Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rooney is going to be the narrative every game he plays.

Piss poor again.

Solution so obvious for England and to an extent us. All about who has the bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoc wrote: »

Piss poor again.

Solution so obvious for England and to an extent us. All about who has the bollox.

There is a thread for that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd say the best chance would be the Bournemouth game being on the Saturday

Yeah I think the europa league round of 32 is the Thursday after Watford so I'm guessing if United are still in it at that stage it will be Sunday - Thursday game cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I know Rooney is always under scrutiny every game he plays but.... I just can't get it. For the last 3/4 years he's just been in decline yet every manager seems to choose him. He's lost that yard of pace strikers need, he's lost that bit of aggression.
    Lads, simple as, if you're getting 300k a week, you're certainly gonna be judged on everything you do. He has done f all in the last few years, he's not a striker anymore, he's not a midfielder, if he's a #10 well he'd want to start racking up those assists. Fair play he set up the winner for Rashford, but he had been rubbish up to that point. It just frustrates me so much to see him playing so so average for the past 3 years and getting away with it too. #10s are judged on assists and goals so we'll see how many he has in comparison with Hollywood passes in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The excuse this evening was "Sam played you a bit deeper". So his role as a deep lying playmaker was useless as he did very little playmaking. Kinda like his play over the last 3 years,a lot of bang average stuff interspersed with the increasingly rare good bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

See Sir Matt's plaque has been taken off his seat & his family have been removed from the Directors Box?

Think they still get season tickets though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

See Sir Matt's plaque has been taken off his seat & his family have been removed from the Directors Box?

I thought I read they won't be getting the tickets anymore either, be very interested to know why. More so why the plaque(s?) are being removed

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought I read they won't be getting the tickets anymore either, be very interested to know why. More so why the plaque(s?) are being removed

Story is no more tickets for the directors box or suite.

Still have season tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Thats very strange, bordering disrespectful. What difference would 4 tickets make to United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

They should have put a ribbon on that seat and left it empty.

As we all know the club does not exist as it is today without Busby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Well lads. Anyone looking for or know anyone looking for a starstreams invite shoot me a pm. Referrals for invites are open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Seems that the borad are more interested in making a few quid than recognising one of the most iconic figures in the club's history.

Sad if it's true, and a step in the wrong direction imo.

Another way in which the game is being taken away from the regular supporter.

How are they making money by taking the plaque down?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

How are they making money by taking the plaque down?

Have they not taken away the seats from the family to sell them to someone else, and given the family tickets elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Disgusted

• Advertisement

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Have they not taken away the seats from the family to sell them to someone else, and given the family tickets elsewhere?

I don't know what they intend to do with the seats, my question was about the plaque.

I don't understand why it, or any of the other plaques would need to come down.

I don't know what they intend to do with the seats, my question was about the plaque.

My guess is that if they want to resell the seats, then it would make sense to get rid of the plaque.

That's my take on it but I could be wrong.

Why else get rid of it though? Makes no sense.

My guess is that if they want to resell the seats, then it would make sense to get rid of the plaque.

That's my take on it but I could be wrong.

Why else get rid of it though? Makes no sense.

If it were financially motivated though surely having the seat with the Matt Busby plaque would be worth a lot of money, the prestige that would come with it would be incredible.

I hear it isn't just his plaque, its why I am curious as to why the plaques. Why take away something that recognizes an import piece of the clubs history.

If it were financially motivated though surely having the seat with the Matt Busby plaque would be worth a lot of money, the prestige that would come with it would be incredible.

It would be a complete insult to the family to sell "his" seat in my eyes. If they make it just another seat then it's just another sale.

Like I've said, just my initial reaction and would like to heat an official statement from the club on the matter.

Have you heard of any specific names on other plaques taken away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is the source for this please?

• Advertisement

It would be a complete insult to the family to sell "his" seat in my eyes. If they make it just another seat then it's just another sale.

Like I've said, just my initial reaction and would like to heat an official statement from the club on the matter.

Have you heard of any specific names on other plaques taken away?

No just what I read on the MEN site.

I look forward to hearing a club statement, and they surely must address this. Its an insult enough to remove the plaque tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

The seats being taken off them was always eventually going to happen but one seat they should never use again and leave a plaque on is that of Sir Matts.

Sign of the times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Headshot wrote: »
    What is the source for this please?

The sun. The worst rag of a newspaper ever to exist

bangkok wrote:
    The sun. The worst rag of a newspaper ever to exist

MEN reporting it too, although I don't know if they are just running with the Sun story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The seats being taken off them was always eventually going to happen but one seat they should never use again and leave a plaque on is that of Sir Matts.

Sign of the times

Ah come on do you think Busby would want an empty seat where a fan should be? There is a statue and the Busby Way and he will never be forgotten, but some people are far too sensitive to these kinds of things, which is why the media jump on it I suppose.

I think Busby would want a descendant of his ( A fan) to be sitting in the seat, rather than some international delegate being wined and dined for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very good explanation on redcafe.
    The term 'plaque' is not really accurate. In the director's box there are a number of seats with small name plaques on the underside. Since the leather seating went in there they had names on those seats. Some say 'Sir Alex Ferguson', 'Sir Bobby Charlton', others say 'Edwards Family', others said 'Busby Family'. The seats themselves can't be more than 10 years old, and the name plaque certainly hasn't been there for 50.

Sadly, last year both of Sir Matt's children died, but before then they could give those allocated seats out to family members if they were not going themselves. Now that they've died, and the grandchildren outnumber the amount of seats in the director's box and there's nobody to allocate them fairly, so United have given the family a number of season tickets instead, as they say in the article. It's just crap sensationalist journalism from the MEN again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The term 'plaque' is not really accurate. In the director's box there are a number of seats with small name plaques on the underside. Since the leather seating went in there they had names on those seats. Some say 'Sir Alex Ferguson', 'Sir Bobby Charlton', others say 'Edwards Family', others said 'Busby Family'. The seats themselves can't be more than 10 years old, and the name plaque certainly hasn't been there for 50.

Sadly, last year both of Sir Matt's children died, but before then they could give those allocated seats out to family members if they were not going themselves. Now that they've died, and the grandchildren outnumber the amount of seats in the director's box and there's nobody to allocate them fairly, so United have given the family a number of season tickets instead, as they say in the article. It's just crap sensationalist journalism from the MEN again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Much ado about nothing.

Korat wrote: »
    Much ado about nothing.

This is the internet, it doesn't pass up the chance to be outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is the internet, it doesn't pass up the chance to be outraged.

Take that back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggsy11 wrote: »

There was an image added onto this post to show the "plaque". As Korat says, much ado about nothing

B05dnBBCIAEaxXZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Haven't a clue how reliable this source is but.....

https://twitter.com/hlninengeland/status/772671463195287553

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Haven't a clue how reliable this source is but.....

https://twitter.com/hlninengeland/status/772671463195287553

Seems to be a Belgian Journo with 43k followers so not some nobody anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »

Piss poor again.

Were you so interested in his form for England when he was their top scorer during their Euros qualifying campaign? Or was his international form not relevant to United then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    Were you so interested in his form for England when he was their top scorer during their Euros qualifying campaign? Or was his international form not relevant to United then?

personally thought his general play in the Euro qualifying campaign was pretty poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its the fact that his form is the same both for club and country which is the most worrying. One of other can be passed off as tactics or players around him, but both would suggest that that is the level he is at.

To me, the most worrying is that he himself doesn't seem to know what his position is. He appears to have given up on the sticker role altogether and is now drifting back to deeper midfield. He has little experience of this position and for a top goal scorer to simply give up on goal scoring seems very strange. Rather than fight for his place as a sticker he seems to be content to move to whatever position is available.

It is not that he can't do a job in any position, the guy is a great footballer no matter what, it just that there appears to be players better than him in each of the position he appears to think he is now capable of.

personally thought his general play in the Euro qualifying campaign was pretty poor too.

Your opinion of how he played in that campaign isn't important to the point I was making. There was lots of talk in here of how his national team form was irrelevant to United when he was their top scorer. It will be good to chart how people's opinions on that change.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Its the fact that his form is the same both for club and country which is the most worrying. One of other can be passed off as tactics or players around him, but both would suggest that that is the level he is at.

To me, the most worrying is that he himself doesn't seem to know what his position is. He appears to have given up on the sticker role altogether and is now drifting back to deeper midfield. He has little experience of this position and for a top goal scorer to simply give up on goal scoring seems very strange. Rather than fight for his place as a sticker he seems to be content to move to whatever position is available.

It is not that he can't do a job in any position, the guy is a great footballer no matter what, it just that there appears to be players better than him in each of the position he appears to think he is now capable of.

Your description of how he is playing does not match what he has been doing for United so far this season at all.

• Advertisement

• Pro. F wrote: »
    Your description of how he is playing does not match what he has been doing for United so far this season at all.

Really?
    No correlation in his form for both England and Utd currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads there's a whole thread dedicate to Wayne fudging Rooney

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642233

Thought it was agreed we try and keep the United thread free of this sort of stuff!! It got far too rambling covering the same ground last week and a seperate thread was set up for it..

Not having a go at anyone in particular so please don't accuse me of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

brinty wrote: »
    Lads there's a whole thread dedicate to Wayne fudging Rooney

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642233

Thought it was agreed we try and keep the United thread free of this sort of stuff!! It got far too rambling covering the same ground last week and a seperate thread was set up for it..

Not having a go at anyone in particular so please don't accuse me of that

Could we not have done the same for that airplane crap during the summer?

• Super news that Fellani is going to be fit for the Derby

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Super news that Fellani is going to be fit for the Derby

to be honest i dont think he was injured at all. mourinho wanted him to be rested before the derby, same as luke shaw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bangkok wrote: »
    to be honest i dont think he was injured at all. mourinho wanted him to be rested before the derby, same as luke shaw

He met up with the Belgian squad and didn't play. If there was nothing wrong with him the Belgian medical team would have said so and they would have played him.

Luke Shaw also joined up with the England squad. Again if there was nothing wrong him the England medical staff wouldn't have sent him back to Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bangkok wrote: »

Do they not have to miss the game if they are injured for the internationals? I thought that was a rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Varane said he turned down a move to United this summer, after talks with Zidane.
    He said it was hard to turn down Mourinho.

Claims United will try again next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Don't know what to expect on Saturday. Both teams facing their first real test and this game could have such a massive effect on how they both go forward.

Could be tonked, could give a tonking. Early Saturday kick offs often throw up strange games too. It should be engrossing whatever happens.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Do they not have to miss the game if they are injured for the internationals? I thought that was a rule?

no thats not a rule. i would expect both shaw and fellaini to both start v city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Rooney's just not good enough for a club that has designs on winning major trophies. The fact that most Utd fans are unhappy with his performances says it all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement