Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Manager 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Trying to start a game with Dundalk but the players are starting completely unfamiliar with tactics of any kind - it's as if they've never played football before. I had previously set up a test save just to see how the players were rated compared to last year and could have sworn they started fairly familiar with my tactic since it's how Dundalk play in real life.

Am I doing something wrong, is it a glitch or is this just how it starts in the new game? As it is I'm looking at entering the season with players who haven't a clue of our tactic no matter how I set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Trying to start a game with Dundalk but the players are starting completely unfamiliar with tactics of any kind - it's as if they've never played football before. I had previously set up a test save just to see how the players were rated compared to last year and could have sworn they started fairly familiar with my tactic since it's how Dundalk play in real life.

Am I doing something wrong, is it a glitch or is this just how it starts in the new game? As it is I'm looking at entering the season with players who haven't a clue of our tactic no matter how I set up.

Welcome to the new football manager. Maybe if your manager stats are higher the easier it is. I found the beta much easier than the full game

Mc Love wrote: »
    Welcome to the new football manager. Maybe if your manager stats are higher the easier it is. I found the beta much easier than the full game

Just noticed that there's no stats for the 2015 LOI season, looks like all the players took a year off. Kind of annoying when the game is telling me Ronan Finn just made his debut despite being a key player in a double winning team. Is this a common problem in the game? Don't recall it happening last year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lot more in depth now to last time I bought it in 12. I got handheld last year and while enjoyable I wanted try full version.

Started off with Atletico Madrid. 2 seasons gone, two 4th place finishes, but won Cl in 2nd season beating Barca in final with Greizman getting belter to win it

I play 4-3-3 with DM.

Defensive or Structured, Flexible, slow tempo, narrow width, stay in feet,be more disiplined, work into box, Pass to Space are the tactics.

If anyone is doing better please feel free to share. Have exams coming up so wont get play lot more till before xmas but hope least get couple more seasons done.

3rd in season 3, with QF in CL.

I'm starting to like the January window now too when you can approach players to sign that are having their contracts expire in 6 months. Got Honda and Strootman previous 2 seasons on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I've found difficulty about right so far... Got 3 tactics on the bounce, 1 is clearly useless so I may delete it, one is ok for grinding a draw out of tough games and then got a nice 433 (false 9 and 2 inside forwards) going which is going well enough. 4th at xmas with marseille seems right enough.

One thing that really bugs me is when you buy a player that is better than anyone else on the team, and when you look at the team report and it says that the rest of the team isnt as good anymore. Really gets me goat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

I would love to see a dynamic league price money.

As a leagues Reputation increases the prize money for the league would increases, like wise if the league decreases.

But i doubt we would see that for years

Yes it happened, I started out unemployed no experiance or past playing, got a job in India, 4 seasons in and definitely the prize money has increased over the years

It happens in the LOI too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Think I'll purchase this tonight as I'm off now for the weekend and I didn't purchase it on release day as I was enjoying my save with Blackburn rovers .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

I realized my football manager career is the polar opposite how I act in real life. I show no loyalty at all any time a bigger job comes I take it. I was loving Liverpool and got 250 mill in bank for first season back, then Arsenal job became available and already Im throwing flirty looks at them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Kal El wrote:
    I realized my football manager career is the polar opposite how I act in real life. I show no loyalty at all any time a bigger job comes I take it. I was loving Liverpool and got 250 mill in bank for first season back, then Arsenal job became available and already Im throwing flirty looks at them

But you're at the much bigger job dude....

But you're at the much bigger job dude....

Bigger job yes, bigger team no :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hey lads,

Quick question...

I see FM 2017 is available as a Steam Key on Amazon for £34.99 (it's €54.99 on steam) but when you click into it won't sell it to users in Ireland.

It's pretty easy to switch to UK as your location on amazon. If some unscrupulous person was to buy it on amazon as a UK based person and use the steam key on their computer in Ireland would there be any problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I recently bought a key online off instant gaming for €29.39. It's mentioned a few pages back in this thread! Had no issues, very smooth transaction

Just beaten Partizan 4-2 in the Europa Lge 2nd qualifying round with Limerick :D

• Advertisement

If you guys can sign Ryan Seager you should at first chance
    Signed him on loan for Bradford and he scored 22 in 42 games, then got him on a free for championship scored 14 in 42(I had left the club though) when I got relegated with Liverpool I got him for 3.5million. He scored 33 in 42 for me in championship. Now in premier league hes got 10 in 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone signed Luka Jovic on this years one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Cdkeys.com for around the €30 mark. Touch version thrown in for free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Secured the National League South title last night with Gosport Borough with a One Nil defeat at home :D needed a win to secure the league, but the second place team failed to win away from home so got the title with 3 games to run.

My first silverware and in my second season with Gosport, having been sacked by FC United after 6 months.

Now the question is lead them into the national league or find a new job - have had 6 interviews with teams in League 1 and the Championships but I clearly don't do well with interviews as I haven't been offered a post...

Uriel. wrote: »
    Secured the National League South title last night with Gosport Borough with a One Nil defeat at home :D needed a win to secure the league, but the second place team failed to win away from home so got the title with 3 games to run.

My first silverware and in my second season with Gosport, having been sacked by FC United after 6 months.

Now the question is lead them into the national league or find a new job - have had 6 interviews with teams in League 1 and the Championships but I clearly don't do well with interviews as I haven't been offered a post...

Keep going with them. I commend you for starting at such a low level. What previous experience did you use as manager?

Get Gosport to the Premiership :pac:

• Advertisement

Keep going with them. I commend you for starting at such a low level. What previous experience did you use as manager?

Get Gosport to the Premiership :pac:

:)

Sunday footballer or something like that. Low level playing career anyway.

Biggest issue as I have mentioned before is fiances, really hard to build any depth when you're over the wage budget and losing money.

The only thing really keeping the club afloat is cup runs. FA Cup 2nd round and a poor enough effort only getting to the 1st round of the FA trophy after killing most of the opposition in the qualifiers.

Those two cup runs probably paid 2.5 months wages, maybe a little more.
    Club still going into the Summer almost €125k in debt, but season tickets sales, sponsorship and tv revenue money hopefully clear the debt with cups runs keeping us in the black until January before gradually falling back into debt until the off season balances us out out again and the cycle restarts.

My Limerick team is over a million in the red!! All I can do/have been able to do is sign free transfers. Wage budget is okish, but I'm over it.
    Got about 500k from my european exploits last season, still 1.3 mill in debt.

I'm the same experience wise, and the club wont fund me on a coaching course, or any of my coaches. It's so bad! I have signed coaches that are waaay better than me.

Finished my first season with Dundalk and next season is shaping up to be very interesting. I finished 2nd, too inconsistent early on giving Cork a huge lead which we were close to clawing back but lost 3 of my last 5 league games. On the plus side I won the FAI Cup and mirrored our success in Europe by qualifying for the Europa League. Bet the Armenian champions & Ludogoretz before Olympiakos beat us in the playoff; in the group we got Roma, BATE & Maccabi Tel Aviv which I thought was quite funny. We beat Tel Aviv twice & got 4 points against BATE to go through to the next round where we play Manchester United :(

Thing is I wasn't alone - Shamrock Rovers made it into the groups too and while they only got a point they still have loads of money to compete with me in the transfer market. They just bought David McMillan from me for £200k! So next season has a good Cork team entering the Champions League, Pats, Rovers & my Dundalk side in the Europa. In old games once I qualified for the groups I would go on to dominate the league but with so much competition I'm looking forward to the challenge.

You should put that in the snapshot thread. Serious money for mcmillan, offer too good to refuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I've an alcoholic in my team. He missed training 3in a row cause he was in the pub. I fined him and he got upset stating hes a professional. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

2 more times , hes a beaut !! lol

Untitled.png

I had the same happen me - player was in a club, I fined him and he said that he was only out because he missed the celebrations of the cup win, the previous night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Having to be a scrooge myself for the moment with not being able to afford the game, I'm playing/living vicariously through all of you currently :p Can anyone tele how Tielemans of Anderlecht is doing? Even better if you signed him :pac:

He was one of my standout players in last years game.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Does anyone know if you can change your manager appearance mid game?

I just did it quickly when I first started, have gotten quite into my current save and never gave the facial recognition feature a go.

Paladonia wrote: »

I just did it quickly when I first started, have gotten quite into my current save and never gave the facial recognition feature a go.

I don't think so unless you add a manager

• Advertisement

So this just happened Eoin%20Naughton_%20%20Inbox_zpsqakok7je.png

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Kal El wrote:
    Bigger job yes, bigger team no

Ha..... Please
    Bigger job , bigger club.

You should put that in the snapshot thread. Serious money for mcmillan, offer too good to refuse?

Didn't even notice it, must have a look. Yeah pretty much. He had a really good season, 26 goals in all competitions including some important goals in Europe. But in games where he didn't score he didn't offer much and £200k plus add-ons was too much to turn down when I could sign Chris Fagan on a free and Ciaran O'Connor back after a successful loan. Plus I wanted Brandon Miele from them but compensation was £375k so this made that easier. I have over £2m in my transfer budget but I won't touch it - the club would go under if I didn't qualify and spent that much!
    Paladonia wrote: »

I'd test the facial recognition on a throwaway save if I were you. I gave it a go and the first manager came out purple with drawn on glasses. So I took my glasses off, went to a better lit room and ended up looking like I had drowned before coming back to life as some sort of fish-eyed mutant.

0ZP.png

Miele is a very good player for LOI - failed in my attempts to sign him

Glico Man wrote: »
    Having to be a scrooge myself for the moment with not being able to afford the game, I'm playing/living vicariously through all of you currently :p Can anyone tele how Tielemans of Anderlecht is doing? Even better if you signed him :pac:

He's at Chelsea and doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Glico Man wrote: »

Spurs bought him and he played two years there. I'm in the January window 2019 and he just signed for Chelsea for 49m or something similar.

Looks fairly good alright.

I'm running away with the league with Southampton in my third year. Seemed to flukely nail the tactics half way through my first season, ended up joint top with Arsenal (after they collapsed spectacularly) and lost the league playoff. Second year won the league by a point, and this year I'm already 9 points ahead.

Best buys so far:

Belotti 16m from the first window. Scored over a 100 goals for me. Pretty much a 1 for 1 striker.

Parades - 25m Outstanding midfielder who can play pretty much any role.

Ajer - 6m Grabbed him off Celtic. Already turning into a great CM.

Berahino - 3m after year 1. Think it was a free and had to pay that in tribunal. Pennies for him.

Michael Keane - 15m A really solid CB

Lemos - 20m He's a ridiculously good young Argentine CB.

Was also able to pick up Draxler and Rodriguez for around the 20-30m mark each after year one.

Ha..... Please
    Bigger job , bigger club.

:pac: Oh you. Im enjoying them though:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I downloaded the demo because I would love to get back into these games again. It's still so in-depth though compared to what I'm used to with Championship Manager. I feel as if all I'm doing is blindly accepting the requests of my backroom staff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Misses giving me mercy after a Day shopping and said she'd buy me FM for xmas and let me play. Will launch her up tonight !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Bought it for €27 on not-so-instant gaming. Got FM touch with it as well...whatever that is! :pac:

Downloading as we speak via our extremely slow broadband connection. Hopefully it'll be ready by February! :pac:

TheDoc wrote: »
    Misses giving me mercy after a Day shopping and said she'd buy me FM for xmas and let me play. Will launch her up tonight !

:D Not sure if you're talking about FM or your missus here :p

Some windfall for LOI clubs for getting into the group stages!! I've just been awarded 2 million for getting through the qualifying playoff and another 12 million for reaching the group stages!!

Brexit happened in my game, which makes it harder to sign talent from the UK :( Cant sign any on free's under the bosman ruling anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Some windfall for LOI clubs for getting into the group stages!! I've just been awarded 2 million for getting through the qualifying playoff and another 12 million for reaching the group stages!!

Brexit happened in my game, which makes it harder to sign talent from the UK :( Cant sign any on free's under the bosman ruling anymore.

How come for the freebies?

Because maybe it's an EU ruling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Uriel. wrote: »
    :D Not sure if you're talking about FM or your missus here :p

Misses always looses out to FM ! :D

Started my usual United save as typical with me and FM. I'll go through a a save with United before I look into more obscure challenges.

And as typical with me, before I even have the team meeting, they want to address me pushing Rooney out of the club :P

Bit of a weirder start in this version, since obviously the club has spunked it's load on Pogba, Bailly and Henrik. So only have £30m to dabble with, and then I generated about another 20-30 m from selling Fellaini, Carrick, Young and Rooney. Only additional purchases were Tielmanns and a young left back to cover Shaw.

Already have a few targets lined out for next summer. Think I'll need a new striker to replace Zlatan, so looking at Dybala. I'm guessing everyone seems to buy him if playing as big club, he looks to be incredible.

Memphis looks to have been reigned back a bit in this version. I didn't play FM16 so don't know what he was like in that. Granted still started of well for me, but blows a bit hot and cold.

I've brought my 4-3-3 from FM15 into the current version to see how I get on(I saw mine, it's from FM-Base and saw an updated version for FM17 that looked similar). Few good thumping wins but some obscure results, losing to West Ham in the cup, Spurs in the league and a rubbish 1-1 all draw with someone else, think it was Everton.

Notice my two CM's in my formation are getting proper knackered. I'm playing typically Pogba in an AMC role with Tielmanns in a support role, and both are dropping well into the low 60% by the 80th minute which is a bit weird. I know Tielmanns had stamina issues in previous version, but seems Pogba and Hererra experience the same. Might need to do some tweaks or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

So this just happened
    BREXIT[/IMG]

This just happened in mine too, though I think I'm on 2023 or something, so I got a bit longer, my squad is in alright shape so haven't been shopping. But, I can see this being annoying.

I'm Yeovil and up to championship btw. Wonder if they ever re-join Europe.

So I've started up as save starting as unemployed with a Sunday League footballing background. I'm also using the other posters revised LOI structure and I'm loving it at the moment. It was very easy to get a job as all the lower league Irish clubs started off managerless. I applied for the likes of Ballincollig, CIT, and Coachford (and I think one other), but I really wanted Ballincollig as they're my most local team of the teams in it. Ballincollig hired me anyway after a successful interview (yippee!).

We had an impressive pre-season but the league was a bit of a slow starter. Lost, Drawn...and then a 3-0 win away from home!

I only have a load of young players, including a few 14/15 year olds! It's great craic so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Wilberto wrote: »
    So I've started up as save starting as unemployed with a Sunday League footballing background. I'm also using the other posters revised LOI structure and I'm loving it at the moment. It was very easy to get a job as all the lower league Irish clubs started off managerless. I applied for the likes of Ballincollig, CIT, and Coachford (and I think one other), but I really wanted Ballincollig as they're my most local team of the teams in it. Ballincollig hired me anyway after a successful interview (yippee!).

We had an impressive pre-season but the league was a bit of a slow starter. Lost, Drawn...and then a 3-0 win away from home!

I only have a load of young players, including a few 14/15 year olds! It's great craic so far!

Is it mine?

If so I have a revised one it will be up soon. I'm up the walls so it's not 100% at the mo

Is it mine?

If so I have a revised one it will be up soon. I'm up the walls so it's not 100% at the mo

Yeah, that's the one! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Question for anyone playing a LOI save,

Is it not frustrating playing with a part time club? it's very hard to attract any players outside of Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement