Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Any word on Fellaini's injury? Hearing rumours he could be out for the season??

Jose said in the post match presser

'I think we are going to lose Fellaini for a while'

Not good news. He had another good game today and was very influential in winning the ball back for the team especially in aerial battles.

But two weeks now to recover. I hope it isn't too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Any word on Fellaini's injury? Hearing rumours he could be out for the season??
    zerks wrote: »
    They just said after the game "it's his back,it's bad."

Jose gave an update saying the same thing.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Aug/jose-mourinho-reveals-back-injury-for-marouane-fellaini-after-win-at-hull.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd
    MOURINHO CONFIRMS BACK INJURY FOR FELLAINI

Jose Mourinho has confirmed Marouane Fellaini suffered a back injury during Manchester United's 1-0 victory at Hull City.

The midfielder, who was one of the nominees in @ManUtd's Man of the Match poll, produced another solid display in the middle of the park alongside Paul Pogba.

Mourinho told BT Sport afterwards that "Marouane is a special guy for us in our defensive work" and later revealed in his press conference that the Belgian midfielder had picked up a problem.

"He has an injury in his back. It's not good," the boss confirmed.

Fellaini has been named in Belgium's squad for the international break but is set to be assessed by medical staff before the matches against Spain and Cyprus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

paulbok wrote: »
    Wtf is that in the crowd above Rashfords head?
    Donkey?
    Demon?

Or maybe just a boring old exit sign ;)

Rashford really can't help but shine can he.. anytime he comes on for a sub even in the Euro's for England he just lights up the final third of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Buzzing after that win, a complete domination of the game and a fully deserved 3 points in **** conditions. Come in here for a read and everyone arguing over Rooney AGAIN. He basically won us the game with that skill and pass at the end...

Glory glory Man Utd.

Someone positive is after hacking bangkoks account lads report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's bad news about Fellaini if he's out for a while. If longer maybe Jose will dip into the remaster market again.

I wouldn't be confident in Schneiderlin filling that role.

Very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Just watching MOTD. The composure of Rashford at 18 years of age is phenomenal. Three Hull lads around him and he got a great shot off, slipped Mkhi in for his effort whilst under pressure and finally gets the winner in ET - He reminds me of a young Teddy Sheringham.

adox wrote: »
    That's bad news about Fellaini if he's out for a while. If longer maybe Jose will dip into the remaster market again.

I wouldn't be confident in Schneiderlin filling that role.

Very worrying.

Fellini will be a loss no doubt. Morgan carrick and Herrera more than capable of stepping in, even Bastian has his part to play if needed

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Fellini will be a loss no doubt. Morgan carrick and Herrera more than capable of stepping in, even Bastian has his part to play if needed

The only one out of them that may do the job is Carrick and he's just too old now and not a typical Jose defensive midfielder. No way Herrera can fill that role. Not a hope that Schweinsteiger will play for Utd again.

I hope Morgan proves me wrong but he has been one of the most disappointing signings in recent years. Even if he reproduced his Southampton form the riole isn't his normal game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Interview/article I read from mourinho about Carrick has me bemused why he hasn't featured, talked him up so much. He was on the bench in last game (can't remember the first game) and not on the bench today... Confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is it too early to build a statue of Daley Blind outside OT?

The chap reads the game like no one else.

The only one out of them that may do the job is Carrick and he's just too old now and not a typical Jose defensive midfielder. No way Herrera can fill that role. Not a hope that Schweinsteiger will play for Utd again.

I hope Morgan proves me wrong but he has been one of the most disappointing signings in recent years. Even if he reproduced his Southampton form the riole isn't his normal game.

Carrick is and will always be a class player, same as Scholes but the legs will eventually go, but he has still a major part to play for us this season. Our squad is class at the moment.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is it too early to build a statue of Daley Blind outside OT?

The chap reads the game like no one else.

Brilliant tonight, but apparently he can't head the ball :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We have 7 games in 22 days starting with the City game. Everyone in the squad will be getting some game time.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Carrick is and will always be a class player, same as Scholes but the legs will eventually go, but he has still a major part to play for us this season. Our squad is class at the moment.

None of that had anything to do with The Fellaini problem and the points I made though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd say Rooney should be starting at 10, not Mkhitaryan. Rooney is better at getting on the end of chances in the box than Mkhitaryan and that is important, because Ibra does a lot of dropping back to play like a 10.

I'd have Mkhitaryan replacing Mata out wide.

Mkhitaryan got 23 goals last year, Rooney got 15 so Mkhitaryan no slouch getting on the end of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Who is regarding Rooney as the main man and immune from criticism?

According to who must a "main man" give 8/10 performance in every game?

What have Martial and Mata added to the 3 league games this season that is more than Rooney's 1 goal and 2 assists?

Also, are you saying Rooney never gave an 8/10 performance in a United shirt?

The amount of horsesh*t in your post is staggering.

Your inability to understand the fundamentals of being a leader are staggering. Plus try reading the post again before jumping in. Especially the line about 8/10 performances.
    Your blind defence of a player that needs to be phased out and that our most successful manager would have gotten rid of if he'd stayed in charge a bit longer is borderline delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lads Bailly and Blind look absolutely brilliant together!!!

Anytime any Hull player approached them, they took care of them in seconds. No nonsense defending from Bailly, cool and collected defending from Blind.

Smalling is going to have to work to get back in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How and when did Fellaini get this back injury?

I thought I saw him absolutely bursting into the box from midfield in like the 85th minute or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheDoc wrote: »
    How and when did Fellaini get this back injury?

I thought I saw him absolutely bursting into the box from midfield in like the 85th minute or something

Probably slipped a disc helping that aul wan in the crowd or something stupid like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Today, with 10 minutes to go one of he aul lads in the pub was jeering me about how confident I was United would win today, I told him I was still the same, and was still ready to collect my winnings. The usual back and forth between us, the point of my boring story is not even so much to toot my own horn on being right about the result, more to point out that I was being deadly serious, for the first time since Fergie I was still full sure we were going to win that game even with time running out.

It feels so good. It feels like something is happening, the team looks like it is a different prospect this season, I love you all.

I may have been drinking, but not too much.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There's no point trying to be original when dealing with arguments with such common flaws.

Anyway, it's great the way you have so many criticisms of my posting style and so little to contribute to the actual discussion of Rooney's play.

I said he was ok. Some good things, some bad. I'm not sure what details you want me to go into but I've compiled all his involvement in the first half here. If I get time to do the second half tomorrow I will. I'm just baffled at how you can say he was class today.

https://twitter.com/tek_no_logic/status/769680729970188296

Edit: The quality isn't great, better to watch on a mobile device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I said he was ok. Some good things, some bad. I'm not sure what details you want me to go into but I've compiled all his involvement in the first half here. If I get time to do the second half tomorrow I will. I'm just baffled at how you can say he was class today.

How many times does he go backwards, sideways or misplace his pass? I'm sorry but that's cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mkhitaryan got 23 goals last year, Rooney got 15 so Mkhitaryan no slouch getting on the end of chances.

Mkhitaryan is quality, no doubt. He's got a great shot on him, much better than Rooney's and Mata's imo. And he's a good dribbler and passer. But in terms of off the ball movement in the box to get on the end of chances and heading - like a striker - Rooney is much better imo. And that's important for our 10 since Ibra spends so much time dropping back and not running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

How many times does he go backwards, sideways or misplace his pass? I'm sorry but that's cat.

He did improve in the second half but that coincided with Hull gradually dropping deeper until they were eventually camped in their own third and were happy to let United have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For one of our top paid players that is just not good enough, 5/10 at best

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I joked before about us needing a thread dedicated for Rooney debates but it is getting to a point where that might not be a bad idea :P

Most of the people on both sides of the argument are adamant in their assertions and can't see sense in the others. It goes back and forth, never getting anywhere or reaching any common ground. The same arguments get rolled out and the same counter arguments. It's funny in a way.

Anyway moving on, with the international break coming up it's mad to think how soon we will be playing in Europe and the cup. Despite the fact we miss the first week of September we still have 6 games in that period. Can't be any happier at how we have started and I am really looking forward to seeing the squad rotations coming up next month. Really can't wait for the transfer window to close just so our squad is finalised.

It's a big month coming up for some of the players with many chances available. Personally looking forward to seeing how Smalling, Darmian, Jones, Schneiderlin and Memphis do in the upcoming period. Hope they come out raring to go.

Mkhitaryan is quality, no doubt. He's got a great shot on him, much better than Rooney's and Mata's imo. And he's a good dribbler and passer. But in terms of off the ball movement in the box to get on the end of chances and heading - like a striker - Rooney is much better imo. And that's important for our 10 since Ibra spends so much time dropping back and not running.

So your expecting a team mate to drop in and help out zlatan when he is not where a number nine should be or running like a number nine should.....

Now where have we heard you scorn something similar to that before with our centerbacks ;);););)

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    2015-2016 - Bournemouth v Man U - 2 -1
    2016-2017 - Bournemouth v Man U - 1 -3

2015-2016 - Man U v Southampton - 0 -1
    2016-2017 - Man U v Southampton - 2 -0

2015-2016 - Hull v Man U - 0 -0
    2016-2017 - Hull v Man U - 0 -1

+8 points on last season

GzvlQ_s-200x150.gif

Ehhh... Hull weren't in the premier league last season. I'm confused Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ehhh... Hull weren't in the premier league last season. I'm confused Ted.

Woops - that was May 2015. end of 2014-2015 - My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Wasn't able to watch the match live yesterday so recorded it and avoided my phone, radio etc for the night to watch it live so to speak.
    Stuck it on after herself had watched all that X Factor stuff. She comes in just as it kicks off and asks did it finish 1-0!
    Kinda took away from the end of game tension!!

Wasn't able to watch the match live yesterday so recorded it and avoided my phone, radio etc for the night to watch it live so to speak.
    Stuck it on after herself had watched all that X Factor stuff. She comes in just as it kicks off and asks did it finish 1-0!
    Kinda took away from the end of game tension!!

My woman always does that to me I usually just Google a spoiler for the likes of x factor or the soaps and drop the bombshell on her as payback it rightly pissed her off.

• Gutted about Fellainis injury
    I read the Belgium medical staff will do a further assessment of the injury.
    This is Morgan's chance to impress. I would only hope he can follow Jose's instructions as good as Fellaini has
    There's a good DM in there, but hasn't been seen since his Southampton days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very confident we will see Morgan step up if need be.

Hope Fellaini injury is not serious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am hoping the Fellaini injury is just to protect him from international duty or something.

Speaking of, when we were celebrating our goal yesterday, the fans celebrations seemed to break the barricade and sent people sprawling. Apparently one person broke their leg. Good Guy Fellaini, however, spent some time helping an older woman who got caught in the collapse.

https://twitter.com/CharHodges88/status/769614185542148096

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gutted about Fellainis injury
    I read the Belgium medical staff will do a further assessment of the injury.
    This is Morgan's chance to impress. I would only hope he can follow Jose's instructions as good as Fellaini has
    There's a good DM in there, but hasn't been seen since his Southampton days...

Surely the rumors of a season long injury must be bs if he is going to meet up with the Belgium squad that to me sounds like a month tops.

I mean I could be way off but if it was serious we'd be looking after him ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It must have been terrifying being down the front there on the crowd

• Surely the rumors of a season long injury must be bs if he is going to meet up with the Belgium squad that to me sounds like a month tops.

I mean I could be way off but if it was serious we'd be looking after him ourselves

Source of that rumour? Out for the season would be hugely detrimental to our title challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Source of that rumour? Out for the season would be hugely detrimental to our title challenge

Would it really though?

Most fans would have been happy to seen him sold during the summer. He's had a good start to the season in fairness. Main reason he's in the team is for set pieces. I'd be happy enough to see Carrick or Herrara come into the team ahead of him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Would it really though?

Most fans would have been happy to seen him sold during the summer. He's had a good start to the season in fairness. Main reason he's in the team is for set pieces. I'd be happy enough to see Carrick or Herrara come into the team ahead of him.

Main reason he is in the team is because he is playing well enough to hold his place in the team. He has been very good past 4 games maybe less so yesterday if he keeps up his level I'd performances he will be a very important player for us.

• Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Would it really though?

Unfair to say the main reason is for set pieces.
    He's been breaking up play, winning the ball back and his distribution has been excellent.
    Carrick's too old he's never going to be able to put in the amount of workrate to fulfill that position. Herrera doesn't have the physicality and height required to fulfill that Jose role either. IMO he is better placed further forward.
    Not sure who most fans are but look beyond the stereotype that he's a "big awkward player that can't play ball and just fouls people".
    I think that stems from rival fans dislike of him, which I personally love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Would it really though?

Most fans?

I'm not buying it.

Some fans, absolutely.

He is there for a helluva lot more than set pieces too as evidenced in the last 3 games.

I just read it here last night or at least I thought I did..

Would it really though?

You are naive if you think he is there mainly for the set pieces. The position he is playing is hugely important to the team, allowing Pogba a much freer role along side him.

Not a hope in hell that Herrera can play that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The last 30 mins against Hull was as good as I've seen from Utd in a long time. It was the kind of exciting energetic attacking that is expected from Utd. But it doesn't seem like the team are firing on all cylinders yet so I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when everything clicks. :)

Good man, those videos are great. That's pretty much how I remembered his first half, but it's good to see the details.
    Here's how I see each involvement:

1:45 Nuetral: Rooney receives the ball narrow left and passes it forward to Mata, central. The ball is a little behind Mata and he turns on it and plays it wide.

3:25 Good: Rooney pressing back intercepts a square pass from Hull to win back possession and passes it back to DDG.

6:52 Good: Rooney runs onto a through ball behind the defence just outside the left side of the box. He chips in a short cross to the on rushing Ibra with off his left foot, but the CB gets back just in time to cut it out.

7:56 Nuetral/Good: Rooney picks it up in front of Hull's deep block; brings it central, turns and passes it forward and wider, past the first two defenders, to Pogba in an inside wing position. Pogba does a Pogba thing.

10:30 Bad: Rooney receives it facing his own goal, in his own half as United are playing out. He gives it away when tackled.

10:38 Bad: Rooney receives it facing the side line, in his own half as United play out. He turns into pressure and gets tackled.

10:57 Bad: Rooney receives it on the half turn, in his own half as United are playing out. He has a heavy touch and is tackled.

11:26 Nuetral/Bad: Rooney, deep in the opposition half, lays a ball back to Fellaini which is a bit hard for him to reach as the ref gets in his way, but there are no opposition players near Fellaini.

11:30 Good: Rooney receives the ball inside left in the opposition half; three United players near him and most of the Hull block in front of them. He exchanges a few simple passes with Fellaini, waiting for the opposition to come out or open up a bit and then plays a forward pass central, passing a line of defence into Ibra who receives in front of the back line, drawing a CB out.

12:15 Bad: Rooney receives inside opposition half, in front of their midfield, turns and chips a ball over the defence to no-one.

14:02 Nuetral: Rooney runs onto a through ball, but it is played too wide of him.

14:33 Nuetral: Rooney competes in the air for a ball near the middle of the pitch. Neither him nor the Hull player get a head on it.

16:38 Nuetral: Rooney, Shaw and Martial knock a few simple passes around in midfield in front of the Hull block. Then Rooney plays a square pass central to Fellaini in space before moving forward.

16:59 Nuetral: Valencia passes a ball between Rooney and a CB in the final third. The CB gets to it first.

19:16 Good: Rooney receives from Martial inside left in the opposition half with a nice touch; then sends a return pass to Martial down the line, but Martial's marker (who had a bit of a head start) wins the foot race. The marker has a bit of bother because he's facing his own bye-line with Martial bearing down on him.

20:11 Bad: Rooney plays a bit of a pointless cross field ball out to Martial on the wing. The ball is just too high for him anyway.

20:47 Good: Rooney receives inside left in the opposition half and immediately slips a short pass forward to Zlatan; Zlatan takes it on a bit then passes it back to Rooney 20 yards out. At this point there are 5 Hull defenders in the back-line, with 2 United players ahead of Rooney; 2 Hull defenders closing him from behind. Rooney shifts it slightly left and looks to play in Shaw, on the near side wing of the attack, but then, finding himself with more space, Rooney turns back and looks to play it to the far side wing which is open. Valencia hadn't yet made up the ground, so Rooney just passes it back deeper to him, as the Hull defenders have already thoroughly outnumbered the United attackers.

21:33 Good: Rooney receives it 40 yards out, central, with 8 Hull outfield players ahead of him in a narrow block. He moves slightly back and left and then curves it wide to Martial who has lots of space on the wing.

24:45 Good: Rooney runs onto a through ball behind the back line on the right side of the box. He has two defenders in close pursuit. He plays a first time cross that is blocked.

24:56 Good: As Hull are trying to play the ball out from their own RB area Rooney presses back, snapping at the player trying to bring it out and so slows him down.

28:56 Nuetral: Rooney lays off a sqaure throw-in from Mata in the opposition half and then runs forward.

29:13 Nuetral: Rooney plays a one-two with Valencia wide right.

30:06 Good: Rooney receives the ball in the centre of the pitch, skipping over a tackle to keep possession and then plays a simple square pass.

30:19 Bad: Rooney is hustled off it by a Hull defender about 35 yards out, central, and so he gives possession away with a weak pass.

31:53 Nuetral: Rooney receives it narrow left and knocks about some simple passes in the opposition half. Ibra has also dropped back to join in this, so Rooney moves forward off the ball.

32:13 Good: Rooney and Ibra are close together about 30 yards out. Ibra passes to Rooney as he is moving backwards, Rooney draws a defender in a bit before passing it on to Shaw on the wing. Rooney moves deeper to offer an option for Shaw, but Shaw squares it to Ibra who passes it back to Rooney. Rooney then passes it diagonally forward and central to Mata, who is in space, and in the process bypasses a defensive line.

36:30 Good: Jumping on a cross spilled by the keeper, Rooney has a snapshot from 6 yards out, which is stopped on the line by a covering defender.

38:12 Good: Rooney runs behind the back line onto a through ball inside the box and puts in a good first time cross from the bye-line.

40:48 Good: Rooney receives the ball narrow left, half way inside the opposition half; he turns and runs at goal with it before slipping it forward to Ibra who is running with him. A defender gets his body between Ibra and the ball and shepherds it out.

42:24 Bad: Rooney receives it wide right, slightly isolated. He plays an aimless ball back, central and Pogba retreats to collect it.

42:59 Nuetral: Rooney lays a simple header back to Mata near the centre of the park from a high ball. Mata returns it and Rooney lays it back to Valencia.

44:56 Good: Rooney plays in a good (but nothing amazing) free kick from a not particularly promising position (too wide and deep to normally be much threat). Ibra gets on the end of it and does Ibra things.

So, he showed for the ball a lot, getting through a load of work. That means he is helping stretch/work the opposition and keep attacks moving by providing a receiving option. He ran onto three through balls behind the back-line accross the width of the pitch, providing a good final-phase-of-the-attack presence, pushing their back line deeper. Had a good shot blocked on the line (or close to it), put in two good crosses and had a nice spread of passes with a reasonable amount of incisive ones. There was one short shíte spell where he gave the ball away three times in quick succession, but that lasted all of 30 seconds. Other than that there were four isolated mistakes in a half where he was involved so much and positively.

And this was his "bad" half. Yeah, as I said, he was class yesterday.

That is some serious effort to prove a point fair play because I wouldn't have that much interest if someone disagreed with me.

Not a hope in hell that Herrera can play that role.

Never mind Tyson, but I am a bit optomistic about how Herrera is developing the aspects of his play required for that deeper CM role. I remember him showing some promise in that role against Chelsea under LVG (although he did make one mistake in the build up to their to goal). And he's played it a bit (kind of job sharing with the other CM) under Jose already and looked good.

jayo26 wrote: »
    That is some serious effort to prove a point fair play because I wouldn't have that much interest if someone disagreed with me.

It's more interest in how the game works than the fact that someone disagrees with me. Reading or writing that stuff gets you thinking about it all in detail, which I like. I do it all the time for players or tactics I'm interested in (without actually writing it down), even if I'm not debating anything with anybody.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement