Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The 25 man squad has been submitted to the FA. Schweinsteiger is included. https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136

Manchester United

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)
    Bailly, Eric Bertrand
    Blind, Daley
    *Carrick, Michael
    Darmian, Matteo
    De Gea Quintana, David
    Depay, Memphis
    El-Fitouri, Sadik
    Fellaini-Bakkioui, Marouane
    Herrera Aguera, Ander
    Ibrahimovic, Zlatan
    *Johnstone, Samuel Luke
    *Jones, Philip Anthony
    *Lingard, Jesse Ellis
    Mata Garcia, Juan Manuel
    Mkhitaryan, Henrikh
    *Pogba, Paul Labile
    Rojo, Faustino Marcos Alberto
    Romero, Sergio German
    *Rooney, Wayne Mark
    *Schneiderlin, Morgan
    Schweinsteiger, Bastian
    *Smalling, Christopher
    Valencia Mosquera, Luis Antonio
    *Young, Ashley Simon

Martial, Shaw, Fosu-Mensah and Rashford are included in the U21 list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Does it matter if he meant it? Dangerous play is dangerous play whether you meant it or not I would have thought.

It was Violent Conduct he was charged with.

https://twitter.com/FA/status/770656180582703104
    VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible
    Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct#1PXAbCEtfE8WxVmt.99

So by both definitions he's guilty. Attempting to use excessive force regardless of contact, and deliberately striking on the head or face.

CrSaf4yWEAENZPW.png

Pogba sets up Martial for France 1 - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Pogba sets up Martial for France 1 - 0

Do his confidnece the world of good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So Pogba is counted as Homegrown, deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba talks
    "I came back because I wanted to and United showed that they wanted me back.

We have a good team who wants to win they league again with a big manager, top players and a new team.

My ambition is always to be No.1, always be the best.

To be the best is to win the league - that is the objective of everyone. That's what we want to do.

We want to go back to the Champions League because I know that's where we belong.

Fellow signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic will have a huge say in whether United achieve that.

Pogba has already forged a bond with the veteran Swedish striker, adding: "Zlatan is like the big brother of everyone I would say - he always makes jokes makes everyone relax and on the pitch he is a winner.

He will really help the team."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That fixture list makes me happy. Get past City, and we can beat every other team on the list...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That fixture list makes me happy. Get past City, and we can beat every other team on the list...

It's a strange looking month, it really is. 3 big league games, all winnable and all potential problems. Personally I think we'll win the three of them or draw with City and win the other two.

League cup game should be handy enough, nice to play on Wednesday I suppose

Who knows about the two EL games. Should win them both, no real idea of the standard of either of these now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    So Pogba is counted as Homegrown, deadly!

Said that a few weeks ago, if however he signed for say city or Chelsea he wouldn't have counted as homegrown

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    CrSaf4yWEAENZPW.png

1st team, 2nd team, first team, 2nd team, 1st team 2nd team.

Squad will be fully up to speed then

Schweinsteiger, right about now...

hdJOhYo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jayo26 wrote: »
    Pogba talks

Do you think he came to back because of a love for Utd? I want to believe it but, the way football has gone these days, I just can't. Not that it matters a jot as long as he's producing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Do you think he came to back because of a love for Utd? I want to believe it but, the way football has gone these days, I just can't. Not that it matters a jot as long as he's producing.

I actually think he does lvoe the club, dont get me wrong the money was definately a factor, but he was at the club during a big point of his life when most teens begin to find themselves, he also has loads of mates and came over a few times while he was gone

Another assist by Pogba.. the skills are on show

Edit: Jaysus that's some terrible goalkeeping

Players loving the club don't bother me if they do or don't I posted it because he is hungry and seems a good team spirit.

Very few of our squad are probably even united fans them days are gone but we do want hungry players I also do believe he is genuinely happy he came back and wants to be with united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

bangkok wrote: »
    Said that a few weeks ago, if however he signed for say city or Chelsea he wouldn't have counted as homegrown

Course he would, the same way Schneiderlin, Young and Carrick count as home grown players. As long as you spend three years between the ages of 16 and 21 in England you count as homegrown.

Course he would, the same way Schneiderlin, Young and Carrick count as home grown players. As long as you spend three years between the ages of 16 and 21 in England you count as homegrown.

Pogba was 3 months short of 3 years

Pogba was 3 months short of 3 years

So what homegrown rule are you referencing? Didn't know there was 2? Genuinely interested. You got a link to anything explaining it? Everything I have read, including the official rules, makes it look like he wouldn't qualify so I was surprised to see that he does. I thought we might have appealed to have him added as HG as the deal from LeHarve took months to finalise so even though he was with us in the July he wasn't officially confirmed till September/October I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's 3 full seasons afaik. What constitutes a full season is the sticking point I guess. About 3 quarters of a season probably counts.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    So what homegrown rule are you referencing? Didn't know there was 2? Genuinely interested. You got a link to anything explaining it? Everything I have read, including the official rules, makes it look like he wouldn't qualify so I was surprised to see that he does. I thought we might have appealed to have him added as HG as the deal from LeHarve took months to finalise so even though he was with us in the July he wasn't officially confirmed till September/October I think

To be honest I don't know the rule, I asked my brother, he said if pogba resigned with us he would be considered homegrown but if he signed for another premier league club he wouldn't have been considered homegrown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its 36 months or three full seasons.

Pogba signed for United by August 09 and left July 12. There was a delay in clearance. It looks like he meets the three full seasons and possibly36 month requirements if credit was allowed for the time his previous club forced the FA to hold up his registration.

Edit: added August link and word possibly before July

To be honest I don't know the rule, I asked my brother, he said if pogba resigned with us he would be considered homegrown but if he signed for another premier league club he wouldn't have been considered homegrown

Your classic ;) blame your brother ;)

Any physiotherapists out there looking for a job at carrington...

http://www.candidatemanager.net/manutd/jobs.html

Fair enough, I really don't think your brother is correct in this instance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City appealing the charge as they won't need him at home to Bournemouth anyway.

There probably isn't much to choose between the two Manchester squads, it'll be a battle of the minds this season and 3 points will give us an advantage even at this early stage

Will be interesting to see how Jose approaches the game, our first real test under him.

Any physiotherapists out there looking for a job at carrington...

http://www.candidatemanager.net/manutd/jobs.html

Haha I'd love to make up a cv for the eva carinero girl and send it in and give jose as a character reference.

Haha I'd love to make up a cv for the eva carinero girl and send it in and give jose as a character reference.

Ah go on. Ya will ya will ya will

Off topic but Neymar and Gabriel Jesus back playing for Brazilian squad tonight after just over two weeks of playing in the Olympics... the English press have some cheap trying to blame fatigue on premier league players.

Jesus looks a quality player the others made a decent signing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Off topic but Neymar and Gabriel Jesus back playing for Brazilian squad tonight after just over two weeks of playing in the Olympics... the English press have some cheap trying to blame fatigue on premier league players.

Jesus looks a quality player the others made a decent signing there.

Was just gonna say that 2 good goals he looks like a real handful

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Was just gonna say that 2 good goals he looks like a real handful

Yep very fast and nice finish for his first goal. I missed his second I turned it off lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Barcelona are crying about the Premier League's spending power. Boohoo.
    BARCELONA -- Barcelona are concerned that the Premier League's spending power is leaving the rest of Europe behind and have suggested UEFA's financial fair play (FFP) regulations should be adapted to account for the influx of money into English football.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/2941939/barcelona-concerned-by-premier-league-cash-albert-soler

Its unreal two of the most corrupt clubs in world football wanting to change financial fair play. They can't even decide up the money in their own league properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

They can f*ck off tbh. Before this window the top 5 most expensive signings in the history of world football were all in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully fifa take heed and utd won't mind 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Barca have spent 340 million in the last 3 seasons and will more than likely have to spend an absurd amount as the remnants of the golden generation finish up in the next 3 or 4 years too.

And they want stricter rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The sour grapes coming from Barcelona..

Barca have spent 340 million in the last 3 seasons and will more than likely have to spend an absurd amount as the remnants of the golden generation finish up in the next 3 or 4 years too.

And they want stricter rules?

Obviously there is no tax accounted for in that figure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Or you know maybe if Barca and Real shared out their TV money with the league a few more of the league's other sides would be able to strengthen and then maybe in turn get them a bigger TV deal.

It's hardly surprising people aren't that interested in watching them steamroller teams every week.

Barca and Real have to be the 2 biggest spoiled brat football clubs going. Their fans and their club officials have a real sense of entitlement that comes across as very childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Barca and Real are gonna hate this:

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/771384450605314048

United to go for Griezmann as Rooney's replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

zerks wrote: »
    Barca and Real are gonna hate this:

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/771384450605314048

United to go for Griezmann as Rooney's replacement.

My thoughts are that if Griezmann keeps performing as he has over the past couple of seasons that he would be the next marquee signing for next summer.

Sure a season later, ya never know who the next big stars are. Last season unearthed a few in the Premier League such as Kante, Mahrez and Vardy from the current champs with Payet sparkling also. Will be interesting to see which if any of those have stinkers this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It seems now that United want one "look how big our willy is" signing every summer now, and Griezmann looks the very obvious next target. Plays anywhere up top so can replace both Rooney and Ibra long term (could form a trip with Rashford and Martial), big name with loads of club and international experience and a release clause so very little negotiations. €100m will be a lot but looking at the inflation this summer, it would be about right.

Schweinsteiger included in United PL squad .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

United squad: Eric Bailly, Daley Blind, Michael Carrick, Matteo Darmian, David De Gea, Memphis Depay, Sadik El-Fitouri, Marouane Fellaini, Ander Herrera, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sam Johnstone, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Paul Pogba, Marcos Rojo, Sergio Romero, Wayne Rooney, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Chris Smalling, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young.

No point leaving Basti out when you have space for him with all the youth that exited the club in the past 7 days.

Is Sadik el-fitouri any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure this is mentioned, Pogba is officially counted as Home Grown player.

Kankan14 wrote: »

He is the guy that we signed from Salford that city released. He has been doing well in the under 21s past couple seasons also. He is a right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kankan14 wrote: »
    United squad: Eric Bailly, Daley Blind, Michael Carrick, Matteo Darmian, David De Gea, Memphis Depay, Sadik El-Fitouri, Marouane Fellaini, Ander Herrera, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sam Johnstone, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Paul Pogba, Marcos Rojo, Sergio Romero, Wayne Rooney, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Chris Smalling, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young.

No point leaving Basti out when you have space for him with all the youth that exited the club in the past 7 days.

No, El-Fitouri isn't a good player.

United are not allowed to not name Schweinsteiger or El-FItouri in the squad.

All senior players have to be named in the squad unless you have too many players to name them all.

Schweinsteiger being in the squad means zero. Its just the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

All senior players have to be named in the squad unless you have too many players to name them all.

You can leave any senior player even if there are slots. ManUtd named them as we had free slots and there are few players who can play without registering them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You can leave any senior player even if there are slots. ManUtd named them as we had free slots and there are few players who can play without registering them.

No - you can't.

You can't have a player eligible to the registered, a free spot - and not register them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Isn't line two a double negative and contradicting line three?

Also we don't name martial, rashford & TFM because of age yes? What is the cut off age?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement