Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

adox wrote: »
    That's the first 90 minutes I've seen City play under Pep and I'm amazed how quickly he has them looking like a Pep team.

Further ahead than Jose at stamping his style on his team.

City played like this before but Pep has added a cutting edge to their keep ball game.He has them working harder alright,but in fairness dropping Toure and getting rid of Nasri helped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you could do a midfield three of.
    Striker
    Winger
    Winger
    Pogba - Herrera
    Fellaini

That's what a lot of people would like I'm sure. Pogba and Rooney directly competing for a starting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

How much did Pogba cost again ? Juventus will be having a right chuckle now after witnessing his performance. Is one of the most overrated players in world football. City were superb, and if they can keep Aguero,fit they will win the league at a canter. Im still confident though Jose can get us a top 4 spot. Biggest club in Manchester yes,but the best no and its been that way since SAF retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Pro. F wrote: »
    He got one yellow and you're pretending like that is an issue. It wasn't.

If you re-read my post, I said it wasn't a big issue. The big issue is that his form has been poor recently.

The poor form seems to be continuing, and it seems more and more likely that Rooney isn't up to such a high standard anymore. It's not just a slump in his performance. As countless others have said, as a 10 he pales in comparison to De Brunye.

Striker
    Winger
    Winger
    Pogba - Herrera
    Fellaini

Rooney becomes the problem there,Zlatan will play and Martial and Rashford will provide pace at either side but Rooney would need to be dropped for that to happen and we all know Rooney is undroppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bret Hart wrote: »
    How much did Pogba cost again ? Juventus will be having a right chuckle now after witnessing his performance. Is one of the most overrated players in world football. City were superb, and if they can keep Aguero,fit they will win the league at a canter. Im still confident though Jose can get us a top 4 spot.

Oversimplistic. Juve of course knew what they had with Pogba and treasured him. Only a mad bid like Utd made would prise him away.

I may have posted something like the above at the final whistle in the heat of the moment(bar the Pogba stuff) but it's very early days and one swallow doesn't make a summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Don't want to get into semantics, our right side of defense was targeted in the first half, from what i was seeing and from the commentary. And why not, a rw player playing rb the logic here is theres a weakness within our defense. For me it was a targeted offence form pep to create doubt throughout the back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

How much did Pogba cost again ? Juventus will be having a right chuckle now after witnessing his performance. Is one of the most overrated players in world football. City were superb, and if they can keep Aguero,fit they will win the league at a canter. Im still confident though Jose can get us a top 4 spot. Biggest club in Manchester yes,but the best no and its been that way since SAF retired.

Juve blew most of the Pogba money on Higuain. They have no right to chuckle at anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Striker
    Winger
    Winger
    Pogba - Herrera
    Fellaini

For the return game, a 4-3-3 please as you have.

Notorious wrote: »
    If you re-read my post, I said it wasn't a big issue.

You said it wasn't a "massive issue." It's not any sort of issue.

And in your original post you didn't say anything about it not being a big issue.
    Notorious wrote: »
    The big issue is that his form has been poor recently.

The poor form seems to be continuing, and it seems more and more likely that Rooney isn't up to such a high standard anymore. It's not just a slump in his performance. As countless others have said, as a 10 he pales in comparison to De Brunye.

His form hasn't been poor recently. If you didn't go inventing things to criticise him about then you might see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Juve blew most of the Pogba money on Higuain. They have no right to chuckle at anyone.

The best striker in the league?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    Rooney becomes the problem there,Zlatan will play and Martial and Rashford will provide pace at either side but Rooney would need to be dropped for that to happen and we all know Rooney is undroppable.

Oh, I know. And thats really the biggest issue we have at the moment. You have Zlatan, Rooney and Pogba in a squad where they should be competing for two spaces but instead all three are being put into the team.

user2011 wrote: »
    Don't want to get into semantics, our right side of defense was targeted in the first half, from what i was seeing and from the commentary. And why not, a rw player playing rb the logic here is theres a weakness within our defense. For me it was a targeted offence form pep to create doubt throughout the back line.

You shouldn't pay heed to what the commentary says 99% of the time. Our right side was not targeted.

You shouldn't pay heed to what the commentary says 99% of the time. Our right side was not targeted.

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/774601524471275520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Zlat
    Martial
    Miki
    Pogba - Herrera
    Fellaini

I think thats the best available.Miki had a nightmare game but I have seen enough of him to know he can be a serious player for United.Rashford will still get plenty of game and can play in any of the front 3 positions.
    Rooney becomes the problem then,is he undroppable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah his career will rated on this one game :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Thought we were decent today. Mourinho got the first half wrong but City were hanging on at the end. Still not enough pace in the front four, different proposition when we had Rashford and Martial on.

Read about Pep's positional play. He attacks and compresses the play on one side to create chances on the other. Sterling is being set up by that play to have better opportunities of running at the defenders on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agreed.

Sterling was the primary target for the first 15-20 minutes and Shaw was lucky to get away with a few lapses in concentration. Valencias side saw a lot of traffic and he did well defensively.

Saying pep targeted Valencia because he knows he is not full back material is completely unfounded.

• Advertisement

Read about Pep's positional play. He attacks and compresses the play on one side to create chances on the other. Sterling is being set up by that play to have better opportunities of running at the defenders on his side.

I don't need to read about it,I was watching the game today,City very rarely switched the play,they overloaded one side and got a lot of joy out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Any fantasy / potential / what-if formations and lineups need to be instantly disregarded if Rashford isn't in them. It's absolutely mind boggling that he isn't starting. He's taken every opportunity he's been given and has excelled in all situations. There is more excitement when the ball is at his feet then any other player in the team. He is both contributing to open play and supplying end product in abundance. I just can't get my head around him not being the first name on the team sheet when selecting attacking players.

Any fantasy / potential / what-if formations and lineups need to be instantly disregarded of Rashford isn't in them. It's absolutely mind boggling that he isn't starting.

I think José found out a lot today about some players. I'd expect Rashford to be a first teamer now for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think José found out a lot today about some players. I'd expect Rashford to be a first teamer now for sure.

You'd hope so at this stage on both counts! It's been long enough for some

Any fantasy / potential / what-if formations and lineups need to be instantly disregarded if Rashford isn't in them. It's absolutely mind boggling that he isn't starting. He's taken every opportunity he's been given and has excelled in all situations. There is more excitement when the ball is at his feet then any other player in the team. He is both contributing to open play and supplying end product in abundance. I just can't get my head around him not being the first name on the team sheet when selecting attacking players.

For me, it's that I see him as a striker, not a winger, and he doesn't get the nod ahead of Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Last minute winner for Arsenal. Looks like one of those weekends. Expect a Liverpool win and Chelsea to sweep aside whatever dross they're playing tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

cant wait for europa league and league cup to start so other players can get up to speed and then the whole squad becomes better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I thought Rooney played fairly well today, certainly not the worst.

But for the team looking ahead i would bench him.

Id go with something like.....

*DDG*
    Valencia-*Bailly*-Smalling-Shaw
    *Fellaini*
    *Pogba*-Herrera
    *Rashford*/Martial
    *Ibra*

Martial and Rashford can alternate which wing they play on.

Pogba will be more free in midfield to go forward with Herrera there.

I have put ** around the players who i think are undroppable.

What do ye think?
    (Thats my plan for FM anyway)

I don't need to read about it,I was watching the game today,City very rarely switched the play,they overloaded one side and got a lot of joy out of it.

Positional play doesn't just look to switch the play with direct passes. You can use diagonal dribbles and short passes too. Our midfield was split relatively wide, so the direct switches were limited, but then KDB got more room in the middle.

Disregarding the ideas of positional play when giving an opinion on what Pep's team were trying to do is daft.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I thought Rooney played fairly well today, certainly not the worst.

But for the team looking ahead i would bench him.

Id go with something like.....

*DDG*
    Valencia-*Bailly*-Smalling-Shaw
    *Fellaini*
    *Pogba*-Herrera
    *Rashford*/Martial
    *Ibra*

Martial and Rashford can alternate which wing they play on.

Pogba will be more free in midfield to go forward with Herrera there.

I have put ** around the players who i think are undroppable.

What do ye think?
    (Thats my plan for FM anyway)

Not sure about Ibrahimovich and Fellaini being undroppable. Wouldn't mind seeing one of Rashford or Martial start up front with the other + Mkhitaryan on the wings. Serious pace across the front 3 then.

Positional play doesn't just look to switch the play with direct passes. You can use diagonal dribbles and short passes too. Our midfield was split relatively wide, so the direct switches were limited, but then KDB got more room in the middle.

Disregarding the ideas of positional play when giving an opinion on what Pep's team were trying to do is daft.

You managed to disregard facts and stats of which you are so happy to use to make an argument and then balls it up by using complete waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Working out pretty well so far. Scores the winner on his debut. Has them 2 up at the moment. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ibrahimovich

Some combo of Zlatan and Roman?

Debil wrote: »
    Working out pretty well so far. Scores the winner on his debut. Has them 2 up at the moment. Idiots.

In a league they'll walk regardless. He won't make them a better side in Europe, and has only 2 or 3 years left at the top.

You managed to disregard facts and stats of which you are so happy to use to make an argument and then balls it up by using complete waffle.

What stats did I disregard?

Stats require interpretation. Your interpretation of the evidence is nonsense because you don't have a notion about Pep's tactics (waffle as you call it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

bangkok wrote: »
    cant wait for europa league and league cup to start so other players can get up to speed and then the whole squad becomes better

Same! I feel this period is going to be beneficial for the whole squad. There will be injuries and set backs and maybe even defeats here and there but overall this next month or so, we will truly see the depth of strength in this Jose squad.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing Memphis and Rashford.

What stats did I disregard?

Stats require interpretation. Your interpretation of the evidence is nonsense because you don't have a notion about Pep's tactics.

So you are the self appointed oracle on Pep and his tactics now? You used to be a half decent poster but now you just spout bollix and make stuff up just to suit your argument,in your opinion everybody else here are idiots and you are the only one who knows about football.
    Your pontificating is getting very,very tiresome.

In a league they'll walk regardless. He won't make them a better side in Europe, and has only 2 or 3 years left at the top.

His goals that are winning them games don't count?

Debil wrote: »
    His goals that are winning them games don't count?

Ok you're right. Higuain at €90m is great value. Strange how other clubs weren't lining up to sign a 28 year old at such a good price.

Ok you're right. Higuain at €90m is great value. Strange how other clubs weren't lining up to sign a 28 year old at such a good price.

Hard to line up at that price in fairness. Juve had the money. They paid it, and are now reaping the rewards.

So you are the self appointed oracle on Pep and his tactics now? You used to be a half decent poster but now you just spout bollix and make stuff up just to suit your argument..

You think I'm making up the idea that Pep uses position play and that that is how positional play works? Believe that if you want.

Is everybody who tells you something you haven't heard of before the "self appointed oracle" of that thing?
    ...in your opinion everybody else here are idiots and you are the only one who knows about football.
    Your pontificating is getting very,very tiresome.

Load of bollocks. I don't think everybody else here are idiots or that I am the only one who knows about football. I do think I know more about Pep's tactics than you.

• Advertisement

Load of bollocks. I don't think everybody else here are idiots.

You certainly carry on as if they are.

You certainly carry on as if they are.

Remember when you slagged me for reading books? That was funny.

Remember when you slagged me for reading books? That was funny.

I sure do as you took what was printed as gospel to validate some of your more outlandish notions and implied your reading of football books somehow made you more knowledgeable about football.
    I read books on the subject but don't use them to try to prove I'm some kind of genius on a soccer forum.I played the game but don't use that to put down other posters either.Perhaps you should climb down out of your ivory tower and admit when you are wrong sometimes,nobody will judge you for that.

I sure do as you took what was printed as gospel to validate some of your more outlandish notions and implied your reading of football books somehow made you more knowledgeable about football.
    I read books on the subject but don't use them to try to prove I'm some kind of genius on a soccer forum.I played the game but don't use that to put down other posters either.Perhaps you should climb down out of your ivory tower and admit when you are wrong sometimes,nobody will judge you for that.

And again you are just lying about what I have done. Good debating technique. Very productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

thur night would like to see.....

...................romero......................

fosu mensah.....smalling
    rojo----darmian

carrick
    schneiderlain

lingard
    herrera
    depay

rashford

Edit: Fùck it.

Pro and Zerks, if you two want to spout off at each other, take it to PMs. Discussing personal debating techniques and what ye think of each other does nothing but disrupt the thread, so get over yourselves and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

That's why i said first from what i was seeing, with the back up from the commentary. Our right right side was targeted. He came good in the end but we were 2 down by that stage city were looked very comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So we all hate clattenberg yeah? Some clown in the match thread had a go at me saying that he'd trust a pro ref to know the rules better than me. He clearly thinks refs are infallible or never bow to pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jayop wrote: »
    So we all hate clattenberg yeah? Some clown in the match thread had a go at me saying that he'd trust a pro ref to know the rules better than me. He clearly thinks refs are infallible or never bow to pressure.

Id edit that to take out the reference, but yeah i get where your coming from, it was over the Bravo incident too wasn't it.. Thought it was a sure Red!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement