Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

He is in the job about 6 months.

Last night only two of "his" players started the game and one of them went off injured.

We conceded to a freakishly good goal after two minutes.

I expect the usual nonsense from other teams fans but Christ on a bike some of the stuff being posted in here is pure gack.

Only one of them started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

magnumbud wrote: »
    Sure if they hadnt messed up against city, watford and liverpool too we'd be running away. We have 1 league win in 7 games only 6 points in that time we have played well in maybe 2 of our 10 league games so far. At some point you have to think its not the players its the inept tactics. After swansea we have arsenal west ham everton and spurs at the rate we are going after those 5 games we'll be lucky to have 5 points and that cant all be blamed on the manager

what inept tactics?

We absolutely dominated the two of those games and missed an embarrassment of chances, 4 extra points and we would be right up there. Watford was a joke from the players too.

Mourinho can't play the games for the players, bar Liverpool he has set his team up to attack and win every game and they just haven't obliged.

A worldclass coach that cannot get the best out of 500mill is whats rotten. Very worrying. When a team like Fenerbache show more desire and will to win than you ... people will always question the coach - and rightly so.

Strange, Fenerbache showed little to no desire to play at old trafford.

Are we questioning Advocaat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

crkball6 wrote: »
    I could have swore I heard Arsne doing this recently. Klopp naming and shaming. Koeman. Why is it just a "Jose" thing?

Sometimes when a performance is so lack luster there's nothing else to do but blame the players. It's not like they all put in 100% and got unlucky.

Why shouldn't they be called out? These are not sensitive 9yr olds togging out in bushy park.

You're totally right, there's a time and a place for it, but with José there's a history of doing it. It's his go to tactic and one of the reasons he leaves every club on very, very bad terms. Look at the way Hazard and Costa (and the rest of Chelsea) are playing this season under Conte. This tactic doesn't get the best out of a squad, and that's his job. He's shifting the blame IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

The facts are he is not getting the worth out of the squad and all this if if guff " if my granny had balls she'd be my grandfather ". Reminds me of pool fans for the last 20 years. Interesting times ahead, his biggest challenge ever by a long shot, hopefully he will come good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I thought what Jose said was spot on

Fenerbachce wanted it more

Then the media run away with it and says "Jose slams the players"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

secman wrote: »
    The facts are he is not getting the worth out of the squad and all this if if guff " if my granny had balls she'd be my grandfather ". Reminds me of pool fans for the last 20 years. Interesting times ahead, his biggest challenge ever by a long shot, hopefully he will come good.

Exactly, the excuses are rolling out by the hour. He can only throw the players under the bus so many times, enough excuses already and Start winning games.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Jose probably needs to bench the likes of Ibra and even Pogba (cud hide behind dead leg excuse later if he wanted) and throw Rashford up top. Pogba had been hit and miss, which for the world's most expensive player isn't really good enuf.

At least it wud show that big names need to perform or get the chop. Bar dropping Rooney he has consistently put out a lot of under performing players the last few weeks. Carrick is surely worth a start.

Time to shake it up, even with one or two fellas.

If they start in the same pedestrian way against Swansea then substitute someone after 25 mins to send another message.

Some of our players need a kick, it's been 3 years of crap now for the most part.

At least Jose cud go down fighting (not that I think his situation is that precarious, yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why all the excuses for Jose. We finished outside top 4 last year on goal difference with a useless manager. Now having spent 150m, got in a better manager we are 8 points behind?

How can Conte get such a turnaround in Chelsea with basically the same players that were awful last year in the same time. How come Pep has City beating Barca in the same period.

The squad is patently better that it is playing at the moment, and that is totally down to the manager.

http://www.football365.com/news/man-united-stink-and-so-do-the-u-turns

Yesterday game was as bad as anything that LVG threw up. The signs are all there that Jose is sinking, but you guys are failing to see it.

A good display against Burnley? anybody remember our 157 (or whatever) crosses under Moyes? Jose could (should?) see that something was not working but seems totally unable to do anything about it. This is the man that used to be famous for his subs changing games.

Jose needs to start making something happen. If he knows the team is struggling sort the defence out. Make us difficult to beat. Start to get the basics right. Sharp, quick passing, pressing the other team. Movement, ideas. Making runs behind the defence rather than always coming back to seek the ball. Hel, even Rashford has stopped making runs.

In August many people were talking about title challenges, maybe not to win it but fight until the end, and now we are making excuses why we can't even match a Turkish team for effort.

This is not a Jose out or anything, but people need to take the blinkers off. Jose has not performed anywhere close to either expectations or his peers. Even Klopp made an immediate impact when he came in. Fair enough the consistency wasn't there but you could see the start of something.

Can you point to anything that Jose has delivered? We are more attacking maybe. Well since LVG was such a disaster that was the least you would expect. Everyone could see that.

Jose said he had all the right players, he had asked the board for 4 and got everyone of them. Now he seems incapable of getting anything out of Pogba, seems at a loss as to why MickyR is even there, Zlatan is a training cone. Bailly, yeah that is a gem no doubt on that one.

Is the squad we have worse than Everton or Watford? On the same level as Burnley or Stoke? Less than Fenerbache? Even on off days we should be beating these teams.

I have no idea what the solution. I agree that Jose, now he has been given the job, needs to be given the time to get on with it. At least 2 seasons. Chopping and changing managers never works out. You don't need SAF or Wenger type dynasties but changing every 2 years doesn't work. So we are stuck with Jose and, at least this season, the players. So what to do?

I'm not sure. I'm not with the players in training so don't know if the display last night is indicative of their level or simply a rut we are in. I haven't seen much in the way of ideas on here either, except for looking to sell/but players in January. But in all honesty, even if you get a star in January, the chance of them making nay meaningful impact on this season is, historically, poor.

But whatever is causing this, it is up to Jose to find a way, and thus far he hasn't seemed capable of shaking things up. Conte was having problems at Chelsea so changed the system and bang, they knock 4 shades of sh1t from us. Pep has City playing well, if inconsistent, but even during that 6 game run, there were signs of something happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Incredible how pressured and desperate he looks this early in the campaign and his general United reign. Absolutely crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tigger123 wrote: »
    Jose blaming the players, because it's what he does.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/03/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-fenerbahce

If he isn't careful the squad will turn their back on him.

He doesn't seem very happy these days, full stop, for whatever reason. For a job that he chased so badly he doesn't seem to be enjoying it.
    Yep, but why though? Why can't he do at Utd what he did at Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real and then for about 10 minutes again at Chelsea? I think he's lost his spark, or his mojo, or whatever you want to call it. Doesn't make sense that he can't rally the squad into a winning team. And throwing them under the bus with the press is not going to help things.
    But the manager he is now bears little resemblance to the manager he was at Porto and during his first stint at Chelsea; throughout both of those appointments he had a squad of players who would run through a brick wall if he asked them too. He had charisma. Now he's just f*ckin cranky and bitching and moaning about how his squad is rubbish, instead of using the resources at his disposal to win matches and build momentum behind the team.

I completely agree. And I also completely understand why Utd fans don't want to hear this. I ****ing loved the Porto / Chelsea / Inter 'us versus the world' version of Mourinho. That guy was ****ing cool. The Mourinho of the last 18 months is unrecognisable in many ways. I'm not saying he can't turn it around mind - but this is his worst start to a job ever. It's a point of some significance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Maybe Jose's best work is done as the underdog, the young upstart that wants to unsettle the status quo.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Jose needs to start making something happen. If he knows the team is struggling sort the defence out. Make us difficult to beat. Start to get the basics right. Sharp, quick passing, pressing the other team. Movement, ideas. Making runs behind the defence rather than always coming back to seek the ball. Hel, even Rashford has stopped making runs.

Really,

When he made us difficult to beat at Anfield everyone complained about him parking the bus.

We're currently missing two first choice CB's and our first choice right back. Rojo is an absolute liability IMO but we had little choice yesterday bar playing a non match fit Jones. Rojo should have been alive on the first goal to at least try put him off.

Do you think Jose instructs players to pass really slowly? Do you think he tells Pogba to look at the ground and keep missing basic runs ahead of him?

Did you see how many runs were made in behind last night that Pogba or someone else failed to spot and pass the ball to? Do you think Jose tells them to ignore runs and go sidewards/backward?

The knee jerking going on is getting incredibly boring.

People are begging to see specific players get a chance and state he should use europa league to do it. He does it, they put in an awful performance the result is the result and then people state Jose's doesn't know what he's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Lads, will you chill the **** out. It's like some of you are bipolar with your everything is amazing\everything is **** swings.

Performances are improving, even the most one eyed can see that. Results haven't always reflected performance. We have a much better team, but there are still some deficiencies. I honestly believe it will come good, but there will be more results like last night, just like there will be many more great results.

Really,

When he made us difficult to beat at Anfield everyone complained about him parking the bus.

We're currently missing two first choice CB's and our first choice right back. Rojo is an absolute liability IMO but we had little choice yesterday bar playing a non match fit Jones. Rojo should have been alive on the first goal to at least try put him off.

Do you think Jose instructs players to pass really slowly? Do you think he tells Pogba to look at the ground and keep missing basic runs ahead of him?

Did you see how many runs were made in behind last night that Pogba or someone else failed to spot and pass the ball to? Do you think Jose tells them to ignore runs and go sidewards/backward?

People are begging to see specific players get a chance and state he should use europa league to do it. He does it, they put in an awful performance the result is the result and then people state Jose's doesn't know what he's doing.

Assuming that is partially aimed at me, that is not what happened last night.

Memphis wasn't included in the squad, Henrik came on with the game 2-0 down and Schneiderlan got hauled of after half time for what reason I'm not entirely sure. So who exactly got a chance last night? That was basically the strongest XI we could play for large portions, with the only real omission being Mata (excluding injuries)

Martial played again and after an initial decent showing was catastrophic second half. Rashford is being run into the ground. Team completely void of ideas. It looks like a collection of players where the hope is it sorts itself out or someone does something wordly.

Sorry but raising concerns our manager isn't managing, and has a big scorpy head on him and looks like he cant influence a game or have a clue what to do, is not knee jerking. It's November lads...

This should be a serious concern for everyone. It's November, his first November, and it feels like it's November in year three of the Jose cycle.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Lads, will you chill the **** out. It's like some of you are bipolar with your everything is amazing\everything is **** swings.

Performances are improving, even the most one eyed can see that. Results haven't always reflected performance. We have a much better team, but there are still some deficiencies. I honestly believe it will come good, but there will be more results like last night, just like there will be many more great results.

That's what I felt during the Van Gaal reign, and look who turned out to the be the moron by the end of it......

There is a certain point where believing it will come good isn't enough. The players and manger need to start showing it.

If the Burnley was a step forward in terms of performance, last night was two steps back. As per usual with this team since Ferguson left.

I'm pretty much done with the "around the corner" cliche. This team needs to put some winning runs together or it's fooling no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Really,

Thats all fine, I can't argue with your points. But if Jose isn't instructing them then isn't that an even bigger problem?

Yes of course it is down to the players once they cross the white line, but it is the job of the manager to make sure they are fully prepared when they do cross the line. Claiming they were not awake yesterday, well why not?

Why isn't Pogba spotting the runs? Don't they practice a game plan in training?

Yes we are short some players, but really last night we are up against has beens and never were's. If Jose feels we are light at the back then put 3 in the defence for the 1st 20 minutes to stop them from getting a foothold. Put another body in midfield to stem the flow. Make sure the players are bloody ready for the off!

Fair enough, the goal happens, but we had 90+ minutes to sweep them aside after that. And we had how many shots on target before Rooney scored? 1 I think.

If you seriously think this is just down to the players having off days then surely you see no point in a manager at all. But then you look at the amazing turnaround at Chelsea, the difference to the L'pool team.

I am not asking that we sweep all before us, I am on board with a change process and at least 2 years. But I am worried that Jose seems to have run out of ideas already.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Assuming that is partially aimed at me, that is not what happened last night.

It wasn't actually, it was to the many wanting to see Ander and Morgan pairing back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The team last night was, by and large, the same team that underpreformed massively last year. No Bailey, Pogba off quickly. Ibra came on, but behind him was still the same creative forces that struggled, game after game, to do anything conductive last year.

There's a real consistency issue among a lot of the players; Shaw, Rooney, Martial, Schnederlin, Darmian....all players who seem to have moments of magic and then go utterly toxic.

I don't believe Jose could have come in and utterly gutted the team over the summer. There was too much of a belief that all the blame was on LVG, and that a better manager could get more out of them. And I'm not excusing LVG there, he was horrible and had to go sooner than he did. But the players get off far too light. This aversion to being called out for absolute **** performances shows them in a very negative light.

There wouldn't have been support for a full overhaul of the team back in the summer; there should be now. We can't keep putting the majority of the blame on the managers, but instead should be looking at the tools we keep giving to them. I'd be fully in support of Jose going and completely rebuilding the entire first eleven at this stage.

For me, in terms of guaranteed first team places, it's DDG, Bailey, Herrera, Pogba and, at a push if the formation allows, Mata (but even then, playing him as a #10 sacrifices Pogba's best position). A few can stay on the bench; Valencia, Fellaini, Martial, Blind, Shaw, Rashford, Mkhi but even with some of them, it's based on past glories, not current form.

But there's so, so many players who don't seem mentally up for getting back to being a global powerhouse. Be it through losing their will to fight (I believe there's too many players who were too comfortable with the lowering of expectations Moyes and LVG set out), getting on in age, transfers not working out for whatever reason....

If we want to give Jose cash, if thats the way we want to proceed going forward, then it's time to go all in on that mentality. At the moment, it's a Frankenstein of a philosophy being applied. The house needs renovating now, and Jose is the best man to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

One minute the squad is good enough to win the league, then the next it needs to be gutted so Jose can have his players.

Which one is it lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

what inept tactics?

We absolutely dominated the two of those games and missed an embarrassment of chances, 4 extra points and we would be right up there. Watford was a joke from the players too.

Mourinho can't play the games for the players, bar Liverpool he has set his team up to attack and win every game and they just haven't obliged.
    Chelsea city and bloody watford outclassed us thats not down to just the players thats diwn to poor team selection and tactics. I'm not saying the players are blameless but we conceded 11 goals in that run of games and only scored 6 jose cant just shift the blame and is never going to say well i got that wrong

But we didnt get those 4 points we controlled the ball versus them but look frail at the back and unlikely to score more than whats needed the chamces missed were half chances or shots from outside the box. We look exactly like we did last season side passing and slow

We were lucky to beat hull too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

rob316 wrote: »
    One minute the squad is good enough to win the league, then the next it needs to be gutted so Jose can have his players.

Which one is it lads?

Well everybody in the thread isn't one collective being so first you must ascertain if it's the same people saying both things, then if it is you can have a go at those individuals instead of wading in and looking silly.

Yes of course it is down to the players once they cross the white line, but it is the job of the manager to make sure they are fully prepared when they do cross the line. Claiming they were not awake yesterday, well why not?

I can only guess that Rojo spends most of him time asleep so last night wasn't any different. An early goal. Here we go again, away from home they're now fired up and we think it's going to be a stroll in the park because it was two weeks before

I can't tell you why they were not awake the same way I can;t tell you smalling fell asleep at chelsea but I don't see how errors of judgment like this fall on Jose his only option is not to play Rojo and last night his only other option was an unfit Jones.

Why isn't Pogba spotting the runs? Don't they practice a game plan in training?

I can't tell you why a 100m midfield player moves with his head down so much. But I'm sure it's not what Jose asks him to do.
    Yes we are short some players, but really last night we are up against has beens and never were's. If Jose feels we are light at the back then put 3 in the defence for the 1st 20 minutes to stop them from getting a foothold. Put another body in midfield to stem the flow. Make sure the players are bloody ready for the off!

As I said all ready when he plays defensivley like this everyone gets up and arms about it. When he puts out an attacking team and they fail to attack with any gusto people blame Jose.
    Fair enough, the goal happens, but we had 90+ minutes to sweep them aside after that. And we had how many shots on target before Rooney scored? 1 I think.

No argument here, but it wasn't tactical why this happened. From the squad of players we had it wasn't player selection. So if you remove that, who's to blame? Jose again? we should get him a shirt.
    If you seriously think this is just down to the players having off days then surely you see no point in a manager at all. But then you look at the amazing turnaround at Chelsea, the difference to the L'pool team.

I am not asking that we sweep all before us, I am on board with a change process and at least 2 years. But I am worried that Jose seems to have run out of ideas already.

I don't think it was just an off day it was a combination of the early goal, our record away in Europe is bloody awful regardless of the manager and I think the team as whole might have under estimated how difficult a game it was going to be especially when they score the goal and they're gee'd up and they put them away so easily two weeks ago.

How was liverpools big difference in klopps first season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Wasn't Jose hired for the instant impact? To all but guarantee a top 4 and a title within a year or two?
    That is what was sold to us, when many have concerns about the antics, his transient nature, the questionable style and tactics.
    No other team has had to wait for Jose to come good. His big thing is impact and he is not having it.
    There have been good performances, but this collection of players should be battering Burnley and Stoke at home. Overall my feeling about the whole thing is grim. Not just Jose but the whole direction of the club, the unsuitable box office signings, the short termism, the extensive marketing and all that social media jazz, where half the time you wouldn't know if the team was winning or loosing, that was mentioned yesterday. It's all b****cks Bill...

Which one is it lads?

Squad is undoubtedly good enough to challenge for the league, and more than capable of achieving top 4.

Saw someone linked the Football365 article that rang so true last night. The u-turns are unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TheDoc wrote: »
    Squad is undoubtedly good enough to challenge for the league, and more than capable of achieving top 4.

Saw someone linked the Football365 article that rang so true last night. The u-turns are unreal.

So isn't the manager seriously underperforming so?

Like when Liverpool were struggling under Rodgers, most of the fan base was heavily critical of the squad and said it wasn't good enough for the top end of the league, yet Klopp came in and has managed to make a team out of it without gutting it.

Ye have bought some players I would have liked over the last few seasons but they just haven't performed due to bad management and it looks like its continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

the same manager who took his championship winning team to the worse title defense in PL history.

also how has our attack improved? we have scored a pitful 7 goals in our last 7 league games and 4 of them came in 1 game. our deference has gotten worse conceding 11 goals in the same time period

The point that was lost on you is managers don't become outdated in 2 seasons. Especially ones that have just won the premiership.

If you honestly have to ask how our attack has improved then you're clearly not watching the games.. Yes we are not SCORING but our overall link up play in and around the final 3rd is leap years ahead. Goals will come so long as we keep creating.

Like when Liverpool were struggling under Rodgers, most of the fan base was heavily critical of the squad and said it wasn't good enough for the top end of the league, yet Klopp came in and has managed to make a team out of it without gutting it.

Ye have bought some players I would have liked over the last few seasons but they just haven't performed due to bad management and it looks like its continuing.

Yes, I do think the manager has been a massive disappointment thus far and is under performing, along with a lot of his players.

I think that's kinda been my point the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Our squad is as good as if not better than practically every side in the league. No need for an overhaul right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Sounds to me as if we couldn't beat a Europa level team. Excuses every week at this stage.

Hahaha. Honestly they sense of entitlement. You didn't watch the game but dismiss the summation of someone who did? That's the definition of ignorance and bias.

As stated one goal was an overhead kick from practically the edge of the box. The other goal was a fantastic dead ball free kick.

The only worry I took from the game was how easily Shaw was beaten time and time again similar to how he feared against Navas for city.

Huh? Klopp has brought in 8 players. what's gutting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

The point that was lost on you is managers don't become outdated in 2 seasons. Especially ones that have just won the premiership.

If you honestly have to ask how our attack has improved then you're clearly not watching the games.. Yes we are not SCORING but our overall link up play in and around the final 3rd is leap years ahead. Goals will come so long as we keep creating.

Sorry i thought the aim of the game was SCORING more than your opponents.

I didnt watch the game but just wondering how did Henrik do when he came on?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I didnt watch the game but just wondering how did Henrik do when he came on?

He nearly cost us a goal. Made some poor decisions and didn't hold on to possession at critical moments.

Apart from that he made some straight forward passes and ran around a bit. Nothing earth shattering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

thats not down to just the players thats diwn to poor team selection and tactics.

But I don't think this is true, by and large I think the manager has gotten his selections and tactics perfectly right in almost every game.

When teams are announced you aren't hearing a chorus of "WTF why has he picked him" or "what the hell sort of formation is that", the teams he has picked and decisions made are generally the same decisions that most fans wanted and expected. Under Van Gaal there was a constant dismay upon seeing the lineups, that simply hasn't been the case this season. There will always be a few moaning about Felliani or Blind being in the team, but no, the teams Jose is putting out have generally been what 90% of fans would have put on the field had they the choice. Poor team selection? I'm not having that, he is using what he has in the correct manner as far as I can see.

And tactically? If we are creating dozens of chances against smaller teams then the tactics are fine. If we played it tight against a high flying rival then the tactics were fine. I'm sure a few mistakes have been made but again, by and large, the tactical side of things has been perfectly fine. Perhaps not world beating but certainly not the problem either.

The tactics and the team selection have been fine, thats why we can look so good at times. No, the problems are all on the human level, on players who aren't doing their jobs, on a squad with a clear lack of character and leadership, and yes on a manager who hasn't yet gotten the very best from his team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Hahaha. Honestly they sense of entitlement. You didn't watch the game but dismiss the summation of someone who did? That's the definition of ignorance and bias.

As stated one goal was an overhead kick from practically the edge of the box. The other goal was a fantastic dead ball free kick.

The only worry I took from the game was how easily Shaw was beaten time and time again similar to how he feared against Navas for city.

He's right though. The bottom line, whether one watched the game or not, is that we couldn't beat a Europa League team. Just like we couldn't beat mid-table at best teams like Stoke, Burnley and Watford. There's a worrying trend there that all the shots on target, chances created and unlucky 1st minute bicycle kicks can't cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Klopp has had 12 months in charge.

He didn't turn you boys around over night.

Ye were wildly inconsistent last year or have you forgotten that?

Pretty much every LFC fan was rightly saying that he should be allowed time.

He has brought in some players he wanted in key positions as well as having quite a settled squad in the main and its begun to reap rewards.

Why shouldn't José be allowed that?

Oh I know, cos its Jose and he is managing United.

The faux concern from a lot of you lads is laughable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He has brought in some players he wanted in key positions as well as having quite a settled squad in the main and its begun to reap rewards.

Where is the faux concern, in fact its the opposite we are finding this all quiet hilarious. Jose and Utd both struggling together its delightful, so no no faux concern here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

In fairness, Klopp got Liverpool to the Carling cup final and the Europa league final without signing one player. The league position last year is a bit irrelevant as he was putting out reserve and youth players for the last maybe 10-12 games in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I don't see concern from them, I just see petty gloating and a way to big up Klopp and lord it over everyone that he's oh so great. Did you not get the memo? He created "pressing" and high tempo football!! :pac:

Personally, I don't have much opinion when Liverpool win, lose or draw and I certainly never go into the Pool thread but some seem more concerned about talking about United when we lose/draw than celebrating their own team :D

I don't think we should panic yet but I do think many of the players need to buck up their ideas, last night's play was so sluggish and everybody looked tired and not arsed. Shaw was particularly poor but he wasn't the only one.

• Advertisement

He's right though. The bottom line, whether one watched the game or not, is that we couldn't beat a Europa League team. Just like we couldn't beat mid-table at best teams like Stoke, Burnley and Watford. There's a worrying trend there that all the shots on target, chances created and unlucky 1st minute bicycle kicks can't cover up.

You're right, to an extent. But when you see the shots on target, chances created, etc....who do you blame then when those chances aren't being converted? Jose can't run onto the pitch and put the ball into the net himself. He can set up the team, tell them how to play to give them the best chances, but if the players are playing well except for putting the ball into the net, that's a player problem. Thats players not taking their chances.

Tactically, I find it hard to fault Jose **** all, except for the opening 25 minutes against City. In pretty much every other game, he's got his end of things spot on, and then was badly let down by the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Liverpool fan here, whats the story with Schneiderlin? I saw that he played last night but didn't watch the first half. How did he get on? I was sickened when ye signed him as he was one player I would have loved us to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did I imagine it or did Jose say that there was a mental issue with the players over last season? There seems to be an "ah sure whatever" mindset with players win or lose. Nobody really seems to have the mentality of the likes of Keane, Neville etc. where not winning really hurt.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here, whats the story with Schneiderlin? I saw that he played last night but didn't watch the first half. How did he get on? I was sickened when ye signed him as he was one player I would have loved us to get.

Hasn't had much time under Jose, hasn't done much with the time he has. He regressed massively under LVG and Jose doesn't seem to fancy him at all. Could see him being sold within the next 12 months :/

I think you must've reached your quota of Southampton players by the time he was being sold :p

Nothing he did stood out for me bar getting an early yellow card. Think Jose just took him off after Pogba went off injured so he could put another attacking player on instead of keeping Morgan as a holding player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's more fascination tbh. The fall of Camelot. It's been generally box office viewing since Ferguson left.

In fairness, Klopp got Liverpool to the Carling cup final and the Europa league final without signing one player. The league position last year is a bit irrelevant as he was putting out reserve and youth players for the last maybe 10-12 games in the league.

United are still in the above cups.

This is a few results in klopps first few months

Draw saints
    Beaten by Crystal paclace
    Beaten by NewCastle
    Draw with WBA
    Beaten by west ham
    Beaten by Leicester
    draw Sunderland
    beaten by saints

In later months other beauts like beaten by Swansea draws with newcastle etc.

This lot would have Jose marching out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ye lost both finals. So he guarded his best players to go and win the cups but they didn't win either with a fully fit and well rested team. Does that mean Klopp is a bad manager? Of course it doesn't, same as Jose isn't a bad manager because he has had a rocky beginning to his tenure.

If this time next year we are still struggling then absolutely questions will need to be asked.

LVG was given backing by most fans til probably Christmas last year. When it became clear we were not improving then that's when fans became restless.

Jose absolutely must be given a minimum of two years, even if we fall outside of the CL places this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Klopp did well for most of last season in fiarness until he decided to treat the end of the season like an early start to the pre-season friendlies.

There are a lot of players who were there before and are no performing much better under him - Lallana and Firmino being two examples.

There's also the cost: for 150 million, you expect pretty much fast results. Not nessecarily league-winning teams from day one, but certainly better than what you have.

Finally, the appraorach to losing. You're going to lose games. When Klopp's lost, he's come out and given a reasonably fair analysis of the games and said basically that we (him and the players) must do better. When Jose's lost (and this is is recent history - not just United) there's been stropps and excuses and blaming. None of this, as we all saw at Chelsea, really galvanises the players.

I'm also curious as to why you have three healthy new signings and have publicly stated your intent for the competition, you then go and leave two of them on the bench? If it wasn't "his" team out there, then not playing his signings seems to be a stop in the wrong direction.

In short, Klopp looks like a manager players want to play for. Mourinho doesn't. I think you need to be more concerned about his attitude than your psoition on the table. Sort out the first and allow him the time, and the second will get better.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's more fascination obsession tbh. The fall of Camelot. It's been generally box office viewing since Ferguson left.

So ye actually have nothing better to do than laugh at others? Are you really that petty....wait don't answer that...

FYP BTW

It's still early in the season, Liverpool still have plenty of time to have their usual implosion, don't worry ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement