Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Mufc_Paul1/status/769620866971889666

****ing love this mentality
    As a Jose critic he's slowly wining me over

He's quickly winning me over :pac:
    Of course it could all change just as quickly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see Adidas are re-launching the 1990 United jersey, my first jersey. Still looks lovely but not arsed paying that much for a t-shirt

http://www.adidas.ie/manchester-united-fc-home-jersey/AZ1236.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Absolute mayhem in the stands once we scored. As fun as it may seem it really is dangerous and scary stuff. We've all heard of freak accidents happening in moments like these. Hopefully stewards and security is tighter to ensure stuff like doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

xtal191 wrote: »
    Ugh poxy International break next week but I really hope Mkhitaryan and Rashford start in two weeks time, both were very impressive.

And I cant put it any better than Pogba

https://twitter.com/ALii_NaQvii/status/769602816742653953

Hate to tell you this but that is not Pogba :pac:

Edit: just realised i did a Zerks! ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You're always banging on about hyperbole when anybody dares mention Rooney in a less than favourable manner.
    He was not class today, far from it. He did ok and was superb in setting up the goal. It's par for the course for him these days.

When he was moved out to the left and the responsibility of linking up the play was given to other players,he improved.His touch,awareness and passing aren't up to scratch to dictate play in the #10 position.Hull found it easy to crowd him out when he was there as his movement and speed of thought and deed were too slow.Out wide he found a bit of room and a moment of stupidity of Elmohamady let him in for the assist.One decent moment per game is not enough,Gerrard did that for several years for Liverpool and he was like an albatross for that team,Rooney is becoming ours,doing just enough to warrant another start.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Hate to tell you this but that is not Pogba :pac:

Edit: just realised i did a Zerks! ffs

nelson-bbpin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

So happy that LVG gave Rashford playing time last season. Looks a serious talent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You're always banging on about hyperbole when anybody dares mention Rooney in a less than favourable manner.

Bollocks am I. I used the term hyperbole to describe claims that Rooney had looked like a pub team player and that he seemed to miss every second simple pass. Those are clearly not just less than favourable mentions of him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Bollocks am I. I used the term hyperbole to describe claims that Rooney had looked like a pub team player and that he seemed to miss every second simple pass. Those are clearly not just less than favourable mentions of him.

Saying he was class is just as much of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

https://twitter.com/KickAssCantona/status/769619187354435588

Another great performance from the big fella
    Gona be an unsung hero this season IMO

Completely agree. To me, he's slowly becoming a bit of 'cult' hero at the club. I think this season we'll really see his his value to the team as a viable midfield option, rather than him just being viewed as a player to hoof the ball to and hope he gets something on it. He's following José's instructions and making like easier on the lads at the back.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    When he was moved out to the left and the responsibility of linking up the play was given to other players,he improved.His touch,awareness and passing aren't up to scratch to dictate play in the #10 position.Hull found it easy to crowd him out when he was there as his movement and speed of thought and deed were too slow.Out wide he found a bit of room and a moment of stupidity of Elmohamady let him in for the assist.One decent moment per game is not enough,Gerrard did that for several years for Liverpool and he was like an albatross for that team,Rooney is becoming ours,doing just enough to warrant another start.

How did he constantly succesfully pass the ball if he was being easily crowded out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Absolute mayhem in the stands once we scored. As fun as it may seem it really is dangerous and scary stuff. We've all heard of freak accidents happening in moments like these. Hopefully stewards and security is tighter to ensure stuff like doesn't happen.

Shows how far MU fell when the fans act as if it was Solskjaer 99 CL all over again. Not blaming btw

There was a few fans came over the barrier as well so MU will probably have some questions to answer.

Saying he was class is just as much of an exaggeration.

Sure we are never going to agree on how Rooney has played in any game. The fact remains you are talking out of your arse saying that I have banged on about hyperbole whenever anyone mentions him in a less than favourable manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Shows how far MU fell when the fans act as if it was Solskjaer 99 CL all over again.

3 years of dull, lifeless, cardboard, emotionless, dreary, monotonous, uninspiring, insipid football will do that to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Shows how far MU fell when the fans act as if it was Solskjaer 99 CL all over again. Not blaming btw

There was a few fans came over the barrier as well so MU will probably have some questions to answer.

Surely thats a question for Hull that there away section isnt up to standard to keep fans off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

What decent moments have Mata or Martial provided for United so far that Rooney is struggling to match? Why is Rooney the fall guy every week when he has contributed more this season than those two players put together? This Rooney bashing is unbelievable. Now his assist is down to "a moment of stupidity by Elmohamady" rather than any skill or ability on Rooney's part. Why isn't Rashford's tap in down to a moment of stupidity and miscommunication amongst the Hull goalie and centre halves? Is it because there's no agenda against Rashford on this forum? Of course it is. Like I said before, Rooney simply can't win with the "fans" in here.

Sure we are never going to agree on how Rooney has played in any game. The fact remains you are talking out of your arse saying that I have banged on about hyperbole whenever anyone mentions him in a less than favourable manner.

You're blind to anything bad Rooney does so yeah, no point in going over the same ground.

• What decent moments have Mata or Martial provided for United so far that Rooney is struggling to match? Why is Rooney the fall guy every week when he has contributed more this season than those two players put together? This Rooney bashing is unbelievable. Now his assist is down to "a moment of stupidity by Elmohamady" rather than any skill or ability on Rooney's part. Why isn't Rashford's tap in down to a moment of stupidity and miscommunication amongst the Hull goalie and centre halves? Is it because there's no agenda against Rashford on this forum? Of course it is. Like I said before, Rooney simply can't win with the "fans" in here.

I'd back Rashford up though as he hasn't put a foot wrong.
    It's very hard to criticise such a special talent at such a young age. Rooney will always be scrutinized because of the wages he earns and because of his legacy as a Utd player.
    Rashford was lively the minute he came on
    It was wasn't just a tap in from him, he nearly scored a cracker prior to the goal and was very threatening on the left hand side. Something Marital was not doing prior to the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Leroy42 wrote:

Step in the right direction towards another night like that.

That's why it meant so much to me anyway.

The last three years I doubt we'd have won that game. It was more than just 3 points in my eyes.

What decent moments have Mata or Martial provided for United so far that Rooney is struggling to match? Why is Rooney the fall guy every week when he has contributed more this season than those two players put together? This Rooney bashing is unbelievable. Now his assist is down to "a moment of stupidity by Elmohamady" rather than any skill or ability on Rooney's part. Why isn't Rashford's tap in down to a moment of stupidity and miscommunication amongst the Hull goalie and centre halves? Is it because there's no agenda against Rashford on this forum? Of course it is. Like I said before, Rooney simply can't win with the "fans" in here.

I'd imagine pretty much all the people on here criticising Rooney were massive Rooney fans a few years ago. They didn't just wake up one morning and decide not to like him. His performances have garnered the criticism.
    People will always go over the top, don't get offended on his behalf. That's just weird.
    Oh and Mata was only ok and Martial was sh*te if that helps.

• Advertisement

Rooney is being held up by some "fans" as the main man and beyond criticism.To be the main man,you have to give a minimum 8/10 every game.He no longer does this.In truth,he never really did but had many more moments of magic or streaks of goals to make up for this.Now that is diminishing and his limitations are becoming more apparent.
    Nobody is beyond criticism and yes Martial and Mata were poor today but do add more to a game on a more consistent level than Rooney is capable of any more.I'm not picking on Rooney 'cos it is cool,the fact is he is on the decline and we have younger,faster options in the squad.

I'd imagine pretty much all the people on here criticising Rooney were massive Rooney fans a few years ago. They didn't just wake up one morning and decide not to like him. His performances have garnered the criticism.
    People will always go over the top, don't get offended on his behalf. That's just weird.
    Oh and Mata was only ok and Martial was sh*te if that helps.

Just like every game this season. Yet it's only Rooney that's called to be dropped and whose mistakes are highlighted.
    I'd back Rashford up though as he hasn't put a foot wrong.
    It's very hard to criticise such a special talent at such a young age. Rooney will always be scrutinized because of the wages he earns and because of his legacy as a Utd player.
    Rashford was lively the minute he came on
    It was wasn't just a tap in from him, he nearly scored a cracker prior to the goal and was very threatening on the left hand side. Something Marital was not doing prior to the switch.

I'm not criticizing Rashford at all, but you can take away the skill involved in any goal and blame it on poor defending or "moments of stupidity". I don't do that though because I acknowledge that it is a skill to get yourself in to the right place at the right time as Rashford did to score, just like it's a skill to beat a man and pick out a team mate with a cross in a crowded box.

• Just like every game this season. Yet it's only Rooney that's called to be dropped and whose mistakes are highlighted.

I'm not criticizing Rashford at all, but you can take away the skill involved in any goal and blame it on poor defending or "moments of stupidity". I don't do that though because I acknowledge that it is a skill to get yourself in to the right place at the right time as Rashford did to score, just like it's a skill to beat a man and pick out a team mate with a cross in a crowded box.
    Alot of us have said Martial should be dropped in the last couple of games to be fair
    Fair point on Rashford

Rooney is being held up by some "fans" as the main man and beyond criticism.To be the main man,you have to give a minimum 8/10 every game.He no longer does this.In truth,he never really did but had many more moments of magic or streaks of goals to make up for this.Now that is diminishing and his limitations are becoming more apparent.
    Nobody is beyond criticism and yes Martial and Mata were poor today but do add more to a game on a more consistent level than Rooney is capable of any more.I'm not picking on Rooney 'cos it is cool,the fact is he is on the decline and we have younger,faster options in the squad.

Who is regarding Rooney as the main man and immune from criticism?

According to who must a "main man" give 8/10 performance in every game?

What have Martial and Mata added to the 3 league games this season that is more than Rooney's 1 goal and 2 assists?

Also, are you saying Rooney never gave an 8/10 performance in a United shirt?

The amount of horsesh*t in your post is staggering.

Rooney is being held up by some "fans" as the main man and beyond criticism.

Hello Mr Straw Man, how do you do?

Alot of us have said Martial should be dropped in the last couple of games to be fair
    Fair point on Rashford

The irony of someone saying only rooneys gets criticised, only seeing the Rooney critisism is too much for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Step in the right direction towards another night like that.

That's why it meant so much to me anyway.

The last three years I doubt we'd have won that game. It was more than just 3 points in my eyes.

That's the difference between Mourinho and Moyes/LvG. Both Moyes and LvG would've viewed that as a point gained, rather than two points lost. Under Jose, much like SAF, I expect to see United of old, going for late winners instead of playing it safe.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's going to be matches when Jose does park the bus after we've taken a lead, he knows how to see a game out. But when it's not going to plan, he's not afraid to go for it and get the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

IMO Rooney was very poor until Miki came on.

When Miki started coming through the middle and Rooney was playing wider he was much more effective.

He (Rooney) is simply not good enough to be at number 10 running the show.

He certainly wasn't class this evening.

First hour was poor.

Last half hour decent.

About a 6/10 overall.

Shaw and Bailly were class.

Roo was not overall.

Just like every game this season. Yet it's only Rooney that's called to be dropped and whose mistakes are highlighted.

Aimed at me I take it? Elmo was damn good all game,every corner taken seemed magnetically attracted to him (coincidentally taken by Rooney) yet in that vital second when he faced up to Rooney he switched off and they were punished.His days of bustling past players or that little burst of speed at the vital second are gone,we have 2 new players that can do that with ease and one came off the bench and did a 'classic Rooney' by running through 2 players and past another until he was fouled by Huddlestone.
    It's not a personal vendetta against Rooney but we now have better options and he may improve,look at Valencia who we wanted rid of-he has reinvented his game and has even started crossing the ball properly again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought fellaini was very average today..

There is said it.

I'm not crying shame on him but I thought he gave away some sloppy needless fouls and he didn't look as near as good as he did the first two games but he was still alot better then most of his performances the previous years.

Hello Mr Straw Man, how do you do?

giphy.gif

You're blind to anything bad Rooney does so yeah, no point in going over the same ground.

Yeah, great ad hominem. You lied about what I have called "hyperbole" in this Rooney debate. See ya next time.

jayo26 wrote: »

There is said it.

I'm not crying shame on him but I thought he gave away some sloppy needless fouls and he didn't look as near as good as he did the first two games but he was still alot better then most of his performances the previous years.

Ya he definetly was alright, I think he kinda slipped on the foul that got him booked, once he was booked and had mouthed a bit he had to taper his agressive tackling and take on a more shielding carefull to not foul role.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Three wins from three.

New players playing great.

Old players performing better, revitalised in some cases.

Last minute winners back in fashion.

Damn this is a very exciting time :-)

Yeah, great ad hominem. You lied about what I have called "hyperbole" in this Rooney debate. See ya next time.

Ad hominem, straw man, hyperbole. You just need to squeeze a "semantics" in there somewhere and you've got the full set.

• Advertisement

Ya he definetly was alright, I think he kinda slipped on the foul that got him booked, once he was booked and had mouthed a bit he had to taper his agressive tackling and take on a more shielding carefull to not foul role.

The ref called over Rooney to have a word,he told Fellaini to quieten down,the new rules mean any backchat that the ref doesn't like is a card.Harry Arter got sent off for a 2nd yellow for mouthing at a linesman last week.
    After the booking you could see him holding back where before he'd have clattered somebody.

Yeh that's a fair point and fellaini of old would of probably had to be taken off.

• jayo26 wrote: »

There is said it.

I'd argue the yellow card he got stupidly I admit has clouded your judgement for his complete match performance
    Not a dig m8 btw

Ad hominem, straw man, hyperbole. You just need to squeeze a "semantics" in there somewhere and you've got the full set.

Yeah, using language. I really am the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Outside of all of this Rooney nonsense, Mkhitaryan played as a number 10 should.

Is there anyone who thinks he shouldn't be our starting 10?

Who gets dropped is a different argument but surely Mkhitaryan showed he merits starting at 10.

• Advertisement

I'd argue the yellow card he got stupidly has clouded your judgement for his complete match performance
    Not a dig m8 btw

No your probably right to an extent.. but he still wasn't as influential as previous two games. If that's because of the card fair enough.

Yeah, using language. I really am the worst.

It's all a bit discussion fora cliché.

RasTa wrote: »
    Disagree bar the goal which is obviously a big point. Thought Fellani linked up play from midfield better than Rooney.

I'd say Fellaini and Pogba linked play better in midfield all right, because they did more of it. But they were playing CM, Rooney was only dipping in there in spells. Rooney linked it better in the final third than those two, but again, that was his role more than theirs. Overall, I'd have Rooney's link up play as the best of anyone in the team, but how much you can actually compare between players in different roles is always questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    No your probably right to an extent.. but he still wasn't as influential as previous two games. If that's because of the card fair enough.

I think that's due to the fact that Bournemouth and Southampton had more of the ball and attacked more and Fellaini was seen more with his tackles and interceptions.. I thought he linked up the play well today and allowed Pogba to stay up the pitch which was what was needed in games like this

Outside of all of this Rooney nonsense, Mkhitaryan played as a number 10 should.

Is there anyone who thinks he shouldn't be our starting 10?

Who gets dropped is a different argument but surely Mkhitaryan showed he merits starting at 10.

I'd say Rooney should be starting at 10, not Mkhitaryan. Rooney is better at getting on the end of chances in the box than Mkhitaryan and that is important, because Ibra does a lot of dropping back to play like a 10.

I'd have Mkhitaryan replacing Mata out wide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Any word on Fellaini's injury? Hearing rumours he could be out for the season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RasTa wrote: »
    Cq48VhhXgAAkzuj.jpg:large

Couple of reds in the background.

Wtf is that in the crowd above Rashfords head?
    Donkey?
    Demon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

2015-2016 - Bournemouth v Man U - 2 -1
    2016-2017 - Bournemouth v Man U - 1 -3

2015-2016 - Man U v Southampton - 0 -1
    2016-2017 - Man U v Southampton - 2 -0

2016-2017 - Hull v Man U - 0 -1

+6 points on last season

GzvlQ_s-200x150.gif

It's all a bit discussion fora cliché.

There's no point trying to be original when dealing with arguments with such common flaws.

Anyway, it's great the way you have so many criticisms of my posting style and so little to contribute to the actual discussion of Rooney's play.

Any word on Fellaini's injury? Hearing rumours he could be out for the season??

They just said after the game "it's his back,it's bad."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement