Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think City are further along down the road than we are, they've had consistency and good coaching for the last 3 or 4 years.

I'd probably take a draw if it was offered now but at the same time I'm also interested to see us go at it and find out where we are ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I think City are further along down the road than we are, they've had consistency and good coaching for the last 3 or 4 years.

I'd probably take a draw if it was offered now but at the same time I'm also interested to see us go at it and find out where we are ourselves.

is that you david moyes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    is that you david moyes?!

Credit where its due

Thats a classic one liner sir ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't think so I think man for man there is little difference I'd have kdb and silva from their squad and I think kun is quality but too just injury prone apart from that I'd not trade any of our strongest player for each position with them.

It's gonna be a humdinger of a game I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really?
    No correlation in his form for both England and Utd currently?

Please quote where I said that. It was a one sentence post that you quoted, so shouldn't be hard to find if it's there.

Korat wrote: »
    Rooney's just not good enough for a club that has designs on winning major trophies. The fact that most Utd fans are unhappy with his performances says it all.

Most United fans were unhappy about Fellaini too. Most fans aren't that clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Rooney's just not good enough for a club that has designs on winning major trophies. The fact that most Utd fans are unhappy with his performances says it all.

What are you basing the figure "most" on, "most" of the fans that paid to watch him for the last 4 games have been constantly singing his song.

They didn't seem to be remotely upset with him when he setup the last gasp winner against hull with a sublime bit of skill that if berbatov had have done it people on here would be creaming themselves.

Who is this "most" you speak of ? a few clueless idiots on twitter? a few Rooney bashers on boards?

"Big Sam" A manager with a wealth of premier league experience and now Engliand manager has him as captain and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Mouhino one of the most successful managers in the world has him as captain and one of the first names on the team sheet. Who has said if his performances drop off has no problem dropping him hasn't.

But a few lads who have no professional football experience and probably not as much as school boy league football experience feel he's not cuttin' the mustard?

Rooney out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

crkball6 wrote: »
    But a few lads who have no professional football experience and probably not as much as school boy league football experience feel he's not cuttin' the mustard?

I agree.

A permanent ban on all discussion between fans about football should be imposed immediately. It's the only reasonable option for the welfare of the game.

The only people who can reasonably comment about football are those that have played the game at a professional level, such as Jamie Redknapp, Eamon Dunphy, Ray Houghton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Open Thread...

shut-up-i-dont-care.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What are you basing the figure "most" on, "most" of the fans that paid to watch him for the last 4 games have been constantly singing his song.

They didn't seem to be remotely upset with him when he setup the last gasp winner against hull with a sublime bit of skill that if berbatov had have done it people on here would be creaming themselves.

Who is this "most" you speak of ? a few clueless idiots on twitter? a few Rooney bashers on boards?

"Big Sam" A manager with a wealth of premier league experience and now Engliand manager has him as captain and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Mouhino one of the most successful managers in the world has him as captain and one of the first names on the team sheet. Who has said if his performances drop off has no problem dropping him hasn't.

Rooney out! :rolleyes:

This is such a bullsh*t argument.
    You think Mourinho hasn't got anything wrong in the past that someone outside of football could have predicted?

• Advertisement

This is such a bullsh*t argument.
    You think Mourinho hasn't got anything wrong in the past that someone outside of football could have predicted?

He's made previous mistakes?

I've no idea why he's been signed.

Mourhino out, rooney out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Mourinho, Moyes, vangaal, Ferguson a succession of England managers. All wrong. If it was one manager or even two the argument could be made that their making mistakes but all of them are wrong and this bunch know better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jayop wrote: »
    Mourinho, Moyes, vangaal, Ferguson a succession of England managers. All wrong. If it was one manager or even two the argument could be made that their making mistakes but all of them are wrong and this bunch know better.

Just focusing on the United managers...
    Two of those lost their job for not having the team preforming well.
    One looked to have Rooney halfway out the door before one of the above two decided to give him a new contract.
    And one is less than a dozen games into his career as United manager.

I absolutely detest this "Appeal to authority" type of logic. I can't sing, so I can have an opinion on music any more? Not massively good looking, so guess I can't have an opinion of beauty any more. I absolutely couldn't put a movie together, so I guess I can no longer have opinions of what makes a good movie...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    One looked to have Rooney halfway out the door before one of the above two decided to give him a new contract.

I absolutely detest this "Appeal to authority" type of logic. I can't sing, so I can have an opinion on music any more? Not massively good looking, so guess I can't have an opinion of beauty any more. I absolutely couldn't put a movie together, so I guess I can no longer have opinions of what makes a good movie...

Sure you can have an opinion.
    You can also be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm not sure what the point is anymore

He's made previous mistakes?

I've no idea why he's been signed.

Mourhino out, rooney out!

Okaaaaay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the point is anymore

The point is that finally MU have got their act together after 3 years p1ssed away and since we are now all so used to having so much to complain about there is a void left and Rooney is as good a way to fill it as any other.

We will all get used to being good again and we can get back to talking about important issues.

The last 3 years hurt, it will take a while to get back to normal. People need time to adjust!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The point is that finally MU have got their act together after 3 years p1ssed away and since we are now all so used to having so much to complain about there is a void left and Rooney is as good a way to fill it as any other.

We will all get used to being good again and we can get back to talking about important issues.

The last 3 years hurt, it will take a while to get back to normal. People need time to adjust!

Can't speak for everyone but there's been plenty of us that have been unhappy with Rooney's performances for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »

I didn't say that, though. Of course you can have an opinion. Just like you can think the Godfather is crap. You are equally entitled to be wrong in both cases.

However if a few of the best actors in history said it was a good film I'd have more respect for their opinion than yours. And perhaps then you could countenance the idea that you might be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zlatan gives the reason why he chose United:

"I was close two times to moving to the Premier League - once with Arsenal and then Manchester City," he said. "But it never happened and I don't need to play in the Premier League."

Mourinho's appointment at United meant he wasn't about to let the chance of playing in England slip again.

"He is the mastermind, the masterbrain," he said. "He knows what he needs to do to win.

"I learned a lot from him at Inter. Who wouldn't want to have Mourinho as manager?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    Please quote where I said that. It was a one sentence post that you quoted, so shouldn't be hard to find if it's there.

Hiya Pro. F. I don't think you said that literally, I'm just wondering what you meant by this?

"does not match what he has been doing for United so far this season at all"

What were you comparing here to what he's been doing with United?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Saturday will be special, United v City, Jose v Pep.

Fellaini seemingly ok now to partner Pogba.
    Mkhitaryan looks set to miss the game, but Lingard is back.
    Martial, Rooney, but wonder if Jose will play Rashford, then Zlatan up front.
    Jose could drop Martial (doubt he will) and play Rooney on the left of Rashford in the middle with Lingard or Mata on the right.

It is hard to drop Rashford unless Jose wants to keep him as the super sub to bring on when City start tiring.
    Who plays behind Zlatan in the three behind him and ahead of Pogba for me will be the interesting thing.
    The rest of the team unchanged in my opinion, barring injury.

Most United fans were unhappy about Fellaini too. Most fans aren't that clever.

Ha! Fellaini has had 2 or 3 very good games this season but I think its unfair comparing the fans unhappiness with Fellaini and with Rooney.

It's quite clear that Rooney has declined and been in the decline for a while imho... by his own high standards. Now there's various variables, conditions and goings on over the last 3 to 4 years which makes it very difficult to pin point which ones are the main reasons.

I've seen games this season where he's done average or well most of the match, but I either count 5 or 6 things that frustrate me no end OR come on sites such as here and there's a montage of vid clips of him mis controlling or passing into no mans land... I won't say time and time again but more often than it should. Some will say you could do that with any player but I doubt that.

The guy does some things really well, but he's not the player he was and the mistakes and frustrations are too consistent nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It would be a very boring world if everyone agreed with each other all the time but some people seem to have very low expectations of Utd players. I don't know whether thats just because they're blinded by a misplaced sense of loyalty or they really do think average players are good enough for Utd. It was the same craic with Welbeck, a bang average player who was hyped up by the English media because he scored a few goals for England against Lichtenstein and San Marino and next thing you know the same few pleople are fawning over him somehow seeing what no one else can.

It would be a very boring world if everyone agreed with each other all the time but some people seem to have very low expectations of Utd players. I don't know whether thats just because they're blinded by a misplaced sense of loyalty or they really do think average players are good enough for Utd. It was the same craic with Welbeck, a bang average player who was hyped up by the English media because he scored a few goals for England against Lichtenstein and San Marino and next thing you know the same few pleople are fawning over him somehow seeing what no one else can.

You just say one thing about Taibi. I dare you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You just say one thing about Taibi. I dare you!

Taibi was never given a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brinty wrote: »

Thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

brinty wrote: »

If he waa given a chance he'd have taken it with both hands. ..

Well, maybe not.....

Nalz wrote: »
    Hiya Pro. F. I don't think you said that literally, I'm just wondering what you meant by this?

"does not match what he has been doing for United so far this season at all"

What were you comparing here to what he's been doing with United?

I was comparing Rooney's play at United to Leroy42's description of how he is playing. Exactly like I said in the first half of that one sentence that you didnt quote:
    Your description of how he is playing does not match what he has been doing for United so far this season at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some people couldn't see the problems with Van Gaal either, all the signs were there but many people either couldn't see them or didn't want to see them. We know how that turned out.

And here we are again, people still not seeing the wood for the trees.

• Advertisement

Some people couldn't see the problems with Van Gaal either, all the signs were there but many people either couldn't see them or didn't want to see them. We know how that turned out.

And here we are again, people still not seeing the wood for the trees.

What signs? What are we not seen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jayo26 wrote: »
    What signs? What are we not seen?

Amazing passing and possession stats, but nowhere near enough goals scored?

An File wrote: »
    Amazing passing and possession stats, but nowhere near enough goals scored?

6 goals in 3 games ain't a bad return? One goal concede is fairly good too.

I think buckety was talking about Rooney?

I think buckety was talking about Rooney?

Ahh Yeh probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well I want Griezmann to replace Rooney next season.

However good Rooney is, Griezmann would be better.

Ha! Fellaini has had 2 or 3 very good games this season but I think its unfair comparing the fans unhappiness with Fellaini and with Rooney.

How is it unfair?
    It's quite clear that Rooney has declined and been in the decline for a while imho... by his own high standards. Now there's various variables, conditions and goings on over the last 3 to 4 years which makes it very difficult to pin point which ones are the main reasons.

I've seen games this season where he's done average or well most of the match, but I either count 5 or 6 things that frustrate me no end OR come on sites such as here and there's a montage of vid clips of him mis controlling or passing into no mans land... I won't say time and time again but more often than it should. Some will say you could do that with any player but I doubt that.

The guy does some things really well, but he's not the player he was and the mistakes and frustrations are too consistent nowadays.

That's all very subjective. Bits of play that "frustrate you" and 'not as good as he used to be' - you could say the same about Ibrahimovic, or Ronaldo, or any player over the age of 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have faith that Mourinho will drop Rooney as soon as he deserves to be dropped. Apart from a mild frustration at a few things he does I just can't be arsed to moan about him while we are playing so well and winning games. He has been a decent part of the good things we have done so far too.

Time solves a lot of problems. Rooney will be gone eventually.

How is it unfair?

That's all very subjective. Bits of play that "frustrate you" and 'not as good as he used to be' - you could say the same about Ibrahimovic, or Ronaldo, or any player over the age of 28.
    Think is those other class players produce more and win mo games for their teams.. so I wouldn't say the same for the two especially you mentioned tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I don't think Rooney played awful last night, as a deep lying midfielder against limited opposition. But he was an awful No. 10, which is where Allardyce seemed to want him to play. Kane didn't play great but he was isolated for most of the game and I think it was a dereliction of duty on Rooney's part to think more about his own game then doing what was best for the team. He is not good enough to grant that much freedom to.

Despite all the hyperbole Rooney has been fine this season but I think we have better options in all the positions he plays in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Your opinion of how he played in that campaign isn't important to the point I was making. There was lots of talk in here of how his national team form was irrelevant to United when he was their top scorer. It will be good to chart how people's opinions on that change.

Pretty sure I never put forward that opinion.

There is simply no escaping Rooney is in a downward spiral, no matter what his supporters say or feel, he's becoming detrimental to two teams.

It shows how utterly brain dead he is dropping that deep against a 10 man team sitting deep, when England already had two deep players. Goes to show prove that experience cliché is a myth too.

Couldn't believe how Allardyce allowed that continue and then defended it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TheDoc wrote: »
    Couldn't believe how Allardyce allowed that continue and then defended it afterwards.

Its incredible he said it. It is the sort of silly statement that is picked up and used to beat an England manager with when they are in their results death spiral. Allardyce said something obviously foolish in his first competitive press conference so it will haunt him for the rest of his tenure.

I could see some reporters picking some mischief in the next press conference by asking Mourinho about what he thought about those comments and if he thinks he is able to tell Rooney where to play.

Think is those other class players produce more and win mo games for their teams.. so I wouldn't say the same for the two especially you mentioned tbh.

So your problem with Rooney is not, in fact, that he isn't as good as he used to be or that he has 5 or 6 bits of play that frustrate you in a game - because Ibra and Ronaldo and the majority of high profile attacking players over the age of 28 are the same. Actually, your problem is that he doesn't score enough and win enough games.

Well, he has had the misfortune of being managed by LVG for the last two seasons and that manager severely impeded the entire team's ability to score and create goals.

So far this season, under the new manager, Rooney has created or scored a goal in each game we've played. That's more than Ibrahimovic. So I'd say you're mistaken to be criticising him and lauding Ibra on that front at the moment.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Pretty sure I never put forward that opinion.

You are responding to a post that I addressed to Mitch, not you.

This is the post I addressed to you:
    Were you so interested in his form for England when he was their top scorer during their Euros qualifying campaign? Or was his international form not relevant to United then?

I don't think Rooney played awful last night, as a deep lying midfielder against limited opposition. But he was an awful No. 10, which is where Allardyce seemed to want him to play. Kane didn't play great but he was isolated for most of the game and I think it was a dereliction of duty on Rooney's part to think more about his own game then doing what was best for the team. He is not good enough to grant that much freedom to.

Despite all the hyperbole Rooney has been fine this season but I think we have better options in all the positions he plays in.

If Allardyce wanted Rooney further up the pitch but he let Rooney play wherever he felt like then the fault is with Allardyce, not Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hopefully in a couple of years some of these lads will be household names, some great play.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/772837981702934528

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Tiresome.

Quality contribution. Keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

5 days until the derby......... CANNOT WAIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Quality contribution. Keep them coming.

Was my post directed at you? Show me where I quoted you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement