Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

One final transfer Jose please, I need a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Won't be Fonte anyway. Southampton have double his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dubmick wrote: »
    Won't be Fonte anyway. Southampton have double his wages.

He'd do the same at United. As far as I am aware it hasn't been announced he has signed a new contract with Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wouldn't mind the Europa League been taken seriously this year. Club should really target anything feasible to win to get that mentality and confidence back.

I don' think there is a conceivable group from that pot that we shouldn't be topping easily, without incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Saint-Etienne
    Gent
    Dundalk

Three nice short trips

Was literally about to post the same. Ideal, all an hour or twos travel and nothing to stress about. Be fantastic for Dundalk too, hope they get a big draw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

One final transfer Jose please, I need a boost.

Just think of Pogba and zlatan in a united jersey I don't know what could be more of a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the Europa League been taken seriously this year. Club should really target anything feasible to win to get that mentality and confidence back.

I don' think there is a conceivable group from that pot that we shouldn't be topping easily, without incident.
    When was it not taken seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Would love to win the EL. Would love Dundalk here in the Aviva, too.

Bradz213 wrote: »
    When was it not taken seriously?

There is a attitude in England that the Europa League is a bit mickey mousey. Plenty of clubs would prioritise other things.

Just saying I wouldn't mind if Jose made it a priority for us in his first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is a attitude in England that the Europa League is a bit mickey mousey. Plenty of clubs would prioritise other things.

Just saying I wouldn't mind if Jose made it a priority for us in his first year.

what do you mean by 'a priority'?

It surely is behind the league in priority terms. Where are you ranking it against the League Cup and FA Cup?

• Advertisement

We should be able to walk most groups with our B team now except for injuries so take it seriously if we get to a 1/4 final but dont be playing full strenght teams every thursday against minnows

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

I think we have always tried to win it though. I don't remember us resting any key players for EL games due to PL games in between or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Is there a numeric/integer recording of how many aerial attempts he made, along with the rest of the CB's in the league?

Other wise percentages being presented like this are pointless.

I would be surprised if we saw the numerical value of aerial duels attempted, if Blind was anywhere near as high as the rest. And obviously that is going to skew a percentage. I'd imagine Chris Smalling for example, has a very large numerical aerial battles contested.

Blind is small(ish) and doesn't have a great leap, sure, really no debate or issue there. But he makes up for that in various other ways. His reading of the game and interceptions are top notch.

I'd be surprised if his interceptions and clearances don't reflect favourably on him comparative to others, based on his positional play.

Out of the 38 CBs who played 20+ games last season, Blind was last in clearances per 90 minutes.

He was 21st out of the 38 for interceptions.

For total attempted aerial duels he was joint last. Smalling had 5.5 per 90, Blind 2.6.

All of the above from whoscored.

The fact that Blind contested so few balls in the air compared to the rest does not skew the percentage won rate. That is not the way proportions work. Blind contested fewer aerial duels, of the ones he contested he won an extremely small proportion compared to the rest of the league. This low return of wins to contests shows that he was weak at winning the contests he attempted
    Watching Blind he is a clearly intelligent player. There is frequent and common situations where he stands off, or lets a striker take the first ball and then he knicks the second one.

That idea works well in certain situations, like when a striker is isolated, or is going to be moving away from goal, etc. Blind is good in those situations. But when there's a ball crossed into the six yard box and two opposition forwards moving to head it, then standing off and not trying to win the header is a very bad idea. Or when there's a vertical, long ball played into his channel with two or three opposition forwards working close together to receive it - standing off and letting one of them have an uncontested header will cause problems a lot of the time.
    But in just general, viewing of our team, I'm not sure why anyone would want rid of Blind. He was a really good partnership with Smalling last season, and already we are seeing a partnership with Bailly. Mourinho has praised Blind publicly a few times now. It might well be transpiring Blind is becoming the linchpin of our defence. And as long as he has some height and pace around him (which he does) I'm not overly concerned with him in our team at all.

Because, from general viewing, he did not make a really good partnership with Smalling last season. There were clear weaknesses caused by having a CB who was such a non-entity in the air. A lot of that was covered up by LVG's tactics (basically keeping the ball up the other end of the pitch an unusually large proportion of the time), Smalling and DDG, but those tactics will be gone this season (I hope) and so that flaw is likely to become more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The EL should be the 2nd Priority this season.

Be very disappointed to not least get to 1/4 final stage.

Its will be least 9 years since we won European Competition, if we like to go with the "Biggest club in world" then this should be a one to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Anyone wanting to keep up with the draw. It's starting now. Live stream from site too.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2017/draws/round=2000792/drawcentre/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pogba said he wants to win everything this year including the Europa League.
    He doesn't like losing.

Europa final is in Sweden, Zlatan will want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RobertKK wrote: »
    Europa final is in Sweden, Zlatan will want to be there.

Oh, didn't know that! I'II be going then anyway either way.

United first out and in Group A.

first never follows ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Pretty much the rest of these teams would be 3rd or 4th seed if they were in the CL.

Group A:

Manchester United
    Fenerbahce

Hardest team we could get

Fenerbache. Return of RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Great, into a warzone. Wonderful.

what do you mean by 'a priority'?

It surely is behind the league in priority terms. Where are you ranking it against the League Cup and FA Cup?

Yeah obviously behind league.

For this season I'd put it in ahead of FA Cup and League cup personally. Think it would be sweet to have a good European campaign with Jose and co in their first season, little warmup ahead of hopefully CL football next season and I assume a proper assault into the later stages.

And I don't think it's a trophy to be sniffed at, as it seems to be in England. There is good teams in the later rounds and its a tough one to win.

Gent aswell another decent side.

Edit: nothing to see here ha stupid draw ha.

Fuk feynoord

Group A:

Manchester United
    Fenerbahce
    Feyenoord

This is a brutal draw

• Advertisement

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Hardest team we could get

Meh

Play the best teams
    Beat the best teams

Christ, I was actually saying to someone today I didn't want us to get Fenerbahce or Feyenoord...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

The lads from Gent were sick that they didn't get the united draw. Why did they go to group H?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ah we should be able to handle Dirk Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

We'll get Astana aswell just for good measure...

Southampton got a tougher draw with Sparta Prague and Inter Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Delighted it's tougher matches to be honest (but not about travelling to Istanbul).

Will be a better experience for the younger lads to be playing tougher teams.

Saying that, please let Dundalk be our last team!!!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Meh

Play the best teams
    Beat the best teams

I'm not complaining I'm delighted make it more interestingames if nothing else. Better then going to some little sh1tty Azerbaijan side any day of week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Group A:

Manchester United
    Fenerbahce
    Feyenoord
    Luhansk (Ukraine)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Debil wrote: »
    The lads from Gent were sick that they didn't get the united draw. Why did they go to group H?

4 Belgian teams in the competition, so 2 have to go into each half of the draw.
    Anderlecht and Genk were already in first half, so Gent got moved to H (couldn't go to G because of Standard Liege).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

2 warzones and Dirk Kuyt. Lovely.

A trip to Turkey and Ukraine. Ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    Group A:

Manchester United
    Fenerbahce
    Feyenoord
    Luhansk (Ukraine)

Jaysus, Turkey and Ukraine. Awesome :rolleyes:

Still, should be beating Feyenoord and Luhansk with no hassle and should be able to beat Fenerbahce without too much hassle too, even fielding a second string.

Ukraine and Turkey.....so much for a short flight :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I've never heard of that Ukrainian team. We certainly got beaten with the sh!t stick regarding travel distance!

Edit: Poor Dundalk have it as bad!

Zenit
    AZ Alkmaar
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv
    Dundalk

Dundalk will be clocking up the air miles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Delighted with a strong group.

A computer will jumble up the teams in each group and decide when each team plays each other.

United are way ahead of the next biggest team, they will have to do their best to win it.

The priorities in my opinion:

Premier League
    Europa League
    FA Cup
    League Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Tough group all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Stadium in Ukraine looks to have a cracking atmosphere

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OxP1oozgIvA/maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.