Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Carragher ripping into Pogba on MNF. Says he actually felt awful sorry for Fellaini. Had no support in centre mid at all.

Hard to disagree with him on the clips he showed. Looked like Pogba wasn't suited to two in midfield at all.

I would say Carragher got his points very wrong. The very first clip he was surprised as Pogba was making run to left wing position but Jose said to bypass the midfield and support the attack.
    "Back-passes, first-station passes, from Bailly to (Marouane) Fellaini, from Blind to (Paul) Pogba. We lost the ball in these kinds of positions.

What I told them at half-time was that for some of you, it looks like you are trying to do what I told you not to do," said Mourinho. "I told Bailly 20 times, never play a first-station ball. Never. Because this is where they want to press. He did it 20 times during the game.

So Pogba was joining the attack to win the aerial duels and support Zlatan.

Very surprising how way off the point Carragher was and how people just accepted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I would say Carragher got his points very wrong. The very first clip he was surprised as Pogba was making run to left wing position but Jose said to bypass the midfield and support the attack.

So Pogba was joining the attack to win the aerial duels and support Zlatan.

Very surprising how way off the point Carragher was and how people just accepted it.

He's an awful pundit tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/776044504075890688

No Rooney, Shaw, Valencia, and Lingard in @ManUtd travelling squad. Mkhitaryan and Jones also missing.

Rooney and Val being rested.

Shaw being protected.

Lingard kinda dropped

Mkhitaryan injured.

Jones is always injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Carragher made a convincing case with the video he used. But then it shouldn't be hard to make a convincing case with all the resources he has access to. And you just can't trust him. Tbh I'd forgotten that Jose had said that thing about first station passes, as he called them, but I strongly suspected that I shouldn't trust Carragher's analysis, because he's always messing up somehow. It's not at all surprising that he left out such an important bit of information in his analysis.

He probably will have been paid tens of thousands for that analysis. He should send it all to Giggsy11.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pro. F wrote: »
    Carragher made a convincing case with the video he used. But then it shouldn't be hard to make a convincing case with all the resources he has access to. And you just can't trust him. Tbh I'd forgotten that Jose had said that thing about first station passes, as he called them, but I strongly suspected that I shouldn't trust Carragher's analysis, because he's always messing up somehow. It's not at all surprising that he left out such an important bit of information in his analysis.

He probably will have been paid tens of thousands for that analysis. He should send it all to Giggsy11.

Thanks mate. Converting Pounds to INR, I would be bloody rich.

Like you said, taking few videos in isolation you can make any point. When I started watching I was not convinced when he used the first clip and said "I'm not saying he shouldn't make the run (diagonal run to left wing position, it was full open) but in the first 8 mins in the derby.....", like it makes any difference. Space is a space and if you are intelligent player you should make use of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Phil Jones is the biggest joke at United.
    He plays and not long after is injured.
    He doesn't play and gets inujured.

Hope he is sold in the next 12 months if anyone wants him. He is our chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

RobertKK wrote: »
    Phil Jones is the biggest joke at United.
    He plays and not long after is injured.
    He doesn't play and gets inujured.

Hope he is sold in the next 12 months if anyone wants him. He is our chocolate teapot.

At least chocolate teapots are aesthetically pleasing......and potentially delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It's a bit small time to be wishing and hoping that a cancelled game in a competition that United aren't even in will disrupt City's league form.

It's the way some fans see the club these days. A Cup team with untouchable heroes and an acceptance of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/776044504075890688

No Rooney, Shaw, Valencia, and Lingard in @ManUtd travelling squad. Mkhitaryan and Jones also missing.

Rooney and Val being rested.

Shaw being protected.

Lingard kinda dropped

Mkhitaryan injured.

Jones is always injured.

pb8sxfF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is meant by the phrase first station passes and why are they so wrong. My reading is that they are CB to CM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is meant by the phrase first station passes and why are they so wrong. My reading is that they are CB to CM!

Would seem that way alight - think it is a case of Mourinho wanting to bypass the press from the City midfield by moving the ball more directly from defense into the attacking zone, rather than a deep midfielder receiving it under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Would seem that way alight - think it is a case of Mourinho wanting to bypass the press from the City midfield by moving the ball more directly from defense into the attacking zone, rather than a deep midfielder receiving it under pressure.

Is one of Pogba's strengths not his ability to beat an opposition player attempting to press him and hence breaking this line?
    High element of risk I know but I'm sure he knows when he can attempt it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Playing the ball from CB to CM is fine when the rest of the team is also playing with this interaction in mind. i.e. one or both full backs showing as an option, the other CB pulling out wider to act as another option etc if the CM in possession is pressed and can't turn on the ball to look upfield.

But if Mourinho had told the CB's not to play this ball then presumably he had told the other players to be already moving into a different position when a CB is in possession in order to support the expected longer pass. Thus, they would not have been in a position to receive the ball from a deeper CM which would help construct an attack in a meaningful way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Trond wrote: »
    pb8sxfF.gif

New favorite gif, will be stealing this loads <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Has it actually been confirmed that Jones is injured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

KH25 wrote: »
    Has it actually been confirmed that Jones is injured?

Yeah. lateral knee ligament damage. Out for a month, according to Jose at the press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. lateral knee ligament damage. Out for a month, according to Jose at the press conference.

Right I've now lost all hope for him.

Lord TSC wrote: »

HOW?!?!?!?!?!?

He is our own Wilshere/sturidge. Made of wheetabix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He's done, end of story. All the potential in the world isn't worth a damn if you aren't reliable and Phil Jones simply isn't reliable, how many times are we going to keep hearing this same story?

Finally comes a game where its valid to change the team and give him a go and yet again he can't make it onto the field. There is no point any more, even if he did get a run and play well how can we trust that come some crunch knockout game where we need to be full strength, that he wouldn't break down on the eve of the game and leave us scrambling.

Its a shame but we need to think bigger than unreliable potential and so Phil Jones needs to be moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Time for the club to cut their losses on Phil Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

After a long day away from all news said I'd pop my head in here while having my cup of tea.

Why does Phil Jones break my heart like this? Was looking forward to seeing how he was going to do, as someone who has been an avid fan of his over the years and defending him against all odds even I have to say this is taken the biscuit. The man is just plagued with injuries. As much as I like him and want him in the club I'd fully understand the club moving him on :(

It's a fúcker. I had great hopes for Phil, I haven't had them in a while though.

Whatever about the effect on us the fans, or the club, it must be so frustrating and worrying for the man himself. The years are passing by, the game is passing by, all the while it's just injure, recover, repeat for Phil.

I hope he can get some fitness going at some point and still have a good career, but I think it's past time on hoping for him to recover and become a regular player at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Sure who would actually pay money for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He's worth at least £50m, if we could structure the installments correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

On the bright side
    ... free up a bed in the physio shop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe it's all mind games by Jose and last minute Jones runs onto the pitch to send in a floating corner that seems to hang in the air for an eternity to which he races into the box and headers in himself?!

secman wrote: »
    On the bright side
    ... free up a bed in the physio shop:)

...and a serious amount of man hours from the physio/medical staff.

Edit: Sneaky tenner on Leicester for the CL??

The press conference for the Feyenoord match, with added Herrera goodness from about 18 minutes on...

I hope that Ander's appearance above, along with his performance last Saturday, means that he'll be starting tomorrow night.

On Feyenoord - They have a 100% start to the Eredivisie. They are currently top, with 5 wins from 5 and 15 goals scored overall. While our last game was on Saturday, they played on Sunday morning with a home win in the league to ADO Den Haag (3-1).

This won't be an easy fixture. Hopefully it won't be a bruiser though and the players come back uninjured. Of course I'd like to see a reaction from our lads for Saturday's loss and put a few past Feyenoord, but realistically we might be doing well with a draw here. The home team will score I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Will the match be on the telly tomorrow evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yea bt sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

stankratz wrote: »
    It's a fúcker. I had great hopes for Phil, I haven't had them in a while though.

Whatever about the effect on us the fans, or the club, it must be so frustrating and worrying for the man himself. The years are passing by, the game is passing by, all the while it's just injure, recover, repeat for Phil.

I hope he can get some fitness going at some point and still have a good career, but I think it's past time on hoping for him to recover and become a regular player at United.

Sure his 50k or so a week wages will help alleviate the frustration and worry

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sure his 50k or so a week wages will help alleviate the frustration and worry

Yeah, cause fúck your life's work and ambition once you have a few quid lying about the place. I'm sure Phil is in top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only realised just now where you got your nickname from :o it's a good one, too! and I'm definitely old enough to remember...

Eir Sport 2
    If you have satellite, highlights on ITV at 22:40

Scrap the cap!

Only 30,000 at the Emptyhad last night for a champions league match with Pep in charge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would have been more if not rescheduled. But still.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Only 30,000 at the Emptyhad last night for a champions league match with Pep in charge!

The hard core city fans haven't taken to the champions league at all and some would prefer not to be in it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

bangkok wrote: »
    The hard core city fans haven't taken to the champions league at all and some would prefer not to be in it!!!!

What evidence are you basing that statement on. I'm not saying your making it up but its very hyperbolic and I realise as UTD fans having a jab at City is natural but I imagine progressing and winning the UCL is as much every City fans dream as the supporter of any other club.

Lower attendances in the group stages against poorer clubs is not unusual at other clubs also.

What evidence are you basing that statement on. I'm not saying your making it up but its very hyperbolic and I realise as UTD fans having a jab at City is natural but I imagine progressing and winning the UCL is as much every City fans dream as the supporter of any other club.

Lower attendances in the group stages against poorer clubs is not unusual at other clubs also.

Wouldn't mind, their fans reason for being annoyed at UEFA is actually laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Maybe all the booing when they play the anthem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind, their fans reason for being annoyed at UEFA is actually laughable.

Isn't it because the Russians or Ukrainians sneaked in a few people to watch a game when it was ment to be behind closed doors of or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Isn't it because the Russians or Ukrainians sneaked in a few people to watch a game when it was ment to be behind closed doors of or something?

I thought I was do with the fine they got for breaching FFP

Edit: I stand corrected..

Double edit: was I right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

TheDoc wrote: »

The CSKA Moscow thing? As far as I know CSKA Moscow received a ban after some racist trouble and were ordered to play 3 games behind closed doors. At the time City were due to play them, UEFA offered no refund or compensation to the City fans who'd already paid for match tickets travel etc.

Then at the Ethihad CSKA fans who were supposed to be punished were able to get in, so the ban didn't punish them fully.

As sacrilegious as it sounds to stick up for City fans I'd be pretty pissed off too and lets face if it happened to UTD fans we would kick up a fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness United don't get full house every game either these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The 'not as flashy as a Champions League' match thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101051369#post101051369

City grief is due to the FFP penalty they were handed after breaching the rules. They received a fine and then had a squad place restricted.

The Moscow thing happened after as far as I remember. But it's the FFP thing that made them start booing the anthem.

It's that reaction that I find laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Funny considering that if they hadn't breached FFP rules they would never have gotten to the Champions League in the first place.

First of all attendances at games even against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona it's easy to get tickets to.

There was also an interview with Noel Gallagher. Hard core city fan, think it was with Gary Neville actually, he said a lot of the older city fans including himself and Ricky Hatton used to love going to Maine road, watching the team win the odd game, have the craic after the game and fans were close to the players. When they moved to the new stadium and the oil money came they lost all that, city are happy to play football every Saturday and they couldn't be bothered with champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    First of all attendances at games even against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona it's easy to get tickets to.

There was also an interview with Noel Gallagher. Hard core city fan, think it was with Gary Neville actually, he said a lot of the older city fans including himself and Ricky Hatton used to love going to Maine road, watching the team win the odd game, have the craic after the game and fans were close to the players. When they moved to the new stadium and the oil money came they lost all that, city are happy to play football every Saturday and they couldn't be bothered with champions league

I wouldn't tar all their fans over something Noel Gallagher says..

astradave wrote: »
    I wouldn't tar all their fans over something Noel Gallagher says..

Obviously not all, but a large percentage feel the same. Attendances prove that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement