Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jayop wrote: »
    He's done absolutely nothing when he's been on the pitch to earn the pining that certain people seem to have for him.

He's been on the pitch? You expect him to come in from Germany, play 20 odd mins here and there and be world class?

Jay. C'mon now. Jay. Jay please. Jay.

• Lukekul wrote: »
    But I'm afraid poor aul Mick isn't getting any younger, who do you replace him with?

Excuse me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

sky88 wrote: »
    Liverpool and arsenal are simalr to me very good first 11s but not much strength in depth to cover if a few key injuries happen which will happen especially i think with Liverpool high pressing game.

Liverpool have goals coming in all over the pitch and no European football. (I'm not saying that to be trendy, it's just less games where they have to maintain that level of pressing, less chances to get injured and longer rest periods)

It's a long time since I can remember an Arsenal team having so much depth. So not sure what you mean there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He's been on the pitch? You expect him to come in from Germany, play 20 odd mins here and there and be world class?

Jay. C'mon now. Jay. Jay please. Jay.

No I'm far from expecting him to be world class, but he's been the opposite in what I've seen him so far. I would like to see him getting a run, but if he's training like what we've seen of him playing then there's no wonder he's way down the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its a massive 6 less games is it? 8 tops or were we expecting them to have a deep run in Europe?

They have a good players for the system in the first team, they don't seem to have much in the way of back up when players get tired/injured.

This will be their undoing this season, they can surely add to it in January maybe, they can definitely improve over the summer and be stronger next season. I don't think they can win the league this season. I think Chelsea will go close and City are the team that if you finish above them you will be champions.

After that it is going to be a war of attrition I feel.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

So being as optimistic as possible, if we were to beat Arsenal and other results went our way with Spurs and City we can go even on points with Spurs and get within 3 points from Arsenal and City.

Fingers crossed and all that, but considering how bleak our results have been the other top sides haven't exactly been cruising either.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Its a massive 6 less games is it? 8 tops or were we expecting them to have a deep run in Europe?

They have a good players for the system in the first team, they don't seem to have much in the way of back up when players get tired/injured.

This will be their undoing this season, they can surely add to it in January maybe, they can definitely improve over the summer and be stronger next season. I don't think they can win the league this season. I think Chelsea will go close and City are the team that if you finish above them you will be champions.

After that it is going to be a war of attrition I feel.

That depends, if you have to qualify for the CL you have the qualification games. Then you have 6 group games. Then you have the potential of the later stages. Plus they're usually against decent opposition plus the travel so all in all for the point of recovery, less matches to potentially be injured in etc etc

It might not be a MASSIVE difference, but it's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I hope you guys aren't playing down liverpool's hopes to any of their supporters you meet. Talk them up, praise them as if they have reinvented football and might as well give them the trophy now. Give them confidence and belief so if things don't work out it will be more fun to watch. The collapse when gerrard slipped was so much fun because they believed. Arsenal, city and chelsea fans are more realistic(bordering on pessimistic) so it never seems to work on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

carrick has been fantastic every time he has played. this craic of he wouldnt do it against better teams is nonsense. he has done it all his career. he is still the best passer at the club and will be until he is retired or let go.

We just discuss the boom-bust cycle, reaching its peak now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    carrick has been fantastic every time he has played. this craic of he wouldnt do it against better teams is nonsense. he has done it all his career. he is still the best passer at the club and will be until he is retired or let go.

Its not nonsense, you can't fail to notice that he is getting so much time on the ball to pick these passes. He simply won't get that against teams that play a good pressing game, or at least put in a shift unlike the Swansea lads yesterday for example.

He has always struggled against top opposition all his career when pressured. He is great to have for the rest though.

Its not nonsense, you can't fail to notice that he is getting so much time on the ball to pick these passes. He simply won't get that against teams that play a good pressing game, or at least put in a shift unlike the Swansea lads yesterday for example.

He has always struggled against top opposition all his career when pressured. He is great to have for the rest though.

lol

in all due respect that is horsesh!t

lol

No matter how many times you say it, its not.

If you want to debate it off you go, if you want to lol and do the usual lets just leave it here....though I would preface it all by saying the last thing we probably need is another Carrick debate.

No matter how many times you say it, its not.

If you want to debate it off you go, if you want to lol and do the usual lets just leave it here....though I would preface it all by saying the last thing we probably need is another Carrick debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW4Vt1aKt0c

a video of carrick v Real Madrid in the bernabeu, doesnt get much bigger than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

lol

Have to agree with stringer here he has struggled againist high pressing teams and when he hasnt had time on the ball.

Carrick has had a weird career were he wasnt given the credit he was due when we were on top and now we have struggled hes getting overly praised.

Have to agree with stringer here he has struggled againist high pressing teams and when he hasnt had time on the ball.

Carrick has had a weird career were he wasnt given the credit he was due when we were on top and now we have struggled hes getting overly praised.

Honours[edit]
    Club[edit]
    West Ham United

FA Youth Cup: 1998–99[7]
    Manchester United[207]

Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    FA Cup: 2015–16
    Football League Cup: 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (6): 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016
    UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2008
    Individual[edit]
    Football League First Division PFA Team of the Year: 2003–04[36]
    Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2012–13[208]
    Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2012–13[209]

also, who are these "high pressing teams" everyone is talking about.... i presume its Peps Barcelona team, probably the greatest club side in the history of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Honours[edit]
    Club[edit]
    West Ham United

FA Youth Cup: 1998–99[7]
    Manchester United[207]

Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    FA Cup: 2015–16
    Football League Cup: 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (6): 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016
    UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2008
    Individual[edit]
    Football League First Division PFA Team of the Year: 2003–04[36]
    Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2012–13[208]
    Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2012–13[209]

i wasnt talking about what he won i was talking about how he was perceived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I disagree. He's had some bad big games but then who hasn't? He was also often United's best player in big games over the last 9 or so years in CL knockout games and i think his positioning is as good as it's ever been. Finds it harder to get around the pitch and can't play as much but it's not like his game was ever really about athleticism and power.

It's hard to call him key and I'd like to see someone else like Herrera shadow him and learn the positions he takes up because he isn't someone that I'd want to rely on due to his age but there's no denying United's best stuff has still been played with him in the team the last 2 or 3 seasons despite multiple attempts to replace him.

i wasnt talking about what he won i was talking about how he was perceived.

well any player he ever played with said he was class, i always rated him extremely highly, i think a lot of man utd fans immediately compared him with roy keane as he got the no16 jersey which was stupid as they were completely different players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hope you guys aren't playing down liverpool's hopes to any of their supporters you meet. Talk them up, praise them as if they have reinvented football and might as well give them the trophy now. Give them confidence and belief so if things don't work out it will be more fun to watch. The collapse when gerrard slipped was so much fun because they believed. Arsenal, city and chelsea fans are more realistic(bordering on pessimistic) so it never seems to work on them

We were 3 games away, of course you are going to believe.

That took a lot of the supporters though that season and I will be atleast wise to keep the feet on the ground. I'm just enjoying the 30 goals scored so far, excellent attacking football and hoping for a return to the Champions League. Anything else is bonus territory and shouldn't be taken seriously till we have 10 games to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It would be great if we could win our next 4 games

Arsenal, West Ham, Everton, Spurs

It would be great if we could win our next 4 games

Arsenal, West Ham, Everton, Spurs

Win those 4 and we're in the top 4 I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Genuine idea could we actually have a man united vs Liverpool trash talk thread? It could work for both super threads keep the winderuppers out of them and crap talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Genuine idea could we actually have a man united vs Liverpool trash talk thread? It could work for both super threads keep the winderuppers out of them and crap talk.

Dont think it would ever happen, would be a mess to moderate. To keep it out of the Superthreads you would be better of sticking to just reporting posts you feel are wind ups/trolling as the majority of posts won't get acted on if they ain't reported.

It also comes up every year in the feedback threads about the Humour thread basically being one big troll area so it would be mental to have that too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

astradave wrote: »
    It also comes up every year in the feedback threads about the Humour thread basically being one big troll area so it would be mental to have that too..

That's only one person to be fair, who funnily enough has no problem posting away in it when it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That's only one person to be fair, who funnily enough has no problem posting away in it when it suits.

Yeah true, would still be mental to Moderate a United vs Liverpool trash talk thread though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A thread wouldnt do, I think it would need its own Forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If the Dome was still going it would have been ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I member that.

The hypocrisy is frankly mind boggling.

• Advertisement

I member that.

The hypocrisy is frankly mind boggling.

I think you mean memeber :pac:

Hadn't a clue who ye were talking about but Flint cleared it up with that last one haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

De Gea had to have been adopted. He's about as Spanish as Lyons tea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When I read Jose pissed off with the players I expect a lot more teams like the one at the weekend. He will turn more and more to the ones who he feels earned his respect.

I think that is very good news, if he sticks with that then the players all know where they stand.

Players likebRojo, Carrick, Blind, Jones, Fellaini all getting praise at differant times to go with Valencia/Herrera/Mata who has played well along with Pogba and Zlatan (who Jose obviously respects).

I think United are going to end up looking a lot differant to what we expected at the start of September.

De Gea
    Young, Jones, Rojo, Blind
    Carrick, Herrera
    Mata, Pogba, Lingard
    Rooney

V Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Jayop wrote: »
    Win those 4 and we're in the top 4 I reckon.

Top 4?! Top of the league more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't have one when we were good and they were shíte. Shouldn't have one now.

Can't actually believe what's going on with mkhitarayan, class player and he can't even make the squad. Not even getting a chance to impress.

See a lot of the papers running that shaw is baffled by criticism from mourinho saying he has been playing with pain in the same leg he broke last year which is fully understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Luke Shaw should shut his gob, shut his brothers gob, stop whinging to the press and get the **** on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Can't actually believe what's going on with mkhitarayan, class player and he can't even make the squad. Not even getting a chance to impress.

Kawaga-wallpaper-manchester-united-football-club-37439864-300-300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you see him in training every day? Coz I'm pretty sure the team at MU do. And on that basis they are leaving out of the team.

They gave him 20 minutes in the EL last week and he did the sum total of nothing.

Maybe, and I have no idea btw, maybe he thinks he has 'made it' and is sitting back on his arse.

So he gets his 20 minutes and should be going all out, demanding the ball, chasing everything down, look at me boss, look at me! Look there an assist, and a goal, and sweeping passes etc.

I have no idea, but I would wager on Jose going on facts as they present themselves. Jose knows he is under pressure, he is hardly likely to leave out MickyR for sh1ts and giggles when he is showing in training how great he is.

Don't you think it is telling that there is very few leaks from players in MU about how great MickyR is in training?

Kawaga-wallpaper-manchester-united-football-club-37439864-300-300.jpg

Not sure why you are posting a picture of kagawa?

Luke Shaw should shut his gob, shut his brothers gob, stop whinging to the press and get the **** on with it.

Did you ever actually think that maybe he is injured and needed time off for injury to recover? He has just come back from a career threatening double leg break and has been playing every game this season with injections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Top 4?! Top of the league more like.

8 points off top, that would require all the MANY treams above UTD to drop significant points and also require UTD to win against Arsenal and Spurs.

All in 4 games, have you guys been watching the same league ?

:confused:

Did you ever actually think that maybe he is injured and needed time off for injury to recover? He has just come back from a career threatening double leg break and has been playing every game this season with injections...

The thing that seems to have annoyed jose is that he travelled with the squad and only told management about it on the morning of the game.

Was listening to Ray Wilkins on sky earlier and a few others mostly everyone was siding with jose all the former pro players said they were constantly playing with pain or niggles.
    If Shaws pains were that bad he would not of been training all week but he was and only pulled out the morning of the game.

None of us have the inside track were judging from the outside but as I said last night I'd support jose on this if it's a case that the players were taking the mick and if they were training. In build up to game and pull out at last minute they are taking the mick.

8 points off top, that would require all the MANY treams above UTD to drop significant points and also require UTD to win against Arsenal and Spurs.

All in 4 games, have you guys been watching the same league ?

:confused:

Guys?????? One person said top of the league?

The thing that seems to have annoyed jose is that he travelled with the squad and only told management about it on the morning of the game.

Was listening to Ray Wilkins on sky earlier and a few others mostly everyone was siding with jose all the former pro players said they were constantly playing with pain or niggles.
    If Shaws pains were that bad he would not of been training all week but he was and only pulled out the morning of the game.

None of us have the inside track were judging from the outside but as I said last night I'd support jose on this if it's a case that the players were taking the mick and if they were training. In build up to game and pull out at last minute they are taking the mick.

That's what Southgate said

“Our medical teams - as with all the clubs - have been liaising very closely throughout the week (with United). The decision with Luke was a bit later but we’ve been aware both have been carrying injuries"

So both are injured confirmed by doctors and they could not play. Don't see why Jose went and made a big deal about it especially as we won the game easy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Luke Shaw returned from that leg break 5 months ago. He returned last season. Since his return he has had a full pre-season but just 11 games in he still looks plain unfit. And no mention of these injections before now?

Your point doesn't hold water but you know what, even if it did, even if Shaw was still struggling with the after effects of the leg break, even if he is doing everything he could and busting his ass off to get fit but just needs some time, even if all that is true...

...he still needs to shut the **** up, stop blabbing to the press and get the **** on with it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement