Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

zerks wrote: »
    Lets' start another Rooney discussion

TnQRX6v.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Remember reading a few weeks ago it was Ibrahimovic now

Third captain after Rooney and Carrick supposedly.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/premierleague/1557614/zlatan-ibrahimovic-made-a-vice-captain-of-manchester-united-by-manager-jose-mourinho/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Deal signed with Columbia Sportswear:

Manchester_United_Players_Wearing_Columbia_Collection.jpg?download=1

It looks like De Gea and Fellaini's heads are photoshopped in :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fellaini looks like something out of Alaska the final frontier or bush families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It looks like De Gea and Fellaini's heads are photoshopped in :eek::D

It probably is unless the picture was...

(1) taken an age ago - before the summer started
    or
    (2)Fellaini dyed his hair again

• Advertisement

It probably is unless the picture was...

(1) taken an age ago - before the summer started
    or
    (2)Fellaini dyed his hair again

Oh I didn't even notice Fellaini's hair :o

Good point.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »
    TnQRX6v.gif

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That sponsorship deal was originally announced in january so the promo shots were probably taken then.

https://www.columbia.com/About-Us_Press-Center-Release_2016_01_22.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

have you been hacked by deaddonkey?? :D:p

It's good to know that José is not against dropping anyone if they continue with below par performances (not just particularly Rooney). Who is our Vice Captain? Is it still Carrick?

I don't think I've ever described Rooney as excellent here. I was hoping you'd leave a strongly worded post in response to zerks for potentially igniting another Rooney debate but clearly that's only reserved for me for merely contributing to a debate that's already in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don't think I've ever described Rooney as excellent here. I was hoping you'd leave a strongly worded post in response to zerks for potentially igniting another Rooney debate but clearly that's only reserved for me for merely contributing to a debate that's already in progress.

She was taking the piss with ya. Relax ffs.

Here you go help yourself

1191474_set.jpg

She was taking the piss with ya. Relax ffs.

EXACTLY.. :)

Cool your jets man, I was having a JOKE :rolleyes: Sorry if this is difficult to convey to you over the internet, I thought the grinning face smiley would have given it away. It's the same way that bangkok is joked about for his hatred of Fellani.

Anyway the joke is justified/explained, sorry for any offense caused. I don't want to discuss Rooney any further.

EXACTLY.. :)

Cool your jets man, I was having a JOKE :rolleyes: Sorry if this is difficult to convey to you over the internet, I thought the grinning face smiley would have given it away. It's the same way that bangkok is joked about for his hatred of Fellani.

Anyway the joke is justified/explained, sorry for any offense caused. I don't want to discuss Rooney any further.

I get the joke. The other post I was referring to wasn't a joke though.

I get the joke. The other post I was referring to wasn't a joke though.

She only made one post that mentioned you?

jayo26 wrote: »
    She only made one post that mentioned you?

I was referring to a post written a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hey deaddonkey. Rooney is sh*te!!!

Hey deaddonkey. Rooney is sh*te!!!

He's hardly setting the world alight, but he's making valuable contributions to the team. Which is more than what can be said for 1 or 2 others in the starting 11.

I was referring to a post written a few weeks ago.

You for real? Weeks ago?

You for real? Weeks ago?

Well he is still judging rooney on years ago so weeks isnt a stretch :P

• Advertisement

You for real? Weeks ago?

Yeah I'm for real. It was 2 weeks ago.

Well he is still judging rooney on years ago so weeks isnt a stretch :P

Any evidence for this?

Any evidence for this?

Hang on give me a few minutes to pull out my case file...

Yeah I'm for real. It was 2 weeks ago.

Seriously???? You can't get over a post I made about Rooney 2 weeks ago?! Were you seething about it and going to wait until I posted something again to bring it back up? I can definitely acknowledge that my previous post to you about Rooney was not joking, I was deadly serious and made valid points an expressed MY opinion. Many people discussed Rooney with you at the time yet you feel the need to just bring up what I had said.

Let's not have the Rooney debate again, I made a joke today, I have apologised (whether I needed to or not) and I have tried to be polite about it but at this stage, get over it. I'm not discussing it any more, you just keep jumping in with both feet anytime Rooney is mentioned at all. I'm done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Let's not have the Rooney debate again, I made a joke today, I have apologised (whether I needed to or not) and I have tried to be polite about it but at this stage, get over it. I'm not discussing it any more, you just keep jumping in with both feet anytime Rooney is mentioned at all. I'm done with it.

Some one made CookieDough apologies...
    That's it some one is getting a deserved ass kicking...
    no one makes CookieDough apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lads has Shinji signed for Stoke????

Just saw it on Facebook.

Seriously???? You can't get over a post I made about Rooney 2 weeks ago?! Were you seething about it and going to wait until I posted something again to bring it back up? I can definitely acknowledge that my previous post to you about Rooney was not joking, I was deadly serious and made valid points an expressed MY opinion. Many people discussed Rooney with you at the time yet you feel the need to just bring up what I had said.

Ironic. Many people were discussing Rooney 2 weeks ago as well yet you felt the need to only address me with your post essentially telling me to stop contributing to a discussion that was already on going.
    Let's not have the Rooney debate again

Again, why are you saying this to me? I never start the Rooney debates and even if I did, there's nothing wrong with it.

you just keep jumping in with both feet anytime Rooney is mentioned at all. I'm done with it.

I say what I have to say about Rooney the same way other posters say what they have to say. Just because my opinion differs from yours and the general agenda of this thread doesn't mean I'm jumping in with both feet. And again, even if I was, there's nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just saw it on Facebook.

I see no evidence of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just saw it on Facebook.

A photo shopped picture of that does the rounds every window. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just saw it on Facebook.

Nah just benchwarmers trying to be funny

Really think it will be a quiet day for us. Maybe a loan deal or that but I don't really expect any big departures or additions.

Think we have done well this window in getting what we wanted and needed early on and now can just sit back. Obviously if someone Mourinho really wants becomes available something can change but I don't really expect much myself and am quite content with that.

We're going to have some amount of football after the break and can't wait for it. Squad rotation and plenty of matches, just what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The people saying Mkhitaryan played RW for Dortmund are wrong. He was cutting inside all the time. He is naturally a 10. He played like a 10 from wide, not a winger and he was in a team who are always super-humanly fit, so they don't need to concern themselves with rational team shape as much as United do. Sometimes you can use one of those types of players in the wider positions, sometimes they don't work. Mitch saying he'd rather we sign a quality RW makes sense, it would give more options. We've only really got one in the squad at the moment - Lingard - and he's still developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That jacket De Gea has on him in the promo picture is £400 in the Mega store. I presume they give you the solid gold bar that goes with it at the checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

We have won the European Super Cup and the first two games in La Liga. We have a spectacular squad and it is impossible to improve

3716B01C00000578-3734056-David_de_Gea_welcomed_back_100m_man_Paul_Pogba_left_with_this_In-m-40_1470876596664.jpg

4575b403-d76d-47f6-9849-9f8db8e48401.jpg

Ironic. Many people were discussing Rooney 2 weeks ago as well yet you felt the need to only address me with your post essentially telling me to stop contributing to a discussion that was already on going.

Yep many people were discussing him but you were unable to see any flaw with him IMO (note this is the important part in MY opinion). You can't seem to get over the fact that I directed a post to you but that's not my problem. As you remember my post so vividly you will recall that I said everyone is entitled to their opinion so you can say what you want.
    Again, why are you saying this to me? I never start the Rooney debates and even if I did, there's nothing wrong with it.

Let's = let us (us being you and me) I don't want to debate Rooney with you so let it go. I don't want to harp back to points I made to you the other week, I've moved on, so has the thread. I made a throwaway joke today as Rooney was brought up again by others also jokingly

I say what I have to say about Rooney the same way other posters say what they have to say. Just because my opinion differs from yours and the general agenda of this thread doesn't mean I'm jumping in with both feet. And again, even if I was, there's nothing wrong with it.

You can talk about whatever you want, hence the discussion element of this board. I couldn't care less. Also you're a bit hypocritical complaining that I'm singling you out when you're doing just that to me now.

Move on, I have. I have no interest in raking up a discussion from 2 weeks ago. You're going on as if I'm on a personal crusade against you.

• Advertisement

Flights, hotel, match tickets sorted. Roll on September 24th and the Leicester game.

The last time I was over, Ferguson was managing and Nani was scoring.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The people saying Mkhitaryan played RW for Dortmund are wrong. He was cutting inside all the time. He is naturally a 10. He played like a 10 from wide, not a winger and he was in a team who are always super-humanly fit, so they don't need to concern themselves with rational team shape as much as United do. Sometimes you can use one of those types of players in the wider positions, sometimes they don't work. Mitch saying he'd rather we sign a quality RW makes sense, it would give more options. We've only really got one in the squad at the moment - Lingard - and he's still developing.

While I agree with the assessment about how Mkhitaryan would move in from the wide sides isn't that exactly how Mourinho has set up this formation and so Mkhitaryan would be a perfect fit for the position in our squad? It is more of a AMR position than a RW.

We have seen with the way Mata has been allowed freedom in that role but I think most would agree that it suits Mkhitaryan more.

Having a quality right winger would be nice but based on our current formations and game plan it isn't something exactly needed. We aren't really playing formations with traditional left and right wingers and unless that is some plan Mourinho has for later down the line there is no immediate rush for one.

As you remember my post so vividly you will recall that I said everyone is entitled to their opinion so you can say what you want.

Saying that was just in contradiction to your behaviour. "Everybody can say what they want" but you still complained to deaddonkey about the fact he was debating Rooney. You haven't complained about any of the people carrying on the debate who share a similar opinion to you on Rooney.

If you act like that you should expect deaddonkey to get on your case about it. Why should it matter that it was two weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Juan Mata standing on at least four yellow pages there.

Glazers Out!

Well, at least that's the boys sorted for any Arctic expeditions they have looming.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    While I agree with the assessment about how Mkhitaryan would move in from the wide sides isn't that exactly how Mourinho has set up this formation and so Mkhitaryan would be a perfect fit for the position in our squad? It is more of a AMR position than a RW.

We have seen with the way Mata has been allowed freedom in that role but I think most would agree that it suits Mkhitaryan more.

Having a quality right winger would be nice but based on our current formations and game plan it isn't something exactly needed. We aren't really playing formations with traditional left and right wingers and unless that is some plan Mourinho has for later down the line there is no immediate rush for one.

Martial wants to run towards goal with the ball, that's what he does best from wide. He also isn't particularly suited (because he's such a big and strong dude, therefore tires more easily) to getting up and down to alternate helping his fullback and offering a threat in behind.
    Mata/Rooney aren't fast at 10.
    Ibra isn't fast at CF.

So that's three of the four forward players who are more concerned about going central and who, for different reasons, don't offer such a great threat in behind to stretch opposition defences with pace.

Mkhitaryan isn't fast like a winger, he's fast when he's dribbling on the ball, but outright athleticism to get up and down the pitch and still consistently threaten behind the opposition back four, he doesn't have. He also likes to come central with/for the ball.

If that is the formation and personnel we are going for, then I think there are potential weaknesses there that we can already see.

When I said we only have one quality winger (Lingard, who is still developing), I forgot that Rashford might be an option too. That's good. More games for Lingard and Rashford sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

nullzero wrote: »
    Juan Mata standing on at least four yellow pages there.

Ha, just copped that now.

juan-mata-david-de-gea-manchester-united_3241101.jpg

Pro. F wrote: »
    Martial wants to run towards goal with the ball, that's what he does best from wide. He also isn't particularly suited (because he's such a big and strong dude, therefore tires more easily) to getting up and down to alternate helping his fullback and offering a threat in behind.
    Mata/Rooney aren't fast at 10.
    Ibra isn't fast at CF.

So that's three of the four forward players who are more concerned about going central and who, for different reasons, don't offer such a great threat in behind to stretch opposition defences with pace.

Mkhitaryan isn't fast like a winger, he's fast when he's dribbling on the ball, but outright athleticism to get up and down the pitch and still consistently threaten behind the opposition back four, he doesn't have. He also likes to come central with/for the ball.

If that is the formation and personnel we are going for, then I think there are potential weaknesses there that we can already see.

When I said we only have one quality winger (Lingard, who is still developing), I forgot that Rashford might be an option too. That's good. More games for Lingard and Rashford sounds good to me.

Well you can look at all the individuals and positions if you wish but my points still is that in the current formation and apparent style being deployed the position on the right that Mkhitaryan would be playing would actually suit him.

We are very much lining up with an attacking midfield line in between our CF and sitting midfield. Even with Dortmund Mkhitaryan would switch between AML, AMC and AMR quite a bit. With the position that Mata has been playing so far on the right it is quite clear that it is not a traditional winger position rather the attacking midfield on the right, where he has freedom to roam into a central position leaving space for the fullbacks to push forward and attack, something Mourinho seems to have used in previous clubs. However Mkhitaryan would attempt to dribble past people more than Mata in this position.

Discussions can be had about what we feel about the current formation and style and possible weaknesses but as it stands I don't see how people can say the right side of the attacking midfield wouldn't suit Mkhitaryan , considering his experience there.

I agree with people saying Mkhitaryan isn't a natural winger but that's the thing, our current formation is not setup in a way that requires as traditional winger.

I also agree that we do have a lot of players who prefer to play with the ball in their feet and come central, something you would imagine Mourinho has setup for, hopefully with Shaw and Valencia exploiting the space down the sides it will work out but time will tell.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to Rashford and Lingard getting games this year, along with a lot of others too, with Europa and the Cup there will be many chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

deaddonkeys little dig today was justified considering the lecture he was given two weeks ago. He's dead right in his assessment that he again hasn't started the Rooney bashing/defending debate but again gets all the hate for it.

It was just a joke of course but its a joke at his expense so he's allowed to not find it funny if he wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Kind of wish we were getting linked with someone just so I could experience the thrilled of deadline day properly. :P

Just for you :D

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/771045303311069185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Between Podcasts, Twitter and what I read online, this is the only place I've seen anybody championing Rooney bar a few of his media buddies.

What's it like on Reddit, Redcafe etc?

GSPfan wrote: »
    deaddonkeys little dig today was justified considering the lecture he was given two weeks ago. He's dead right in his assessment that he again hasn't started the Rooney bashing/defending debate but again gets all the hate for it.

It was just a joke of course but its a joke at his expense so he's allowed to not find it funny if he wishes.

It was hardly a lecture FFS!! So I can't express my opinion unless I refer to everyone who holds a different opinion to me? He's hardly getting hate, don't be so over dramatic!!

He used my joke as an excuse to bring something I said 2. weeks ago back up.

I had already apologised for the joke also. I don't see people getting this bent out of shape when others joke about Bangkoks Fellaini hatred (I'm using Bangkok as an example before anyone rushes in to accuse me of picking on him and take offence)

I also don't know where this opinion that I'm some kind of dictator in this thread

Also I haven't replied to Pro F yet as it's difficult to wrote long replies on phone and I'm busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Are people really championing him though? Defending him against irrational criticism but hardly championing him. Fair play to the two lads defending him when it's easier to just go with the flow.

On another topic....

Only just turned on the deadline day stuff now and i'm enjoying the lower key approach they seem to have adapted. Although Jim Whites annoying voice will turn it all Hollywood later on.

Pogba after signing for sparta Rotterdam

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyJS9mj55z/

Couldn't resist an bangkok type breaking news post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Between Podcasts, Twitter and what I read online, this is the only place I've seen anybody championing Rooney bar a few of his media buddies.

What's it like on Reddit, Redcafe etc?

Here was the only place I seen support over the last few seasons for fellaini as well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement