Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

SkySports will have their work cut out trying to make tomorrow seem exciting. All the major clubs seem to be finished their transfer business.

Wengner is spending money that has to be celebrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liam O wrote: »
    Valencia hasn't been that good since preseason. He was back to his usual poor crossing self at the weekend. I'd still rather Darmian got a look in.

Nah Valencia has been very good so far. Can't think of one defensive problem he's had and the threat he is providing down a side of the pitch Mata is allergic to has been great. He's the only player playing on that whole side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi guys. I won 2 tickets to Ireland v Oman for tomorrow night but I can't go. First lad or lass to PM me can have them. Tickets have to be collected on Wednesday between 4.30pm – 8pm from Three HQ, 28/29 Sir John Rogersons Quay, D2. Please include your name as I have to transfer ownership to you.

To whoever gets the tickets I hope you enjoy Keano's sendoff.

Fair play gadge that's a nice thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nice one Gadge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvkuiRgXxj/

OK so it's a video of Rashfords goal again but I love it there is so much passion from everyone in the video it's like old man united again.

Also we were laughing at bailly doing an evra while celebrating but did anyone notice the fan doing a bit of slipping just before bailly arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvkuiRgXxj/

OK so it's a video of Rashfords goal again but I love it there is so much passion from everyone in the video it's like old man united again.

Also we were laughing at bailly doing an evra while celebrating but did anyone notice the fan doing a bit of slipping just before bailly arrived.

Mata and Rui Faria having a bromance moment when Jose telling Smalling to get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some leap by Herrera :D

astradave wrote: »
    Mata and Rui Faria having a bromance moment when Jose telling Smalling to get on :D

It was like he went to give jose a hug but had second thoughts.

It was like he went to give jose a hug but had second chance

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    Considering I've no idea who Fabinho is and how well Valencia has started I can't be bothered to care.

Bastian out at the last minute is probably the only interesting story for us to watch.

According to The Star,José "is seething" that Bastian refused to join Sporting Lisbon on a free. It's The Star so a pinch of salt may be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why would Jose care? He's not in the first team squad as it is. It's Ed's job to worry about the wage bill not his.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Why would Jose care? He's not in the first team squad as it is. It's Ed's job to worry about the wage bill not his.

One less potential problem to solve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How many out of the first team squad will be active for international duty this week does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

How many out of the first team squad will be active for international duty this week does anyone know?

De Gea, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Fellaini (being assessed due to injury) ), Martial, Pogba, Blind, Bailly, Valencia, Rooney, Smalling, Shaw, Rashford (u21)

Also Romero & Rojo

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Aug/august-and-september-internationals-featuring-man-utd-players-including-rooney-rashford-mata-pogba.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

He's not a Union shop steward, it matters to him if the club is wasting money on Schweinsteiger's wages because it could be better spent on a quality CB or RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What a difference year makes. Last year on deadline day ManUtd fans were resigned to losing De Gea but somehow transfer failed. Signed martial but not sure what to expect. Rival fans made fun about De Gea leaving on free transfer and ManUtd being mugs for signing martial for such a big fee.

Fast forward to one year, ManUtd fans are relaxed. Signed Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly, Mkhitaryan. De Gea is still here and no more deadline day drama. All this with one of the best manager in the works managing ManUtd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Korat wrote: »
    He's not a Union shop steward, it matters to him if the club is wasting money on Schweinsteiger's wages because it could be better spent on a quality CB or RB.

Schweinsteiger has a great contract, no club who would take him on loan would be paying more than a small fraction of his wage with United paying the rest. He seems content to sit it out anyway and not play. I don't think financially-wise shifting him will make much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Happy not to be involved in transfer deadline day drama for once.

Woodward/Morinho did the business early and did it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Still think there are areas of the squad that could do with a signing today. Would still like a right winger and a right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Still think there are areas of the squad that could do with a signing today. Would still like a right winger and a right back.

We have plenty of right backs and have one of the best right wingers in the world

bangkok wrote: »
    We have plenty of right backs and have one of the best right wingers in the world

We have a winger playing right back who has been defensively questionable, imo, much of the time he plays there. looks good going forward this season, but not tested the other way yet. I would prefer an actual top class right back in there. Mourinho seems to have no interest in the only other right back in the squad, Darmian. Therefore, I would like a right back.

We have played Mata and Lingard on the right wing in the opening four games of the season. I would prefer a top class right winger out there rather than either of them. Mkhitaryan can play out there, but he is not, imo, a conventional winger and you won't get the best out of him.

I would like to see:

De Gea
    New RB----Smalling---Bailly----Shaw
    Pogba
    Schneiderlin
    New RW
    Mkhitaryan----Martial
    Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We have played Mata and Lingard on the right wing in the opening four games of the season. I would prefer a top class right winger out there rather than either of them. Mkhitaryan can play out there, but he is not, imo, a conventional winger and you won't get the best out of him.

He got more goals and assists playing as a right winger last season than he did at number 10. He also got more goals and assists as a left winger than he did at number 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Quick one lads, If Aguero does get a ban after his violent conduct charge, can he not just appeal in order to play in the derby (and probbaly take the extra match ban he will get for a 'frivolous appeal')

Quick one lads, If Aguero does get a ban after his violent conduct charge, can he not just appeal in order to play in the derby (and probbaly take the extra match ban he will get for a 'frivolous appeal')

The appeal would be heard before the game anyway. He has to respond (whether he will appeal or not) by 6pm this evening. Appeal will probably be heard before this weekend, never mind next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I highly doubt it.
    Not going to claim to know the specifics of the process, but I'm pretty sure that kind of scenario only happens if someone is involved in a midweek incident and wants to play that weekend (ie. short timeframe between both games)

I think Aguero has until 6pm tonight to appeal the decision, so even if he does the process will be long dealt with by Saturday week.

Edit: Took an age to type this in work, Mitch said the same above.

We have a winger playing right back who has been defensively questionable, imo, much of the time he plays there. looks good going forward this season, but not tested the other way yet. I would prefer an actual top class right back in there. Mourinho seems to have no interest in the only other right back in the squad, Darmian. Therefore, I would like a right back.

I would like to see:

De Gea
    Pogba
    Schneiderlin
    New RW
    Mkhitaryan----Martial
    Ibrahimovic.

Last 2 seasons Valencia played only as right back. About time the tag "winger playing as right back"is dropped. Same with Mkhitaryan, last 2 seasons he played as RW and LW. Only in his first season he played as AM. 2 fantastic managers (klopp and Tuchel) thought he it's best as winger and played there. He had his best season as RW. Changing his position doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mkhitaryan can play out there, but he is not, imo, a conventional winger and you won't get the best out of him.

Mkhitaryan was the Bundesliga player of the season last year playing at RW. His performances and stats were both excellent. To say he "can play there" is a complete understatement.

Also, he was far more effective at RW than #10 for Dortmund.

As above, Mkhitaryan is a top class RW option. Lingard is a talented backup player. Mata (although not my cup of tea at RW) has so far been more effective there this season (in a functioning attack) than last. If we were decimated by injury to the above three players, then Young, Depay, Martial and Rashford are also capable there.

For RB, Valencia has been very good so far. People still say "well he's a winger", despite the fact that he hasn't played there in at least 2 seasons. Darmian and TFM are more than adequate backup. Even if Mourinho discounts Darmian completely, TFM alone is more than adequate backup!

Ahh Mitch we nearly went a full window without you complaining about transfers ;)

I wouldn't say no to a right back but I'm happy with the squad we have. Valencia hasn't been bad this season so far but if we did get someone like fabinho in would be more natural. Darmian doesn't seem to be jose cup of tea.

To be fair to Mitch, Michi wouldn't be what we would know as a conventional RW. He would be more an AMR. He won't be out wide hugging the sideline and will be cutting in instead and being a playmaker instead of a crosser.

At least I think that is what Mitch would like in his RW. I don't mean to answer for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I would like to see:

De Gea
    Pogba
    Schneiderlin
    New RW
    Mkhitaryan----Martial
    Ibrahimovic.

Who would you suggest to sign? Valencia has played right back 2 seasons now and mkhitarayan played most of his games wide right.

We play 4-2-3-1 formation so you are never going to have an out and out winger in that formation

Chelsea are bidding for every CB in the world and also for everyone who moves. Just a year out 2 back everyone was praising how good and efficient Chelsea are in transfer market, it was at peak when they signed Pedro.

They aren't that good isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm at the point where I don't want a single new player. All I want now is to see what this squad is capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If Mhkitaryan is not a convential right winger and you'd like one brought in then Martial must be doing your nut in on the left?

I'd argue Valencia is perfect for the current system as he is decent in defense and attack which seems like exactly what Jose wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'd still like see us get another player, but it's not essential either.

We got 4 terrific signings and am very happy with that.

If I was to grade this summer I'd give it an A.

Jaysus,glad we did get rid of Moyes,looking at who he signed and who he is wanting it seems the man has no faith in taking a punt on a player.All those that he either signed or is looking at are players he worked with at his previous clubs.Naismith is the latest target.
    If he stayed here,we would end up with the likes of Pienaar instead of Micky Targarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Chelsea are bidding for every CB in the world and also for everyone who moves. Just a year out 2 back everyone was praising how good and efficient Chelsea are in transfer market, it was at peak when they signed Pedro.

They aren't that good isn't it.

Who was their manager at the time?

No coincidence IMO.

That's what I've been most impressed with under Jose (thus far).

He knew months ago who he wanted.

Ed did the business.

3 games into the league we have all we wanted in place and all have been involved in games.

It's been nothing short of a stunning transfer window for us and is IMO the best we have ever had.

#welldonejose

#welldoneed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    Jaysus,glad we did get rid of Moyes,looking at who he signed and who he is wanting it seems the man has no faith in taking a punt on a player.All those that he either signed or is looking at are players he worked with at his previous clubs.Naismith is the latest target.
    If he stayed here,we would end up with the likes of Pienaar instead of Micky Targarian.

He arrived relatively late, needs players badly and is at a club likely to be fighting relegation, its absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he is speaking to players he already knows. I'd say any manager would be doing exactly the same.

He arrived relatively late, needs players badly and is at a club likely to be fighting relegation, its absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he is speaking to players he already knows. I'd say any manager would be doing exactly the same.

Other managers seem to be more ambitious with identifying targets.Even at United he spent all his time dithering before overpaying for Fellaini.It seems to be a lack of confidence on his part.We'd have ended up with McCarthy instead of Pogba and a team that would be struggling around 6th or 7th each season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Didn't Moyes introduce Rooney into the 1st team? Can't be all bad to have spotted that at such a young age. Also, he is the only manager to have gotten anything out of Januzaj.

MOyes did many things wrong at Utd but picking on his transfer dealings at Sunderland is silly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kind of wish we were getting linked with someone just so I could experience the thrilled of deadline day properly. :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Kind of wish we were getting linked with someone just so I could experience the thrilled of deadline day properly. :P

Lets' start another Rooney discussion: Jose said even he is under threat of being dropped: http://europe.newsweek.com/wayne-rooney-jose-mourinho-manchester-united-sport-494344

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has revealed even captain Wayne Rooney is not safe from his ruthless team selection.
    United won 1-0 away at Hull on Saturday thanks to an injury-time goal from teenage striker Marcus Rashford . Until providing the cross that made the goal in the 92nd minute, Rooney had produced a subdued display, the like of which Mourinho is unlikely to tolerate many more times.
    "I can take him [Rooney] out. It’s no problem for me to take him out, no problem for him to be out,” Mourinho told the Manchester Evening News after the match.

“He was like the team. The first half he was OK but the team was a little bit slow in the transitions.

“The team wasn’t playing with the intensity that we need and he was part of it. In the second half when the team brought a different gear, he did the same.”

Better to read that than what LVG said:
    "Only the captain has more privileges," Van Gaal said.

"No other player has privileges.

"There are always players we put in the line-up in a team - my captain shall always play."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    Lets' start another Rooney discussion: Jose said even he is under threat of being dropped:

65418174.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    65418174.jpg

Ok,lets laugh at Trevor Sinclair and his bias over Aguero.

https://twitter.com/trevor8sinclair/status/770691314493034500

Now Aguero has been given an extra 24 hours to argue his case....
    https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/770965841621950464

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Great to have the feet up on deadline day and watch everyone else scrambling around for players

Jose won't drop rooney he has been excellent so far this season anyone that cant see that should not be a fan of Manchester United. Rooney is fantastic... Rooney is fat.

Jose won't drop rooney he has been excellent so far this season anyone that cant see that should not be a fan of Manchester United. Rooney is fantastic... Rooney is fat.

I read that in Mario Rosenstock's Jose accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

have you been hacked by deaddonkey?? :D:p

It's good to know that José is not against dropping anyone if they continue with below par performances (not just particularly Rooney). Who is our Vice Captain? Is it still Carrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

have you been hacked by deaddonkey?? :D:p

It's good to know that José is not against dropping anyone if they continue with below par performances (not just particularly Rooney). Who is our Vice Captain? Is it still Carrick?

Remember reading a few weeks ago it was Ibrahimovic now

• Advertisement

Deal signed with Columbia Sportswear:

Manchester_United_Players_Wearing_Columbia_Collection.jpg?download=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement