Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bangkok wrote: »
    also to think we spent 16m on rojo and gave sporting lisbon Nani for the season for free.... the mind boggles

The issue with any transfer really.

If Rojo continued his trajectory and wasn't so disrupted by injury, maybe we would have a monster CB on our hands.

No transfer is risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I still think it's Woodwards fault so many of the players signed in the last three years have been rubbish. Apart from being clueless in the transfer market he's a jinx. The number of disastrous transfers under his watch defies the law of averages he must have a gypsy curse on him or something.

Korat wrote: »
    I still think it's Woodwards fault so many of the players signed in the last three years have been rubbish. Apart from being clueless in the transfer market he's a jinx. The number of disastrous transfers under his watch defies the law of averages he must have a gypsy curse on him or something.

Wouldn't have had much issue with the players at the time of signing. Nothing really stood out as a "what the ****". Martial for me because I didn't know who he was and £50m was pretty excessive.

Does make a part of me worry about Mhykitarian. Not based on his current form, but that he looks the most likely out of the four that might not work out (as forecasting as that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Depay must be sold in Jan. Absolute waste of talent by someone that doesn't want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would any of you have any worried about Pogba at this early stage. I know everybody says he needs time to settle, although it is not like many other foreign transfer as he already knew the club etc.

Given that Utd spent the best part of a year chasing him, why do they not already have a clear plan of how best to utilise him. To spend such a vast amount on an asset within 1st knowing what it use will be seems strange. Surely when they agreed to splash the cash they did so with a clear plan in mind.

So I guess its not Pogba I'm worried about, more the decisions by Utd that over the last few years do not seem to have any plan behind them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jayop wrote: »
    If that flew in he'd be getting massive praise but because he Mis-hit it he's getting slagged to the high heavens. The only thing he actually did badly imo was over hit the free kick near the end. It happens.

But he still doesn't deserve to be wearing the Number 7 jersey and on his back, it cheapens the history of the jersey imo. If you look back at my posts during the summer, I mentioned him on a list of players I wanted gone. I'm not judging him on a rubbish free kick. There were too many games last year where he was completely non-existent and basically rubbish. And just for the record, I know some may have judged him for what car he drives ect, but I couldn't careless what a player does off the field. Providing they don't break the law or disgrace the jersey, they can do what they want afaic.

Depay must be sold in Jan. Absolute waste of talent by someone that doesn't want to be there.

mV1tvdL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

v3ttel wrote: »
    The outcry from people's performance about Memphis just goes to show that people are often blinded by their preconceived notions of a player, rather than objectively looking at performances.

He did ok when he came on. He was certainly no worse than Darmian, Rojo, Pogba, Schneiderlin, Martial, Young, Rashford (or Lingard and Mkhitaryan on Saturday).

But no, it's the "dope" that came on for 20 mins (of the last 180) is the real key issue to highlight and moan about, rather than the other 9 players who played for more minutes and were arguably worse....

The whole teams performance is a concern, not ****ing Memphs.

All of the team were rubbish and I don't think anybody would dispute that. But the two outstanding gobshytes/dopes and the two that seem to be picking up were they left off from last year are Rojo & Memphis. And Of the players you listed, I'd put Rojo & Memphis well ahead in the money píssed down the drain stakes.

TheDoc wrote: »
    mV1tvdL.jpg

If you don't agree with something please tell us why.

No need for the childish little facebook-like reply.

Depay looks sluggish and could easily be sold at a rock-bottom price come the new year.

• Advertisement

If you don't agree with something please tell us why.

No need for the childish little facebook-like reply.

Depay looks sluggish and could easily be sold at a rock-bottom price come the new year.

Figured my physical response would probably better explain my reaction then text tbh

I've made a few posts since the match about.

TLDRDecent cameo for his first minutes of the season. Some nice linkup, poor decision making on two occasions, but a good lung busting run to break up a counter attack and looked to be making a concerted effort, his main critique from fans last season. Something for him to be positive about and build on

Also, it's the internet. Laughs are allowed, we arn't debating Manchester United in Leinster House

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well that's a bit of a sweeping generalization if ever I knew one, Memphis had his first run out in a United jersey in how long? and just because of one cameo, people are wanting him gone, Jesus wept we're a month into a marathon of a season, and José's gonna need all the players at his disposal, it wasn't all gonna click all that quickly..

But hey let's not let logic dictate here..

Figured my physical response would probably better explain my reaction then text tbh

TLDRDecent cameo for his first minutes of the season. Some nice linkup, poor decision making on two occasions, but a good lung busting run to break up a counter attack and looked to be making a concerted effort, his main critique from fans last season. Something for him to be positive about and build on

Also, it's the internet. Laughs are allowed, we arn't debating Manchester United in Leinster House

Now that deserves a keyboard warrior response like you did last time!!:D

He can run all night - all he wants, the guy came in with a pompous attitude and hasn't worked hard enough with his shooting or passing.

His skinning of players is pretty much non-existant - the guy is finished at OT.

Not enough effort & his head goes down far too easy.

IMO.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well that's a bit of a sweeping generalization if ever I knew one, Memphis had his first run out in a United jersey in how long? and just because of one cameo, people are wanting him gone, Jesus wept we're a month into a marathon of a season, and José's gonna need all the players at his disposal, it wasn't all gonna click all that quickly..

But hey let's not let logic dictate here..

The reason he hasn't been put in is because Mourinho obviously doesn't like what he is seeing and lets be honest I've never seen him exactly light up a stadium with this gift he supposedly has before that.

He's a sub at best in our "normal" team. I'd even have Young ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was across for the Southampton game & another fan was harping on how amazing Memphis will be....... Complete & utter B***ox!!!.

He doesn't want to get stuck in & he looks far too muscled in a gym-freak kind of way for me too.

Doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I heard Memphis once wore a silly hat too. Clearly a spoofer.

The reason he hasn't been put in is because Mourinho obviously doesn't like what he is seeing and lets be honest I've never seen him exactly light up a stadium with this gift he supposedly has before that.

He's a sub at best in our "normal" team. I'd even have Young ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was across for the Southampton game & another fan was harping on how amazing Memphis will be....... Complete & utter B***ox!!!.

He doesn't want to get stuck in & he looks far too muscled in a gym-freak kind of way for me too.

Doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Each to their own I suppose.

Well contrary to what you said about José "obviously doesn't like what he is seeing"
    Of course, I want Memphis to be part of my squad, I don't want to go into last season too much, but I know the player I've watched at PSV and the World Cup two years ago when he was a very young kid. Having that player in mind, I want to keep him.

I believe in him, yes. Especially as I see a good boy, a good kid, a good professional.

Clearly José is looking at the bigger picture in regards Memphis and clearly I think he's the kind of player who needs the arm 'round the shoulder telling him how great he is/can be.. The talents there, it just needs a light (clearly and again I think the legacy of the #7 isn't doing him any favours either, even though he personally requested the #7), Van Gaal shattered his confidence (happens to everyone for a stretch of time), fair enough "sub in the normal team", i'll agree with that, but it's a bit harsh throwing the lad in the trash after one game..

Also different league & different country, obviously he hasn't hit the ground running as many had hoped given his form for PSV before he signed, but give him time, he'll come good.

You know who didn't wanna get stuck in at first as well, a certain Cristiano Ronaldo, he too needed the arm 'round the shoulder telling him how great he is/can be.. Look at him now..

TL;DR - Give Memphis a chance, mark my words he'll come good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

taking into account last season as well he seems to do a lot of that. even basic stuff he is not good at.

I cant see him lasting beyond next summer, if a decent bid comes in he will be moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hard to know how to feel really about last nights game. Jose has publicly declared his lack of interest in the competition. I wonder has that possiblly rubbed off on some of the players?

Thought Memphis was a bit of a positive last night. Aside from a few very infuriating crosses, dead balls, shots. He looked eager and definitely gave it 100% effort. He most certainly had a better game than Rashford and Martial (not that it would be hard).

Thought Pogba was average. He also worked very hard, but considering the player we bought from Juve I would expect more from him.

Thought Schneiderlin was relatively good overall.

Herrera was average/slightly poor.

Rashford, Martial, Mata were quite poor.

Darmian was also poor but he improved slightly as the game wore on.

Rojo was truly terrible. The amount of times he was out of position was unreal. Darmian was also caught out of position a fair few times but not as bad as Rojo.

Of course we have to take into account that many of these players have little or no match fitness so far this season but still, it was a bit disappointing.

Need a win against Watford now to shake off the losing streak.

already talk of Greizemann and/or Bale next summer, can also see us signing a player to dictate play in the middle of the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mick posted this in "the good side" thread but I thought it wouldn't be out of place here either(if it hasn't been posted already)

https://twitter.com/SirMatthewBusby/status/775730780521635840

Lingard got a lot of stick for his video on the bus at West Ham so lovely to see him arrange this sort of stuff.

Pretty moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

already talk of Greizemann and/or Bale next summer, can also see us signing a player to dictate play in the middle of the field
    Pogba does that, why would you want another player of that ilk. Griezman to replace Rooney would be magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba is going to rely heavily on movement ahead of him and intelligent runs. It's not like the players are getting in great positions in front of him and Pogba is messing up the delivery.

It's like a Ferrari without any petrol in it, useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    Mick posted this in "the good side" thread but I thought it wouldn't be out of place here either(if it hasn't been posted already)

https://twitter.com/SirMatthewBusby/status/775730780521635840

Lingard got a lot of stick for his video on the bus at West Ham so lovely to see him arrange this sort of stuff.

Pretty moving.

Fair play Jesse. Really great to see the players doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hate them and all but Liverpool are playing some great football.

If they where consistent threw out the season would be serious title contenders.

They will probably beat Chelsea tonight then lose to a team at the bottom next.

Charizard wrote: »
    Pogba does that, why would you want another player of that ilk. Griezman to replace Rooney would be magic

Pogba is far from that, I mean another carrick, someone like modric, kroos, someone that can sit in position and pass pass pass

If they where consistent threw out the season would be serious title contenders.

Yep klopp is a fantastic manager, mane is also a special player. Class to watch

Yep klopp is a fantastic manager, mane is also a special player. Class to watch

Great ****ing goal right there.

I'll say it now on form there playing better football then us. There's great flow to there game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

^^ love that username man.

Have had that song on heavy rotation lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Griezman will join the Arse next summer with Simeone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great ****ing goal right there.

I'll say it now on form there playing better football then us. There's great flow to there game.

Same as the end of last season,they work hard when they dont have the ball and press the sh1te out of teams,

They are a big game team,its the bread and butter games they need to get sorted.

Same as the end of last season,they work hard when they dont have the ball and press the sh1te out of teams,

They are a big game team,its the bread and butter games they need to get sorted.

Fella I work with Liverpool fan I say same thing to him every week! They play there socks off against top teams and bottle it against lower ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Simeone is apparently getting his contract length reduced to 2018. The popular theory seems to be he wants to go to Inter at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Haven't they been? Bournemouth (or Burnley, I don't know the difference between those teams) was the one hiccup and they've already beaten Arsenal away and Chelsea away and Leicester.

No European football either so fatigue probably won't be a factor. They're contenders, unfortunately.

Arsenal wouldn't spend the money to sign him and give him the wages he would want

Arsenal wouldn't spend the money to sign him and give him the wages he would want

Not with 600 employees to look after :pac:

Still raging klopp is not our manager :(

Still raging klopp is not our manager :(

Oh for gods sake.

Chelsea made look very ordinary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Chelsea made look very ordinary there.

Liverpool can blitz anybody for about 20 minutes to a half hour. That's where you shut up shop and ride it out. Thought Conte would have dealt with it better tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Great, so Liverpool have won the league for the second time this season.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Great, so Liverpool have won the league for the second time this season.

They will be top 4 contenders for sure but that should be the minimum expectation, the Rodgers team excuse can no longer be trotted out.

Anyway, we have a big game Sunday, massively important to get a win and a good performance after the last two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Rooney was at fault for the two Liverpool goals..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

They will be top 4 contenders for sure but that should be the minimum expectation, the Rodgers team excuse can no longer be trotted out.

It's still Brenda's team when it suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Anyway, we have a big game Sunday, massively important to get a win and a good performance after the last two games.

Yeah, we need a positive response to the last two games, three points keeps us where we need to be, nothing less should be acceptable.

Glazers Out!

Pogba is far from that, I mean another carrick, someone like modric, kroos, someone that can sit in position and pass pass pass
    Did you just compare Carrick to Kroos and Modric :pac: Pogba is definitely a dictate a game midfielder, have you ever watched him play :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

When did Pobga every play well as a dictating the game CM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Did you just compare Carrick to Kroos and Modric :pac: Pogba is definitely a dictate a game midfielder, have you ever watched him play :confused:

Pogba's best asset is driving forward with the ball at his feet and generally making a nuisance of himself to defensive players. Modric, Kroos, Carrick etc. usually sit back and let players like that do what they do and cut out passes, keep the game flowing and get attacks started themselves.

Personally I think if Schneiderlin could regain his Southampton form he'd be excellent in that type of role. But, I'm not particularly convinced that any of those Southampton players can get back the form they had there, none have really flourished since leaving imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kroos is great because he can play both roles. Imo he's actually worse at being the deep midfielder as he's a world class number 10 but he's still great in the deep role.

Schneiderlin's best play has been in the role that Matic is currently playing for Chelsea. He can be let loose and get around brilliantly but with Fellaini and Pogba being better at that role because they're more physical he's only going to get chances if he proves himself in the deep midfielder role where he's never impressed really, always needing a disciplined player behind him to cover.

Pro. F wrote: »
    When did Pobga every play well as a dictating the game CM?
    Go watch some Juventus games from the past

baz2009 wrote: »
    Pogba's best asset is driving forward with the ball at his feet and generally making a nuisance of himself to defensive players. Modric, Kroos, Carrick etc. usually sit back and let players like that do what they do and cut out passes, keep the game flowing and get attacks started themselves.

Personally I think if Schneiderlin could regain his Southampton form he'd be excellent in that type of role. But, I'm not particularly convinced that any of those Southampton players can get back the form they had there, none have really flourished since leaving imo.
    Carrick really isnt a similar player to either of the real stars. Christ Kroos isnt really similar to Modric. Kroos is more like Xavi.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement