Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    The last fella you'd want Zlatan aiming a flying kick at,if he connected,Jones would have shattered like the T1000 in Terminator 2.

OWvDKEY.png

Here is the picture of Phil Jones from the front as he sees Zlatan coming for him
    eb2baf665f8ed41efc9e68e5f18984f2_400x400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just to confirm The Sun is a rag they said RVP was blinded today. He got a cut on his eye and is fine. Anything for those clicks from the tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Victor Anichebe cracked a rib in the first half yesterday,got patched up and played on.Some of our lads are just too soft.

Valencia had a break or fracture and continued on. It not all of our lads just some. Convenient it's just before an international match too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Valencia had a break or fracture and continued on. It not all of our lads just some. Convenient it's just before an international match too.

Schmeichel played on with a broken hand also!

Neither Shaw nor Smalling got called up to the England squad though so I don't know how it would be in their interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Players like Shaw concern me to be honest. Last year he was getting kudos for doing some fitness training over the summer and starting the season well, but before that he was unfit, and now again he looks very unfit. So is he one of these players that can't maintain his fitness, and that isn't any good unless he has months of dedicated fitness training behind him?

Top teams can't be carrying players like that, doesn't matter how talented they might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Players like Shaw concern me to be honest. Last year he was getting kudos for doing some fitness training over the summer and starting the season well, but before that he was unfit, and now again he looks very unfit. So is he one of these players that can't maintain his fitness, and that isn't any good unless he has months of dedicated fitness training behind him?

Top teams can't be carrying players like that, doesn't matter how talented they might be.

He looks very heavy these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Let them, there are no points to be won for running around for the most km, or (as we found last year) possession, and goal difference is only worth half a point a season. Let them run around pointlessly, expend energy and increase their risk of injury.

It's good to know he can still perform when we're playing relegation candidates :p

I'd start praying for an injury crises now because if they stay fit like Leicester last season with one game a week they could win it all.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Schmeichel played on with a broken hand also!

Neither Shaw nor Smalling got called up to the England squad though so I don't know how it would be in their interest.

Maybe their sicknotes backfired.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ferguson was a fantastic manager but take the rose tinted glasses off he had his fair share of ousting players

In the media? Rarely if ever, I'd say you could count it on one hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

bangkok wrote: »
    In the media? Rarely if ever, I'd say you could count it on one hand

off the top of my head beckham staam keane, without putting any thought into it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rooney and pretty sure he said stuff about ruud

Selling players is completely different to talking about them in the media

Rooney played well today but Swansea are terrible

They are worse then Sunderland IMO

Maybe shaw and smalling ARE actually injured.

• Advertisement

Maybe shaw and smalling ARE actually injured.

International week,we should see a leak to the press about how Jose is being a prick to players.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Does anyone have any idea what our best starting eleven is currently?

Only about 5 of today's players would be in mine.

International week,we should see a leak to the press about how Jose is being a prick to players.;)

In fairness to both shaw and smalling, if they are in fact injured I can only imagine and I presume they are as both were not picked for England either, will be fairly pissed off with mourinho tonight.

What if they did play today and both got long term injuries for being "brave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What's this about Shaws family on social media?
    Names? Links to posts?

• Advertisement

What's this about Shaws family on social media?
    Names? Links to posts?

Think it was before the pool game shaws brother talked **** about Jose

In fairness to both shaw and smalling, if they are in fact injured I can only imagine and I presume they are as both were not picked for England either, will be fairly pissed off with mourinho tonight.

What if they did play today and both got long term injuries for being "brave"

Unless Jose was testing them, like maybe he wanted to say I'm not 100% but if you need me to play I will and he wouldn't play them

Kinda like lvg doing that optional training that zaha didn't show up to, or maybe I'm just grasping at straws here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rojo, right now seems to be resurrecting his career at United.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rojo, right now seems to be resurrecting his career at United.

After one good game? He was poor enough the few games before now.

Don't think Shaw deserves any criticism... a year ago he was probably thinking he'd never play again.
    I'm sure if he's carrying a knock he is bound to be a bit wary of it.

Hococop wrote: »
    Think it was before the pool game shaws brother talked **** about Jose

Again... names? Links? Twitter name?
    Anything I can see for myself?

I didn't see any interviews did he actually name check Shaw or is it a case of 2+2? Smalling and Shaw don't strike me a the type that would want to pull out of a game for no reasons I'd be really disappointed and even tho people are saying Shaw is off form and unfit the first few games this year and especially against Southampton he was one of our better players he looked like he was picking up where he left off before his big injury.

Dont mean to be smart but it's easy to look it up it was his brother so Google is your friend.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I didn't see any interviews did he actually name check Shaw or is it a case of 2+2? Smalling and Shaw don't strike me a the type that would want to pull out of a game for no reasons I'd be really disappointed and even tho people are saying Shaw is off form and unfit the first few games this year and especially against Southampton he was one of our better players he looked like he was picking up where he left off before his big injury.

Yes he named both of them. Bad form imo

If he didn't see the need for it I doubt he would of named and shamed them jose is not stupid he aint gonna do it for the craic.

I think the thing with fergie is he didn't name check players in public that much but that's because they were all his own bloody players they were his team that he brought in and nurtured for generations in some cases they would of ran threw brick walls for him.

If it's a case of Shaw and smalling were been over cautious well maybe jose is using the two of them to show the rest that you won't take an easy ride with him you will fight for the club.

You have the flip side of if he didn't say anything and the players like blind and mata are looking and saying what the fuk they are taking the piss and getting away with it.

Its easy for you to say it's bad form but you can't analyse it you are making a flash judgement from the outside.

• Advertisement

After one good game? He was poor enough the few games before now.

No, I know we have an injury problem at the moment in defense, but I don't think he has done himself any harm.
    I thought he would be sold in the summer, but I think he will be kept for a squad player, rather than be sold next summer.

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, I know we have an injury problem at the moment in defense, but I don't think he has done himself any harm.
    I thought he would be sold in the summer, but I think he will be kept for a squad player, rather than be sold next summer.

Yeh I agree he hasn't done himself harm with his performance today he was solid but he wasn't tested either Swansea were dire but been honest do you think many fans were confident when they seen his name as a cb before start of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

As regards naming players (for public criticism), I'd generally be against it but when United are dropping to 8th place in the league as early as they did this season I'd be on for calling out plenty of players.

United have been underperforming since Fergie left and it's about time some players got it in the neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The rumored United team for today is one of the worst sides I have ever seen.

De Gea, Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Young, Fellaini, Carrick, Pogba, Mata, Rooney, Ibrahimovic.

A terrible, TERRIBLE team.

Played alright though up against absolutely nothing in the way of resistance

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Have to say ive no issue with Jose mentioning players names if of course the whole thing is true and not being blown out of proportion.

I think its become a big issue in society now a days not just football that people are becoming untouchable and removed from any personal criticism because its seen as being offensive etc.

I think theres a lot of players not just playing for United that could do with a good kick in the hole that they clearly would of gotten from a senior play or other member of staff years ago.

I genuinely think United are seriously lacking in steal and hardness in this current squad. We have some big strong physical lads in the team but do you picture any of them standing up to some of the players before them? No chance.

When you think back at some of the absolute warriors United had playing for them over the years i cant think of many that could possibly fit into that category now.

We had players that you could tell they done everything on the pitch if they made a mistake it was the end of there world you bloody well knew they would be out there doing everything they could to make up for it the next chance they got!

I have so many memory's watching this club play over the years and so many examples of situations like these that made Manchester United the very best god i miss that so much.

If i had to pick one thing modern day Manchester United is missing its a player that lives for the club and makes sure others around him sees it this way to!

Can anyone pick one player out of the current squad and say that guy is going to be a Manchester United legend true and true in years to come when we look back on things? I cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rooney without doubt will be regarded as a legend when he's done. People just can't ignore what he's achieved just because of their own petty prejudice against him. Degea will be too should he stay here long term. If we can get back to winning ways then a good few of them could be, Rashford, martial, Mata all top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jayop wrote: »
    Rooney without doubt will be regarded as a legend when he's done. People just can't ignore what he's achieved just because of their own petty prejudice against him. Degea will be too should he stay here long term. If we can get back to winning ways then a good few of them could be, Rashford, martial, Mata all top players.

Rooney maybe the rest i would at this moment class them as great or possibly great players that played for United. They need to do a lot more and show a lot more to be considered legends.

Its pitty things things went the way they did with Rooney because the guy was irreplaceable at one point for the club. He was essential to everything.

Yeh I agree he hasn't done himself harm with his performance today he was solid but he wasn't tested either Swansea were dire but been honest do you think many fans were confident when they seen his name as a cb before start of the game?

I agree with what you say. He would not be a CB that one thinks 'Great, Rojo is playing'.
    He wouldn't be my choice for the game against Arsenal, but then the time we beat them 8-2, it was not a team that one thought was great before the game.
    Sometimes what shouldn't work, works. Other times a disaster.
    So he wouldn't be my first choice, but a decent squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't get the big reaction. He was asked about the changes for today and went through the players that were out. He didn't "name and shame" anyone. Did people watch the pre-match interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He was asked why they were not involved. He said Chris said he could not perform at 100% and Shaw came to him this morning and said he was unable to play.

What did you want him to do? It isn't like he brought them up out of thin air to have a pop. It should be used as motivation by them, if it is used as an excuse to throw the toys out of the pram then it is good to get that weeded out.

There is way too little character in that squad, we need strong players at the moment. I like both Shaw and Smalling, I want to see them pushed to get the best out of them. At times there will be a difference of opinion between manager and player on whether one is fit enough to play, thats ok as long as all parties handle it correctly.

You can see what Jose is trying to do with that kind of talk, he is so like Fergie in some ways.

Good win, Swansea were dog**** though. Carrick should be managed the way he has been and utilised in these games where he can control the game without contest. The use of him has been spot on so far, the temptation to try him against higher level opponents will become greater but I think he is doing the right thing with him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,591 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah Carrick was good today, but I had to laugh when his highlights reel on MOTD never had him under the slightest bit of pressure from an opponent, yes he can do a job for us but not week in week out at his age, and not against the tougher opponents.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Such a silly way to look at it. They have a week or more to recover every week so going flat out for 90 minutes isn't a big deal. Also, smashing teams, winning away at your rivals and averaging almost 3 goals a game tends to build a bit of a fear factor. So it's hardly pointless running around, is it?

You'd wonder when people will actually stop laughing at Liverpool and realise they're miles ahead of us.

They still have midweek games as long as they're in the EFL Cup :p

You can rotate in weak players to cope with midweek EL/EFL fixtures. But when you have your PL side running their arse off, you only get three subs per game to provide relief and those usually quite late on, that style has got to take a toll eventually.

Yes they're doing quite well at the moment. That's not a reason to think their coach and his one dimensional style is the new footballing messiah. Last October we were top under LVG, how'd that work out?

Scrap the cap!

Liverpool don't have a big enough squad of quality to keep that kind of tempo up over the course of a season tbh, not worried about them. Chelsea seem to be really gelling well now though and with my buddy Conte at the helm they now look a real proposition. Spurs still building but like Liverpool not sure the strength in the depth is there with them yet. Obviously City are still the team to beat (goes without saying at this point Arsenal will Arsenal) but nothing to suggest anybody is going to run away with it at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Might be one of the best United photos I've ever seen. It's like a real like photoshop.

6bnbuvv9q0wx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tweets have since been deleted but if you just Google Luke Shaws brother there was numerous articles about it.

http://www.football365.com/news/did-luke-shaws-brother-call-a-jose-mourinho-a-ct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Jones is well spoken, would love for him to get over his injury problems.

Liverpool don't have a big enough squad of quality to keep that kind of tempo up over the course of a season tbh, not worried about them. Chelsea seem to be really gelling well now though and with my buddy Conte at the helm they now look a real proposition. Spurs still building but like Liverpool not sure the strength in the depth is there with them yet. Obviously City are still the team to beat (goes without saying at this point Arsenal will Arsenal) but nothing to suggest anybody is going to run away with it at this point.

Liverpool have no Europe to worry about, klopp has them playing the best football in the league. I would be very worried about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Hate to admit it but pool played scintillating footy yesterday, could have scored 9 or 10, but did get 6 non the less. And playing without a real 9 too. Would be a bit concerned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Mourinho Mourinho I am perplexed , looking forward to the excuses and antics today. But we live in hope.

You just never know do you, but as I said we live in hope :)

secman wrote: »
    Hate to admit it but pool played scintillating footy yesterday, could have scored 9 or 10, but did get 6 non the less. And playing without a real 9 too. Would be a bit concerned too.

17 shots on target yesterday, a new record

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement