Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Good goal more of that from him hopefully.

Supposedly the only thing he did the whole game.. going by the fans they were saying he was playing the worst from all the young players on the pitch. Don't know how many played and the info is second hand so not sure how true exactly

Sunderland fans also already going mad about the Love signing on the fan forums..they think he has been one of the worst signings for the clubs in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beno619 wrote: »
    Is Bravo a significant upgrade on Joe Hart ?

Barca don't seem terribly bothered about loosing him.

Hopefully City are trading one above average keeper for another.

In other news De Gea is the highest rated PL player in FIFA 17 at 91 followed by Zlatan at 90.

Bravo is a very good goalkeeper, good with his feet as well and barca were never going to turn down 17m for a 33 year old goalkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Supposedly the only thing he did the whole game.. going by the fans they were saying he was playing the worst from all the young players on the pitch. Don't know how many played and the info is second hand so not sure how true exactly

Sunderland fans also already going mad about the Love signing on the fan forums..they think he has been one of the worst signings for the clubs in a long time

Wonder where did it all go wrong for love he was highly rated two year ago he seemed to be fairly level headed and all.

Wonder where did it all go wrong for love he was highly rated two year ago he seemed to be fairly level headed and all.

There are literally hundreds of players who are highly rated at a young age. Love is only 21 and just moved to Sunderland, give the chap some time to develop playing first team football

bangkok wrote: »
    There are literally hundreds of players who are highly rated at a young age. Love is only 21 and just moved to Sunderland, give the chap some time to develop playing first team football

Ok I'm sorry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

My theory on the Schweinsteiger situation is that the club were pretty pissed off with his behaviour/lack of commitment last season (this sort of stuff was heavily reported after LVG got sacked) and there is a mutual decision between the club and Mourinho to get rid of him.

Club (Woodword and co.) - get rid of a high earner who's wage doesn't reflect his ability and/or commitment. The last thing they will want is the club getting a reputation for homing aging, ineffective stars who's primary motivation is one last big pay check. United are not a MLS club.

Mourinho - show the rest of the squad that a lack of commitment will not be tolerated while at the same time free up some wages that he could potentially use on a player that he actually sees a use for.

Basically, I see a lot of reasons why United might want to get rid of Schweinsteiger pretty badly and are perfectly justified in sending him to train with the reserves etc.

I also see why he would want to hang around and pick up his generous pay check.

And that's where we are. There is no 'he's in the right, they're in the wrong' or vice verse here, both sides are justified by their actions thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Better examples. Though I'd say Lukaku is an exception cause of highly rated he was.

Mind, the issue with Jones is still going to be that he's massively injury prone. He's a walking sicknote and any club after him will know that. That and he'll have bigger wages with us than any of the other examples, so teams will want a lower transfer cost to cover the higher wages they'd have to give him.

I think we'll, fairly, get about 15m for him, and most of that is cause he's young and homegrown.

Would agree with this. No way would Jones go for £20m+. He'd fetch a lot more if he wasn't made of glass.

Having a CB who can stay fit is a large part of their appeal because it provides stability. Look at the state of City's defence since Kompany joined Wilshere et al. with recurring injuries of everything ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Blatter wrote: »

Never mind having him training with the reserves, I'd have him out cutting the grass and marking the pitches. Maybe even have him washing other players cars, anything really, just to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Never mind having him training with the reserves, I'd have him out cutting the grass and marking the pitches. Maybe even have him washing other players cars, anything really, just to get rid of him.

Glad I don't work for you. Most of us when we sign a job contract aren't asked to fulfill duties outside our job description!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Glad I don't work for you. Most of us when we sign a job contract aren't asked to fulfill duties outside our job description!

Most of us are not on 200000 odd pounds per week

• Advertisement

Even an outing or two for him in the Fred the Red costume -

"Hey, Basti, come ere, do you wanna get back onto the pitch? I might have an idea."

Mad that that's what he's reduced to now, a few jokes.

To Buckety and Blatter who responded to my post, they all seem like valid reasons as to why he is on the outside looking in. Especially the club/manager setting an example. Buckety, that last sentence of yours was probably in jest, but I do wonder if there's something from the past causing agro between Jose and Basti. Yes, you and Blatter outlined good football/business reasons as to why it is what it is, but even at that it still seems mad to me that out of all the players in our squad who got pre-season minutes, Bastian Schweinsteiger wasn't one that Jose wanted to take a look at.

Blatter wrote: »
    My theory on the Schweinsteiger situation is that the club were pretty pissed off with his behaviour/lack of commitment last season (this sort of stuff was heavily reported after LVG got sacked) and there is a mutual decision between the club and Mourinho to get rid of him.

Club (Woodword and co.) - get rid of a high earner who's wage doesn't reflect his ability and/or commitment. The last thing they will want is the club getting a reputation for homing aging, ineffective stars who's primary motivation is one last big pay check. United are not a MLS club.

Mourinho - show the rest of the squad that a lack of commitment will not be tolerated while at the same time free up some wages that he could potentially use on a player that he actually sees a use for.

Basically, I see a lot of reasons why United might want to get rid of Schweinsteiger pretty badly and are perfectly justified in sending him to train with the reserves etc.

And that's where we are. There is no 'he's in the right, they're in the wrong' or vice verse here, both sides are justified by their actions thus far.

Your probably right and there is reports in various rags about the players approaching bastian about his fitness and globe throtting it could also be a case of the senior members just didn't want him in squad.

I love the way some posters sometimes compare a footballers jobs to an office workers job! :)

I love the way some posters sometimes compare a footballers jobs to an office workers job! :)

Go on bangkok don't be a little chicken sh1t if your gonna say something go and elaborate on it and give someone a chance to explain there thoughts instead of you of all people trying make as if your thoughts are better or you know the ways of football superior then other people.

• jayo26 wrote: »

Tad bit hyperbole with the headline!

Some additional news. Jesse back in training after the injury.
    Great to see so much competition for places.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tad bit hyperbole with the headline!

Some additional news. Jesse back in training after the injury.
    Great to see so much competition for places.

Slight bit OTT alright but story itself somes it up.

Yeh we will need competition come September when all comps kick off.

Not looking forward to this international break I think it's the worst time of the lot of themoney. The players are just back with the clubs and getting settled in and they leave again.

Go on bangkok don't be a little chicken sh1t if your gonna say something go and elaborate on it and give someone a chance to explain there thoughts instead of you of all people trying make as if your thoughts are better or you know the ways of football superior then other people.

Not having a dig at anyone but just see it thrown in a few times, just think it's funny... Stuff like this

"Why would he settle when he has a contract.. that's like me employing you to do a job for 400 euro and at the end of the week saying here's 200 for a job well done.. and then you settling for that 200.."

That was when I was saying pogba agent should take less than the 20m he was looking for

Not having a dig at anyone but just see it thrown in a few times, just think it's funny... Stuff like this

"Why would he settle when he has a contract.. that's like me employing you to do a job for 400 euro and at the end of the week saying here's 200 for a job well done.. and then you settling for that 200.."

That was when I was saying pogba agent should take less than the 20m he was looking for

Yep agree with you of course he shouldn't throw away money no player should these are clubs that if they go on hard times they have no problems making cuts at the bottom first the staff are first to go even though they earn pittance compared to players.

BUT in bastians case he looks to be searching out for support from fans to maybe voice displeasure at his treatment or something.

Was there any need for his statement yesterday? Everyone knows he will "always be there to help the team" it's pure generic trash he is hardly gonna say I don't wanna play for the club or I want to leave.

He would of been better to put out a statement saying I'm not happy I'm not included in the squad I want to play and I will fight to prove myself to the manager instead of the obvious.

If your going to quote me, quote me properly instead of taking a pop, it certainly comes across as you having a dig. I used that context because it seemed like something even an idiot could understand. Obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I didn't realise Bastian was under contract with us until 2019!

It's hard to make my mind up on the whole thing. All we have to go by is unconfirmed reports from papers and social media from Schweinsteiger.

Feel bad for him as he's a player I respected and admired a lot but at the same time if Mourinho doesn't want or see Bastian as part of his plans that's his decision.

More will come out eventually anyway. Be interesting what Mourinho says about it. Has he been asked about it or answered anything about Bastian? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

If your going to quote me, quote me properly instead of taking a pop, it certainly comes across as you having a dig. I used that context because it seemed like something even an idiot could understand. Obviously not.

Sorry wasn't having a go, it comes up a bit, I just think it's a bit funny, again I apologise if it looks like I was.

Bastian will do what beckham did at Madrid under Capello. Was forced out by the manager but worked so hard in training, forced his way back into the first team and was their player of the season winning la Liga along the way

Bastian will do what beckham did at Madrid under Capello. Was forced out by the manager but worked so hard in training, forced his way back into the first team and was their player of the season winning la Liga along the way

Id be surprised if Schweinsteiger even made the bench anytime soon nevermind being our player of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Was there any need for his statement yesterday?

Indeed. I too would like to know why such a statement was released at all? It's one thing being asked a question in a press conference, but why suddenly release a carefully worded statement like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bastian hasn't the legs to do what Beckham did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Id be surprised if Schweinsteiger even made the bench anytime soon nevermind being our player of the season!

Bastian has been a legend of the game, but every time I saw him on the ball, he looked like he belonged on the Masters 5-a-side on Sky Sports. He looked unfit and a little overweight.

I really wish it had worked out but it didn't.

Besides, we are moving away from having to gamble on players. Pogba is an example.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• zerks wrote: »

Take the money and run IMO

Underwhelming to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Has the squad been registered? Can Bastian be considered to play at all if he was not named in the 22/25man squad by Mourinho?

He probably would never get to Beckham levels of fitness though. I would like to see him as a squad member for us, I thought he was good for Germany in the Euros during his brief sub appearances so I think he could do the same for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Europa League draw today at midday. Would adore if we got Dundalk :P

EDIT: Actually, seen midday and 1:00 as a time so not 100% sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

.. and it's tomorrow.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

.. and it's tomorrow.:pac:

I...uh....right....

*Sigh*

Seriously thought it was Friday today. Damn it. Ignore the crazy man here. I'm going back to bed....

It's 1pm CET so will be on at midday here..Champions league is at 5pm CET I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just the confidence boost Memphis would need:cool:

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I didn't realise Bastian was under contract with us until 2019!

It's hard to make my mind up on the whole thing. All we have to go by is unconfirmed reports from papers and social media from Schweinsteiger.

Feel bad for him as he's a player I respected and admired a lot but at the same time if Mourinho doesn't want or see Bastian as part of his plans that's his decision.

More will come out eventually anyway. Be interesting what Mourinho says about it. Has he been asked about it or answered anything about Bastian? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

I was the same I thought he was only on a two year contract. It was daft to give him a four year deal on that kind of money.

Mourinho said that it was a simple fact that he picked his squad of players and Bastian wasn't in it. Nothing personal he just didn't need him.

Indeed. I too would like to know why such a statement was released at all? It's one thing being asked a question in a press conference, but why suddenly release a carefully worded statement like that?

Thats why I think its to turn fans his way. From a footballing point of view I can't see any reason why he would want to make any kind of a statement unless it was to Allert the manager he wasn't giving up but bastians statement was all about accepting he won't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Schweinsteigers statement suggested to me that he is headed for MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm not going to keep going threw point for point infairness we disagree on the heading detail and you think we can't judge a good defence just by the amount of goals they concede that's fair enough strange but fair enough.

There's nothing at all strange about pointing out that a team who are completely set up to keep the ball as far away from their own goal as possible (with possession; defensive positioning and keeping numbers behind the ball while in possession), with one of the best goal keepers in the world could have a good defensive record while covering for a particular CB's flaws. United were an extreme outlier last season in terms of how the team played and it completely sacrificed attacking possibilities in order to limit defensive situations from even happening.
    On the point of what we do if Smalling or bailly are not there to head a ball I'd say that blind is not totally inept at defending that situation he can still jump or stick to a player so that he hasn't a free header or an easy header. It goes back to the point that there is very little examples of him causing us to loose games because of his heading.

You just aren't acknowledging how weak Blind is in the air. Blind will give up a lot of easy headers if he has to compete in the way you describe. For a CB he is absolute pish in the air.

zerks wrote: »

Don't like to get drawn into much of the transfer gossip but can fully believe this one anyway.

Valencia will be looking for a new defender with Mustafi on his way.

To be honest I like Rojo but I wouldn't have too many complaints if he was sold.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    There's nothing at all strange about pointing out that a team who are completely set up to keep the ball as far away from their own goal as possible (with possession; defensive positioning and keeping numbers behind the ball while in possession), with one of the best goal keepers in the world could have a good defensive record while covering for a particular CB's flaws. United were an extreme outlier last season in terms of how the team played and it completely sacrificed attacking possibilities in order to limit defensive situations from even happening.

You just aren't acknowledging how weak Blind is in the air. Blind will give up a lot of easy headers if he has to compete in the way you describe. For a CB he is absolute pish in the air.

Ahh come on so it's OK to be critical of the man because he is crap at heading but it's not ok to give him credit for been an impirtant member in a successful defence. He was important to the defence because of his passing and reading the game and his one on one tackling.

So by your logic if a striker scores 20 or 30 goals a season and his team is set up to attack and they let in 2 or 3 goals a game because they are playing risky football the striker is not a great striker.

I acknowledge he can't win headers and can't jump for sh1t that's why we were having the discussion in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ahh come on so it's OK to be critical of the man because he is crap at heading but it's not ok to give him credit for been an impirtant member in a successful defence. He was important to the defence because of his passing and reading the game and his one on one tackling.

Where did I say that?
    So by your logic if a striker scores 20 or 30 goals a season and his team is set up to attack and they let in 2 or 3 goals a game because they are playing risky football the striker is not a great striker.

I acknowledge he can't win headers and can't jump for sh1t that's why we were having the discussion in the first place.

That's a pointless comparison because there's nothing like goal scoring, which is such a good measure of individual skill, for defenders to be judged by.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    Schweinsteigers statement suggested to me that he is headed for MLS.

Except the transfer window in the MLS is closed as it is in China.

Bastian has basically said he is going nowhere right now.

RobertKK wrote: »

Probably not going anywhere right now, unless there is some twist to it yet, but I do agree with adox. My interpretation of his comments made it sound like he knows it is extremely unlikley he will get back into the team and is planning on moving to the MLS next opportunity he has to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm thinking this to

*hoping

RobertKK wrote: »

I think it's a dig at United, basically saying that the only way they are going to move him on is to buy him out of his contract. He will then be able to move to the MLS or china

Pro. F wrote: »
    Where did I say that?

That's a pointless comparison because there's nothing like goal scoring, which is such a good measure of individual skill, for defenders to be judged by.

Well you didn't aknowledge that he was an important member of the defence that concede so little last year instead you said it's all down to the team playing to not give away.

It's a fair comparison that it will be easier to score goals in a team that's set up to score goals but the attacker still has to score them same as Yeh it's easier to defend in a team that's set up to defend but the defender still has to tackle.

Think we're just about done here no point in going backwards and forwards we both explained our original points.

I think it's a dig at United, basically saying that the only way they are going to move him on is to buy him out of his contract. He will then be able to move to the MLS or china

I've seen a few places saying about the possibility of us buying out his contract.

It would have to happen soon though (Think the deadline for America is either September of October for signing players who are free agents, could be wrong).

I wonder how much his contract costs to pay off. His wages are quite high (£140'000 per week) so might be worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Hayley !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jharr100 wrote: »
    Hayley !!!

Truly a feast for the eyes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement