Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I don't think I can listen to Robbie Savage again for Nintie Minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jose has a lot to answer for.

He doesnt know his best team and he's still sticking with Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

De Gea can't even save the peno:rolleyes: grumble grumble...seriously though awful bloody awful and the substitutions were nothing short of shambolic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pogba needs to be looked at after this game. Nobody played well granted but during the city game he seemed exhausted after 60 mins and to watch him let his man go for the second goal was crazy. It meant Fellaini had to leave his man to try follow him. Hopefully he gets rested midweek as he is not sharp at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, it starts with the captain. He's meant to be leading the team on the pitch. If all the others are seeing is a walking arguing ****show, that's not much leadership for them to go on. How can they take him seriously if he goes at them about poor performances or not giving it their all.

As long as he's playing, we're going nowhere but down the table each season imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Rooney should not be in midfield or at striker. He is completely done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep. Keep defending Rooney. Yep. He is brilliant.

Superb close passing. Superb awareness of who is around him.

Killer balls.

In 5 years, if it's revealed that Rooney had a contract cause that meant he plays when he is fit, it would surprise me not a bit.

Schweinstiger must be laughing.

That's all I can do.

Who has been saying he played brilliantly today? I haven't seen anyone claim that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Killer balls.

In 5 years, if it's revealed that Rooney had a contract cause that meant he plays when he is fit, it would surprise me not a bit.

That's all I can do.

I think we are supposed to ignore the blatant, obvious problem with the side and focus on the other problems instead. I think thats how it works.

I don't think I can listen to Robbie Savage again for Nintie Minutes.

Mute it after 89 minutes so...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

"Rooney only plays as a striker"

This loss lays at the feet of the manager.

Mourinho needs to grow a pair of balls and quickly. Very quickly. We are handicapping the team by playing him. Herrera sitting on the bench for 90 minutes. A player with grit and skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

A Leicester win next week will see them above us.

Genuine cr*p today from them all.

We're worse off at this stage than last season ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shambolic from the manager and the players.

Lol at Rooney questioning the ref at the end.

An utter embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Killer balls.

That's all I can do.

No one is defending Rooney everyone is saying he's been terrible.

One player is not making the rest of the players play terrible either. This is down to Jose and previous managers not wanting to drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

How? Why has Rooney got such a hold on the club? How can he still be considered to be in the 23 man squad when he offers nothing. Bastian sitting at home would have offered far more than that worthless waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Adamocovic wrote: »
    When Rooney does eventually get phased out of the team it will be interesting to see who some of the fans aim their anger or disappointment at.

Agree Rooney has been poor and surprised that he is still on the pitch but my word what a poor performance it has been by the whole team. Brutal stuff.

Absolutely boggling the turn that has happened since city. What an awful week it has been. Need to sort it out quick.

You don't understand. Once Rooney get's phased out, United will stroll to 4 nil victories every week playing the best football in the league. We'll have a number 10 that plays nothing but killer balls, Martial will rediscover his form and Pogba will again resemble a player of at least half his value. Rooney is the only thing stopping all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Headshot wrote: »
    Jose has a lot to answer for.

He doesnt know his best team and he's still sticking with Rooney

All the managers since Fergie have tried to get the best out of Rooney and build the team around him. 2 down. Only remains to be seen if Mourinho will allow Rooney to drag him down as well. I think/hope Mourinho is ruthless enough to recognise he is not going to win the league with 10.5 players in the first team.

I just really hope we are spared a Mourinho cringe interview after this. 3 defeats is hard for him to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You don't understand. Once Rooney get's phased out, United will stroll to 4 nil victories every week playing the best football in the league. We'll have a number 10 that plays nothing but killer balls, Martial will rediscover his form and Pogba will again resemble a player of at least half his value. Rooney is the only thing stopping all of this.

Are you Wayne Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Bailly had a shocker Shaw was at fault for second goal just backed off and let the pass go Fellaini was good needed hererra. instead of rooney and mata for young bad day hopefully we can put it right next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jose must be running out of excuses at this stage, 3-1 to Watford is pathetic by any standards, and to have been comprehensively outplayed for the bulk of the game leaves no room for excuses.

Continue like this and we'll be lucky to achieve a top half finish and Jose could be collecting his P45 before Christmas.

Rooney's race is run at this stage, has had a love hate relationship with the fans but has usually produced the goods, now he's beyond saving and his wages alone are incentive to sell him in January.

Glazers Out!

Mourinho needs to grow a pair of balls and quickly. Very quickly. We are handicapping the team by playing him. Herrera sitting on the bench for 90 minutes. A player with grit and skill.

He shouldn't have played him in midfield but that wasn't the reason we got beat.

They all need to grow a set. Dreadful stuff from the manager and the all the players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Who has been saying he played brilliantly today? I haven't seen anyone claim that at all.

Future didn't say anyone did...

To me it seems that the team don't like playing that formation at all and aren't comfortable with it. Rashford isn't a winger.

Jose continuing where Van Gaal left off by putting Rooney in midfied and Martial on the wing is completely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Clearly lacking a leader. Scholes hit the nail on the head, we have no one to control the tempo of the game. All I see for last three years is panic and dissarry l, especially when we have the ball.

Carrick and scholes hasnt been repleaced yet

I can't believe that you would continue to defend Rooney when it has been clear as day that he has no place in the team. He is forced into the line up playing midfield and we have absolutely no control in the first half. He has to binned.

Will we win games 'four nil' as you say, probably not, but at least we will have a good go when we get our proper 11 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Can't even pin point 1 single player, everyone looked crap. Balance is awful and I thought Jose was the manager with balls to drop players but looked like that was Jose of past.

Playing Rooney in midfield and not playing a controlling midfielder is asking for trouble and no wonder we can't control the game. This game is crying out for players like Carrick/Bastian who can control the game.

This is honestly very very bad!! We weren't even this bad with LVG last season.

Jose needs to get to grips, drop Rooney and get results or he could be in trouble a lot sooner than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Poor team performance? Well it's not as if he is the captain or anything. Right?

I'm trying to decipher what your point is here.

I said Rooney played poor. Said that the whole team was brutal today, as you said a poor team performance.

So am I meant to just say Rooney was poor and not mention the rest of them because he is the captain?

A part of me was hoping Rooney would get a straight red for that usual bit of petulance from him at the end.

We just can't be playing him in midfield.

Serious problems at the club. The lack of application is appalling as have some of Jose decisions lately. That was a worse performance than midweek. The only one I can think played anyway well was Shaw, maybe Fellaini at a push.

Ponderous ponderous build up. Ponderous ponderous prsssure on the ball when defending. Inexcusable individual errors. The list goes on.

I genuinely shocked after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

A few shocking individual performances there today. Cowardly from Jose.

Smalling might get some leeway considering he's just getting back to fitness. Bailly had a shocker but his other performances have been mostly very good. Martial was terrible again, even before the injury. Fellaini and Pogba were average. Shaw and Valencia were average. Ibrahimovic was poor. Rooney had his worst game in long time.

Rooney really has no business in this formation, unless he is played up front IMO. Mourinho needs to have the balls to either play him OR Ibra. Not both unless he wants to change the setup.

Mourinho really needs to get his sh1t in gear. Either play players to their strengths or not at all. I really wish Utd managers would stop trying to force square pegs into round holes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I thought Jose was the manager with balls to drop players but looked like that was Jose of past.

I have to believe there's something behind the scenes we don't know about. I have to believe that there's something forcing Rooney into the first team, despite not being the best in any of the possible positions he's been playing in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

3 defeats is hard to take but unlike Chelsea last year, the team fought back there and put in a shift in the second half.

Marking needs to be better but Rooney has to go. Nearly everything goes through him and right now it's going wide or out or coming straight back.

Not starting Mata instead of him at this stage would be insane.

Obviously Rooney now is near done but singling out any player there would be wrong.

Shambolic from the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

edgecutter wrote: »
    I can't believe that you would continue to defend Rooney when it has been clear as day that he has no place in the team. He is forced into the line up playing midfield and we have absolutely no control in the first half. He has to binned.

Will we win games 'four nil' as you say, probably not, but at least we will have a good go when we get our proper 11 out.

I'm not defending him, but unlike most in this thread I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend that all our problems will be solved by Rooney's removal from the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No ****ing way Schweinsteiger could be worse than Rooney in midfield. No ****ing way.

As is stated above, im nearly convinced that rooney has a clause like that in his contract after bending Moyes over a couple of years ago and he can walk for a free if we violate that term. Atrocious. Im actually hoping he gets injured or suspended soon so we stop ****ing wasting a starting space on him.

Im convinced the problems are mental with the squad and they're fundamentally unfixable no matter who we bring in. This side is as mentally frail as they come, we **** ourselves in the derby and then immediately crumble. There isn't a side in the league we'd have beaten playing like that today.

Dig in lads. Long years ahead, there's no fixing this ****show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rooney's playing time is making me question my sanity.

One voice in my head "He probably has a clause in his contract that demands a certain amount of playing time and starts." and then another voice that is saying "That's ridiculous. Shut up."

Rooney is bad for my mental health. He needs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Louis Van Gaal pretty much let his reputation turn into parody by entertaining Rooney.

Pressure on Mourinho now. There is an obvious team selection that needs to happen and if it doesn't then would have serious concerns of how last season damaged Mourinho. Rooney is our Gerrard now, and it's utter negligence not to deal with it immediately.

Martial and Rooney need hooking from this team ASAP.

That was utterly embarrassing to sit through, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smalling and Bailly shouldn't be playing together. Nobody with a cool head able to take the ball out of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I think we should to go back to a classic 442.

Get some proper wingers and play Rashford and Ibra up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Can't even pin point 1 single player

Shaw, tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm not defending him, but unlike most in this thread I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend that all our problems will be solved by Rooney's removal from the team.

I don't think anyone is saying that - its just the most obvious first step. And it sends a message to other under-performing players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No one has said that.

Continue your condescension though. You're gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

242.gif

So do you believe that he should continue to play week in week out? Would we be a better team without him?

In my opinion I would say yes to all theses. The guy looks like he is in his 40s never mind turning 31.

Why the f**k did Moyes give Rooney that contract!?!?

There has got to be some bulls**t on it about playing time.

You're captain just can't be the worst player. He is beyond atrocious, plays 90 minutes and goes home with 300k in his pocket every week.

Maybe it's time to get that good old banner and airplane out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

gosplan wrote: »
    3 defeats is hard to take but unlike Chelsea last year, the team fought back there and put in a shift in the second half.

Marking needs to be better but Rooney has to go. Nearly everything goes through him and right now it's going wide or out or coming straight back.

Not starting Mata instead of him at this stage would be insane.
    And ironically enough, our best performances so far came with Mata on the pitch. Not sure why he was dropped tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A lot of problems will be solved by removing him. A lot

It's a very simple problem Mourinho is being presented with here, that even the commentators were making out as some form of conundrum.

Pogba and Rooney arn't going to both be accommodated. So you need to pick one. It's Pogba so blatantly it shouldn't even merit discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Why the f**k did Moyes give Rooney that contract!?!?

There has got to be some bulls**t on it about playing time.

You're captain just can't be the worst player. He is beyond atrocious, plays 90 minutes and goes home with 300k in his pocket every week.

Maybe it's time to get that good old banner and airplane out

To individually target a player? That would be way beyond what's acceptable.

Smalling was also horrific today!!! Blind needs to come back in.

Haha good man McManaman. It's Fellaini fault that Pogba can't play in a two at Utd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement