Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rather he didn't play for the fear of him making it worse

He seemed to take a heavy knock on the knees alright, id be in the same boat but can't seem Armenia leaving him out as he is their best player and captain

brinty wrote: »
    Anderson was fat....

Was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Anderson was fat....

Is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well first of all thanks for at last making the effort to back up what you said about me although I don't really know why you quoted some of the things you did. It would be more helpful if you outlined under each of the quotes what your problem with it was as some of them, such as the ones with Rashford at the end seem quite inoffensive to me.

I don't see any posts which are examples of excessive praise for Rooney and therefore examples of me being on the opposite end of the over the top Rooney criticism. I don't see any examples of me "going out my way to keep the Rooney thing going" since the Rooney thing is practically always going in here and I merely say my bit like everyone else. I don't see any examples of me making a mountain out of a mole hill which you also accuse me of. If anything, apart from a few admittedly "snarky" posts, they generally fall under the umbrella of context and perspective which is what I've always said about my Rooney posts. Bear in mind also that these posts, for the most part at least, are not made in isolation as it would appear that way in how you've presented them but that's unavoidable to be honest.

Still though, at least you replied with what I asked for, hopefully others will take a leaf out of your book in future.

Numerous posts of you mentioning Rooney sarcastically "it will be Rooneys fault" etc. Thats bringing up Rooney again when hes not even being discussed, yet you try to portray that all you are doing is reacting and replying to post about Rooney whereas it is you on those instances bringing Rooney into the discussions in a snarky sarcastic way, obviously looking to get a rise from other posters. You cant have it both ways.

The Rashford one was funny in the context of the last 3 quotes together(read from the bottom up, the order in which they were posted) You jump in to credit Rooney for a great assist firstly, then ask has anyone got a gif of the Rashford goal as you didnt actually see the game(you know, the goal that Rooney had the excellent assist for)! Then you dismiss someone for claiming that the assist was straight forward, not excellent as you claimed even though you didnt see it.

Now theres more than enough in those quotes without explanation to back up the points I made. I`m even pointing them out for you.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth on the Rooney debate. You are crying wolf at those you perceive as being over critical while heaping praise on Rooney even in games that you havent seen. Youve made plenty of snarky comments and have used some of those snarky comments to stir up the Rooney debate again.

You are being very hypocryical with your views on here and worse are falsely portraying yourself and others positions on here.

Its a plain as day to me and I presumed others to see. I tried to step away and leave it but of course we have the usual nonsense from you with
    Asked to back up your statements about me and you run away instead. Brilliant.

Good lad. But keep acting the victim here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

astradave wrote: »

I like to think the reason we did no business today was because Ed will be forever more keeping the phone ceremoniously off the hook on transfer deadline day in honour of what is arguably his best bit of business ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Someone mentioned a few posts back that Martial is playing worse than Rooney (he is) and not getting half the flack. Disagree. He is being savaged after games, but because the conversation goes...

"Martial was ****"
    "Yes, he was"

....as opposed to having people jump madly to his defence, and having 100 posts about him, it looks like he is getting off lighter. Because the defence of Rooney is so passionate, the debate goes back and forth, making it look like only he gets criticism. If Martial yielded the same level of vigorous defence from posters, he would probably be getting discussed far more. Because no one is defending HIS poor for, the discussion is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wasn't he meant to leave on a free this summer according to last year's transfer topic? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have to say I have had many joyfull moments a united fan but that is up there with one of my favorite moments ever that is not related to winning trophies.

And the meltdown in here the next day because united were the laughing stock and Ed couldn't even sell de gea and madrid had made fools of us again
    .......... well look at what we have now woooop.

• Advertisement

adox I called you Lazy earlier because you didn't go over his posts to get examples. I take it back and apologize.

However, you said you were leaving for a while.

Liar!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Someone mentioned a few posts back that Martial is playing worse than Rooney (he is) and not getting half the flack. Disagree. He is being savaged after games, but because the conversation goes...

"Martial was ****"
    "Yes, he was"

....as opposed to having people jump madly to his defence, and having 100 posts about him, it looks like he is getting off lighter. Because the defence of Rooney is so passionate, the debate goes back and forth, making it look like only he gets criticism. If Martial yielded the same level of vigorous defence from posters, he would probably be getting discussed far more. Because no one is defending HIS poor for, the discussion is limited.

Yeah but Rooney isn't playing shhite thats the point.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Have to say I have had many joyfull moments a united fan but that is up there with one of my favorite moments ever that is not related to winning trophies.

And the meltdown in here the next day because united were the laughing stock and Ed couldn't even sell de gea and madrid had made fools of us again
    .......... well look at what we have now woooop.

Some of the Gifs and pics from Redcafe that day were the highlight of the year :D

I think Vettels post a couple of pages back with the picture of DeGea and Pogba under the quote from Perez sums it up for me :D

Really happy with our business this year, so much that i went playing golf this afternoon instead of the usual watching and waiting to see if we would sign anyone

GSPfan wrote: »

opinionated.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Reckon we all just have a royal rumble

We could do it on a console but it would probably end up as an argument of which is better between Xbox one and Ps4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

We could do it on a console but it would probably end up as an argument of which is better between Xbox one and Ps4

PS4 is clearly superior :pac:

GSPfan wrote: »

bb2e6_4mime_attachment.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh wow, I know im quite late to the party but I just read Luiz is back at Chelsea

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Pc is better then both ;)

Lithium93_ wrote: »

101107-iimgurcom-eJIK.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Won't argue that... It's not called the master race without a reason...

bb2e6_4mime_attachment.gif

Thats nearly the spit of my dog, bit more jack russell in him though. and a lighter colour.. That gif is getting saved :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

We'd probably just end up arguing about when to hold it :P

Waynes up for it.

PqsykGu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Headshot wrote: »
    oh wow, I know im quite late to the party but I just read Luiz is back at Chelsea

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

you're still 2 days ahead of zerks don't worry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

stankratz wrote: »
    Flights, hotel, match tickets sorted. Roll on September 24th and the Leicester game.

The last time I was over, Ferguson was managing and Nani was scoring.

I'll be in Sam Platts before the game. I'll be the one drinking cans of Kronenberg.

you're still 2 days ahead of zerks don't worry :pac:

I hear United signed Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

zerks wrote: »
    I hear United signed Pogba from Le Havre.

:D:D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyKofXjlRO/
    I'll take one for the team....

I'll do my duty too and help out with Natalie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Good to finish the spending early. When it comes to deadline day, the transfer fee are pure madness. 30 Million for Sissoko and 35 Million for David Luiz? That's a lot of money.

Good to see Spurs getting ****ed in transfer market though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'll do my duty too and help out with Natalie.

Help out? That's no help at all when I'm trying to sleep.

No danger of me rolling out of bed I suppose, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You're all getting stunnered by me for the way some of you acted toward CookieDough
    And then she's gonna rko your asses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

You're all getting stunnered by me for the way some of you acted toward CookieDough
    And then she's gonna rko your asses

Right outta nowhere....

Then I could channel Brock Lesnar for some suplexes :D

You always lighten up this thread brinty. This made me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Right outta nowhere....

Then I could channel Brock Lesnar for some suplexes :D

You always lighten up this thread brinty. This made me laugh

Cookie Dough(ben and jerrys) are half price in Tesco at moment. Thats my weekend treat sorted:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seems mkhitaryan got injured last night - haven't read if it is a bad one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Cookie Dough(ben and jerrys) are half price in Tesco at moment. Thats my weekend treat sorted:pac:

Check the batch number as some have been recalled as there is potentially some small metal pieces in some tubs :eek:

seems mkhitaryan got injured last night - haven't read if it is a bad one or not.

He got a bad knock on the knees and got back up but seems he was taken off as a precaution for their qualifier the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,595 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just catching up with the thread now.
    Korat wrote: »
    He's not a Union shop steward, it matters to him if the club is wasting money on Schweinsteiger's wages because it could be better spent on a quality CB or RB.

I can guarantee you that Schweini's wages weren't the reason for not signing a CB or RB... of course that money could be better spent but there isn't a shortage of it. Think Jose would be annoyed if Basti was one of his own signings but as it stands its no skin off his nose.

Anyway. Great transfer window for Utd and these players are already having a positive impact because we got the deals done early (almost certainly the Pogba deal was done in reality long before it could be announced.)

3 games, 3 wins and the style of football looks so much better already. Choo choo.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Numerous posts of you mentioning Rooney sarcastically "it will be Rooneys fault" etc. Thats bringing up Rooney again when hes not even being discussed, yet you try to portray that all you are doing is reacting and replying to post about Rooney whereas it is you on those instances bringing Rooney into the discussions in a snarky sarcastic way, obviously looking to get a rise from other posters. You cant have it both ways.

Not true. Here are some of the comments written before I made my post with the "It's all about Rooney's woeful touches and passes though." line:

"Yep I can see that when it happens. He sometimes has a manky touch. He has some games where it happens too often. But I can also see all the good things he does. And overall, the good far outweighs the bad imo." - written about Rooney regarding his touch.

"If Rooney had misplaced as many simple passes or had as few shots as Ibra today he would be being slaughtered for it right now. But there's not been a single mention of those aspects of Ibra's game today. Shows the quality of analysis coming from Rooney's critics." - A post no less snarky, or true, than mine.

"Can you not see how Rooney actively slows down attacks at times? I really don't think he's a 10 at all. He's still got good instincts which is where the goal came from but his overall play is lacking and hurts United at tomes."

"He was terrific for rooneys goal."

"Do you think there is any link between Rooney's heavy involvement in the attacking play and that attacking play not being all that great?"

"I find it absolutely bizarre that some people think he was the worst player on the field!

"I'm sick of the Rooney debate at this point, I understand the criticism when he plays muck but he seems to get criticized no matter what happens.

Everyone else can enjoy the Rooney debate today but I'm off for a pint and to watch Pool Arsenal, roll on Friday, crucial to get a good start."

"Find it absolutely bizarre people thought Rooney played well today."

Here are some posts written before my post with the line "but that's ok because he isn't Rooney.":

"Rooney anonymous out there today. Bailly hasn't put a foot wrong and looks a real beast. Big fell has been defensively solid. Shaw a few shakey passes but glad to see him out there. Tony V looks a threat but we need more speed in our attacks"

"Rooney not at the races at all."

"Next game....

Drop Rooney for Pogba."

So you can see I'm not bringing him up out of nowhere and I'm certainly not "going out of my way" as you put it. I warned last night that my posts have the illusion of being made in isolation based on how you presented them in your post (which I admitted was unavoidable) however they were not made in isolation. As always my "sarcasm" was for perspective, and to highlight the double standards of the posters here whereby a poor Rooney touch is met by over the top criticism whilst equally bad if not worse mistakes made by more popular players warrant no attention at all. Every forward player will make mistakes a number of times in a game, yet only Rooney's ones are highlighted and extremely criticised. That was essentially my point in a roundabout sarcastic way. I don't see how my "snarky" or sarcastic posts warrant the lecture I received from cookie_dough though.
    The Rashford one was funny in the context of the last 3 quotes together(read from the bottom up, the order in which they were posted) You jump in to credit Rooney for a great assist firstly, then ask has anyone got a gif of the Rashford goal as you didnt actually see the game(you know, the goal that Rooney had the excellent assist for)! Then you dismiss someone for claiming that the assist was straight forward, not excellent as you claimed even though you didnt see it.

I already explained that I don't have BT Sport and my internet was slow so I couldn't see the game. I was reading live updates on the Skysports as well as following Boards and Twitter and the general consensus was the assist was very good, which it was, if not excellent. Therefore my assessment was correct. I believe I "dismissed" someone , after I had seen the goal and assist, who put Rooney's assist down to "a moment of stupidity by el Mohammedy" rather than any ability on Rooney's part. Again, it goes with the agenda in this thread. Over the top criticism for a poor touch, no credit whatsoever for an excellent match winning assist. I believe if the roles were reversed and it was Rashford or Mkhitaryan who set up the winner against Hull for Rooney then it would have received more praise.
    Now theres more than enough in those quotes without explanation to back up the points I made. I`m even pointing them out for you.

You didn't point them out to me you just made a list of some of my posts and left it at that. If I recall correctly you accused me of:

- Being on the opposite end of the over the top Rooney criticism, suggesting I'm over the top with my praise. There is absolutely no evidence of this.
    - Snarky comments (which I admit some would be considered snarky, hardly uncalled for considering the standards of some posts here and in particular some posts directed at me)
    - Going out of my way to keep the Rooney thing going. As pointed out above, the Rooney thing is going anyway and those posts are hardly evidence of me "going out of my way".
    - Making a mountain out of a mole hill on more than one occasion. No evidence of this.
    You are talking out of both sides of your mouth on the Rooney debate. You are crying wolf at those you perceive as being over critical while heaping praise on Rooney even in games that you havent seen.

Games, as in plural. Tell me, what other United games have I not seen? And in which of those games did I heap over the top praise on Rooney?

Again, saying his assist was excellent isn't over the top praise at all in the same way "second touch is a tackle" and "pub player" are over the top criticism. Here is the update from Skysports which I read that formed my opinion on Rooney's assist before seeing it:

"GOAL! HULL 0-1 MAN UTD (Rashford, 90+2)

Rashford taps home and United may have just won it at the death! Fantastic play from Rooney in the build-up as he beats Elmohamady on the byline before squaring for Rashford to finish from close range."

And after seeing it I stand by my "excellent" description.

Youve made plenty of snarky comments and have used some of those snarky comments to stir up the Rooney debate again.

Not true, see above.
    You are being very hypocryical with your views on here and worse are falsely portraying yourself and others positions on here.

I'm remaining quite steadfast in my views on here and if anything it is me that is having his position falsely portrayed. For example, you've now accused me of heaping praise on Rooney based on a number of games that I haven't seen. Simply not true. I can count on one hand the number of United games I have not seen in the last year and a half, and me calling what was an excellent assist excellent based on a description of it with the term "fantastic play" is certainly not over the top praise and is a drop in the ocean compared to the weekly if not daily criticism Rooney receives here. Also, I'm still waiting for cookie_dough to provide evidence of being over the top and extreme with my Rooney praise.

The last quote from me about failing to back up your statements is hardly nonsense. You joined an argument that you weren't involved in and made a number of accusations and then wrote that you couldn't be bothered providing proof for them. Why wouldn't I highlight that as cowardly? But still, you did make a good effort in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really think you guys need to bring this to PM at this stage. You aren't even debating Rooney, just debating how you are debating!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I really think you guys need to bring this to PM at this stage. You aren't even debating Rooney, just debating how you are debating!

I'm just highlighting his lies, I'm entitled to defend myself.

• 3630408.jpg
    I love this meme

I hate international breaks! Another week and a half of this stuff :pac: might take a breather for a while especially with the transfer window closed now

So someone who didn't even watch the game is giving a positive analysis of Rooney's performance. All based on one pass in the last minute.Hmmm......

At least when ProF argues with you,he has watched the game.

So someone who didn't even watch the game is giving a positive analysis of Rooney's performance. All based on one pass in the last minute.Hmmm......

At least when ProF argues with you,he has watched the game.

Again, lies. I gave a positive analysis of Rooney's assist, not his performance, based on positive analysis that I had already read. How is that so difficult for people to understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why argue that Rooney shouldn't be playing when a three time Premier league winning manager, three time Premier league manager of the year, two time Champion's league winner and a World Coach of the year winner is the one picking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Can we not go back to talking about football in this format

7IL5DKG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

tumblr_lyqip94klg1qgfn58o1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see if Schweinsteiger plays at all for the reserve side now that the window is shut - none of the fringe first team players have been used up to this point, but I suppose that might change now. James Weir leaving also opens up a spot in the reserves starting 11.

At the very least if he plays for the reserves there is a chance of him being a very positive influence on the young players in the side - should he chose to act as a mentor to them.

Because it is entirely a circular argument. You looked at the assist as it was evidence to back up your theory, whilst ignoring all the rest of the game. You then took someonelses' opinion as fact, without stating that your opinion on the overall was based on nothing more than someone you already agreed with but without considering any of the other opinions.

What theory? I read from a number of people online that Rooney's assist was very good, excellent and fantastic so I assumed it probably was and described it in a similar manner. Again, I made no remark about his performance. Only the assist.

If you backing for Rooney is based on one ten second clip and one opinion piece then you have no objective basis for you opinion.

My backing for Rooney is based on him consistently scoring or assisting goals in games that United are winning that stretch back as far as last season. Not once did I remark on Rooney's overall performance in the Hull match that I didn't see. I described his assist, and only his assist, as excellent which as I said above, was not inconsistent with what I was reading on a number of websites. Having seen the assist, i stand by my "excellent" description.

Now all of that would be fine if you acknowledged that in the bits you had seen Rooney did well, but it is entirely reasonable that the rest of the game could have been pants.

I agree, that's why I didn't comment on his performance.
    That is not the position you are taking. You are offering the opinion that based on this one event all arguments about Rooney being poor are wrong.

No, my argument is he continued doing what he's supposed to be doing against Hull by either scoring goals or setting them up for others. Therefore as long he keeps doing that and United keep winning he should remain in the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement