Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Giroud has a decent enough scoring record for France. Especially over the the recent past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Giroud and henderson...

Am i on the right thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »
    Giroud and henderson...

Am i on the right thread???

Slagging other teams players, better than the Rooney debate

bangkok wrote: »
    Slagging other teams players, better than the Rooney debate

You're right :eek:

And some classic one liners :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Bendtner at Notts Forest. Surely he can take them to the dizzying highs of European glory once again.

Bendtner at Notts Forest. Surely he can take them to the dizzying highs of European glory once again.

Lord bendtner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going miss match due to work.

That's nice change from last year when working was great excuse not to watch United.

Fancy us to win too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Going miss match due to work.

That's nice change from last year when working was great excuse not to watch United.

Fancy us to win too

I will be driving down to visit my parents so will get my Dad to record it and avoid radio / internet til I sit down and watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I will be driving down to visit my parents so will get my Dad to record it and avoid radio / internet til I sit down and watch it.

Leave earlier??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Jayop wrote: »
    Leave earlier??

or later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

hesitant about calling it Saturday.

I think Mourinho will want to beat Pep well in OT, his record against him is poor, obviously skewed by Spain and what I believe to have been an unfair playing ground but I think it bothers him going by the digs he's aimed at him in the past.

Could leave us very open, pressure is huge for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yaya Toure's agent says Yaya has been humiliated by the treatment he is getting from Pep, and that City will lose millions of fans in Africa to United.

I am not sure City had millions of fans to lose in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Lads, I'll be sunning my hole in Magaluf for the match. Anyone know a good spot to watch it over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Lads, I'll be sunning my hole in Magaluf for the match. Anyone know a good spot to watch it over there?

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Here's a surprising thing about Bendtner (surprised me anyway): 29 goals in 72 games for his national team. Some record, that.

• Advertisement

TMI mate, think of our poor female posters
    :eek::eek:

Cookie, just think of Juan and Daleys lovely hair ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

bangkok wrote: »
    Giroud is a great target man, I think the fact he plays for arsenal and they haven't won the league in 10 years fans think he is crap

No, the fact that I have watched him play in the PL since 2012 where he has been streaky (at best) makes me think there are better options for France. I didn't say he was bad, I said there were better options. Of course that's subjective, but someone would have an amazingly hard time to convince me otherwise on current evidence.

Plus, the rest of your post doesn't make sense to me at all. Does that mean that Ozil is crap? Sanchez is sh*te? Ramsey - total bollocks too? Was Van Persie being heralded as a poor signing for United? Was Fabregas useless when he left for Barcelona?

The measure of a player is from watching him play. Winning a league doesn't transform them from crap to brilliant (in any reasonable persons head).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Personally would have preferred for you to have gone to Lourdes or Fatima and have said a prayer that the current good times continue... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yaya Toure's agent says Yaya has been humiliated by the treatment he is getting from Pep, and that City will lose millions of fans in Africa to United.

If their hordes of fans have actually been living in poverty in Africa all this time it might explain why there are so many empty seats at the Etihad, City are a massive club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

They can't find 60 thousand in Manchester to fill the stadium nevermind millions in Africa.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Leave earlier??

My wife has an appointment at half 10 so can't leave early and she is going somewhere with my mam and sister in the afternoon so I can't wait til after.

Goddamn wimmin, ruining my enjoyment of the biggest game of the season so far.

:mad:

Its gas.

Pep has frozen out Hart and Yaya and nary a remark passed.

Jose did it with Basti and you have random fans criticising his treatment of a legend.

Funny how things are when you have the persona of being a bastard vs being a lamb that does his best not to offend anyone.

Aye pep can be a ruthless b******d too
    But let's not forget Bayern went from European Champions to non finalists on his watch
    No guarantee of anything for Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its gas.

Pep has frozen out Hart and Yaya and nary a remark passed.

Jose did it with Basti and you have random fans criticising his treatment of a legend.

Funny how things are when you have the persona of being a bastard vs being a lamb that does his best not to offend anyone.

In fairness Schweinsteiger was one of the best players of his generation and incredibly well respected and liked. Hart comes off as a pompous meathead and Toure a dislikeable mercenary.

But let's not forget Bayern went from European Champions to non finalists on his watch

But he plays pepball...

Liam O wrote: »
    In fairness Schweinsteiger was one of the best players of his generation and incredibly well respected and liked. Hart comes off as a pompous meathead and Toure a dislikeable mercenary.

Keyword been was. Bastian did nothing last year to show that he could replicate any of his top form for United. The only two moments that stand out was his pass for the goal in Europe was it to Herrera I think and his goal that he scored the rest was bang average.

jayo26 wrote:
    But he plays pepball...

Pepball
    Pretty but no guarantee of success
    Joseball
    Not as attractive but won European cups with 2 different clubs

Pepball
    Joseball

Let's be honest now infairness the two of them are probably the top two managers in the game I'd not give much of an inch eitherway.

Both have flaws and both have advantages this season will be a serious one up over the other and either one could come out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lmfao at this post.

I don't support City, Barcelona or Bayern Munich but I have to respond to this drivel.

Guardiola broke records in the Bundeliga and that is not an easy feat when you take over a club like Bayern Munich. He is one of three coaches to win three titles, he leaves there with a 100% championship record in the Bundesliga. He has the highest points per game average of any coach in the history of the Bundesliga.

It's insane to suggest he failed because he didn't win a Champion's league title in three years.

Pepball
    Joseball

Pretty....boring!

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lmfao at this post.

I don't support City, Barcelona or Bayern Munich but I have to respond to this drivel.

Guardiola broke records in the Bundeliga and that is not an easy feat when you take over a club like Bayern Munich. He is one of three coaches to win three titles, he leaves there with a 100% championship record in the Bundesliga. He has the highest points per game average of any coach in the history of the Bundesliga.

It's insane to suggest he failed because he didn't win a Champion's league title in three years.

Wow, he won 3 one horse races. Amazing feat of management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jayo26 wrote: »
    Keyword been was. Bastian did nothing last year to show that he could replicate any of his top form for United. The only two moments that stand out was his pass for the goal in Europe was it to Herrera I think and his goal that he scored the rest was bang average.

He was class in a european semi final recently. Wasn't really played in a system that allowed him to thrive too, like most players last season. Would have been a great pickup for a lot of teams around Europe. Schneiderlin was worse last season and yet Schweinsteiger is the one that is criticised a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So Pep isn't amazing because he didn't win the European Cup with Bayern... Fergie must have been rubbish all those years United didn't win one too right?

Pep is the greatest manager of his generation, like Fergie was before him. Its even less argueable for Pep. And to dismiss his record in the Bundesliga is pretty funny. Also do we not count his time at Barca anymore? The guy introduced a revolutionary style of play (didn't invent it but did perfect it) and is spoken of in RIDICULOUS glowing terms by former players. He's all ready an all time legend and i'd be shocked if he didn't improve City massively in the 3 or so years he'll spend there. Look at the impact he's already had on Sterling for instance.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So Pep isn't amazing because he didn't win the European Cup with Bayern... Fergie must have been rubbish all those years United didn't win one too right?

Pep is the greatest manager of his generation, like Fergie was before him. Its even less argueable for Pep. And to dismiss his record in the Bundesliga is pretty funny. Also do we not count his time at Barca anymore? The guy introduced a revolutionary style of play (didn't invent it but did perfect it) and is spoken of in RIDICULOUS glowing terms by former players. He's all ready an all time legend and i'd be shocked if he didn't improve City massively in the 3 or so years he'll spend there. Look at the impact he's already had on Sterling for instance.

I didn't say Pep wasn't a brilliant manager. However I wouldn't point to his time in Bayern as evidence of that brilliance given it was for that time a one horse race.

Also, for my money, what Jose has done with 4 clubs is more impressive than what Pep has done with two.

Mourinho's achievements beat Pep's to be fair. Could Mourinho have won 2 CLs with the best club side of all time, yes without a doubt for me, could Pep have won a CL with Inter and Porto? Not a chance imo

Pep is someone you plonk into a club when everything is running smoothly and he can keep it running efficiently, a safe pair of hands, Mourinho is a manager you put in any club and situation and he'll find a way to be successful.

Mourinho's achievements beat Pep's to be fair. Could Mourinho have won 2 CLs with the best club side of all time, yes without a doubt for me, could Pep have won a CL with Inter and Porto? Not a chance imo

Pep is someone you plonk into a club when everything is running smoothly and he can keep it running efficiently, a safe pair of hands, Mourinho is a manager you put in any club and situation and he'll find a way to be successful.

Even with all their money, if Pep manages to make City as dominant in England as either of his other two clubs were then that will be his biggest achievement. Given we're told the PL is a weaker league then that should be easy for "the greatest manager of his generation" with unlimited resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lmfao at this post.

Certainly didn't fail anyway, whatever way anyone looks at it.

I'd give him par. He achieved what was expected (in fine fashion), but not what was hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would say Jose has had very little criticism of his treatment of Schweinsteiger, its not exactly a story that created many editorials. (Probably why Bastion kept releasing his passive aggressive "I'll continue to train hard" social media things, hoping to shine a light on the issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Been away for the last two days and was afraid the pages would be a debate on he who shall not be named was pleasantly surprised there wasn't any real mention!

Really looking forward to the Derby now. Rashford has to start. I can see Martial being dropped and Rashford given a go on the left, be interesting if so how it works.

Can't wait to see how it goes. I'm expecting some touchline shenanigans with Mourinho and Guardiola!

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    No, the fact that I have watched him play in the PL since 2012 where he has been streaky (at best) makes me think there are better options for France. I didn't say he was bad, I said there were better options. Of course that's subjective, but someone would have an amazingly hard time to convince me otherwise on current evidence.

Plus, the rest of your post doesn't make sense to me at all. Does that mean that Ozil is crap? Sanchez is sh*te? Ramsey - total bollocks too? Was Van Persie being heralded as a poor signing for United? Was Fabregas useless when he left for Barcelona?

The measure of a player is from watching him play. Winning a league doesn't transform them from crap to brilliant (in any reasonable persons head).

They have been lacking a top striker for a long time, van Persia was class but he was too injury prone. Giroud is good, but they will never win a league with him as main striker.

Benzema would be the no1 striker for France but we all know why he is not in the squad, so Giroud is next best for the game France like to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Why didnt he win with Real ?Should have been a walk in the park compared to Inter or Porto

Pep doesn't know how to set his teams up to defend in big games. I think if we really go at City we will win with a 2 goal margin

Why didnt he win with Real ?Should have been a walk in the park compared to Inter or Porto

That's exactly how football works isn't it. :rolleyes:

Well he won one league title out of 3 against arguably the best club side ever I wouldn't count that as not winning?

He brought them to 3 consecutive semi finals, further than they had gotten in 8 years before his arrival, and was beaten by the eventual winners twice,

His timing with Madrid was unlucky, any other period with Madrid he would have cleaned up trophies, being against the best club side of all time hindered him just a little you'd think.

2 trophies in 3 seasons is probably the best anyone could have done under the conditions.

• Advertisement

Well he won one league title out of 3 against arguably the best club side ever I wouldn't count that as not winning?

Talking about the Champion League.My point being that just because he didnt win with Real or even Chelsea doesnt take away from how good a manager he is.Which same goes for Pep.

Talking about the Champion League.My point being that just because he didnt win with Real or even Chelsea doesnt take away from how good a manager he is.Which same goes for Pep.

No, but him winning it with two weaker teams is a sign of a better manager.

Not many will truly believe pep is not a great manager of course he is two of them are up there at the top I think jose has the experience advantage of winning in English football already but that's it.

The thing with pep is his greatest achievement in football is changing a clubs style and continuously winning yes he had the best team in the world at Barca but he drastically changed how they played to get the best from them.

His achievements at bayern will be overlooked because of where he did it and completion was none existent because they can continously take the best talent from their rivals so of course he is going to win.

This year it's going to be tough for both of them but if United or City go on to win the league which I think one of them will then the winning manager will have truly earned the right to be the best there is no excuses both teams are probably closest matched talent wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I highly doubt many fans on this thread would have said Jose was a better manager than Pep this time last year. In fact my recollection is that the majority of fans wanted Pep to be the new United manager over Jose.

Not many will truly believe pep is not a great manager of course he is two of them are up there at the top I think jose has the experience advantage of winning in English football already but that's it.

The thing with pep is his greatest achievement in football is changing a clubs style and continuously winning yes he had the best team in the world at Barca but he drastically changed how they played to get the best from them.

His achievements at bayern will be overlooked because of where he did it and completion was none existent because they can continously take the best talent from their rivals so of course he is going to win.

This year it's going to be tough for both of them but if United or City go on to win the league which I think one of them will then the winning manager will have truly earned the right to be the best there is no excuses both teams are probably closest matched talent wise.

One year is a small sample,Jose does have an edge,but I think it would have be best judged over the 3 years.
    This one match isnt going to be the be all and end all but there will be braggin rights.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement