Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Fascinating Manchester derby on the horizon.

Will be the first real test of both Mourinho & Pep's systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bailly won so many challenges he had no right to win. Even from behind every tackle was really clean. What a signing

And because of his pure power & strength, he also has the wonderful habit of nearly putting his opponents into the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United are lucky that LVG had such injury prone teams, maybe it was due to his training methods, but it allowed Rashford to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And because of his pure power & strength, he also has the wonderful habit of nearly putting his opponents into the stands.

He is like a son of vidic

Never giving up, fighting to the end and wave after wave of attacks, that's the Man United I used to know. Welcome back United, we all missed you so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rooney's preformance today was the best you can hope for right now; 89 minutes and 55 seconds of mediocrity (at best; he was dreadful in the first half, and acceptable in the second) and 5 seconds of "magic". He did very, very well to get the assist, but it doesn't change how poor he is for the rest of the game. Nothing today would change my belief that we'd be better served with another player in at #10.

Third game running we've had a fair few passengers on the team, but still got the win; Martial was poor again, and while Mata had a few ok moments, he wasn't great. He drifted centrally way too often for whatever reason.

Bailly was incredible. Fellaini and Valencia weren't as good as the last few games but still look far better under Jose than under the other two. Shaw looked good, and Blind didn't put a foot wrong. The additions of Mkhitaryan and Rashford changed the game, especially since you feel Hull retreated more and more. Mkhitaryan should be starting the City game over any of Martial, Rooney or Mata.

Feel sorry for Hull, but if you invite that much pressure, if you give up the ball that often, then you can't be shocked when you concede. From United's point of view, it wouldn't have been the 0-0 we were used to under LVG and Moyes, and I'm thrilled that we're 9/9. Already five points ahead of Arsenal and Pool. It's early, but anytime you can open that gap, it's great.

City will be a big test now. I do so hate the international break for idiotic friendly games now.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is like a son of vidic

My brother from another mother?

RobertKK wrote: »
    United are lucky that LVG had such injury prone teams, maybe it was due to his training methods, but it allowed Rashford to shine.

No were lucky he went into a season with only one senior striker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Massive three points today - I absolutely love a late winner! Just to see some fight, motivation and hunger back in the team is fantastic. It's games like that, when all looks lost and something comes off in the final moments, which give a team momentum. Three from three, bring on City!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Shaw our MOTM anyway, he was everywhere, to see his fitness at that level considering the doubts that were over him in his first year and then the horrific injury last season, its fantastic.

Bailly, what a signing, the guy is a monster, not afraid to get forward and solid as a rock at the back.

Rashers and Miki.

Completely changed our set up when they came on, Miki in particular had some brilliant touches and mazey runs.

9/9 so far with only one goal conceded.

Tbf we have played 3 teams that wouldn't be considered attacking forces.

City next up will be an altogether different challenge.

Hopefully the squad will get through the international break unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The thread sometimes is a little bit like Groundhog Day, win lose or draw the Rooney debate rages on after every game, like some sort of weekly get together.

At this point we all nearly know everyone's opinions on it and just keep going through the motions anyway without anything changing.

I'm deciding to just enjoy this victory. Another clean sheet, top of the league, and unbeaten. Roll on the derby.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The thread sometimes is a little bit like Groundhog Day, win lose or draw the Rooney debate rages on after every game, like some sort of weekly get together.

At this point we all nearly know everyone's opinions on it and just keep going through the motions anyway without anything changing.

I'm deciding to just enjoy this victory. Another clean sheet, top of the league, and unbeaten. Roll on the derby.

Get ready for the next two weeks so with nothing else to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jayo26 wrote: »
    Get ready for the next two weeks so with nothing else to discuss.

Rooney, Blind, Smalling, Fellaini debates and I'm hoping something a bit outrageous sparks up too just for a comedic effect! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Great win at the death. Thought it was going to be one of those days.

I'd say Martial and Mata are out now for Rashford and Mhyki. Martial has had a poor start. Really only going to get so many chances with the options available.

Hopefully that's a good thing across the board making players up their game.

Apart from Martial, Rooney for most part and Mata at times, everyone else did well. Fair play to Fellaini. Looking a lot more controlled and confident. Pretty much kept Hull boxed in and for large parts let Pogba play much further forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adamocovic wrote: »

But its the quintessential Rooney issue. Can you carry someone that much and have them slow down the attacks for the hope of that one assist?

It's why the debate is fascinating. I thought he was poor again in parts and of course delighted with his assist and play at the end. But it's masking a problem that's going to need to be addressed.

Mhyki looked far superior when he came on and they changed to push Rooney to the left. But that will never be a convincing starting front 4 IMO.

God if Memphis can just get back form he could really nail down that LW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Anyone got any clips or gifs of Rashford's goal? I didn't actually see it.

Check Reddit soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

One of our fans broke his leg celebrating the goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ugh poxy International break next week but I really hope Mkhitaryan and Rashford start in two weeks time, both were very impressive.

And I cant put it any better than Pogba

https://twitter.com/ALii_NaQvii/status/769602816742653953

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Loved Jose after the game "attacks should start with the fullbacks,not getting the ball and passing it back to the centre halves,the ball should go forward".
    Thank fook the 'philosophy' of keeping the ball for the sake of keeping it is going out the window.

Fellaini has a "bad back injury" as reported now on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mars Bar wrote: »
    One of our fans broke his leg celebrating the goal!

Under Van Gaal that wouldn't have happened :P

Here's a picture:

37A350C100000578-3761571-image-a-126_1472322964984.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Great that Rashford got the goal though. Was getting concerned at his lack of playing time so it's brilliant that he not only got on, but actually scored the winner from an excellent Rooney assist. Plenty of great attacking options in this side, exciting times ahead.

Did you turn your head away after Rooney played it across?
    You're letting your guard down there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

TheDoc wrote: »

Fair play to Fellaini. Looking a lot more controlled and confident. Pretty much kept Hull boxed in and for large parts let Pogba play much further forward.

Also busted a gut at one point late enough in the second half to get into the box for a cross too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney was class today even before the assist. It is ridiculous how little credit he gets.

There was a little spell - lasting for about 30 seconds to a minute - in the first half, where he lost the ball three times in quick succession. Other than that tiny bit of the game, he linked up the play excellently for the other 89 minutes; covered so much ground to build and keep attacks moving and got on the end of things in the box as well as creating for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Did you turn your head away after Rooney played it across?
    You're letting your guard down there...

Yeah I was waiting to see the next nonsense post in here that quickly dismissed his match winning contribution in favour of over exaggerating a poor touch he did earlier in the game.

Seriously though, I don't have BT Sport and my internet has been crap all day so I couldn't stream the game. I relied on live updates on the SkySports website, and from what I read both there and here it seemed Rooney's assist was quite good. Not that I'm surprised.

• brinty wrote: »
    Never bother with match thread mate

Oi
    M!Ck^ makes an effort!
    Even better when I'm drunk!

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney was class today even before the assist. It is ridiculous how little credit he gets.

There was a little spell - lasting for about 30 seconds to a minute - in the first half, where he lost the ball three times in quick succession. Other than that tiny bit of the game, he linked up the play excellently for the other 89 minutes; covered so much ground to build and keep attacks moving and got on the end of things in the box as well as creating for others.

He was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cq48VhhXgAAkzuj.jpg:large

Couple of reds in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would have wrote this too had we not won but I have just added "pity we did not get winner at the end"

3 things pleased me most

1. Players finding space to form attacks and get ball in around box. We created chances and bar few poor touches and lack of understanding( which will come) it was good to see us looking like a Fergie United.

2. The amount of time it takes for us to win ball back. Our pressing is not really improved but our positional sense when we lose the ball is. Under Lvg the opposition had ball much longer and were able to get hold of the game. We worked much better as unit today and helped us have more possession.

3. Our tempo is much sharper now. When we get the ball our full backs and Mids push up better.

Just a thumbs up for Bailly too. Whatever he had to do he did it well. His ball winning is second to none.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Ugh poxy International break next week but I really hope Mkhitaryan and Rashford start in two weeks time, both were very impressive.

And I cant put it any better than Pogba

https://twitter.com/ALii_NaQvii/status/769602816742653953

But that's not pogba. That's a random dude looking for people to think he is pogboom so he can get more followers.... that will hardly work ;)

TheDoc wrote: »
    But its the quintessential Rooney issue. Can you carry someone that much and have them slow down the attacks for the hope of that one assist?

It's why the debate is fascinating. I thought he was poor again in parts and of course delighted with his assist and play at the end. But it's masking a problem that's going to need to be addressed.

Mhyki looked far superior when he came on and they changed to push Rooney to the left. But that will never be a convincing starting front 4 IMO.

God if Memphis can just get back form he could really nail down that LW

Rooney didn't slow down the attacks in the slightest. He was by far our best player for linking up the play, all game.

The reason we played better from the Mkhitaryan sub on was because we replaced a fella who was doing shag all (Martial) with a fella who did things (dribbling and passing). And then when Rashford came on we had two dribblers in the front four instead of none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

He was ok.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

Linking up play from where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont see Smalling getting back into the team anytime soon. The guys in the back have been brilliant and superb chemistry.

I like smalling but it will take quite a bit to drop Blind and Bailly.

Im a big fan of Blind, im delighted that he is an important cog in this team's gear. Everytime top team needs a player like Blind.

Bailly is fast becoming the best transfer of the summer, its like he's been playing with utd for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

zerks wrote: »
    Loved Jose after the game "attacks should start with the fullbacks,not getting the ball and passing it back to the centre halves,the ball should go forward".
    Thank fook the 'philosophy' of keeping the ball for the sake of keeping it is going out the window.
    I noticed big difference in Valencia today. His biggest fault is that he is too slow to release the ball. He takes too many touches and then plays a negative pass. He is at fault for slowing down many counter attacks. Today he was more aggressive and clinical

• Advertisement

• Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney didn't slow down the attacks in the slightest. He was by far our best player for linking up the play, all game.

The reason we played better from the Mkhitaryan sub on was because we replaced a fella who was doing shag all (Martial) with a fella who did things (dribbling and passing). And then when Rashford came on we had two dribblers in the front four instead of none.

I can agree with this to an extent
    Martial off / Mata off was the correct call
    Bringing on Rashford and Miki turned the game and allowed Rooney to do a more with his passing
    Pace in the wings seems to bring the best out of Rooney in the position Jose is playing him in now
    He played some nice balls out to them towards the end of the match and Hulls defence couldn't cope with it
    As you know Rooney has been wrecking my head for a while now but I'm willing to consider reasons why and this may be a problem in the team
    As good as Mata and Martial can be they haven't offered enough for Rooney in the last couple of games to be fair to him
    Again I would like to state I'm still super critical of Rooney but as expected because he's a Utd legend and I always expect him to be one of the best players on the pitch, it looks like Jose is still showing faith in him. After all this time me as a fan I am still willing to give him a chance if the best can be gotten out of him.
    I just think the system has to be tweaked for this to be a reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont see Smalling getting back into the team anytime soon. The guys in the back have been brilliant and superb chemistry.

I like smalling but it will take quite a bit to drop Blind and Bailly.

Im a big fan of Blind, im delighted that he is an important cog in this team's gear. Everytime top team needs a player like Blind.

Bailly is fast becoming the best transfer of the summer, its like he's been playing with utd for years.

Blind has such composure and intelligence. Has his flaws, but a classy player imo.

And great hair obvs.

And great hair obvs.

His hair is too nice to mess up from heading balls.;):p

RasTa wrote: »
    Linking up play from where?

Midfield; in front of the the opposition back four; down the wings in the final third and inside the box.

Saw this summary of Rooney today:
    Tbf, it was a bit like being kicked in the balls for 90-odd minutes, then being handed a tenner & asked to forget the pain.

Midfield; in front of the the opposition back four; down the wings and inside the box.

Disagree bar the goal which is obviously a big point. Thought Fellani linked up play from midfield better than Rooney.

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    **** it in the pub, dying of a hangover, stout and a Utd win please

:D:pac::pac::D:pac:

**** yes

Nonsense.

You're always banging on about hyperbole when anybody dares mention Rooney in a less than favourable manner.
    He was not class today, far from it. He did ok and was superb in setting up the goal. It's par for the course for him these days.

• https://twitter.com/KickAssCantona/status/769619187354435588

Another great performance from the big fella
    Gona be an unsung hero this season IMO

• Advertisement

• https://twitter.com/Mufc_Paul1/status/769620866971889666

****ing love this mentality
    As a Jose critic he's slowly wining me over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement