Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jharr100 wrote: »
    Hayley !!!

Pics or GTFO.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

brinty wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO.....

No pics please.. I start drooling at my desk.. It's not a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pics or GTFO.....

Dont be so disrespectful ya utter disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rashford in England u21 squad.

zerks wrote: »
    Rashford in England u21 squad.

Best place for him too as long as he gets some games with us also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Pics or GTFO.....
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Dont be so disrespectful ya utter disgrace.

Let's not go there...again :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I predict we will see a 2-3 players move out in the January window when they come to terms that they're not really part of Jose's plan. Kinda like how Mata came to us from Chelsea in January

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well you didn't aknowledge that he was an important member of the defence that concede so little last year instead you said it's all down to the team playing to not give away.

It's a fair comparison that it will be easier to score goals in a team that's set up to score goals but the attacker still has to score them same as Yeh it's easier to defend in a team that's set up to defend but the defender still has to tackle.

Think we're just about done here no point in going backwards and forwards we both explained our original points.

I did not say it was all down to the team playing to not give away (whatever that means). I don't dispute that Blind can tackle and pass and that he reads the game very well. If you want the team to play like LVG set them up to last year then Blind would be fine. That doesn't make him an excellent CB, which was what we were debating. He is far from that.

Let's not go there...again :eek:

Did you enjoy the game cookie? What an atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Truly a feast for the eyes.

Plenty of drooling on twitter but not a screen grab amongst them. :(

• quad_red wrote: »
    Plenty of drooling on twitter but not a screen grab amongst them. :(

I got one @ lunch :P

Did you enjoy the game cookie? What an atmosphere.

Yeah really enjoyed it! The stadium was rocking, were in the SAF stand so got to see Zlatan's goal up close(ish). Pogba was an animal and Blind's passing was a thing to behold. I was delighted with the win and it was great to see all the fans in good spirits as opposed to previous visits. Glad to see you enjoyed it, how did Mrs Jayo enjoy her shopping trip? Did you need to have your car boot reinforced for the journey home? :D

Yeah really enjoyed it! The stadium was rocking, were in the SAF stand so got to see Zlatan's goal up close(ish). Pogba was an animal and Blind's passing was a thing to behold. I was delighted with the win and it was great to see all the fans in good spirits as opposed to previous visits. Glad to see you enjoyed it, how did Mrs Jayo enjoy her shopping trip? Did you need to have your car boot reinforced for the journey home? :D

We were nearly directly behind the goal for penaltyso had great view.

Yeh she loved her shopping we stopped at Chester Oaks on way home and it was pretty coal I even enjoyed it myself loads of designer shops of all sizes like a little town itself. Car boot held up well in fairness we packed it out to the last.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I got one @ lunch :P

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

We were nearly directly behind the goal for penaltyso had great view.

Yeh she loved her shopping we stopped at Chester Oaks on way home and it was pretty coal I even enjoyed it myself loads of designer shops of all sizes like a little town itself. Car boot held up well in fairness we packed it out to the last.

Yeah the peno was up the other end so I missed Shaw being taken down before Lord Zlatan slotted home, I'd say being behind the goal was class!

It was handy that you had the car at least you could do everything at your own pace and find the nice shopping spots.

I can't believe how happy I am about our season and José being manager as I was totally against him. It's great to actually look forward to watching us play again. Would love to get over for another game this season but it's doubtful :)

• Advertisement

160933.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Pro. F wrote: »
    I did not say it was all down to the team playing to not give away (whatever that means). I don't dispute that Blind can tackle and pass and that he reads the game very well. If you want the team to play like LVG set them up to last year then Blind would be fine. That doesn't make him an excellent CB, which was what we were debating. He is far from that.

Now, I don't post here much, but lurk ferociously. Most of the time, I agree with what you say, but I don't here, I think that despite his poor aerial game, Blind was one of our finest players last season, and is an excellent centre back.

The only reason I'm bothering to respond is your frustrating tendency to present your opinion as fact. You believe he's "far from" an excellent CB. Lots of people disagree, including Jose it appears.

United have hired on of Arsenals former scouts.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/brazilian-joins-manchester-united-previously-arsenal-great-pedigree-mourinho/
    Manchester United have hired the Brazilian scout Sandro Orlandelli, according to Lance.

Orlandelli was working at the Confederação Brasileira de Futebol (CBF), where he was responsible for gathering data for player of the country’s national team, so he has some interesting experience.

Having already worked for a Premier League club, as a South America scout at Arsenal for eleven years, Orlandelli will know what he’s in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Now, I don't post here much, but lurk ferociously. Most of the time, I agree with what you say, but I don't here, I think that despite his poor aerial game, Blind was one of our finest players last season, and is an excellent centre back.

The only reason I'm bothering to respond is your frustrating tendency to present your opinion as fact. You believe he's "far from" an excellent CB. Lots of people disagree, including Jose it appears.

Or, it could be that Smalling was injured and suspended at the start of the season so he had to play. We don't know what Jose's feelings on the best CB pair are yet.

You could well be right, but only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fantastic, so we'll be able to say everytime a player turns into a top talent at another club that we could have signed him years ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

160933.jpg

I've the same runners as De Gea, got em for €50 on sale in lifestyle, what a cheap bastard :pac:

I've the same runners as De Gea, got em for €50 on sale in lifestyle, what a cheap bastard :pac:

He probably gets a fortune to wear them.

https://twitter.com/timboo95/status/768819616697245696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

https://twitter.com/thenumber10role/status/768541436484739073

There's plenty to like about Blind at CB. He's not great in the air but that's not the be all and end all of it.

Edit. Part 2 and 3 are in the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

adox wrote: »
    Schweinsteigers statement suggested to me that he is headed for MLS.

Very welcome at Toronto FC :D, no way it could happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've the same t-shirt as him. Got 3 of them in Pennys for a tenner about a decade ago.

Why are you telling me this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've the same t-shirt as him. Got 3 of them in Pennys for a tenner about a decade ago.

We've learned alot about De Gea today, friends.

He must've given his 3rd t-shirt to Ander then :D

https://twitter.com/thenumber10role/status/768541436484739073

There's plenty to like about Blind at CB. He's not great in the air but that's not the be all and end all of it.

Edit. Part 2 and 3 are in the comments.

I look forward to the time when we play a CB who is awful at tackling and you'll be saying "tackling isn't the be all and end all of it."

Maybe he disagreed you I'd guess ;)

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Or, it could be that Smalling was injured and suspended at the start of the season so he had to play. We don't know what Jose's feelings on the best CB pair are yet.

You could well be right, but only time will tell.

Which is why I said "it appears". He likes him well enough above Jones, Rojo, TFM, etc., at any rate. Likes him well enough to have said in pre-season he wanted 4 players, whom he has gotten, and having stated that the CB amongst the new acquisitions "isn't ready, will be managed, needs time". To me, it sounds like he likes Blind well enough.

"The only reason I'm bothering to respond is your frustrating tendency to present your opinion as fact."

Was that not clear?

EDIT: Please stop presenting your opinions as fact. They're not.

Maybe he disagreed you I'd guess ;)

I edited it to bold the bit I was referring to. I don't get people who think it's important to point out that the manager or "lots of people" disagree with something. Who cares?

"The only reason I'm bothering to respond is your frustrating tendency to present your opinion as fact."

Was that not clear?

EDIT: Please stop presenting your opinions as fact. They're not.

Anything you think is not a fact you can disagree with. That's how debate works.

Anything you think is not a fact you can disagree with. That's how debate works.

And you are arrogant enough to believe that your opinion on a player is fact, or will you acknowledge that you're stating an opinion?

Will you acknowledge the fact that your posting style often presents opinions as facts?

Will you acknowledge that for the majority, having a debate is far from frustrating; having someone pig-headedly make assertions that are clearly not based in fact without acknowledging same is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I look forward to the time when we play a CB who is awful at tackling and you'll be saying "tackling isn't the be all and end all of it."

Well if he was so good at every other facet of being a CB that he could get by just fine with being a poor tackler then I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. They do say the best defenders are the ones that don't have to make the tackle...
    Vidic was one of the best CBs we have had. He was a technically limited player though.

There aren't many complete defenders around. Blind is slow and small in stature but he has played really well there in spite of it. I've said numerous times we should be looking to replace him but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he continued there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jackwigan wrote: »
    Very welcome at Toronto FC :D, no way it could happen though.
    Well if the glory of playing beside the 401 won't win him over, that ridiculously tasty German kebab place in Kensington will! :pac:

Blind is a very good squad player to have, who despite being somewhat small and quite slow has the technical ability and brains to do a good job for us at CB, LB, DM, CM, and I would guess LM/RB are not off the cards either. He's a smaller, more technical version of John O'Shea in that sense, and just like O'Shea he has ample amounts of one of the most underrated attributes any player who isn't absurdly talented can have - he knows his limitations.

As far as I'm concerned he's grand for #3 CB, #2/#3 LB, and somewhere down the queue for DM/CM. Don't think he should be a constant starter, but unlike a lot of the rust and deadweight on the team, he's a very, very valuable squad member to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Should Blind play regularly at CB this season I would not be surprised at all that come next May he is judged to have had a fine season, and to have helped us to a league title. Thats because he is perfectly competent and will be good enough to handle the vast majority of teams we play in this league.

The problem is that he is good, but not great. And hopefully there will come a time when we need our players to be great, especially those players in the spine of the team. He is good enough to help us beat the Stokes and Southamptons, but is he great enough to carry us past Madrid and Bayern to a CL trophy? Will "good" be good enough for Suarez, Neymar and Messi?

Its great that we have him in the squad and I see no need for a new CB right this minute. But if we want to be the best in Europe it won't be with Blind as first choice CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Its not though but I'm sure you know this

And you are arrogant enough to believe that your opinion on a player is fact, or will you acknowledge that you're stating an opinion?

Will you acknowledge the fact that your posting style often presents opinions as facts?

Of course I'm expressing an opinion. I believe that my opinions are correct yes. Or, to put it another way, that they are based in fact. And everybody here who expresses their opinion believes the same about their opinions (the only ones who don't are trolls). Finding out which conflicting opinions are the correct ones requires discussion, that's a good thing and this is the place for it.

I could write "imo" or "I think" every time I express an opinion, but that would be completely unnecessary. If you are annoyed that I don't point out that it is a oponion every time I say a player is good or bad then you are being overly sensitive.
    Will you acknowledge that for the majority, having a debate is far from frustrating;

Hmm, I don't really know about that. I see lots of people getting frustrated in debates whenever they last longer than an exchange or two. And it makes sense that debates can be frustrating, because they are difficult and time consuming. But I wouldn't be at all confident saying whether the majority of people do, or do not, find having a debate "far from frustrating".
    ...having someone pig-headedly make assertions that are clearly not based in fact without acknowledging same is?

"Pigheaded" means stupidly obstinate. Could you point to a specific example of me being stupidly obstinate in the Blind debate?

Its not though but I'm sure you know this

It would be impossible for a player who is awful at tacklng to be a good centre-back. That's the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Class of 92 out of their league is on tonight at 9 on bbc1. New series following the team after promotion last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rio Ferdinand rarely tackled and he was one of the best centre backs ever to play in England

What about a #10 who doesn't seem to like passing the ball forward? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It would be impossible for a player who is awful at tacklng to be a good centre-back. That's the point.

Sean Walsh once played an entire Munster final for Kerry and was said to have played a blinder despite it later being realised that he had not touched the ball in the entire match. Food for thought.

Also, pun intended.

bangkok wrote: »
    Rio Ferdinand rarely tackled and he was one of the best centre backs ever to play in England

Rio was an excellent tackler and made tackles plenty often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well relative to Blind, most in the league, probably world are awful then. If you look at Smalling he gave away almost twice as many fouls as Blind and had a much lower amount of tackles won per game in the league going off Squawka. Now I believe Smalling had a very good season last season but Blind was very good too at the very least. Imperious some games.

Fwiw I think he was pretty bad in Europe last season but the whole team were cat for most of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Class of 92 on at 9 on BBCone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Billy86 wrote: »
    What about a #10 who doesn't seem to like passing the ball forward? :p

:P

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement