Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Popcorn at the ready! This Wednesday: katy''s faithy is revealed! ! And Cathal is back! FC 4000th episode. .......

Oh and in a manner of speaking. ...Stripey loses her stripes. ....and it's not for The Ram!!!

I thinks this thread will collapse !!!!

What_the_Actual_****_meme_6049.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Match thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101074798#post101074798

Time to get back to winning ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will be interesting to see what team Jose picks tomorrow, but I be surprised if he goes with anything like last week

Back to more safer option I reckon.

Not fond of Martial out of position. Not said much on Rooney as it's one with mixed opinion and while I have been huge backer of Rooney he now needs to be dropped.

The touch and the amount of touches he had in lead up to City goal is not good enough

I have seen people saying it was not reason for conceding the goal, but they is not correct imo.

The reason that goal was conceded was due to mistakes by both our centre halves.

More reasons then that. Defense starts from the front

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

More reasons then that. Defense starts from the front

Yeah and Mkhitaryan ignored his captain's instructions to press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Yeah and Mkhitaryan ignored his captain's instructions to press.

Yikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

nullzero wrote: »
    Not a case of it being a love in, they're just streets ahead of everyone which quite frankly is sh1t for us and the rest of the league.
    Yet again Pep will be hailed as a genius for winning the league with the most expensively assembled team of all time.

AH here.....we've spent plenty too over the last few seasons. Let's stop using money as an excuse. Yes they're better than us at the moment. They also have a more stable team with fewer changes. I don't think bringing in a new winger in Nolito requires as much change as for instance a central midfielder like pogba who we have to build around..

People are getting way way to carried away it's 5 games . I've never experienced a premier league seasons where a team no matter how good doesn't have a slump. City's will come what we have to do is try and stay as close to them as we can until it does.

Before we lost to City the optimism in here was sky high. The amount of people in here who said we would get a win against them was unreal.....a loss against them and suddenly they're going to walk the league..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Since when did Victor Valdes have hair??? haha :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

nullzero wrote: »
    Not a case of it being a love in, they're just streets ahead of everyone which quite frankly is sh1t for us and the rest of the league.
    Yet again Pep will be hailed as a genius for winning the league with the most expensively assembled team of all time.

That exact phrase was used to describe them at one point last season also, round this time in fact iirc.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The team I want for tomorrow

De Gea
    Val Bailly Blind Shaw
    Herrera Fellaini Pogba
    Rashford Ibra Martial

The team I expect

Back 5 the same (barring injury)
    Fellaini Pogba
    Mata Rooney Martial
    Ibra

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

We're comfortably better than 14 or 15 teams in the PL. The problem is most of the PL is crap, despite all the hype about being the best or most competitive or whatever adjective suits the sales pitch. Utd got outplayed by a mediocre Dutch team again but will go out and look great against Watford (Rooney will probably score a hat trick to keep his statisticians stocked with ammo for the season).

It's frustrating but I'm hoping we're on an upward curve and in time JM can shed some of the dead weight and either develop our young players or buy the quality needed to compete with the best and not just knock over mid table PL teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Korat wrote: »
    We're comfortably better than 14 or 15 teams in the PL. The problem is most of the PL is crap, despite all the hype about being the best or most competitive or whatever adjective suits the sales pitch. Utd got outplayed by a mediocre Dutch team again but will go out and look great against Watford (Rooney will probably score a hat trick to keep his statisticians stocked with ammo for the season).

It's frustrating but I'm hoping we're on an upward curve and in time JM can shed some of the dead weight and either develop our young players or buy the quality needed to compete with the best and not just knock over mid table PL teams.

It was mostly a Utd second string team. A lot of them playing together for the first time.

Look Utd were really poor during the week and even that line up shouldn't be losing to Feyernoord but I'm just trying to give it a bit of perspective.

Also it sounds like you are already making excuses if Utd win later. It's a very pessimistic starting point to have(and I'm sure I'm hardly known as an optimist on here).

The premier league may not be the best league in the world but it is the most competitive and could be argued is the best. To say it is crap is pure hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The team I want for tomorrow

De Gea
    Val Bailly Blind Shaw
    Herrera Fellaini Pogba
    Rashford Ibra Martial

The team I expect

Back 5 the same (barring injury)
    Fellaini Pogba
    Mata Rooney Martial
    Ibra

I think we should play Smalling and Bailly in the defense and Blind as a DM, if not then at least Carrick in the midfield. We need midfielder who can play some attacking passes from the deep and can control the tempo of the game.

Anyways it will be the second line up that will be played which IMO is a bad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What pub will be showing the game today in Ballsbridge? I'll be in Herbert Park and won't have access to a car. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What pub will be showing the game today in Ballsbridge? I'll be in Herbert Park and won't have access to a car. Thanks.

There's one across the road from Rolys that shows the football usually. It's just over the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pheonix10 wrote:
    There's one across the road from Rolys that shows the football usually. It's just over the bridge.

Appreciate that. Hope the result is good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Pheonix10 wrote: »

The Horseshow House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

De gea
    Valencia
    Smalling
    Bailey
    Shaw
    Pogba
    Fellani
    Rooney
    Rashford
    Martial
    Ibra

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/777447077165076480

Yes! Rashford given another chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

A few changes, Rashford starts on the right

Edit: Beaten to it..

Romero Mata Ander Memphis Young Blind Carrick on the bench

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »
    A few changes, Rashford starts on the right

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/777447077165076480

Zerks alert :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Happy Rashford has been given the start, still not sure about Martial yet but seems the plan is for him to try play himself back into form, hopefully we can see some signs today.

Happy Memphis is on the bench too, hopefully he is given a chance and can take it. I know people want him gone already but I'm hoping he comes good with time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Very attacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Zerks alert :P

I edited.. you too your time to reply ;)

Happy to see Smalling back in with Bailly as I think that's the partnership going forward.
    Nice to see Rashford in too and Martial, although his form hasn't really deserved the place. I'm just hoping he plays he way back into form.

A bit more pace than normal today but still too many slow(or mot fast) players in the team.

At least the back four is now as quick as they come!

Feeling confident. Another Ibra power header and a Martial goal please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You can have all the strikers in the world but if you've Noone to create for them it'll not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Strong team today.

Win is a must.

Team is a step in the right direction I feel, looking forward to it now!

If we dont win today with that line up, we are in serious trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That lineup would be great if we had a proper midfielder instead of Wayne Rooney.

Jayop wrote: »
    You can have all the strikers in the world but if you've Noone to create for them it'll not work.

It's not as if we are lacking players who can provide assists in the squad.

Obviously players need to supply them the ball but it is also the strikers responsibility to get themselves into a dangerous position with a timed run or simply attacking positioning and it is also on them to take the chance when given.

Think sometimes we let the strikers off too easily, and simply just shift blame onto the rest of the team for supposedly not creating them chances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No real problems with trying Rashford on the right, simply because we have no one else worth trying out there at the moment. Going to be relying on the wingbacks though, cause I'd imagine Rashford and Martial will want to run inside a lot.

That lineup would be great if we had a proper midfielder instead of Wayne Rooney.

The way you say that would make it sound like we are only starting Rooney in midfield on his own.

EDIT: Sorry thought you said if we had a proper midfield, I'm a little to tired this morning I think :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    No real problems with trying Rashford on the right, simply because we have no one else worth trying out there at the moment. Going to be relying on the wingbacks though, cause I'd imagine Rashford and Martial will want to run inside a lot.

Rashford has played out wide at times for the England u21 setup, I think mainly on the left however, but has shown some real threat there due to his pace and ability to take people on and cut in.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The way you say that would make it sound like we are only starting Rooney in midfield on his own.

We aren't, we have Paul Pogba to sit behind him and do the dirty work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Do you think you'd be better off with a no 10 like say Ozil with Pogba CMF or a CMF like Ozil pushing Pogba forward to no 10?

I don't think it's a midfield 3 as the lads in the studio do and some on here.

Rooney will play at no 10 with the two midfielders behind him would be my guess.

Ultimitately 3 is the way to go to accomadate Pogba properly and the best option as it stand would be Fellaini and Herrera along side him. Can be argued who plays the deeper role. Personally I'd have Fellaini there.

These interviewers actually get paid to ask questions?
    By far the weakest part of football coverage, I actually cringe when they are asking ridiculous questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Be delighted if we set up with a midfield three like BT think we will. That system would get the best out of Pogba imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

gosplan wrote: »
    Do you think you'd be better off with a no 10 like say Ozil with Pogba CMF or a CMF like Ozil pushing Pogba forward to no 10?

IMO the ideal scenario is to give Pogba the most licence out of the 3 midfielders when it comes to getting involved in the attack. When Rooney is playing he will always be involved in the attacks which usually means Pogba has to be more aware of his defensive responsibilities.

Although it didn't work perfectly in midweek, I'd like to see Herrera instead of Rooney for a run of games. IMO he is naturally a better fit for the system we seem to be playing under Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

That's the team I'd like to see out except Mkhitaryan in for Rooney when he's back fit....

Old news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Interesting piece in today's Guardian from Daniel Taylor....

Rooney has also put his body on the line, bearing in mind some new detail that I heard recently about the night in April 2010 when United faced Bayern Munich in the Champions League, 2-1 down from the first leg in Bavaria, and the sheer desperation for him to play, even with damaged ankle ligaments.

You might remember the shock when Rooney was named in the starting lineup (the medical prognosis was he would be out for up to three weeks). On the pitch, he was restricted to running in straight lines. He had to be substituted 10 minutes into the second half and missed the following league game against Blackburn. What you might not realise, however, is that Rooney, an incredibly selfless footballer sometimes, agreed to give it a go despite still being on crutches, wearing a protective boot, on his way to Old Trafford. Compare that with the suspicion in United’s dressing room last season that one player had pulled out of a game because he “didn’t fancy it” only to train perfectly normally the following day.

Rooney has worn strapping on that right ankle ever since and these are the details that sometimes go amiss when opinion turns against him. Perhaps, in that respect, he is unfortunate that his 14 years in the Premier League have taken in the age of social media. Few things on Twitter invite such a froth of condemnation as daring to type a few words of praise on his behalf.

It might have been selfless, but it was also a bad decision.

Martial right Rashford left and Fellani deeper then Pogba and Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Be great if one of our defenders could win a header!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

This is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing typical Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its like utd are at a funeral and have been asked to play a game of soccer

It just so slow and no tempo at all from them

Would have been a peach! Such a pity

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement