Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

FB_IMG_1474497962344.jpg

*RUNS BEFORE IT EXPLODES*

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah Jayo.

Why for the love of God, Whyyyyyyy???

Also, was it a pen tonight by them? I missed it and a lad in work reckons it was harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah Jayo.

Also, was it a pen tonight by them? I missed it and a lad in work reckons it was harsh.

It was sloppy play led up to the pen but they deserved to go in as a draw at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ah Jayo.

No argument from me on the penalty. A fraction late but he looked to have caught him.

No bother, was just wondering if we had been rode by the ref 4 games in a row rather than just 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

jayo26 wrote: »

Silly inaccurate pic

Silly incorrect picture is a silly incorrect picture.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No bother, was just wondering if we had been rode by the ref 4 games in a row rather than just 3.

The game was verging on getting out of control due to the ref letting Northampton away with some industrial challenges.

Tackle on Memphis got a yellow that should have been a red and then three of four challenges after that with no cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    FB_IMG_1474497962344.jpg

FFs jayo
    How many games has each played
    What's the average goals per game ratio
    Stats man

Won't you think of the stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

They are a league 1 side, not league 2!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As a non united fan but a big Rooney fan I find whats happening hard to watch and listen to.

I feel sorry for Rooney. Now its easy to say hes on x a week dont feel sorry for him and blah blah blah. But the mans powers are fading dramatically in front of our eyes. He was once a force of nature, pace , power, anger, goals, assists, moments of absolute brilliance like the bicycle against city and volley against Newcastle.

The reason I find it hard to watch is that he will always try, you can see he is desperate to be what he once was but he cant turn back the clock. I think he definitely needs a change of club and it might invigorate him like it did torres, maybe a move back to Everton.

Unfortunately it will probably end for united fans with Rooneys reputation in tatters but he was a brilliant player and I hope that in time hel be remembered like that. I totally understand United fans frustrations now though and mourinho is doing him no favours by not giving him time out of the side

Just seen the Carrick goal. That lad should have been getting at least 6 every seasons. Never shot often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

tastyt wrote: »
    As a non united fan but a big Rooney fan I find whats happening hard to watch and listen to.

I feel sorry for Rooney. Now its easy to say hes on x a week dont feel sorry for him and blah blah blah. But the mans powers are fading dramatically in front of our eyes. He was once a force of nature, pace , power, anger, goals, assists, moments of absolute brilliance like the bicycle against city and volley against Newcastle.

The reason I find it hard to watch is that he will always try, you can see he is desperate to be what he once was but he cant turn back the clock. I think he definitely needs a change of club and it might invigorate him like it did torres, maybe a move back to Everton.

Unfortunately it will probably end for united fans with Rooneys reputation in tatters but he was a brilliant player and I hope that in time hel be remembered like that. I totally understand United fans frustrations now though and mourinho is doing him no favours by not giving him time out of the side

The fact that hes being playing constantly since he was 16 years old is showing.
    His legs are gone...his pace,his touch etc.
    I dont think its a confidence issue... i just think hes not near the same player as he used to be and theres no going back. Hes 31 in a month but hes playing like a 36 year old.
    A move is best for all.
    Anyone know when his contract is up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    1 What's worse is I have watched him drift into midfield 4 times now and he's the striker

2 Strayed a mile offside when Fosu mensah headed into the crossbar

3 Ballooned a cross under no pressure

4 Took the fee kick and Hit it straight at the wall

And that's just in 40 minutes

5 And have a guess who gave the ball away, just prior to that penalty, outside the oposition penalty area

1: A striker dropping deep occasionally, like the majority of strikers do in every game. And when the team are dominating the opposition and getting the midfielders and wide players into the box frequently it is even more normal for the striker to drop out at times. Rooney was still showing for passes off the shoulder and getting in position for the final ball in the box loads.

2: He was offside when Fosu-Mensah headed the ball because he had made a run for the pass from Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin chipped the pass out wide instead. This is the type of thing that happens hundreds of times in the top leagues every week and is not an error on anybody's part.

3: The cross he sliced was from chasing a through ball and just getting on to it as it was going over the bye-line. He was also crossing it off his left foot. Slicing that cross in that situation was a complete non-issue.

4: No, he hit it at the gap that Young was endeavouring to make at the end of the wall. When a free is that close to goal there is no option but to keep it low and then it's a bit of a lottery as to where it will bounce. That free-kick was perfectly fine.

5: A forward giving the ball away outside the opposition penalty area is not a problem. Except for tiki-taka teams, it happens all the time, from even the best forwards. The ball still had to travel past our midfield, past our defence, into our box, get cleared poorly, get pounced on by the opposition again when our defenders didn't react quick enough and then get passed inside the box again before the penalty was given away. But sure yeah, the forward who gave the ball away at the other end of the pitch was important in that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

tastyt wrote: »

I'd feel more sorry for him if he wasn't destabilising the dressing room at a crucial time by ratting to his journo buddies the minute something goes wrong, all the while putting in consistent 3/10 performances. He's done a lot for the club for sure but at the moment he's undoubtedly doing a lot more harm than good.

spiralism wrote: »
    I'd feel more sorry for him if he wasn't destabilising the dressing room at a crucial time by ratting to his journo buddies the minute something goes wrong, all the while putting in consistent 3/10 performances. He's done a lot for the club for sure but at the moment he's undoubtedly doing a lot more harm than good.

My God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yes, yes and no.

Out of all the Rooney talk over, this is the one that really stands out to me, tbh.

Wayne Rooney's touch has never, is not and will never be as good as Zlatan Ibrahimovic's. That's just completely false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

My God.

Do elaborate. He's been playing like absolute ****e and that's clear as day. And as for being the leak, who else is it? It's a senior player who was there in the Fergie days. That immediately narrows it to a handful of players. Rooney is the only one of those with previous for being disruptive and is badly underperforming, this takes focus off him.

In addition his agent has links with the journalist leaking the majority of stories and there were also links from the England squad in the euros, to the same journalist no less. Going off the basis that it's the same leak as it's the same journalist, that leaves Rooney and Smalling, as Young and Carrick weren't in the England squad at the euros. One has previous and his agent is close to the journalist breaking the story. Hmm.

spiralism wrote: »
    Do elaborate. He's been playing like absolute ****e and that's clear as day. And as for being the leak, who else is it? It's a senior player who was there in the Fergie days. That immediately narrows it to a handful of players. Rooney is the only one of those with previous for being disruptive and is badly underperforming, this takes focus off him.

In addition his agent has links with the journalist leaking the majority of stories and there were also links from the England squad in the euros, to the same journalist no less. Going off the basis that it's the same leak as it's the same journalist, that leaves Rooney and Smalling, as Young and Carrick weren't in the England squad at the euros. One has previous and his agent is close to the journalist breaking the story. Hmm.

"Well it wasn't Phil Jones, his jaw would fall off if he talked" - Some reddit poster :pac:

• Pro. F wrote: »
    1: A striker dropping deep occasionally, like the majority of strikers do in every game. And when the team are dominating the opposition and getting the midfielders and wide players into the box frequently it is even more normal for the striker to drop out at times. Rooney was still showing for passes off the shoulder and getting in position for the final ball in the box loads.

2: He was offside when Fosu-Mensah headed the ball because he had made a run for the pass from Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin chipped the pass out wide instead. This is the type of thing that happens hundreds of times in the top leagues every week and is not an error on anybody's part.

3: The cross he sliced was from chasing a through ball and just getting on to it as it was going over the bye-line. He was also crossing it off his left foot. Slicing that cross in that situation was a complete non-issue.

4: No, he hit it at the gap that Young was endeavouring to make at the end of the wall. When a free is that close to goal there is no option but to keep it low and then it's a bit of a lottery as to where it will bounce. That free-kick was perfectly fine.

5: A forward giving the ball away outside the opposition penalty area is not a problem. Except for tiki-taka teams, it happens all the time, from even the best forwards. The ball still had to travel past our midfield, past our defence, into our box, get cleared poorly, get pounced on by the opposition again when our defenders didn't react quick enough and then get passed inside the box again before the penalty was given away. But sure yeah, the forward who gave the ball away at the other end of the pitch was important in that goal.

Denial I say

Why bother dissecting? Anyone with a pair of eyes would agree with what I pointed out.
    Even someone who can post and watch the TV simultaneously. Shining a positive light on mediocrity.

Someone should applaud you for your effort over the last few weeks but it's not going to be me.

I wouldn't mind but I was one of those who has defended Rooney in the past but enough is enough.

IMO I have figured out why these arguments go on the way they do.

Someone uses the word lazy, go through the post with a fine tooth comb identify the word lazy as the next angle to bore people to death with 20+ posts until the poster gives up.

I'd say 9/10 fans really know what he means. He's frustrated at watching a player who no longer has what it takes to play in the first 11 for Man Utd.

My last post post on Rooney with you. Don't post to me about him again please. Think it's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

baz2009 wrote: »
    Out of all the Rooney talk over, this is the one that really stands out to me, tbh.

Wayne Rooney's touch has never, is not and will never be as good as Zlatan Ibrahimovic's. That's just completely false.

Don't disagree but if we were talking about what Zlaten has displayed as a United player they are not far off.

Been a bit disappointed with his touch and use of the ball so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rushford deserves credit for the attitude for 3rd goal too

Deserves to start at weekend for that alone. Showing leadership there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rushford deserves credit for the attitude for 3rd goal too

Deserves to start at weekend for that alone. Showing leadership there.

Carrick and Ander deserve a start at the weekend.

Morgan staked a claim.

As did Rashers.

Going to be very interesting to see how we line out but I fear we already know the first name on the team sheet already....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Id play a midfield 3 of at the weekend

Carrick
    Herrera - Podba

Stick Rashford in left wing and Miki in right wing if he is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Miki in right wing if he is fit.

I'm curious about this

I haven't seen anything from Miki so far to suggest he should start in the first XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I'm curious about this

I haven't seen anything from Miki so far to suggest he should start in the first XI

Barring a disastrous first half against The Arabs he has done pretty well in any of his cameos I thought. Even at that the entire team were shockingly bad in that 45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Finally a few people starting to see the light, carrick Herrera pogba midfield is the best we have at the club

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Carrick is good but he was playing with Morgan, Herrera and Blind around him.

For the next game I bet Fellaini would look very good with Pogba, Herrera and Blind around him (based on his start to the season).

• DM_7 wrote: »

For the next game I bet Fellaini would look very good with Pogba, Herrera and Blind around him (based on his start to the season).

Competition is healthy to a certain degree but Jose needs to focus on what his best 11 are. He doesn't know yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

DM_7 wrote: »

Fellaini or anybody for that matter at the club don't have the passing skills of carrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just my 2 cents on the game last night.

People are saying Rooney crossed well, ran well , defended well but couldn't pass the ball 5 yards. However, the only thing of importance to me is that Overall I thought he was pretty average.

I thought Herrera was very neat and tidy in possession, one of his passes for Rojo in the 1st half in behind the defence with his 1st touch was sublime, I also think he's a real goal threat and he's not afraid to have a shot.

Carrick was good, but he's always consistently good, and with the amount of time given to him by northhampton you'd expect him to control the game. I don't think he gets that amount of time if he plays with Herrera with Pogba ahead.

Morgan was good, broke up play but carried the ball and drove when he had the chance. Few misplaced passes but nothing too much to worry about.

Fosu-Mensah, all i remember was his hands going up on numerous occasions trying to play offside only for him to jog back (or so it looked) when the decision wasn't given. Thought he was very poor with the ball. He was unlucky not to score. On last nights evidence I wouldn't be putting him at right back.

A win we needed badly, if we can follow this up with a result against the league champs on saturday it will be a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Polo_Mint wrote:

Based on his couple of cameos and one start while injured for United, or on his overall ability when you include his Dortmund time also? He's a highly skilled operator settling into a new team, he will become a fixture in our best XI by seasons end.

He has done well in the cameos given and struggled in the start he got, supposedly due to injury.

baz2009 wrote: »

In the past I would agree. But this season Ibra and Rooney have been pretty much the same at holding onto and laying off the ball with their first touch.

I know a lot of ye like it, but is there any chance a mod could make referring to Rashford as "Rashers" a stoning offence?

Little help here TSC? :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• I know a lot of ye like it, but is there any chance a mod could make referring to Rashford as "Rashers" a stoning offence?

Little help here TSC? :)

Awww

Booo

Its beginning to make my eyeballs bleed when I am catching up on the thread :)

Its beginning to make my eyeballs bleed when I am catching up on the thread :)

Remember the nickname Viper? I think that was it. Remember who that was for?

Remember the nickname Viper? I think that was it. Remember who that was for?

No, it rings a bell but it seems to have been permanently blocked out from my memory :D

Was it Adnan? I remember a spate of nicknames at one point but thankfully it seems to have become one of those repressed memories!

It was Ronaldo's nickname from this thread. Sometimes spelled "v7per" for added 1337-ness. Only Ronaldo could have carried it off. But, you have to think Rashford deserves more than to be called after a breakfast meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nalz wrote: »
    Missed the game, my first arrived today at 11:43am. Another United fab enters the world.

Delighted

Heard a certain player was below par again? Howd the rest do? Rojo do anything to warrant his place in the squad?

Wahay congrats man!

bangkok wrote: »
    Finally a few people starting to see the light, carrick Herrera pogba midfield is the best we have at the club

35 year old champion league and serial league winner, puts in a good performance against league 1 side.....

I'll be surprised to see Carrick feature against Leicester.

Hererra and Schneiderlan from their Europa and last night performances have definitely given Mourinho something to think about.

Rooney just further compounded his misery and has made Mourinho's decision just easy at this stage. He should be on the bench for Saturday.

Other than that no real changes I'd say. Rashford probably further pushing his place in the team, at the likely expense of Martial.

Probably expect a return of Bailly and Smalling at the weekend.

Memphis gradually rebuilding himself, quietly positive about him again. It wasn't mind blowing, but it was a step in the right direction.

It was Ronaldo's nickname from this thread. Sometimes spelled "v7per" for added 1337-ness. Only Ronaldo could have carried it off. But, you have to think Rashford deserves more than to be called after a breakfast meat.

Ah yeah its all flooding back V7per :D Bit better then Rashers in fairness!

bangkok wrote: »
    Fellaini or anybody for that matter at the club don't have the passing skills of carrick.

Blind is just as competent as Carrick. And Blind has the added benefit of not ****ting a brick when he gets put under a bit of pressure.

In the past I would agree. But this season Ibra and Rooney have been pretty much the same at holding onto and laying off the ball with their first touch.

They really havn't.

Feels like you've put so much effort into defending Rooney your starting to make your own outrageous statements you accuse others off.

Zlatan's interplay and one touch layoffs have been so far superior to Rooney.

Granted Zlatan has had some lose touches too here and there, Rooney hasn't been close. Just not close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Who is gonna play left back on sat with shaw out because rojo surely can't? What about blind left back with bailly and smalling CB.

Then
    Carrick
    Herrera pogba
    Rashford someone (prob Rooney even though he shouldn't play)
    Ibra

• unplayable details who should play and shouldn't play on Saturday
    I found a giggle somewhere

TheDoc wrote: »
    They really havn't.

Zlatan's interplay and one touch layoffs have been so far superior to Rooney.

Granted Zlatan has had some lose touches too here and there, Rooney hasn't been close. Just not close.

They really have.

Zlatan has had more than a few loose touches and poorly placed lay-offs. But he has been more often playing in a more difficult role in that regard (right at the point). Overall, the two of them have been similar in terms of quality of first touch.
    Feels like you've put so much effort into defending Rooney your starting to make your own outrageous statements you accuse others off.

Blah, blah, blah.

Blind is just as competent as Carrick. And Blind has the added benefit of not ****ting a brick when he gets put under a bit of pressure.

Blind isn't as good a passer as Carrick and he isn't as good as Carrick at dealing with the ball under pressure. I'm not a fan of Carrick, but he is a far superior DM to Blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Im fairly sure blind "****ted a brick" when he backed out of the 50/50 with de bruyne which they scored from.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement