Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hey, sorry I don't know where else to put this but I'm looking to buy a new laptop and can't decide which one is the best to get...

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-15au071sa-156-laptop-blue/332622/396.0.0#video

or

http://lapteck.com/product/lenovo-ideapad-110-pentium/

or this one

http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-15au072sa-156-laptop-white/338082/401.0.0

If anyone can give me any help into which one to get, It would be greatly appreciated

As football manager is based on CPU I would go for something with a i5 min if your planning on running a few leagues with a fee divisions.

I have a i7 in my mac with 16gb of ram it runs 5 leagues and I think 5 divisions per league with no effort.

So try and get something with a good CPU. Also a SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Having grown a little tired of my Bologna team after winning another 3 trophies (League, Euro Cup, Italian Cup) I decided to resign in the summer. I have left them in very good shape, not many older players, plenty hitting peak and some young future superstars with a good bank balance, just didn't like the Italian league much if I'm totally honest and 3 years and 2 league titles is enough for me.

Applied for the Brazil job but they turned me down, rejected all offers over the summer and went on holiday until November. Few clubs came in, Gelsenkerkin, Hamburg, Vigo, Sevilla, St Etienne, Watford, the closest I came to signing was Newcastle, decent squad and plenty of potential obviously, then Marseille walked in after the Newcastle job interview to show me their wares and my head was turned.

So its the French league for a while I guess!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Just had the crazyist result I have ever has in football manager today.

In my 10th year as Lupa Roma manager I hammered juventus 9 nil I was like the hell is going on here?.

I think I might have the best team I have ever had in football manager squad of 24 players 15 of them itlaiins as try my best to keep home grown players in the team as 6 of the 24 are from my own youths and are all starters in the Italy team. We'll to be fair about 12 of them are in the italy team ha.

My re gen forword is something else I bought him when he was 20. 24 now from a team in Germany paid I think 30 mil only played maybe 20 games and had 10 goals but this guy was so worth the risk and scores for fun. He reminds me of a player from football manager 2014 called Darren Watson a re gen scored 15 goals in 20 games for West brom at 18 years old. Bought him and he got 60 goals in his 1st season for me as was so worth the risk.

Haveing said that the amount of flops I have had is nuts. So guys who is your must costly flop ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just had the crazyist result I have ever has in football manager today.

In my 10th year as Lupa Roma manager I hammered juventus 9 nil I was like the hell is going on here?.

I think I might have the best team I have ever had in football manager squad of 24 players 15 of them itlaiins as try my best to keep home grown players in the team as 6 of the 24 are from my own youths and are all starters in the Italy team. We'll to be fair about 12 of them are in the italy team ha.

My re gen forword is something else I bought him when he was 20. 24 now from a team in Germany paid I think 30 mil only played maybe 20 games and had 10 goals but this guy was so worth the risk and scores for fun. He reminds me of a player from football manager 2014 called Darren Watson a re gen scored 15 goals in 20 games for West brom at 18 years old. Bought him and he got 60 goals in his 1st season for me as was so worth the risk.

Haveing said that the amount of flops I have had is nuts. So guys who is your must costly flop ever?

Benzema for 2.5 million and 210k a week at Wolves

In my game as well saint etienne have been spending like 100 mil a season in France and still have not won anything crazy ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bloody raging, Limerick have dropped two places in Europe and also Premier division dropped again, we did have a group stage and now we are gone back to second qualifying phase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In with an outside chance of CL qualification, which is good considering the points gap when I came in. 5 points off it now with 6 to go and the team above have been drawing a lot with just 3 wins in their last 12 league games. We have won 5 in 5 lately but costly draws to the teams directly above us have left us with a lot to do 5-5 draw with Monaco and 0-0 with Bastia one after the other was tough.

In the quarter finals of the Euro Cup and the French Cup too so plenty to play for this season, which is great, but stretching the squad a plenty!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bloody hell - every time I get drawn in the group stages I get drawn against Chelsea and/or Barcelone or both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Is it just me or does every regen hate big matches?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, teams suggestion?

I want somewhere with decent youth facilities, but a decent enough transfer wage as well. Not massive, but enough to play round with. Would rather a third tier team that I can build up over a few seasons. Maybe have one or two good kids already to start building round?

Thinking Southampton? I tend to stick in England, but thats due to ignorance of other leagues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was literally going posting the same question as above.

Outgrown my United save and am looking to start fresh with a team in League One, with the ultimate aim to get them to Europe. Someone with decent financial security and youth system. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Go for Fulham. Always find starting in the Champo adds a couple of extra challenges to a game and keeps it fresh a season or two longer.

With S'Hmpton, you will be in the CL in year 2 or 3, and once you get that cash and spend it wisely, you will be bored by season 4 or 5.

With Fulham, you have a similar club which would first have to get into the PL, follow that with a season of staying the the PL, and then move on to the CL phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Shalke are the team to go for if you're looking for good youth prospects and a constant stream of top youths every year.
    Start with Max Meyer, Goreska etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I'm partial to a good Fleetwood save who seem to tick all your box's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'm a fan of playing with fallen Premiership teams so Sheffield Wednesday would be a good one at the moment, and winning the Champions League with Nottingham Forest is always a good challenge.

Finished my 4th season with Dundalk unbeaten in the league with 32 wins, 1 draw, over 100 goals with only 5 goals conceded. Came 2nd in my Champions League group to Atletico Madrid who we stole a 1-0 win from; unfortunately we were hammered by Arsenal in the last 16 10-0 on aggregate. Aside from that we've managed to stay unbeaten so far after 13 games of the 2020 season. My homegrown regen striker is still at the club after finishing last season with 48 goals in all competitions. The chap is vital to my team's success so it's infuriating when Newcastle & West Brom keep offering £1.5m for him then he gets p***ed when I reject them. Once the window closes he tends to drop the complaint and sign a new contract (currently signed up until the end of 2023). In the year and a half since that post his technical & mental attributes have only increased slightly but physically he has gotten faster, fitter & stronger.

I had a falling out with Graham Carey (ex Bohs loanee now at Plymouth) after a year cos he wanted to go to a bigger club - selling him to the mighty Dundee for £75k in the summer. I am actually disappointed as he was really good and scored a few crackers for me.

The Ireland job has been terrible though; we failed to qualify for the Euros, lost in the playoff semi final to Turkey and while the FAI didn't fire me I'm strongly considering resigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The game keeps crashing on my when I look at the highlights of my reserve team, anyone else having this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm a fan of playing with fallen Premiership teams so Sheffield Wednesday would be a good one at the moment,. and winning the Champions League with Nottingham Forest is always a good challenge

Finished my 4th season with Dundalk unbeaten in the league with 32 wins, 1 draw, over 100 goals with only 5 goals conceded. Came 2nd in my Champions League group to Atletico Madrid who we stole a 1-0 win from; unfortunately we were hammered by Arsenal in the last 16 10-0 on aggregate. Aside from that we've managed to stay unbeaten so far after 13 games of the 2020 season. My homegrown regen striker is still at the club after finishing last season with 48 goals in all competitions. The chap is vital to my team's success so it's infuriating when Newcastle & West Brom keep offering £1.5m for him then he gets p***ed when I reject them. Once the window closes he tends to drop the complaint and sign a new contract (currently signed up until the end of 2023). In the year and a half since that post his technical & mental attributes have only increased slightly but physically he has gotten faster, fitter & stronger.

I had a falling out with Graham Carey (ex Bohs loanee now at Plymouth) after a year cos he wanted to go to a bigger club - selling him to the mighty Dundee for £75k in the summer. I am actually disappointed as he was really good and scored a few crackers for me.

The Ireland job has been terrible though; we failed to qualify for the Euros, lost in the playoff semi final to Turkey and while the FAI didn't fire me I'm strongly considering resigning.

I like that challenge. I just got sacked by Forest after 3 seasons and 2 heart breaking play off semi final defeats on pens in 3 years. Going to start it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have not played an FM game since 15, but have got the itch to play again after putting hundreds of hours into previous entries, the question is how stable is the game at the moment, I know it did not have smoothest of launches excluding the Chinese backlash, is it worth picking up or going with 16 for less than a tenner and using a data update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Picked this up on sale. Weird they split it into two versions this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I have to say, FM17 is their best effort in a decade. I've bought most of the last few games and not managed to put more than a dozen or so hours into it. I've 450 hours logged this time around. I love how simple they've made things and how well they've managed to implement social media and things like transfer rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I have to say, FM17 is their best effort in a decade. I've bought most of the last few games and not managed to put more than a dozen or so hours into it. I've 450 hours logged this time around. I love how simple they've made things and how well they've managed to implement social media and things like transfer rumours.

I haven't got a handle on it at all, much like 2016. I think that's me done with the FM series now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Deportivo World and European champions in mine 3 years in a row
    Think its time for a new challenge but I dont wanna leave my players out of ahem .... Loyalty :D

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I haven't got a handle on it at all, much like 2016. I think that's me done with the FM series now.

That's where I was for years. I don't know why I kept buying it every time I saw a sale.

I just like now that it is so 'pick-up-and-play'. No silly sliders to tweak mentalities, no complicated training schedules or tactics which you need to tweak 15 times a game to react to everything the opposition does. Just buy players, put them in a formation, apply a high-level gameplan/mentality and watch the game play out. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Beefy78 wrote:
    That's where I was for years. I don't know why I kept buying it every time I saw a sale.

Beefy78 wrote:
    I just like now that it is so 'pick-up-and-play'. No silly sliders to tweak mentalities, no complicated training schedules or tactics which you need to tweak 15 times a game to react to everything the opposition does. Just buy players, put them in a formation, apply a high-level gameplan/mentality and watch the game play out. Love it.

You're not playing the full fat version then lol

Yes I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

I keep getting the urge to start a new game but can't seem to stick with one this time around.

Not sure if it's that I haven't found the right challenge to keep my interest or if I'm just getting sick of the series but I'm losing interest quicker than I have with previous versions.

Having said that, I'll probably still continue to buy it each year...

Switched off there a few months ago, havent bothered turning it on at all. It's definitely my last purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Switched off there a few months ago, havent bothered turning it on at all. It's definitely my last purchase.

I have found myself trying to get get myself into this edition, the inconsistency of tactics and difficulty is infuriating. I know people will say play the light version, but for me it's not FM enough for me. I think the balance between challenging and fun has gotten out of line

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Mc Love wrote: »

Same. I put a massive 30 hours into 17 this year. Just couldn't enjoy it enough to stick.

Will pass on 18 and see how I feel in a year or two. Might go back to Fm13/14 with transfer updates or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Put 10 seasons into FM16 a few weeks back, not a single crash or issue that I could see, besides Bayern getting relegated in season 7, although that was more funny than anything else.

Advertisement