Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

dubmick wrote: »
    I don't think he is in the Europa League squad.

Nope he's not. With all the acting he's been doing he could pretend to be Phil Jones. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He is already named in the league squad he could play the weekend if picked. I thought he was in the Europa squad but am wrong probably.

I wouldnt read too much into it tho bastian looked so slow and labored last year I don't think he would bring much to the team and definitely not if it was at the expense of ander.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if it's more that he's agreed to move off somewhere, so Jose has relented to let him train with the first team having "won" their battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Must be the league squad that I'm thinking of then.. thought it was the Europa.. there was a discussion about it earlier on in the season something about he HAD to be named in one of the squads as there was spots available

I personally think he has held clear the air talks with Jose and Maybe Jose thought it would be good to have another winners mentality/experience around the training sessions/team.. if nothing else Basti knows what it takes to win.

Edit: Phil Jones is back training too, Joe Riley and Tuanzebe both there this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jones will break legs

Jones will break legs

Yeah, most likely his own...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It would be great if Schweinsteiger played against Swansea given Herrera is banned, and he puts in a great game.
    Be nice if Bastian could prove to Jose he deserves to play again for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hopefully miki plays Thursday or the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I wonder if it's more that he's agreed to move off somewhere, so Jose has relented to let him train with the first team having "won" their battle.

Well it simply can't be a return for Schweinsteiger, or Mourinho would look an absolutely utter fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well it simply can't be a return for Schweinsteiger, or Mourinho would look an absolutely utter fool.

You will call him a pathetic fool either way, so he might as well do it.

Personally I'm not too worried if Bastian comes back in or not, even if he performed well he isn't going to offer anything we can't get elsewhere. I'd far rather Scheiderlin got a few minutes for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did you feel the same about Capello?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/stevebartram1/status/793098934264750084

43 shots in 6 games last October, 37 in one game this year.

That's the thing at least we are playing to create chances last year it was worrying and dull this year our loss against Stoke and the weekend we could of easily won both we had so many chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Hococop wrote: »
    Hopefully miki plays Thursday or the weekend

I just want him to play

You will call him a pathetic fool either way, so he might as well do it.

Can assure you I wouldn't call him a fool if he didn't take that action with Schweinsteiger start of season.

And I'm not calling him a fool now, Mourinho will only look an absolute donkey if Schweinsteiger comes back to being a first team player.

And I'll probably have some sympathy for Mourinho, if he transpires to have been advised by those he has quickly come to realise need shifting at the club. (Casting our minds back to what the assumption was the problem with Schweinsteiger)

I don't see how he would look a donkey over it. If he continues to ignore him people would criticise him for been stubborn and if he does end up back in the squad jose didn't actually rule him out he said it would be very difficult for him to earn his place.

• Advertisement

And I'm not calling him a fool now, Mourinho will only look an absolute donkey if Schweinsteiger comes back to being a first team player.

If he brings him in could it not be a sign that he is a flexible manager prepared to do the right thing if the player knuckles down and puts in the hard work required? Would that not be a good sign for other players and motivate them to refrain from trouble making and toe the line, knowing that redemption is always possible? If Bastion is working hard and Mourinho ignored him out of spite would that not paint him as a rigid, petty manager prepared to cut his nose off to spite his face? Is it not a good thing if Mourinho demonstrates otherwise?

Its so, so, incredibly easy to paint Schweinsteiger returning to the squad as a good thing all round, yet you jump straight to "fool" and "donkey", which says a lot about your objectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Schweiny was treated appallingly by a manager who has a long record of freezing people out for no apparent reason, just to be billy big bollocks. It is a horrendous way to treat people and one of the reasons why he gets hounded out of every club he's at.

Schweiny, like Mata when he was frozen out at Chelsea for no apparent reason, has acted with nothing but class during his time frozen out.

I don't associate Man Utd with behaviour like that. I thought Mourinho would get the memo on that this behaviour would not be acceptable at Man Utd. It is people's lives he is toying with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A long history i.e. possibly 2 players of the hundreds he has managed

Schweiny was treated appallingly by a manager who has a long record of freezing people out for no apparent reason, just to be billy big bollocks. It is a horrendous way to treat people and one of the reasons why he gets hounded out of every club he's at.

Schweiny, like Mata when he was frozen out at Chelsea for no apparent reason, has acted with nothing but class during his time frozen out.

I don't associate Man Utd with behaviour like that. I thought Mourinho would get the memo on that this behaviour would not be acceptable at Man Utd. It is people's lives he is toying with.

Bull****! Fergie froze out plenty of players in his time.

A long history i.e. possibly 2 players of the hundreds he has managed

Schweinsteiger
    Mata
    The 2 doctors
    Saleh
    Cuadrado
    Schurrle
    Casillas

That's just off the top of my head. It's as if he just picks a name out of a hat and says "You're frozen out".

astradave wrote: »
    Bull****! Fergie froze out plenty of players in his time.
    For reason. Not just randomly picking people out for the lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't see how he would look a donkey over it. If he continues to ignore him people would criticise him for been stubborn and if he does end up back in the squad jose didn't actually rule him out he said it would be very difficult for him to earn his place.

Agree, people seem to forgot as you said and which I was also going to post: Jose had never fully ruled him out, just others were ahead of him.

I just hope he gets to play and he is so good he is a regular whether playing or on the bench, rather than the exile he had to endure, and he seemed to be very professional about it. Maybe the professionalism is paying off.

Yes, Jose picks on players "for the lolz" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You'll have to show your work for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Were you in the room? Do you know the real reason Schweinsteiger hadn't been included? Of course you don't and you're going on nothing but the usual horse shít that most media sources print. And the Mata situation has done nothing but show up Jose in an excellent light. Mata is doing the job Jose wants him to do and he's played better than ever for United since Jose arrived. And that clearly proves that Jose had no axe to grind or grudge against Mata. To me it shows that he has put the team first, regardless of where a player may have previously played and what their previous relationship may have been. And as a United fan I can't ask for anything more than that from the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

It is a horrendous way to treat people and one of the reasons why he gets hounded out of every club he's at.

Ah now c'mon that's a load of sh!te. Hounded out of every club he's at? That's a bit of a leap.

Chelsea are noted as a club that has too much interference by the owner. Real Madrid has way too much interference and politics going on aswell. When he's been left to do his job without interference he's shown himself to be a more than capable manager who clubs in the past did not want to lose.

mewe wrote: »
    Ah now c'mon that's a load of sh!te. Hounded out of every club he's at? That's a bit of a leap.

Chelsea are noted as a club that has too much interference by the owner. Real Madrid has way too much interference and politics going on aswell. When he's been left to do his job without interference he's shown himself to be a more than capable manager who clubs in the past did not want to lose.

Do you not remember what happened at his last club? He froze out the 2 doctors for no apparent reason. The dressing room turned on him and he was sacked (with a constructive dismissal case looming over him)

What was happening with Schweinsteiger was another constructive dismissal case on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Do you not remember what happened at his last club? He froze out the 2 doctors for no apparent reason. The dressing room turned on him and he was sacked (with a constructive dismissal case looming over him)

I know, he's crazy. He does everything for no apparent reason and gets hounded out of every club he's at.

You can keep trying to dish out that narrative but it doesn't make it any less false.

What was happening with Schweinsteiger was another constructive dismissal case on the way.

What about the rest of the clubs he was "hounded out of"?

Schweinsteiger
    Mata
    The 2 doctors
    Saleh
    Cuadrado
    Schurrle
    Casillas

That's just off the top of my head. It's as if he just picks a name out of a hat and says "You're frozen out".

Its as if you just picked some names out of a hat and tried to say "they were frozen out".

• Advertisement

If he brings him in could it not be a sign that he is a flexible manager prepared to do the right thing if the player knuckles down and puts in the hard work required?

Worth remembering he was cast aside day one. So either the player doesn't fit into his plan (from what I've seen so far, don't think Mourinho has one) and it looks foolish casting his aside without seeing him, or if he acted based on the rumour of his dedication and application, rumour fueled by "the leak" then Mourinho is also foolish for taking that at face value and not judging for himself.
    Would that not be a good sign for other players and motivate them to refrain from trouble making and toe the line, knowing that redemption is always possible?
    It's unclear how his removal affected the squad. I see Shaw already out with the supportive comments. I think Mourinho of old was perfect in his man management and how to manage a squad and characters. This new Mourinho, who looks different and maybe the Chelsea incident has caused him to lose faith, is doing imo damage to players rather then enhance.
    If Bastion is working hard and Mourinho ignored him out of spite would that not paint him as a rigid, petty manager prepared to cut his nose off to spite his face? Is it not a good thing if Mourinho demonstrates otherwise?

Yup that is a good sign. But also a sign of Mourinho making a silly mistake, and not having a clear vision
    Its so, so, incredibly easy to paint Schweinsteiger returning to the squad as a good thing all round, yet you jump straight to "fool" and "donkey", which says a lot about your objectivity.

My objectivity is perfectly fine imo. Mourinho could have afforded Schweinsteiger some minutes or time to see how he is. Instead he just cast him aside day one, acting out of either the player not being fit for purpose(why would he be now? The player hasn't changed) or basing it on the rumour Schweinsteiger wasn't fully committed (which has its own mitigating circumstances)

All of this will be pointless unless Schweinsteiger actually goes into the first team. As said above it could just to be get him sharp for a move.

But if you read my posts again, I said he will only look a donkey or a fool if Schweinsteiger comes back into our team and starts performing, which undoubtedly he will.

I'm sure its nothing more then getting him sharp for a transfer. But I feel I have to respond to these things, because your all instantly jumping over me when you perceive a Mourinho critique (and a genuine one) as being OTT.

Actually don't think he would get the critique. Pep has had far more stick from his similar decision than Jose has had with Schweinsteiger. And it's a perfectly fine decision by both coaches. Any coach coming in wants to stamp a bit of authority and clear out what they perceive not good enough.

Koeman did it straight away with their 3rd record signing, Pep with Hart and Toure and Conte with Fabregas.

The issue is when that backfires. It provides a view that the manager doesn't know what they are doing.

And lets get real, when a senior player gets relegated to the under 23's, and even excluded from their team selection, thats forcing a player out. Jose has no intention of playing him and I'm just saying if he does (as much as I love Schweinsteiger and thought the initial decision was ridiculous ) Mourinho will have a sharper critique on him over it.

TheDoc wrote:
    I'm sure its nothing more then getting him sharp for a transfer. But I feel I have to respond to these things, because your all instantly jumping over me when you perceive a Mourinho critique (and a genuine one) as being OTT.

There is nothing wrong with critisism and I'm sure it is welcome but when you lead with such hyperbolic nonsense like the below you are going to get called on it.

If your criticism was simple criticising Jose and his methods without firing little shots his way I'm sure people wouldn't be "jumping over you"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMOsjxWgRib/

Wazza is happy to have him back anyway

I imagine Schweinsteiger has agreed to a move so Mourinho has shown him some courtesy letting him train again.

• Advertisement

I imagine Schweinsteiger has agreed to a move so Mourinho has shown him some courtesy letting him train again.

I would not imagine that at a it makes no sense he was already training with the u23s I think it's a olive branch of some sorth to see how it goes.

I would not imagine that at a it makes no sense he was already training with the u23s I think it's a olive branch of some sorth to see how it goes.

Hell will freeze over before Jose Mourinho admits he was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Schweiny can be to Utd what Mata already is to Utd and that is he can out-perform the other players in the face of adversity .

Considering over the last few days he was excluded from the team photo and the reserve team manager was told he was unavailable for selection, I reckon it was a Human Resources/Legal decision to allow him to train again.

They wouldn't have had a leg to stand on for a constructive dismissal case. Especially with the managers history.

Let's un-footballize it for second. You work in tesco on the checkouts. You turn up to work after a summer holiday. The manager says "we have loads of people who can work on the checkouts. Come into work tomorrow but don't go to the checkouts. Just come into work, work on your own and if we need you on the checkouts we'll get you. You are not to do any other jobs. Just wait here on your own".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You work in tesco on the checkouts. You turn up to work after a summer holiday. The manager says "we have loads of people who can work on the checkouts. Come into work tomorrow but don't go to the checkouts. Just come into work, work on your own and if we need you on the checkouts we'll get you. You are not to do any other jobs. Just wait here on your own".

Would you know where I can get a job like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Schweiny can be to Utd what Mata already is to Utd and that is he can out-perform the other players in the face of adversity .

Like a new signing.

But I feel I have to respond to these things, because your all instantly jumping over me when you perceive a Mourinho critique (and a genuine one) as being OTT.

Your criticism's have been over the top, they have been laced with childish hyperbole, are inconsistent with opinions on previous managers and worst of all, have not been based on reality. When you constantly justified Van Gaals performances yet then try to label the Burnley game as destroying a legacy, when you preemptively label the manager a donkey should he make a decision on a current player, and when you flat out state you are waiting to slaughter the manager first chance you get, then I wouldn't bother playing the victim card because some of the rubbish you have posted deserves a jumping.

There are plenty of criticisms to be made of Jose, I could give you a list of them myself. But you don't have criticisms, you have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

As far as Jose with casillas wasn't he right in the end? He dropped him and a big deal was made of it and was it the year after anchelotti dropped him and all the fans turned on casillas

Hococop wrote: »
    As far as Jose with casillas wasn't he right in the end? He dropped him and a big deal was made of it and was it the year after anchelotti dropped him and all the fans turned on casillas
    In fairness, he was correct on that one. His performances were turning from bad to worse and he was being a brat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

39ECA30000000578-0-image-m-3_1477944773772.jpg

The lads are suited and booted for charity gala.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement