Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bit of a techy question here, Santa brought me a new laptop and I want to continue on with my Waterford save on it.Downloaded Steam etc grand, installed the game ok but obviously the save game is not on the local drive of this laptop, I went on to my old one and saved the game to cloud aswell thinking it would show up for me on the cloud in the load game option on the new lappy but it hasn't.

Any way of getting it on to the new laptop or do I just have to start again?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bit of a techy question here, Santa brought me a new laptop and I want to continue on with my Waterford save on it.Downloaded Steam etc grand, installed the game ok but obviously the save game is not on the local drive of this laptop, I went on to my old one and saved the game to cloud aswell thinking it would show up for me on the cloud in the load game option on the new lappy but it hasn't.

Any way of getting it on to the new laptop or do I just have to start again?

Just find the save file on your old pc and stick it on a USB and plonk it somewhere on your laptop. Then open a save game in Fm on the laptop and find it.

Or use a file sharing service. I used to save to my Dropbox folder so that when I was very quite in work I'd have my latest save.

Cheers Ill give it a try

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just after finishing the best season I have ever had. We've gone 31 games unbeaten in the league, P33 W29 D3 L1, finished the season with a record points tally of 90!! Only conceded 10 goals all season, scored 65. Also won a record number of matches for the league in 29.

Topped my group in the CL too. Beat Chelsea to secure a place in the next round 2-0 and they only managed one shot on goal!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Newry A.F.C. Season 2 :

After guiding Newry to a sixth place and top half finish in season one despite only taking over halfway into the season, I set about trying to build a decent squad. However, I quickly realised that doing so with a semi pro outfit who can only sign players on a non-contract basis is considerably harder than I would have liked. I had a veteran striker up front in Sean McMullen who just had to be shipped off. I brought in decent youngsters, but the lad who was most responsible for our good run at the end of last season, Jimmy Walker, decided to up sticks an leave, leaving a gaping hole behind my striker. Signed a left back (who went on to play at left wing for the rest of the season!), and a right back, and a striker (20 year old Rhys Grainger to replace McMullen, but couldn't find a replacement for Walker so I had to look within my own squad. I fired another youngster by the name of William Wright in there for the first game of the season and I haven't looked back since.

The board still wants a top half finish this season, along with a fifth round showing in the N.I. Cup.

The league didn't go so well, and for a few weeks we were lingering above the dropzone, and with me being unable to offer any contracts (even non contracts) to any of my players due to them wanting us to ensure safety first, there seemed to be a mass exodus from my squad with ten players in all leaving in a short space of time. Thankfully, both Grainger and Wright love me so they stayed. At the same time, a managerial vacancy opened up at Ards (who were relegated from the Premier the previous season) and I was being touted as one of the favourites for the job. Looking at how much my squad had just been decimated, it was so tempting to apply. I was even asked by the media about it. Had Ards contacted me who knows what would have happened. Thankfully, the remainder of the squad regrouped and pulled ourselves out of the relegation battle to a relatively respectable 8th place finish.

As for the cups though, we managed to reach the 6th round in the main N.I. Cup, and knocked out in the second round of the league cup to Premier side Portadown (board expected us to "be competitive").

There was still one more cup left though, the N.I. Intermediate Cup (No Premier Teams), where we managed to navigate our way all the way to the final, including an amazing 3-2 extra time win against Dundela despite losing 2-0 at half time. This was also with squad so thread bare that I could realistically only make one sub. So, onwards to the final against...Ards. Who else?! Not only that, but we were going to have to face them without my main striker Grainger. Thankfully, my head of youth development had finally decided to do something after about a year at the club and had recruited a good few younsters for my assessment about a month previous. One of these was 16 year old Neil Downey who, you guessed it, was about to write his name in the Newry history books a lot sooner than he ever would have imagined. 34 minutes into the final, 20 yard screamer into the top corner! Ards did come back with an equaliser though just after the break, which eventually saw us into extra-time and penalties, two of which were saved by our keeper. We scored all of ours, including Downey himself. Champions! First trophy in the history of Newry AFC. Boom!

In the close season now, and the best thing in the game has just happened for me. The board have finally accepted my request to be sent on a coaching course! I needed that badly! :)

I have my one trophy from Northern Ireland though. I know it's not quite a top level one, but at least I won't feel guilty if I get bored of this league and move on! :pac:

Trophy haul :
    Country | Season | Trophy
    Northern Ireland | 2017/18 | N.I. Intermediate Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Won back-to-back promotions from the 5th tier to the 3rd tier in my Korean save and then the next season never started. What a waste of time...

Simmed 12 months to see if it would update the following year, but nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Any recommendations on a decent left back for villa. Have a couple of mill to spend and i am in my first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

bigron2109 wrote:
    Any recommendations on a decent left back for villa. Have a couple of mill to spend and i am in my first season.

Toni Lato/ Charlie Taylor

Just won the league (SSE Premier Division) with 8 games remaining and I'm currently on a 56 match unbeaten run! Last season, got to the First knockout round but lost 1-0 on agg to Juventus.

In the group stages this year with PSG, Atletico and Zenit.

Stupid Chairman wont give me 4k a week considering he gets a nice dividend at the end of every season and the club has about 30 million in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just won the league (SSE Premier Division) with 8 games remaining and I'm currently on a 56 match unbeaten run! Last season, got to the First knockout round but lost 1-0 on agg to Juventus.

In the group stages this year with PSG, Atletico and Zenit.

Stupid Chairman wont give me 4k a week considering he gets a nice dividend at the end of every season and the club has about 30 million in the bank.

What year you on? I'm in 2024 with 2.3k, City have national reputation. Yet to win a game in the group stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If you can't beat them, join them. :o

I feel dirty, but in my defense I was out of contract and the board would not let me relay the pitch or upgrade our scouting range!

What year you on? I'm in 2024 with 2.3k, City have national reputation. Yet to win a game in the group stages

2022. Have won or two in the group stages, PSG just beat me 3-0 away in our first match, but we put up a good fight, I'm hoping we'll win the home fixture. We still arent a club that the top players come to so I do have a squad average age of 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Tempted to get this after only finishing a game of FM16 I played on and off over a full year... Looking for interesting club(s) to manage that aren't the usual obvious ones... Can you manage Chinese clubs? Is they money nuts as in real life? Could be a fun save

Winning the league each season now, 4 in a row with Waterford. Have had mixed success in Europe, best was reaching the CL group stages once and finishing 3rd in the group ahead of Villarreal incredibly to me. Have reached the quarters of the Euro cup before losing 3-1 on agg to Hertha.

Struggling to stay motivated, I keep getting offers from England, even a couple of Premier League teams at this stage, the ones at the bottom of the table in December/January like. I went for a job with Middlesborough,they would have been too tough for me to turn down given how much money they have, facilities, potential etc. They went in another direction though after the interview and in a way I was happy enough too as I do want to stick it out with Waterford for another few seasons and see what kind of progress I can make if any on a European scale before leaving, ultimately dooming them to return to mediocrity (so says my ego)

Until a job I can't turn down comes along I think I should be ok, Leeds, Forest etc don't tempt me enough. My squad average age is still just 25, only a couple of experienced heads in there and I find I am now Bayern Munich-ing the division for the hell of it, buying the best players from the opposition even if I don't actually need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Winning the league each season now, 4 in a row with Waterford. Have had mixed success in Europe, best was reaching the CL group stages once and finishing 3rd in the group ahead of Villarreal incredibly to me. Have reached the quarters of the Euro cup before losing 3-1 on agg to Hertha.

Struggling to stay motivated, I keep getting offers from England, even a couple of Premier League teams at this stage, the ones at the bottom of the table in December/January like. I went for a job with Middlesborough,they would have been too tough for me to turn down given how much money they have, facilities, potential etc. They went in another direction though after the interview and in a way I was happy enough too as I do want to stick it out with Waterford for another few seasons and see what kind of progress I can make if any on a European scale before leaving, ultimately dooming them to return to mediocrity (so says my ego)

Until a job I can't turn down comes along I think I should be ok, Leeds, Forest etc don't tempt me enough. My squad average age is still just 25, only a couple of experienced heads in there and I find I am now Bayern Munich-ing the division for the hell of it, buying the best players from the opposition even if I don't actually need them.

Isn't that what Joeys agent used to say to him in Friends when he bombed an audition ? :D

I'm not getting any offers from any of the English clubs, has Brexit happened in your game StringerBell? Normally I'd be hounded but because of Brexit - I've not been approached despite winning all around me and doing quite well in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Got this for Christmas and it runs quite slow on my laptop which is a bit annoying. Only running the 5 home nations leagues.

Starting off with my beloved Harps and finding it very difficult to sign players.

If I run just the League of Ireland doesn't that reduce the chances of signing players from the Irish League for instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This game is freaking me out. Dembele and Dybala brought into my squad.

A summer spent trying to offload players I don't want, cant shift them.

Start the league with three straight losses. The fixture list that got drawn IS MENTAL. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, City, Everton my first six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Do you not have a DoF to get rid of the players. Best use for a DoF i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Loving my Cork City save. Not got out of CL group yet but im starting to rack up the money. Have about 53mil now but slight killer is the poor Irish prize money. Won my first away game in CL group too beating Sparta Prague. My spine is made up of 3 Brazilians I got on a free which they are now valued at 25 million combined.

Only lost 1 game in LOI in 3 seasons.

Going to add 2 good players for coming season. Aim is to get out of CL group

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm not getting any offers from any of the English clubs, has Brexit happened in your game StringerBell? Normally I'd be hounded but because of Brexit - I've not been approached despite winning all around me and doing quite well in Europe!

Yeah Brexit came a couple of seasons ago, can't remember off the top of my head how tough it was but I know it was a pretty harsh one, I find English teams happy to loan players to me more since in fact funnily enough, the player gains EU citizenship while on loan with me then...dunno why but they all do it.

I tend to buy Irish and Northern Irish players, couple of smaller nations too and English, 70% of my signings have been Irish though so I suppose Brexit wouldn't really impact that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pter wrote: »
    Do you not have a DoF to get rid of the players. Best use for a DoF i think!

I have Ed Woodward assigned to clear out the players I don't want, just keeps coming back saying he cant shift them.

I'd imagine the wages are the issue with the players not wanting to leave.

Ibrahimovic, Rooney and Schweinsteiger are the three I'm currently trying to offload. Feel a bit bad for Ibra as he scored like 28 goals for me last season, but with Dybala, Martial and Rashford I don't need four strikers.

Rooney I was trying to shift from the minute I got FM17. Sent him off to Everton on loan, hes back and with the under 23's (13 goals in 6 games haha) and Genoa are the latest club taking him on loan.

Just want those big wages of the books.

Mental little bug with Schweinsteiger. La Galaxy every few days log a bid I accept, Schweinsteiger then agrees terms, and the transfer fails due to them having the max amount of foreign players. They repeat this cycle, its going on about 8 ingame months ffs

Loving my Cork City save. Not got out of CL group yet but im starting to rack up the money. Have about 53mil now but slight killer is the poor Irish prize money. Won my first away game in CL group too beating Sparta Prague. My spine is made up of 3 Brazilians I got on a free which they are now valued at 25 million combined.

Only lost 1 game in LOI in 3 seasons.

Going to add 2 good players for coming season. Aim is to get out of CL group

Cork are always my main rivals for the league, and the domestic cups. They always have very good young players coming through, youth recruitment is excellent and a lot of their players I can't even Bayern Munich off them cause they have no interest in joining (the 4 time league champs, all domestic cup winning, CL football getting, highest wage in the division paying, Super Blues!)

I've done it on the 4th attempt! Got out of a champions cup group with Cork others were Monaco, Sporting and Celtic. I came 2nd in a very soft group with 12 points, 6 points from Celtic and 2 home wins against the other 2. We've drawn Spurs in the next round!

Currently in December 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

with breixt, it happened when i was managing in India for a few years so i did not get the message. currently in my 3rd Season with Southampton, and can only sign players from Irish+UK region and every other player needs a work permit. So is that a medium or hard exit?

Note got to the group stages of the champions league this season and the game *&^$ me, drawn against Barcelona PSG & Dortmund so just the 2nd 3rd and 6th best teams in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mental little bug with Schweinsteiger. La Galaxy every few days log a bid I accept, Schweinsteiger then agrees terms, and the transfer fails due to them having the max amount of foreign players. They repeat this cycle, its going on about 8 ingame months ffs

Same thing happened in my Arsenal save for Santi Cazorla.

In fairness, they are 3 tough players to get rid of :D

Dundalk have become my rivals in the game even though it was just Cork City, nice touch to see finally happen although Dundalk are having a mare of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I've done it on the 4th attempt! Got out of a champions cup group with Cork others were Monaco, Sporting and Celtic. I came 2nd in a very soft group with 12 points, 6 points from Celtic and 2 home wins against the other 2. We've drawn Spurs in the next round!

Currently in December 2024.

Fair play just going onto 2024 now with Cork.

I will need 2 or 3 more good players though to push me close

John Kavanagh is my only survivor 8 seasons in

• Advertisement

Finished up the season unbeaten - and still 64 games unbeaten in the league!!

Advertisement