Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

bangkok wrote: »
    Manchester derby weekend, probably one of the best goals scored in premier league history......

https://youtu.be/gKLC7ITp3T0

Yeah, great goal and all, but what else did he do all game? :-SS

/Runs, doesn't look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Was there not a rule change that allows the FA to take action even if the ref has seen it but didn't action it? Or did I imagine that?

Yea that rule came in after Wigan Newcastle game a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yea that rule came in after Wigan Newcastle game a few years ago.

So that would make this whole charade pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Was there not a rule change that allows the FA to take action even if the ref has seen it but didn't action it? Or did I imagine that?

i think he has to not mention it in his report afterwards. if say he said he saw it and didnt think it was worth taking action i still think their hands are tied which is a very stupid rule really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think in cases of extreme conduct (basically the press/media/mothers of the children kick up enough fuss) they can step in according to some rule they mad up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

To be honest I think the ref did see but thought nothing of it at the time. Seen the reply after the game and said to himself I should have given him a red. He is only human, he made a mistake. Then he told the fa he didn't see, aguero gets the ban he fully deserved.

You can see something and not see it at the same time. You can see the challenge and see the flailing arm but not see it as being an intentional elbow. In that instance you are absolutely right to say you didn't see it properly and have it reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jayop wrote: »
    You can see something and not see it at the same time. You can see the challenge and see the flailing arm but not see it as being an intentional elbow. In that instance you are absolutely right to say you didn't see it properly and have it reviewed.

But you can't say that at the moment. Oncethe ref says they saw it that should be the end of it according to the rules as they are.

I do think the ref should be able to admit they got it wrong and apply retrospective punishment. The current situation is stupid.

But you can't say that at the moment. Oncethe ref says they saw it that should be the end of it according to the rules as they are.

I do think the ref should be able to admit they got it wrong and apply retrospective punishment. The current situation is stupid.

Well if the ref sees me putting my hands on your face, but doesn't see that I stuck a finger in your eye, did he see the incident or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Well if the ref sees me putting my hands on your face, but doesn't see that I stuck a finger in your eye, did he see the incident or not?

And therein lies the confusion of the rules. Does the ref just have to have not seen anything or just not seen the actual infringing contact?

And therein lies the confusion of the rules. Does the ref just have to have not seen anything or just not seen the actual infringing contact?

I thought it was the latter. Didn't someone get a ban a while back for stamping on januzaj at Fulham even though the ref seen the challenge but not the stamp?

• Advertisement

Actually it seems I'm wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/06/sascha-reither-ban-stamp-adnan-januzaj-fulham
    Riether becomes the first player punished by the FA under its new retrospective action scheme, amended in July to allow the authorities to hand down sanctions when a match official's view of an incident has been obstructed, with three former referees now reviewing video evidence of incidents not seen. Marouane Fellaini and Pajtim Kasami were also involved in the melee at Fulham last Saturday, leaving Probert's view obscured.

Fulham were understood to be considering challenging the charge after Chelsea's Fernando Torres escaped retrospective punishment in September. Torres scratched the face of Tottenham's Jan Verthongen but avoided a sanction because the FA said that officials saw a "coming together" between the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

So if a ref were to see an incident but wasn't sure of what exactly happened, what is he to do? Let the player get away with it or leave it for the review panel and their slow motion replays to deal with?

I'm not even surprised the referees and PGMOL are trying to protect themselves from criticism by doing this. It lets justice be done the only way it can within the current rules. No ref wants to be shown a replay later and then admit they were wrong.

It's stupid but I don't know if that still applies just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The thing about it is at least the United fans debate it where as the others just scream conspiracy ;)

Way I see it is he was absolutely guilty no doubt about it the thing that makes it sweeter is that they feel hard done by it.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/promising-manchester-united-youngster-becomes-irish-citizen-receives-ireland-u21-call/94319?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Promoted+Post&utm_campaign=SportsJOE_sep16

United's U21 keeper has just got an Irish passport and a call up to the U21 side. Can't say I've managed to catch any U21 games recently so I don't know what this lad is like.

Rashford leads the attack for the English u21s tonight with some other well known Tallents in the side also Martin oddeguard starts for Norway I have never actually seen him play apart from one football manager of course ;)

20160906_173035.png

Game on bt sport 5.45

Loftus Cheek and Rashford should be in the senior squad. Two mega talented kids that they should build the side around.

Loftus Cheek and Rashford should be in the senior squad. Two mega talented kids that they should build the side around.

I don't think two years of u21 football do them any harm at all give them valuable tournament experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Looking forward to this City game on Sat.

Genuine chance of stuffing them with or without Aguero imo.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't think two years of u21 football do them any harm at all give them valuable tournament experience.

The England team is full of Sr Pro's that they know are not good enough. Henderson starts every game and clearly isn't any good at that level. Loftus Cheek is the future and should be given a chance to shine. Rashford is someone who even if he doesn't start can make a huge impact off the bench and will score goals. I'd have both of them in my sr England squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The England team is full of Sr Pro's that they know are not good enough. Henderson starts every game and clearly isn't any good at that level. Loftus Cheek is the future and should be given a chance to shine. Rashford is someone who even if he doesn't start can make a huge impact off the bench and will score goals. I'd have both of them in my sr England squad

I don't know what it is but I just can't see Big Sam give the young players many chances. Think he will stick with experience for this campaign anyways

astradave wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but I just can't see Big Sam give the young players many chances. Think he will stick with experience for this campaign anyways

Yep, stick with the same team that failed before. Sure fire success! :pac:

Problem with that is Rashford needs game time for long term development as does rlc. Both look to be top class Tallent but neither are regular starters for club or country and more games theyou actually play the better.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Problem with that is Rashford needs game time for long term development as does rlc. Both look to be top class Tallent but neither are regular starters for club or country and more games theyou actually play the better.

It's the bench on the first team Vs starting for the ressies argument. Personally a mix of both is the best, but providing they're getting an average of ~20 minutes a game for the first team then I'd leave them there. You'll learn more training with the first team, and playing with/against better players even for small amounts of time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/promising-manchester-united-youngster-becomes-irish-citizen-receives-ireland-u21-call/94319?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Promoted+Post&utm_campaign=SportsJOE_sep16

United's U21 keeper has just got an Irish passport and a call up to the U21 side. Can't say I've managed to catch any U21 games recently so I don't know what this lad is like.

Interesting, on the Paddy Crerand show someone rang in from Ireland to say this was the first time since 1935 that the United did not have an Irish player in the squad with the sale of Paddy McNair.
    OK he is in the underage squad.

• Advertisement

It's the bench on the first team Vs starting for the ressies argument. Personally a mix of both is the best, but providing they're getting an average of ~20 minutes a game for the first team then I'd leave them there. You'll learn more training with the first team, and playing with/against better players even for small amounts of time imo.

Very rarely will 18 year old get into an international team apart from the exception. Playing games is what developed them and 20 mins the odd time for England won't.

On average they play say 10 games a year if he got on as a sub in about 6 or 7 of them that's only about 140 minutes of football. Play in the u21s he could have about 900 minutes and tournament experience.

He is already training with the first team at United so he is learning alot there.

If he was a regular starter in the United team like he was last year I'd say Yeh give him a go in the seniors but he ain't and by looks of it he won't be this year but that's no harm he is only 18 leave him developed physically some more also.

I'd say Rashford will start around 10 games this season for United. League cup and if we manage to qualify early from the Europa group, those games as well as any games that Zlatan isn't fit for. Add those 900 minutes to all the sub apps he'll make especially if he does well then he should get a nice amount of game time.

I take your point though Jayo.

Love Rashford, great goal.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Love Rashford, great goal.

ell of course he was going to score. It's a debut ffs. ;)

Good international real bar Henrikh getting injured.
    Couple of assists for Pogba, Martial scoring, Rashford scoring,.
    Rashford should be starting on Saturday with Martial and Rooney as he won't be dropped when he is getting important assists.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »
    Anyone here actually buzzing for the derby? The last 3 seasons we were going into such games with trepidation, jaysus,we were even nervous waiting to face the likes of Swansea. The positivity makes a nice change.

Yup, really anticipating it here.

Mostly because I can see us winning, and potentially blowing City away. I know its rough to say and probably a bit jinxy, but find their team shockingly over rated. When you look at that squad on paper outside of that front 4, it's not really this glistening strong squad it's made out.

Without Aguero I think we will handle Inacho(spellcheck) comfortably and it will be about dealing with Sterling, De Bruyne and Silva. Again I'm confident from what our team has shwon so far, some good defensive solidity. And I think our front line could really rip them to shreds. That defence is pretty frail, and the high line they are using will be a wet dream to Martial/Rashford.

I'll be surprised if Guardiola doesn't deploy a more defensive lineup, but if he does his usual, I think we could really win this with a big statement.

So many good little matchups around the pitch also. I kinda love how English media,fans and pundits have been going generally mental about John Stones(to whom I struggle to understand the hype) when we have had Blind doing the same, and substantially better, in our team for two years now :D

Henderson is definitely one of ones that consistently puzzles me. Seems to have so much general support in England too.

It's mental he starts for England and plays for Liverpool...mental

TheDoc wrote: »
    Henderson is definitely one of ones that consistently puzzles me. Seems to have so much general support in England too.

Runs a lot, puts in tackles and shouts at people.

Commitment innit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I am really looking forward to playing a team that doesn't park ten men behind the ball. Granted, we will probably do so ourself, but I look forward to seeing how we do against a team playing open football...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to playing a team that doesn't park ten men behind the ball. Granted, we will probably do so ourself, but I look forward to seeing how we do against a team playing open football...

lol I was gearing up to type that after reading the first line.

Runs a lot, puts in tackles and shouts at people.

Commitment innit.

pash-un

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »

I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't think he's that bad either. Who do you think should be playing instead of him for England?

Rashford is seriously some Tallent so excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Fantastic goal. Big Sam looked impressed. Not sure what he was saying but it kinda looked like 'Good Boy' :p

He should definitely be in the England squad but atm he needs to be playing and at 21s he will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    Was Keane2097's post deleted?

Just in case anyone thinks there's anything unfair going on here, I deleted that post myself.

I've made the same point in the past, couldn't expect any good to come of it with the rabble and it was probably needlessly insulting to at least some people I think are mostly nice.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't think he's that bad either. Who do you think should be playing instead of him for England?

Depends if he's deployed as an attacking CM or a defensive one. For me he's better further forward will less responsibility but he rarely seems to play there any more being deployed in a deep playmaker role that he's completely unsuited for.

England don't have much strength in depth in CM at the minute, especially going forward.

Dier
    Alli
    Wiltshire
    Barkley
    Drinkwater
    Delph
    Mason
    Loftus-Cheek

Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out but that's the options they have and they're pretty poor really. That's why they should probably scrap the likes of Henderson and set their stall out with a Barkley or try RLC.

I'd say Rashford will start around 10 games this season for United. League cup and if we manage to qualify early from the Europa group, those games as well as any games that Zlatan isn't fit for. Add those 900 minutes to all the sub apps he'll make especially if he does well then he should get a nice amount of game time.

I take your point though Jayo.

Looking at that team tonight they are a seriously talented bunch of lads what they should be doing is keeping a squad like them together for 15 to 20 games at least allow them to go to the u21s tournaments then take the top five or six players and integrate them into the seniors they know each other but also won't be any pushovers when it comes to the other senior players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

lol I was gearing up to type that after reading the first line.

Wouldn't be at all shocked if both Pep and Jose play a very conservative game and would be happy to take a draw to avoid the fallout of losing that match.

Ahh lads Rashford is just something else I'm obsessed what a goal he just scored

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rashers should start.

Drop Martial or Rooney and give the lad a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Rashford scores again. Love it!

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Rashers should start.

Drop Martial or Rooney and give the lad a run of games.

He seems to be drifting in from the left tonight and he just has tons of space to do what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hattrick for Rashers

• Advertisement

Got his ha trick with a penalty great performance from him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement