Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Shaw has withdrawn from the England squad after being rested this morning, apparently.

I read something earlier that they were just giving him a rest because he had played so much after coming back from injury. Hopefully there is nothing wrong because he had been faultless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose is at work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

These poxy september internationals are the most pointless things ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Shaw has withdrawn from the England squad after being rested this morning, apparently.

Shaw possibly prioritizing club over country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

If they were friendlies I'd agree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was this posted?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/03/no-matter-how-big-man-utd-continue-to-grow-james-w-gibsons-legac/
    They call James W Gibson the man who saved Manchester United and yet when you look closely at what he accomplished at the club which would become a modern-day behemoth, even that status sells short the great Edwardian entrepreneur.

Gibson did not just rescue United from bankruptcy with a loan never repaid. He persuaded disenchanted supporters in the 1930s to come back. He established the club’s first youth team. He was fundamental to the building of Old Trafford train station that allowed supporters to travel from the city to matches. He acquired United’s first training ground. He rebuilt the stadium after it was bombed in the Second World War. He appointed Sir Matt Busby.

Click on the link for more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe I'm a little inebriated and it is skewing my opinion but as much as I am a Man United fan I adore international football and I have never in my life understood when people complain about the international break.

I'm aware players may get injured but in my eyes international competitions such as the World Cup are the most prestigious football honours there is.

I cannot grasp the concept that international football is "pointless" and it isn't just because you have said it, many people call it this which I don't understand.

My earliest memory of supporting Man United was when I was the age of 5 years old. I had a calendar where you had to fill in all the results for the club in the year and I'll always remember running up to my room to fill in the result of us beating Arsenal.

Even with this relative early memory for my football fandom I have always loved international football.

Every time the qualifiers come around or even tournaments I see people commenting about how much they hate these international breaks. I LOVE THEM.

I love football. And as much as I love Man United I love following my country in football, sure there is more downs than up but I love it nonetheless.

Now I know some people say they just don't like international football, fair enough but to me as much as I love Man United the top 5 greatest football moments of my life probably include more experiences of brilliant international performances than club, just because of the magnitude of it.

I don't understand how people who love football so much can hate internationals. It doesn't register in my brain.

I'm sorry if some of this is unreadable, I've spent around 20-25 mins proof reading to make sure there is no mistakes but I cannot gaurantee I have been successful, but I just never in my life understand fans of United or any other club who hate or dislike international breaks. Yes I love United but my god I love international football.

I love United (probably said this too much now) but with international football I love the romance involved, it's not much to do with wages or contacts, it's about pride and passion, something football should always be about and sometimes with clubs now a days is forgotten.

I don't know slag me if you wish, but am I really alone in this? I hear it with fans online forums, friends and in person where they winge about international football, while I sit silently enjoying and even looking forward to the international break.

Not anymore. No more silence. I love United, but my God I love International Football too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think it's more the awkward placing of this international break. The club season is only just back and teams are just starting to get a bit of steam up and then..... Break.

It also has the unfortunate timing of coming hot on the heels of the end of the window so for any new signings got late in the window means fans have to sit through a round of international games when they'd much rather see the new signing play.

These international fixtures should imo be moved to August and start the league season a week later. I too love international football and supporting Ireland but these September games are in the wrong place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a little inebriated and it is skewing my opinion but as much as I am a Man United fan I adore international football and I have never in my life understood when people complain about the international break.

I'm aware players may get injured but in my eyes international competitions such as the World Cup are the most prestigious football honours there is.

I cannot grasp the concept that international football is "pointless" and it isn't just because you have said it, many people call it this which I don't understand.

My earliest memory of supporting Man United was when I was the age of 5 years old. I had a calendar where you had to fill in all the results for the club in the year and I'll always remember running up to my room to fill in the result of us beating Arsenal.

Even with this relative early memory for my football fandom I have always loved international football.

Every time the qualifiers come around or even tournaments I see people commenting about how much they hate these international breaks. I LOVE THEM.

I love football. And as much as I love Man United I love following my country in football, sure there is more downs than up but I love it nonetheless.

Now I know some people say they just don't like international football, fair enough but to me as much as I love Man United the top 5 greatest football moments of my life probably include more experiences of brilliant international performances than club, just because of the magnitude of it.

I don't understand how people who love football so much can hate internationals. It doesn't register in my brain.

I'm sorry if some of this is unreadable, I've spent around 20-25 mins proof reading to make sure there is no mistakes but I cannot gaurantee I have been successful, but I just never in my life understand fans of United or any other club who hate or dislike international breaks. Yes I love United but my god I love international football.

I love United (probably said this too much now) but with international football I love the romance involved, it's not much to do with wages or contacts, it's about pride and passion, something football should always be about and sometimes with clubs now a days is forgotten.

I don't know slag me if you wish, but am I really alone in this? I hear it with fans online forums, friends and in person where they winge about international football, while I sit silently enjoying and even looking forward to the international break.

Not anymore. No more silence. I love United, but my God I love International Football too.

We've all been there. Home after a few sneaky drinks, and you decide to post a beautiful symphony on the aul boards. I can imagine you were typing like this;

tumblr_lx734sAQJ31qz7s6jo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

This is what near 100 million gets ya ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7VYGhDH8m/

A clown of a man ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Predictions for next weekend? Hoping for a sneaky 1.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

jayo26 wrote: »
    This is what near 100 million gets ya ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7VYGhDH8m/

A clown of a man ha.

I remember when Lingard was posting videos of himself dancing and fooling around like that and for some reason he got a bunch of hate as if you can't have fun off the pitch unless you perform on the pitch.

Pogba does the same and people compliment him on his child like character and unique style.

Weird how these things happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Still can't get over we have pogba back.....

Fair play to Jose and the main man ed, we look like a force again and the team is full of talent thank **** lvg is gone

I remember when Lingard was posting videos of himself dancing and fooling around like that and for some reason he got a bunch of hate as if you can't have fun off the pitch unless you perform on the pitch.

Pogba does the same and people compliment him on his child like character and unique style.

I think it's ridiculous to be honest but that's hid own business im sure they are jokes that we are not dapper enough to get.

The only time I have not liked what Jessie did was when he posted videos of himself pretending to be scared and shouting mammy when the bus was been attacked by westham fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The only time I recall lingard getting grief for social media stuff was when the team bus was getting stoned by west ham fans. He rightly (IMO) got stick for that because that should have been something to gee up the team and get the blood pumping for a massive game. Not feigning being afraid and making a laugh out of what could have been a serious situation.

What other instances were there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think it's more the awkward placing of this international break. The club season is only just back and teams are just starting to get a bit of steam up and then..... Break.

It also has the unfortunate timing of coming hot on the heels of the end of the window so for any new signings got late in the window means fans have to sit through a round of international games when they'd much rather see the new signing play.

These international fixtures should imo be moved to August and start the league season a week later. I too love international football and supporting Ireland but these September games are in the wrong place.

This is exactly it. I love international football 90% of the time. This is the one scheduled round of matches that always is more of an annoyance than something I look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ah lads come on.

Are we really going down the road of slating players for having a laugh dancing in the Instagram post or pretending to be scared as a bus was attacked? Jesus that's sad.

If the players are performing or not is how they should be judged.

Imagine the behaviour of besty or king Eric if social media was around when they were playing for us. The world continues to move forward and social media is a great outlet for our players to relate to us the fans

Or thinking about it imagine Keane at time of Haa land stuff he would be liable to post anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ah lads come on.

Are we really going down the road of slating players for having a laugh dancing in the Instagram post or pretending to be scared as a bus was attacked? Jesus that's sad.

If the players are performing or not is how they should be judged.

Imagine the behaviour of besty or king Eric if social media was around when they were playing for us. The world continues to move forward and social media is a great outlet for our players to relate to us the fans

Or thinking about it imagine Keane at time of Haa land stuff he would be liable to post anything

Just look back at what Giggs,Beckham,Scholes etc. got up to back in the day.If snapchat,twitter etc. were around back there,they would have all been sacked by the club or up in front of some kind of work tribunal.
    Young lads having the craic an posting it online is the norm,so long as they do their stuff on the pitch they can post as many vids of themselves dancing as they want.The selfie of Firmino dressed as some kind of transvestite is another matter altogether,no man should have to see that.

No one was slating them I posted a video of Pogba acting a clown it is a bit stupid looking to me but I'm not slating him.

Lingard was not slated for dancing even if his celebrations are stupid it was someone else that brought him up today saying he had been slated in the past but I don't ever remember Jessie been slated on here for dancing videos.

• Advertisement

Ivory Coast qualified for African cup so that means bailly is gone for a month or so in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ivory Coast qualified for African cup so that means bailly is gone for a month or so in January.

We'll have Smalling to come in.

zerks wrote: »
    We'll have Smalling to come in.

And Phil jones ;) what could go wrong ;)

Anyone see the u18s yesterday? After a poor start to the season losing the first two games that's back to back 5-1 wins. Looks like they are back on track now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seems Shaw should be okay for the Derby anyways

https://twitter.com/forevruntd/status/772306522449727488

Anyone see the u18s yesterday? After a poor start to the season losing the first two games that's back to back 5-1 wins. Looks like they are back on track now anyway.

Yeh it was a good win borough have a strong underage team so they shouldn't of been a pushover it was also our first game under the new manager so that could of had something to do with it.

Borthwick Jackson playing for the England Under 20s on BT Sport 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

What part of Ireland is the u18s new manager from? Kieran McKenna is his name, signed from Spurs..

rightyabe wrote: »
    What part of Ireland is the u18s new manager from? Kieran McKenna is his name, signed from Spurs..

Think I read he is from Fermanagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Predictions for next weekend? Hoping for a sneaky 1.0

Hope we batter them 6-0, 3 red cards for city, pep sent to the stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Hey a few of us are looking at heading over for a game in February. We're looking at the Watford and Bournemouth home games mainly. What are the chances these get moved to a Sunday? Game being on a Sunday would be a disaster for us work and college wise. I just know there will be some exam set for that Monday.

Here are the fixtures list for the 2 weekends. Any kind of guess at all would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any craic with Fellaini? Surely there's an update by now

Haven't seen any updates yet, I don't think he was on the bench for Belgium the other day.

#prayforRobertKK

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm sure this stones will be a good player but man does he make a lot of mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

#prayforRobertKK

;)

?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

#prayforRobertKK

;)
    ?

I think RobertKK is a Kilkenny man..

Keyword being think..

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm sure this stones will be a good player but man does he make a lot of mistakes.

Was thinking the same. He is pretty average to be fair but the English media know how to hype up an english player.

I guess the same can also be said for Smalling.

Was thinking the same. He is pretty average to be fair but the English media know how to hype up an english player.

Smalling is not average, his first season showed his potential, he floundered and struggled with injury for a while after that, he has been very good since he has stayed injury free.

He also cost a little bit less then Stones.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hey a few of us are looking at heading over for a game in February. We're looking at the Watford and Bournemouth home games mainly. What are the chances these get moved to a Sunday? Game being on a Sunday would be a disaster for us work and college wise. I just know there will be some exam set for that Monday.

Here are the fixtures list for the 2 weekends. Any kind of guess at all would be appreciated.

I'd say the best chance would be the Bournemouth game being on the Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah sterling is a good player. How good he can be is yet to be revealed.

Did Big Sam say that Shaw wouldn't have started anyway? If he would select Rose over Shaw then he has no place managing a pub team let alone his County. Rose is a joke.

Smalling is not average, his first season showed his potential, he floundered and struggled with injury for a while after that, he has been very good since he has stayed injury free.

He also cost a little bit less then Stones.

I would rate Smalling higher than Stones but I feel like a lot of the success he had in the last 2 seasons was due to the defensive minded set up LVG implemented on the team.

I would love to see him in Jose's team and be proven wrong. I'm still not fully convinced and I think Jose might have seen that too, hence Bailly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

England appear to be having an issue with their number 10 and where he is playing. Who could have forseen that?

I would rate Smalling higher than Stones but I feel like a lot of the success he had in the last 2 seasons was due to the defensive minded set up LVG implemented on the team.

I would love to see him in Jose's team and be proven wrong. I'm still not fully convinced and I think Jose might have seen that too, hence Bailly.

He was very good in his first season too though, without LvG of course. It was only the injuries which derailed him, once he got himself consistently fit he has been very good.

Smalling needs to cut out his holding and pulling in the box big time while we are on the subject, particularly with the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

#prayforRobertKK

;)

I was very disappointed, wondered if I should keep watching after the final whistle, but when Tipperary's Bubbles O'Dywer said 'Champions of F***ing Ireland', I was glad I did, as at least we never did that on TV when we won :pac:

I am ready for the United season now, safe in the knowledge that when United win, our players will not make a show of us when speaking on live TV.

So after that I was laughing...and hope to be laughing on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rooney looking ever more pathetic in England midfield in the first half. Jebus he needs a break or a magic wand to make the rust go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hopefully we stuff the little sister but tbh I'd be more than happy with a scrappy 1 nil.

We have a couple of injury concerns in Shaw who would be a massive loss and Miki who I think will get the nod of fully fit.

What I'm loving about the team at the moment is that for the first time in a few years we have genuine leaders on the field. Bailly at the back, Pogba in midfield and Ibra up front.

We have been lackluster in that department since Fergie left.

Gonna be a tough game and its hard to call.

City look very good going forward but are still quite frail at the back. We look very at the back but at times still a bit headless up front.

Aguero is of course a massive loss but there is still a huge amount of talent in the team.

3 points for us would be brilliant.

I see a draw in the derby unfortunately. Chelsea to go 2 points clear with a win away to Swansea.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was very disappointed, wondered if I should keep watching after the final whistle, but when Tipperary's Bubbles O'Dywer said 'Champions of F***ing Ireland', I was glad I did, as at least we never did that on TV when we won :pac:

I am ready for the United season now, safe in the knowledge that when United win, our players will not make a show of us when speaking on live TV.

So after that I was laughing...and hope to be laughing on Saturday.

Stop now rob I thought it was a great passionate speech hopefully we making something similar around middle of may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'd say the fact there has been no update is good news.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement