Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sucked losing to City, but they are the most obvious heirs to the Premier League throne at the moment, so its understandable.

Sucked losing to Feynerood but it was a second string team against a team in good form, who won with an offside goal. Sucks. But understandable.

No excuses against Watford tomorrow. Should be a full team against a team who have 4 points in 4 games. Should be an easy win by 2 or 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Is Bailly out tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was shocked how bad Chelsea looked last night.

Made our performance against City look ok. :pac:

Agree it's a huge game tomorrow. 3 points is always important of course but it's more to get back on track. The last thing we need after the last 3 years is doubts starting to creep in this early in the season.

Hoping the team hit the ground running instead of the lethargic start we have seen in the few games.

Is Bailly out tomorrow

Again?

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/777063372164587520
    Mourhino with a couple of lines about Pogba and the fee.

Benteke cost Palace more than Pogba and Herrera praises Mourhino.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Should Carrick come into the team tomorrow lads? Let him playing the holding CM role and let Pogba and Herrera get forward and support the attackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Should Carrick come into the team tomorrow lads? Let him playing the holding CM role and let Pogba and Herrera get forward and support the attackers

I thought the midfield in second half against city was the way forward. Carrick hasn't played and despite his calmness and passing he ain't quick enough to evenen be counted on to sit back in front of the defense.

I'd go with ander playing deep and fell and pogba getting forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Hoping we can get back in the hunt with a win tomorrow.

We'd be over the 2 point average if so & that's a must if you wanna win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Charizard wrote: »
    Go watch some Juventus games from the past

I watched him plenty at Juventus and he was never good at dictating games. Conte and Allegre pretty much never gave him that responsibility either. He most often played with two other CMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hoping we can get back in the hunt with a win tomorrow.

We'd be over the 2 point average if so & that's a must if you wanna win the league.

These are the games I'm expecting to win again under Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Charizard wrote: »
    Did you just compare Carrick to Kroos and Modric :pac: Pogba is definitely a dictate a game midfielder, have you ever watched him play :confused:

Pogba usually played to the left of a midfield 3 with Pirlo dictating play and marchisio beside him. Before that Vidal was there to break up play.

Pogba will never be a player to sit at the base of midfield. Would love to see carrick given a start tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Lads, the way you's are talking it won't be long until there will be calls to send #pogback to Juve. It's been 3 or 4 games, settle down a wee bit imo.

I'm not a big fan of Schneiderlin (I think his first touch and control aren't good enough), but I thought his passing was good against Feyenoord. He seemed to have a good few of those clever vertical passes that cut through the opposition. He maybe could have done better for the goal, but I'm not sure, would have had a lot of ground to make up.

Lads, the way you's are talking it won't be long until there will be calls to send #pogback to Juve. It's been 3 or 4 games, settle down a wee bit imo.

I don't think anyone is saying that, just commenting on how he has performed so far.

Until I posted that twitter link earlier I'd forgotten that he had no pre season at all so there's that to add into the equation too.

I still think though there is a bit of tweaking to be done to find a role for him in the team properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba will never be a player to sit at the base of midfield. Would love to see carrick given a start tomorrow

Carrick might get a start in the cup, but I'd be shocked if Fellaini isn't back in the first team tomorrow. So we can say we'll have Pogba and Fellaini in midfield. After that, the only way Carrick plays is if we don't play Rooney (which I can't see happening) and Jose opts for Carrick to make his first start this season over someone like Herrera who has match fitness already.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a similar team to the first three games of the season, with Pogba and Fellaini in a 2 man midfield, with Martial, Rooney, Mata and Ibrahimovic in front of them.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I thought the midfield in second half against city was the way forward. Carrick hasn't played and despite his calmness and passing he ain't quick enough to evenen be counted on to sit back in front of the defense.

I'd go with ander playing deep and fell and pogba getting forward.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fellaini the deepest of the three. He has looked very impressive and disciplined this season playing that role behind Pogba. I also think Herrera is more affective further up the field.

There's only two players in the squad that I would trust with the deeper role and that's Fellaini and Carrick and Carrick is just too old at those stage. I don't think there is anyone else in the squad who has the discipline to play there(maybe Fosu Mensah in the future)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pro. F wrote: »
    I watched him plenty at Juventus and he was never good at dictating games. Conte and Allegre pretty much never gave him that responsibility either. He most often played with two other CMs.

What do you mean he was never good at dictating games? That's absolute nonsense. His role for Juve was never to dictate the game. Pogba has never been utilised as a dictator as he has the physical traits to be a far more effective game than someone who sets the tempo. Can you cite the games where he was a poor dictator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

adox wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing Fellaini the deepest of the three. He has looked very impressive and disciplined this season playing that role behind Pogba. I also think Herrera is more affective further up the field.

There's only two players in the squad that I would trust with the deeper role and that's Fellaini and Carrick and Carrick is just too old at those stage. I don't think there is anyone else in the squad who has the discipline to play there(maybe Fosu Mensah in the future)

The only worry with Fellaini is his pace in that position. If a team breaks at pace, he can really be left behind. It's always great to have somebody who can get the legs going in defensive midfield, like Kante.

The only worry with Fellaini is his pace in that position. If a team breaks at pace, he can really be left behind. It's always great to have somebody who can get the legs going in defensive midfield, like Kante.

Yeah totally agree but he's the best we currently have for that position IMO.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    What do you mean he was never good at dictating games? That's absolute nonsense. His role for Juve was never to dictate the game. Pogba has never been utilised as a dictator as he has the physical traits to be a far more effective game than someone who sets the tempo. Can you cite the games where he was a poor dictator?

In defence of pro f he was saying what your saying he was trying to make a point to another poster that said he dictated games for juventus.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think posters on here are expecting Pogba should be able to dictate games like Paul Scholes did. Never going to happen as they were going to be very different type of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pogba is a player utd need to build around. He needs the right players in midfield that will give him that freedom.

Kante would of been a great partner, we are still missing that kind of player at the moment.

Why should I have to cite games where he was poor at dictating? I said he was never good at dictating games at Juve. If you disagree with that then you need to cite some games where he was good at dictating.

But if his role was never to dictate the game, as you say (and as I said similar to), then there won't be any games for you to point to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pro. F wrote: »
    Why should I have to cite games where he was poor at dictating? I said he was never good at dictating games at Juve. If you disagree with that then you need to cite some games where he was good at dictating.

But if his role was never to dictate the game, as you say (and as I said similar to), then there won't be any games for you to point to.

You said he is not a good dictator. I asked you to cite games and now you want me to disprove something that never happened. Well done.

• Advertisement

You said he is not a good dictator. I asked you to cite games and now you want me to disprove something that never happened. Well done.

You asked me to cite games where he was poor at dictating. I didn't say he was poor at dictating. I said he was never good at it. That is two different things.

If you disagree that he was never good at dictating then you need to cite games where he was good at dictating. That is the same thing.

You even agree that he was not given the role of dictating games at Juve. So I don't know why you disagree with the idea that he was never good at dictating at Juve. It is very unlikely that he was good at, considering he was never (according to you) given that role.

Hussein, Mugabe, Lenin, Mussolini...Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

City are so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

J. Marston wrote: »
    City are so good.

Ominously they're looking pretty much invincible. Could be a long procession to the title for them and a pretty boring season for the rest of us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

nullzero wrote: »
    Ominously they're looking pretty much invincible. Could be a long procession to the title for them and a pretty boring season for the rest of us.

AH seriously guys. Stop getting carried away with yourselves. They've looked good today and for 45 minutes against us. The rest of their season has been mediocre and they've had to battle hard for us. It's 5 games in for Christ sakes

• Advertisement

AH seriously guys. Stop getting carried away with yourselves. They've looked good today and for 45 minutes against us. The rest of their season has been mediocre and they've had to battle hard for us. It's 5 games in for Christ sakes

Gundogan back in the team now and the best striker in the league to come back in as well, signs are ominous

They were brilliant for 45 minutes and good for the whole 90.

They blitzed us in the first half and had us under their thumb in the second and still should scored another 3 or 4 on the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

They were brilliant for 45 minutes and good for the whole 90.

They blitzed us in the first half and had us under their thumb in the second and still should scored another 3 or 4 on the counter.

And still should have shared the points at best had the ref not been a bottle job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

quite annoying reading this city love in

I rather a Rooney debate and that's saying alot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Headshot wrote: »

143994316040.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Exactly, plus the team isn't massively different personnel wise from last year either.

We have a new manager, alot of new players and a losing mentality that won't be shaken off over night.

City should win the league considering everything but I will stick with my own seasonal aspirations, a comfortable top 4 finish and ideally a trophy.

We win tomorrow and we are up to second having not even close to our best 11 solidified or getting into a stride.

People getting in a lather after 5 games is just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Exactly, plus the team isn't massively different personnel wise from last year either.

We have a new manager, alot of new players and a losing mentality that won't be shaken off over night.

City should win the league considering everything but I will stick with my own seasonal aspirations, a comfortable top 4 finish and ideally a trophy.

We win tomorrow and we are up to second having not even close to our best 11 solidified or getting into a stride.

People getting in a lather after 5 games is just mad.

This is what people seem to forget, it's a marathon season.. Teams will suffer slumps as the season goes on.

°°°°°

Headshot wrote: »

Not a case of it being a love in, they're just streets ahead of everyone which quite frankly is sh1t for us and the rest of the league.
    Yet again Pep will be hailed as a genius for winning the league with the most expensively assembled team of all time.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It does seem like every time that bt sport ask Howard Webb about a decision I completely disagree with him. Neither goal in this game should have been allowed.

nullzero wrote: »
    Not a case of it being a love in, they're just streets ahead of everyone which quite frankly is sh1t for us and the rest of the league.
    Yet again Pep will be hailed as a genius for winning the league with the most expensively assembled team of all time.

Ah yes, plucky little Man United with only lint in our pockets and fight in our hearts standing up to these big money clubs.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Ah yes, plucky little Man United with only lint in our pockets and fight in our hearts standing up to these big money clubs.

That's exactly what I said...
    I was making a point about Pep Guardiola's good fortune in terms of the sides he's managed in his illustrious career to date, he hasn't exactly been making silk purses out of sows ears.

Glazers Out!

Calling the league and it's not even the end of September is pure folly.

°°°°°

adox wrote: »
    Calling the league and it's not even the end of September is pure folly.

I'll gladly be proven wrong.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

City won their first 5 last year too and without conceding a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

City had maximum points at this stage of last season too. We all know how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Too early to say who will win the league.

City are playing well, I would be happier with United if we started scoring more goals than we are.
    All United can do is concentrate on their own games and then it doesn't matter what City do.
    But I would be wary of goal difference, we had that issue with City twice now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    City had maximum points at this stage of last season too. We all know how that worked out.

If anyone in this thread doesn't believe this is a vastly different (and superior) City team this season is delusional. I'm a City fan but the unbelievable change in style, motivation and class that has been on display so far this season is like Day compared to last season's Night. Look no farther than the performances of guys like Kolarov and Otamendi, they are like new players.

karma_ wrote: »
    If anyone in this thread doesn't believe this is a vastly different (and superior) City team this season is delusional. I'm a City fan but the unbelievable change in style, motivation and class that has been on display so far this season is like Day compared to last season's Night. Look no farther than the performances of guys like Kolarov and Otamendi, they are like new players.

I think the majority of people know and would admit how good city look they are favourite but anything can happen it's 5 games into the season and it is a marathon with injuries and suspensions there is no point in people giving up the hunt and saying it's cities title ye have won nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will be interesting to see what team Jose picks tomorrow, but I be surprised if he goes with anything like last week

Back to more safer option I reckon.

Not fond of Martial out of position. Not said much on Rooney as it's one with mixed opinion and while I have been huge backer of Rooney he now needs to be dropped.

The touch and the amount of touches he had in lead up to City goal is not good enough

I have seen people saying it was not reason for conceding the goal, but they is not correct imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Will be interesting to see what team Jose picks tomorrow, but I be surprised if he goes with anything like last week

Back to more safer option I reckon.

Not fond of Martial out of position. Not said much on Rooney as it's one with mixed opinion and while I have been huge backer of Rooney he now needs to be dropped.

The touch and the amount of touches he had in lead up to City goal is not good enough

I have seen people saying it was not reason for conceding the goal, but they is not correct imo.

The reason that goal was conceded was due to mistakes by both our centre halves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement