Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bangkok wrote: »

I think we could see it soon. Herrera in there as well, mkhitarayan, Ibra and one of martial or rashford ahead

I hope so. I think every player should be given clean bill after last season. Let's see what Morgan and Depay have got

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    You didn't quote the whole sentence.

This is the whole sentence:
    Relevant bit that you failed to quote highlighted.

viewpost.gif Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goals at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team.

Now let's break it down:

Rooney is scoring goals at a rate of 0.25 per 90 minutes. <This is correct
    Rooney is scoring goal at a rate of 0.25 per 90 minutes. <This is incorrect

Basic English.

Now you have the ability to predict how other players would preform in our team? This is your argument? an impossible to know our prove, hypothetical situation? Ha, what else can your crystal ball tell us? you just don't like being corrected and of that list of ten players you were referring to not one of them has an identical amount of games to goals as Rooney so far, not one. So your foolproof theory is just pure guess work.

Oh and yes you can expect people to call you out in your Ivory tower, especially when you act like the fact police around here and constantly call people out on what they do or don't know.

Earlier you called posters out in the Rooney debate as not understanding basics, another you told he doesn't not watch De Bruyne as he claims, again your physic abilites in action, I mean the sheer arrogance of thinking you know what someone does away from the thread.

Your constanly passive aggressive, confrontaional, patronising and often you drag the littlest point into pages of an argument to the point that the mods have to step in to stop you dragging down thread.

So yeah when you display that "type" of posting style you'd better have your facts right or expect to be called out on it and in this case you clearly didn't about Rooney, the English language or your magic ability to predict how others would preform in our team when none out of the ten players have a record matching Rooneys so far.

Your just to stubborn to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I'm not putting anything to rights but the way you speak down to people makes your posting style very irritating. You have no God given right to call people dumb or mock their opinions because they don't match yours.

You would swear you were sir Alex himself the way you go on.

You are wrong about Wayne Rooney as well. He needs to be dropped and the team changed to a 433.

I do not give a fùck if my posting style annoys you. You have made it clear what you think about my posting style before. Now you need to get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hope so. I think every player should be given clean bill after last season. Let's see what Morgan and Depay have got

I'm sure we will see both Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing a few players acytually and rashford starting up front hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney.

Plays as a Rooney for Rooneychester United.

• Advertisement

I'm sure we will see both Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing a few players acytually and rashford starting up front hopefully

Ya and hopefully Mensah plays part too. Was very impressed with him last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hope we see some new faces Thursday night too but, my predication is that Fellaini and Pogba will play most if not all the league games up until at least Christmas.
    Jose has shown on the past that he doesn't tinker with starting line ups too much, especially in the spine of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Can I make a suggestion? Ignore whoever you feel needs to be ignored. I for one will be again after recent posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I do not give a fùck if my posting style annoys you. You have made it clear what you think about my posting style before. Now you need to get over it.

Why should I get over it? You seem to like to belittle people all the time and assert yourself as an authority on everything football related.

So until I break the charter you can put me on ignore or you can read what I have to say. It's up you oracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The worst thing about the Rooney debate is the posters who are having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Majority of games I seen Morgan play he was the defensive midfielder and that is the position he was signed to play for united as well

Fair enough if you think that.. I disagree with the type of player you think he is.. not going to have a pointless back and forth over it.

I would though like to see how Herrera would get on sitting in a midfield 3 with Fellaini and Pogba.. Fellaini and Pogba playing as box to box players with Pogba having more freedom.. I think Herrera would have the discipline and energy for the role and would put himself about alot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Really looking forward to Thursday, more so just to see some squad rotation.

Be interesting to see Smalling and Jones partnering up again in the centre. Also Memphis given a chance. Hopefully Rashford starts.

I'm hoping players will be going out trying to make a claim for themselves which could lead to a good game.

Now you have the ability to predict how other players would preform in our team? This is your argument? an impossible to know our prove, hypothetical situation? Ha, what else can your crystal ball tell us? you just don't like being corrected and of that list of ten players you were referring to not one of them has an identical amount of games to goals as Rooney so far, not one. So your foolproof theory is just pure guess work.

Oh and yes you can expect people to call you out in your Ivory tower, especially when you act like the fact police around here and constantly call people out on what they do or don't know.

Earlier you called posters out in the Rooney debate as not understanding basics, another you told he doesn't not watch De Bruyne as he claims, again your physic abilites in action, I mean the sheer arrogance of thinking you know what someone does away from the thread.

Your constanly passive aggressive, confrontaional, patronising and often you drag the littlest point into pages of an argument to the point that the mods have to step in to stop you dragging down thread.

So yeah when you display that "type" of posting style you'd better have your facts right or expect to be called out on it and [...] or your magic ability to predict how others would preform in our team when none out of the ten players have a record matching Rooneys so far.

Your just to stubborn to admit it.

We were discussing my use of the word "goals" rather than "goal." All of this post - except for the next quote, which I extracted - is full of new and different arguments from the one that was under discussion. The first argument, about my use of the word "goals," hasn't been dealt with yet.
    in this case you clearly didn't about Rooney, the English language

The word "goals" was correct in the sentence I wrote, because I was referring to the goal scoring rate.

Once again:
    Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goals at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team.
    The use of the word "goals" in this sentence was correct.

Your criticism of the use of the word "goals" in that sentence was wrong. You tried to be smart about the use of a plural in my post. You tried and you failed.

This thread takes it out of ya sometimes

Tired-GIF.gif?gs=a

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Why should I get over it? You seem to like to belittle people all the time and assert yourself as an authority on everything football related.

So until I break the charter you can put me on ignore or you can read what I have to say. It's up you oracle.

Cool. Don't get over it. Be annoyed by my posts. Whatever makes you happy. Or annoyed.

You didn't quote the whole sentence.

This is the whole sentence:

Now let's break it down:

Basic English.

Actually I didn't give this tripe enough time in my last post, its a cringeworthy attempt to spin words to defend a silly point. As someone who says stats are misleading and hates people moving the goal posts this is especially bad from you.

Our discussion was about Rooneys goal tally or lack of it, now its about the English language, I guess goal post moving is only ok when your getting a simple error pointed out to you.

"Rooney is scoring goals at a rate of 0.25 per 90 minutes. <This is correct"

No its not correct. Its a play on words. Ronney has a goal. No more, and you can't score a 0.25 goal or whatever the hell that is.

In the real world a goal = 1, no more or less.

When your wrong you'll happily talk imaginary situations in imaginary worlds where you can predict how other players will preform in our team and the magic ability to score 1/4 of a goal.

Also sorry if posted already but just heard we became the first UK club to earn over half a billion in a single year. It's mad to think that is the amount of money being generated by the club now.

Some great work being done in terms of advertisements, sponsorship and promotion of the club.

Hopefully it can lead to us bringing in Griezmann ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ffs about two posts away from unfollowing the thread. petty childish mickey measuring. nobody wants to read it lads

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Also sorry if posted already but just heard we became the first UK club to earn over half a billion in a single year. It's mad to think that is the amount of money being generated by the club now.

Some great work being done in terms of advertisements, sponsorship and promotion of the club.

Hopefully it can lead to us bringing in Griezmann ;)
    that would be an immense signing.

things in our favour- pogba, martial and morgan.. the frenchies could lure antoinne

Actually I didn't give this tripe enough time in my last post, its a cringeworthy attempt to spin words to defend a silly point. As someone who says stats are misleading and hates people moving the goal posts this is especially bad from you.

Our discussion was about Rooneys goal tally or lack of it,

No we were not. You quoted a post of mine where I was talking about Rooney's goal scoring rate, not his goal tally. You can tell I was talking about Rooney's goal scoring rate because of the words I used:

"Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goals at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team."

If I had written that sentence like this:
    "Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goal at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team."

It would have been grammatically incorrect. To take issue at the use of a plural when somebody was talking about the rate at which something is happening is nonsense. That is the way the language works.
    ...now its about the English language, I guess goal post moving is only ok when your getting a simple error pointed out to you.

"Rooney is scoring goals at a rate of 0.25 per 90 minutes. <This is correct"

No its not correct. Its a play on words. Ronney has a goal. No more, and you can't score a 0.25 goal or whatever the hell that is.

In the real world a goal = 1, no more or less.

When your wrong you'll happily talk imaginary situations in imaginary worlds where you can predict how other players will preform in our team and the magic ability to score 1/4 of a goal.

It became about the English language when you decided to call me up incorrectly on the use of a plural.

In the real world people can understand that it is okay to use the plural form of the word when you are talking about the rate at which something is happening. In the real world people can understand the concept of the rate at which something happens not being a whole number.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming adnan didn't get a kick tonight?

Nalz wrote: »

Looks like he got 90 mins. Didnt see the game though.

Did not see second of it, but by my twitter feed he was brutal.

What's new ;)

If I had written that sentence like this:
    "Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goal at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team."

In the real world people can understand that it is okay to use the plural form of the word when you are talking about the rate at which something happens. In the real world people can understand the concept of a rate at which something happens not being a whole number.

Oh man you'll say anything, you go from an expert on the English lanaguage to not having any other way to word your setence other than

Either your playing dumb or to inarticualte to realise you could have said
    "Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scored a goal, currently thats a rate I think at least as good as any of those would do."

I'll grant you I don't think your dumb enough not to be able to do something so basic, so a stubborn silly point is what we get instead it is then.This goes back to your willingness to flog an argument to death and as others are already getting tired of this it will be the last I'll talk to you about Rooney's "goal rate" so far under Jose. I'm not going to go on for pages anymore than it already has, thats your thing and your constantly invovled it the majority of those types of arguments which are tiresome and a drag on the thread.
    As for rates, football is full of great stats, and some silly ones. Rooneys goal rate is a rubbish spin. Rooney had one goal so far under Jose. Thats one in four games, not 0.25 in anything. You don't get to takes a knife to one goal and split it up over four games, its one goal he scored in a game.

They give out goal scoring awards and golden boots on the amount of "actual" goals scored and not rates. Thats why you'll never see a player who gets 3 goals in their first games and get injured for the rest of the season (a rate of 3 goals a game) given the award over a players who scores 20 over a season because rates are not important as actual goals.
    But hey, enjoy having the last word I think I'll get me some sleep.

Oh man you'll say anything, you go from an expert on the English lanaguage to not having any other way to word your setence other than

"Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scored a goal, currently thats a rate I think at least as good as any of those would do."

I never said or implied that I had no other way to word the sentence. I could have worded it like you have here. I could have worded it in many ways. I worded like this:
    "Rooney, so far under Jose, is creating chances, getting shots and scoring goals at a rate at least as good as any of those would in this team."

That wording was accurate, clear and grammatically correct. You took issue with the use of a plural in that sentence. The issue you took ignores how the English language works when we talk about the rate at which things happen.
    As for rates, football is full of great stats, and some silly ones. Rooneys goal rate is a rubbish spin. Rooney had one goal so far under Jose. Thats one in four games, not 0.25 in anything. You don't get to takes a knife to one goal and split it up over four games, its one goal he scored in a game.

A rate of one in four games is the same as a rate of 0.25 per game. One goal in four games is a goal scoring rate of 0.25 goals per game. This is obviously true. This is basic maths.
    They give out goal scoring awards and golden boots on the amount of "actual" goals scored and not rates. Thats why you'll never see a player who gets 3 goals in their first games and get injured for the rest of the season (a rate of 3 goals a game) given the award over a players who scores 20 over a season because rates are not important as actual goals.
    But hey, enjoy the having the last word.

Goal scoring awards are not relevant to this conversation.

Seriously. This thread is becoming a joke.

I AM YET TO BLOCK SOMEONE ON BOARDS BUT **** ME THIS GUY IS TESTING MY RESOLVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll grant you I don't think your dumb enough not to be able to do something so basic, so a stubborn silly point is what we get instead it is then.This goes back to your willingness to flog an argument to death and as others are already getting tired of this it will be the last I'll talk to you about Rooney's "goal rate" so far under Jose. I'm not going to go on for pages anymore than it already has, thats your thing and your constantly invovled it the majority of those types of arguments which are tiresome and a drag on the thread.

But hey, enjoy having the last word I think I'll get me some sleep.
    You should check out this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642233
    It was set up to protect this thread. It's all about Wayne Rooney

adox wrote: »
    Just seem that Lukaku scored. Guy in work told me earlier that a friend of his did a free Paddy Power bet at the weekend picking 8 anytime goal scorers.

7 of them came up at the weekend and he was waiting on Lukaku to make it a straight 8! Said there was a six figure sum riding on it.

Fair play to him, not saying it's this particular prize but ...
    https://hotshotjackpot.paddypower.com/prizes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Id love to have an ignore button for "inane drivel" or "pointless circular arguments"
    I'd be very hesitant about putting someone on ignore as that’s really only for trolls which none of these lads are. But for **** sake could they please cut it out with this needless back and forth ****e talk

How many goals do people think Ibrahimovic will score this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

How many goals do people think Ibrahimovic will score this season?

20-25

Shouldn't be too hard given the start he's had.

20-25

You reckon he'll play 50% + of our Europa and league cup games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

20-25

He'll do that in the league, overall probably somewhere around 33.

You reckon he'll play 50% + of our Europa and league cup games?

Hard to say, squad is huge and Jose himself said he needs those competitions to let others play. If the team get to the latter stages of all cup competitions imo he`ll be played more in those. I think he's capable of a goal every 2 games.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

Be very surprised if he scored more than 30, surprised but not unhappy. :)

eagle eye wrote: »

Wow that would be impressive... But not impossible for Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jesus the bickering here would make the sane look to reddit.

No need to bring up a City player, and I couldn't give a crap if he uses reddit, typical Dark Knight posting this crap ...

Be interesting to see the response next week now.

It's first mini test in season now after disappointing week.

I have to say I'm loving the overreaction from some and comments about Pogba.

United management and players are one of the few who seem to have to get off to unreal start or its doom and gloom. Look At Zlatan, 3 goals in 4 games and some quarters are questioning him.

Can we use the "it's still a LVG team" I wonder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Be interesting to see the response next week now.

It's first mini test in season now after disappointing week.

I have to say I'm loving the overreaction from some and comments about Pogba.

United management and players are one of the few who seem to have to get off to unreal start or its doom and gloom. Look At Zlatan, 3 goals in 4 games and some quarters are questioning him.

Can we use the "it's still a LVG team" I wonder ;)

Zlatan is actually 4 goals in 4 games he is flying it. And Yeh you made a great point people saying it's meltdown because we lost a game we should of drawn while other managers need 10 months to make it their team.

I'm not worried by the loss it was more positive the way we turned it around after they got two and improved in second half with a change off tactic.

If it was this time last year we would of continued in the same shape and just lumped balls forward to fellaini for the last half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

@kew and jayo
    Zlatan 4 in 5 I think
    1 in CS and 3 in league..
    Wish we'd someone playing so badly and do uninvolved last season but who was still sticking it in the onion sack
    #ggmu
    Think Jose night rest a few for thursday.
    Watford game is On BT on Sunday, bring it on.

@kew and jayo
    Zlatan 4 in 5 I think
    1 in CS and 3 in league..
    Wish we'd someone playing so badly and do uninvolved last season but who was still sticking it in the onion sack
    #ggmu
    Think Jose night rest a few for thursday.
    Watford game is On BT on Sunday, bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Surely you meant to to say: I HAVE YET To block...... whilst we are on the English language debate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

brinty wrote:
    @kew and jayo Zlatan 4 in 5 I think 1 in CS and 3 in league.. Wish we'd someone playing so badly and do uninvolved last season but who was still sticking it in the onion sack #ggmu Think Jose night rest a few for thursday. Watford game is On BT on Sunday, bring it on.

Pretty sure it's 4 in 4 in the league for Zlatan so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

jaykay74 wrote: »

It is he scored in opening game and scored two against Southampton. Brinty is away with fairies ;) it's 5 in 5 if you count cs.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    jayo26 wrote: »
    It is he scored in opening game and scored two against Southampton. Brinty is away with fairies ;) it's 5 in 5 if you count cs.

Sorry lads,
    You are factually correct... but statistically!!!!!
    please forgive my ignorance of Zlatan getting 2 v southampton
    i was high as a kite on the drugs in hospital ;)

• Rumors of Herrera and Rashford to start against Feyenoord

I'd like to See Fellani & Herrera in behind Pogba as #10

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumors of Herrera and Rashford to start against Feyenoord

At the risk of raisng the ire of everyone, keep playing rooney. He needs games to get his form to the right levels... then he'll score loads in a row !!!!! :eek:

runs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumors of Herrera and Rashford to start against Feyenoord

Pogba in Europa league?? These are the games for the likes of depay, Ashley Young, carrick, rojo, smalling Jones etc

Watford Sunday at 12 is a much bigger game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

brinty wrote: »
    At the risk of raisng the ire of everyone, keep playing rooney. He needs games to get his form to the right levels... then he'll score loads in a row !!!!! :eek:

runs....

When was the last time that Rooney missed games? Was it back around February last year?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement