate about referees nowadays.

Darmian is flat on the ground. Either it's a penalty (he's gone to ground cause there's contact) or it's a dive (he's gone to ground with no contact). If it's a dive, then it's a yellow.

Or option c, contact yes, but not a penno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

BMMachine wrote: »
    02b.jpg

but yeah my mistake. My post doesn't count Fred, you can cross it off on the little on going league in your head

"Little victories"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Darmian had a really good game yesterday id still have him above valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

November in two days is it time for potential window shopping of new recruits yet. Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryan may as well be given a run out at this stage or will they stay off radar.

I really, really hope not.

It's not my money so I don't care but I'm tired of this "Shít, spending loads didn't work. Lets try again." approach. A lot has been spent, this squad either sinks or swims now.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I really, really hope not.

It's not my money so I don't care but I'm tired of this "Shít, spending loads didn't work. Lets try again." approach. A lot has been spent, this squad either sinks or swims now.

I still think we are short of a Griezman or another fast clinical finisher. We have rashford and Martial in the squad that have all the attributes and potential and they not getting a sniff of center forward spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Can't understand why Martial and Rashford have not been tried up front together (I know Martial has been injured or has he ?)
    It's not like Ibra and Rooney are scoring for fun, we can't hit a barn door in the league ffs. Our GD is derisory let alone our points tally. Was trying to remember our last league win, eventually remembered it was against Leicester city. Our lead up play is a big positive though, just need finishing, over to you Mou:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

14732259_1188809514533739_5216375702681067677_n.jpg?oh=23426f1eb4997ca29f4f2360fd4ecd10&oe=58D4AE72

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

4-4-2 with Martial and Rashford up top would be nice to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

secman wrote: »
    Can't understand why Martial and Rashford have not been tried up front together (I know Martial has been injured or has he ?)
    It's not like Ibra and Rooney are scoring for fun, we can't hit a barn door in the league ffs. Our GD is derisory let alone our points tally. Was trying to remember our last league win, eventually remembered it was against Leicester city. Our lead up play is a big positive though, just need finishing, over to you Mou:)

It's a catch 22. We won't get that build up play without Ibrahimovic, but he's also the finishing problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't understand why Martial and Rashford have not been tried up front together

Because Martial has been poor and Rashford shouldn't be starting every game anyway. (Interesting that in Zlatan and Rashford we have two players who should be used sparingly but who are both being used in every game, just illustrates how poor all the other options have been)

I'd like to see them playing up top as much as anybody, but I can see why it might not be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think 4-3-3 is way to go with 1 mid Carrick, Fellaini or Morgan dropping back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think 4-3-3 is way to go with 1 mid Carrick, Fellaini or Morgan dropping back

Middle of the park has played better without Fellani

Robson99 wrote: »

Agree mainly, although against Liverpool I thought he was close to MOTM

He has he assets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I only saw the half hour highlights pack on SS.... looks like we played really well, Mata seemed immense I the central no.10 role...more of that please.
    Some of the saves were insane. Ibra really should have buried the one into the open goal though.

Just on the criticism of TheDoc and his opinion on Mourinho vs his opinion on Moyes/LVG. I think it is reasonable that one could have had more patience with those managers, one was given a 6 year project and the other a 3 year project where he made it obvious young players were a priority. Jose on the other hand is the hired gun who supposedly guarantees titles in the short term and has brought in a 35 year old to play up front in every game which is potentially having a detrimental effect on the playing time of some of our most exciting players.
    Still though we are playing more consistently well than we were last season in the games we are supposed to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thought Alan Shearer made a good point on MOTD last night....reckoned Rashford or Martial should be playing up top with Ibra and working off his flick ons.....

-Could play a diamond formation behind them .....say

Ibra Rashford
    Mata
    Pogba Lingaard
    Herrera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Robson99 wrote: »
    Definitely the case....midfield much more fluid in movement and passing without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Thought Alan Shearer made a good point on MOTD last night....reckoned Rashford or Martial should be playing up top with Ibra and working off his flick ons.....

Ibra Rashford
    Mata
    Pogba Lingaard
    Herrera

I'd have Herrera alongside Pogba there and one of Carrick/Schneiderlin/Fellaini/Blind at the base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Fel slows up the play far too much, we are much better going forward when he is out of the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Fel slows up the play far too much, we are much better going forward when he is out of the side.

Agree 100000%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ibra Rashford
    Mata
    Pogba Lingaard
    Herrera
    If Mickey Ryan was given a chance he is the ideal player to play in a mid field 3 or instead of Lingard above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

4-4-2 with Martial and Rashford up top would be nice to see.

Ha no chance, ye hired the wrong manager if you expect to see 2 strikers starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Will Herrera miss the Swansea match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

rob316 wrote: »
    Ha no chance, ye hired the wrong manager if you expect to see 2 strikers starting.

Likewise with 80% of them in the league. Probably closer to 90%.

Sure hey, some managers don't even play strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You after the Chelsea game.

Quote by theDoc
    This dinosaur thinking of when you lose you storm home walk past your kids to bedroom pull the curtains and think about what you have done needs to stop. That's not dedication or passion that is a clear personality issue with those people. It's a game. Get a grip

There a point to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

TheDoc wrote: »
    There a point to that?

Clearly yes. Take your own advice. Stop spouting over the top reactions which range from embarrassment to a bunch of terrible footballers.

If you remove your emotions and analyse the game on the whole you'd have come to the logical conclusion that the team gave their all. Especially at 10 men. Hitting the woodwork twice and coming up against an inspired keeper happens.

I'm surprised at your reaction. You backed LVG for a good 18 months when we couldn't score a goal at home in 2 months yet you're quick to pull the trigger when we dominated and have 37 chances in a match.

How can you not see the difference after 10 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

rob316 wrote: »

Do you pull your opinions right off of RAWK?

When has Klopp ever played two strikers? In fact I can't think of any of the top level managers these days who have off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

When has Klopp ever played two strikers? In fact I can't think of any of the top level managers these days who have off the top of my head

Sturridge and Bentekkers v Swansea. But I agree it's very very rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't agree with the Ibrahimovic criticisms at all. All strikers go through phases where their conversion rate is poor and conversely they will go through periods where it's so good it's unsustainable.

The most important thing by far is that he's getting into positions to get quality chances and he's also showing signs that his link up play is getting better with the rest of the team. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him getting 6-8 goals over the next 10 games. No chance that Mourinho will drop him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Andrew Cole couldn't hit a barn door for prolonged periods despite a myriad of chances but he came good.

Andrew Cole couldn't hit a barn door for prolonged periods despite a myriad of chances but he came good.

The difference is age and circumstances. Ibrahimovic is 35 years old he wasn't brought in to have a settling in period he is playing every minute of every game and the team needs him firing in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We're not making the top 4 yet again this year. The bigger sides have gotten their act together and we've already slipped well behind.

United are so unbalanced as a team it's going to take time to sort it out. Hope Jose knows he's in this for a few years to try and fix it.

Depressing to be talking this way in October but it's hard to view it any other way.

It's wasn't the quantity rather the quality of chances he missed.

Agree though he came good, but there was more to Coles game then goals which so many people for whatever strange reason forget.

Fergie was practically punched so often to get rid of him. But he knew what Cole offered. He was a super passer, could cross(Yorke goal in 99Cl semi) and was super at holding onto the ball. He was in top 2 for assists for those poor years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Ranieri :pac:

We're not making the top 4 yet again this year. The bigger sides have gotten their act together and we've already slipped well behind.

United are so unbalanced as a team it's going to take time to sort it out. Hope Jose knows he's in this for a few years to try and fix it.

Depressing to be talking this way in October but it's hard to view it any other way.

There's a few phrases the sun and daily mirror have brought to this thread that we need to put an end to quickly.

Unbalanced. There was nothing unbalanced about the team against Burnley.

Best 11. I can't recall a Ferguson best 11 he used to pride himself on the fact no one could ever predict his 11. Ferguson put out tactics and an 11 depending on the opposition . Jose has all ready stated as united Manager the exact same thing that he picks an 11 based on a number of factors and there's no best 11. For most teams who have large squads full of quality this is nearly always true.

Ibra wasn't brought in to shoulder all the goals. Winning united teams while had great strikers but always had goals coming in from all positions. We shouldn't be relying on Ibra and that has become about mostly due to the nature of Rooney's start to the season. _now_ he's become the focal point and somehow that's Jose's fault.

When everyone knows Jose's second seasons tends to be the one he takes off in why is everyone getting their thong in a twist in October?

If you want to have a pop at Jose there's plenty to have a go off. The childish behaviour on the sideline Saturday. The treatment of Micky/Basti etc. All valid things to complain about. A striker on an unlucky streak is not one of them.

Don't like the "Best 11" phrase either. United should have more then 11 players capable of winning matches, which we have, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

nah... we can still get top 4....... Arsenal play Spurs this weekend, so dropped points there, Liverpool play Everton in a couple of weeks, so can see dropped points there, Chelsea will drop points, so hopefully we win at the weekend at Swansea, and then we have Arsenal at home after the International break which will be a huge game for us and one I can see winning. We could really do with taking The Europa League seriously, as we could well win it and get a Champions League place that way, the way the Champions League is going, none of the top teams will be falling into the Europa League after Christmas, so we have a great chance of winning it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blatter made a very good point re Ibra. It would be one thing if he wasn't getting chances but he is, and plenty of them.

His finishing has been very poor in the last 4-5 games but the fact that he's getting the chances shouldn't be overlooked. If it was an age thing with him you would expect him to struggle with the pace of the game which he doesn't seem to be and his link up play is getting better and better. It's poor finishing and that's something that happens all strikers. It's not even that he's getting the chances and not getting his shots off because he is too slow/old. It's just that he isn't putting them away. He's a proven top quality goal scorer throughout his career. If he's still getting chances in a game then there's no reason to believe he won't come good again and it is not age related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Has Schweinteiger always been training with the first team?

• Advertisement

Clearly yes. Take your own advice. Stop spouting over the top reactions which range from embarrassment to a bunch of terrible footballers.

If you remove your emotions and analyse the game on the whole you'd have come to the logical conclusion that the team gave their all. Especially at 10 men. Hitting the woodwork twice and coming up against an inspired keeper happens.

I'm surprised at your reaction. You backed LVG for a good 18 months when we couldn't score a goal at home in 2 months yet you're quick to pull the trigger when we dominated and have 37 chances in a match.

How can you not see the difference after 10 games.

I'd have an easier time with a game like yesterday if it didn't happen so frequently.

What difference? There was plenty of games and moments in Van Gaals reign where it looked like a corner turned but it was always one step forward and two steps back. I'm not going to get suckered in this season into believing in something that never comes.

At the end of the day I think I saw yesterday we have collected less points now then we did this time last year.

Winning is the metric for me. Having 40 shots and some nice interlinking play is a lovely positive to take but means **** all when your dropping points against Burnley.

Also don't know why your saying I'm pulling the trigger. Calling out another pathetic result isn't being over reactive or dramatic.

Identifying the game as a once off unlucky thing is just telling yourselves nonsense to justify poor results. This team has shown a soft underbelly in the last few seasons dealing with the sort of games that make or break a title or a top 4

Come end of season if we fall short by a few points it won't be the Chelsea game or Liverpool at Anfield people talk about or remember. It's the dropped points to Stoke and Burnley and whatever else comes.

Safe we say we can go into pretty much no game anymore assuming the team will have a comfortable win. Which is pathetic for a club our size.

I look forward to if we lose against Sunderland or a Tony Pulis team people trying to paint me as being dramatic when I convey my unhappiness.

adox wrote: »
    Blatter made a very good point re Ibra. It would be one thing if he wasn't getting chances but he is, and plenty of them.

His finishing has been very poor in the last 4-5 games but the fact that he's getting the chances shouldn't be overlooked. If it was an age thing with him you would expect him to struggle with the pace of the game which he doesn't seem to be and his link up play is getting better and better. It's poor finishing and that's something that happens all strikers. It's not even that he's getting the chances and not getting his shots off because he is too slow/old. It's just that he isn't putting them away. He's a proven top quality goal scorer throughout his career. If he's still getting chances in a game then there's no reason to believe he won't come good again and it is not age related.

This.

His general play is also still there. He was excellent against Burnley bar grabbing a goal. Something for example Rooney was totally unable to do when in the side.

Should be no issue persevering with Ibra through this drought as his general play is still excellent(bar that first half against city where he was muck )

Has Schweinteiger always been training with the first team?

SSN said today is the first time this season he trained with the first team rather than the reserves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SSN said today is the first time this season he trained with the first team rather than the reserves.

Huh. That's interesting. There was stories the other day he was not allowed to train with the reserves, and today he is with the first team? Wonder if his exile might get shortened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Maybe he's changed Jose mind with his attitude. Interesting development either way

Also don't know why your saying I'm pulling the trigger. Calling out another pathetic result isn't being over reactive or dramatic.

Calling it pathetic is over the top.
    So far all be it at home have beaten league the mighty Liverpool and Everton.
    Identifying the game as a once off unlucky thing is just telling yourselves nonsense to justify poor results. This team has shown a soft underbelly in the last few seasons dealing with the sort of games that make or break a title or a top 4

Nostalgic rubbish united under fergie had many a game at old Trafford where they hammered the door and came up short and in some cases got beaten.

Burnley just didn't not come out and play like most teams do they practically put 11 players in the goal.

I look forward to if we lose against Sunderland or a Tony Pulis team people trying to paint me as being dramatic when I convey my unhappiness.

It's dramatic and bordering on childish.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Huh. That's interesting. There was stories the other day he was not allowed to train with the reserves, and today he is with the first team? Wonder if his exile might get shortened...

He was allowed to train with them, he wasn't allow to play an U23's game.

Which seems odd at his age :pac:

Manchester-United-Training-Session.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Maybe he will get a game on Thursday as he is in the Europa League squad.. when is the earliest he can be brought in for the League?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I don't think he is in the Europa League squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement