Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Manager 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can vouch for Belotti. Goal a game through four seasons in my Southampton save. 16m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Yeah pretty much how I have found the best course of action with LOI :D

Going to do it with Galway United. Grab every under 23 lad and throw a 2 year contract at them :cool: (The ones that will sign for me anyways :()

Knex. wrote: »
    Can vouch for Belotti. Goal a game through four seasons in my Southampton save. 16m.

Seager in your youth team is the best player Ive every signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

TheDoc wrote: »
    About half way through my first season with United. Definitely not finding it a cake walk like other FM's. Although that might be down to me bottling it, and taking someones tactic and that tactic maybe not being ideal.

I typically love playing 4-3-3 with two inside forwards.

I say "tougher" but I'm still top of the league. Just find a lot more squeaky bum results and not many hammerings. I'd say with the United start where the transfer budget is low(since four new player shave just signed)influenced that since I couldn't go get my typical signings. Did bring Tielmanns in and have a pretty good shortlist of talent I want to acquire over the next few seasons. A new striker is definitely high on my list along with a new DM. Ibra doing great but he is 35.

Memphis hasn't been as devastating as previous iterations. Probably not surprising considering how his career is going IRL. Still keeping Martial out of the side but kinda feel like Martial is going to be the longer term success there.

I'm somewhat reverting to FM15 when thinking about signings, the guys there that did great for me. Risky I guess considering I skipped FM16 so don't know what they are like.

But next transfer window I can probably see myself breaking the bank for Dybala. Kevin Strootman is a player I love to get in my squads, and that will give me four options (Pogba,Tielmanns,Hererra,Strootman) to cover my two CM spots.

Surprisingly feel I need new fullbacks. Darmian is my starting RB and doing fine but can probably do better. Shaw my starting LB. Both seem to get wrecked after every game. Tough job operating as wingback I guess.

Anyone had any mad success with 4-3-3 tactics for relatively big clubs?

Martial is a beast for me, 25 goals and 18 assists as Complete Forward in the support Role along side Icardi/Moussa Dembele/Calum Wilson in the Complete Forward attack role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

How much did those three cost you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Moussa Dembele is one that keeps popping up in my scouting reports alright.

Kal El wrote: »
    Seager in your youth team is the best player Ive every signed.

Think he gets randomly assigned potential as he was poor in my game. In league 2 or something The save was started when the game was beta though, so he may have changed in ability since then.

Somehow managed to come 2nd with Nottingham Forest and get promotion to the PL. Not sure I am ready for it, squad wise, but there was some massive wheeling and dealing done in the offseason.

Club was taken over fairly early on, but the new board aren't exactly good with the cash. Only 10% of player sales made available, and had a transfer budget of 9.25m for the PL. Had to ship out a tonne of players and then sign whoever I wanted by using the 24 month installment option.

Managed to pick up the likes of Matt Lowton, Charlie Taylor, Borini (Sunderland got relegated), Ajer (delighted with him) and a couple of others.

Had only signed two players in my first year. One a right back from the third division of French football, the other an AM/AL/CF from Denmark. Both signed for pittance, so I don't have a massive amount of depth in the side unfortunately.

Think I can avoid relegation providing injury is kind.

Think he gets randomly assigned potential as he was poor in my game. In league 2 or something The save was started when the game was beta though, so he may have changed in ability since then.

He ended up being released to after 2017. Signed him in championship with Bradford, then Liverpool in championship/premiership.
    He scored 17 goals for bradford, 35 for Liverpool in championship and 23 in premier league. I think he just needs to play, from scouting him he seems consistent its just he starts with a long term injury

Somehow managed to come 2nd with Nottingham Forest and get promotion to the PL. Not sure I am ready for it, squad wise, but there was some massive wheeling and dealing done in the offseason.

Club was taken over fairly early on, but the new board aren't exactly good with the cash. Only 10% of player sales made available, and had a transfer budget of 9.25m for the PL. Had to ship out a tonne of players and then sign whoever I wanted by using the 24 month installment option.

Managed to pick up the likes of Matt Lowton, Charlie Taylor, Borini (Sunderland got relegated), Ajer (delighted with him) and a couple of others.

Had only signed two players in my first year. One a right back from the third division of French football, the other an AM/AL/CF from Denmark. Both signed for pittance, so I don't have a massive amount of depth in the side unfortunately.

How was the Great Dane??

• Advertisement

Jesus this Arsenal side are moany. 'I'm not getting enough game time blah blah blah'. Well then, stop being sh!t when i do pick you.

Wenger has coddled this bunch. Already got rid of Giroud at the start of the season; Lucas, Monreal and Walcott will follow next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit of advice for bit of noob

Right I'm flying through the seasons with Cork. I have got Europa League groups last 2 seasons.

I have player 18yo who looks quality but he wants move bigger club. Should I sell? Or hope he agreed contract after season is out? Contract runs out end of season. His stata are going for age

No clubs seem be interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Due to his age you should be due compensation if someone signs him so maybe hold out and try and get a new contract in. If there's still nobody interested in him by November he may decide to stay rather than go on the dole.

Right I'm flying through the seasons with Cork. I have got Europa League groups last 2 seasons.

I have player 18yo who looks quality but he wants move bigger club. Should I sell? Or hope he agreed contract after season is out? Contract runs out end of season. His stata are going for age

I wish you were my agent when I was a Galway youth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Anyone got any advice on a

4-2-3-1 system.

need to know what role best works with the lone striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Are any of the Dundalk lads worth picking up for a championship club??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sigh.

Second season. First half, tear things up. Only two losses. Icardi scoring for fun, Dembele with assist after assist. Head into Xmas 7 points clear of second.

Don't know what happened after Xmas, but suddenly couldn't buy a win :/ Grounded out a second place in the league, but damn, the second half of the season was so, so depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bought a young central defender from Derry for 77k and he was very good. He just got some to Everton for 900k. Got into the CL group stages again so we're pretty much flush with money. Barca, Monaco and Chelsea in my group :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Anyone got any advice on how get good players to go play LOI

Or even where to look or scout

Edit have 1.5m in kitty and want get couple upgrades

Something I used in very low English leagues in previous games:

Do your best to be allowed international scouting. I don't know how realistic this is in the latest game; I could manage in around League 2 before.

Scout all the African national teams.

Find young players who have senior international caps because their national team is rubbish, but are still playing in tiny local club sides (likely as their only 'real' player).

They should be able to get work permits from playing with the national side.

My top tip for lower league management; maybe it could be done in Ireland eventually once scouting options open up? On one occasion I signed a cracking player from the Rwandan domestic league who went on to be worth millions and be prolific in the premiership. Imagine if that happened in real life!

Think I'm going to do that.

Anyone here using genie scout? The difference between the scouting in fm to gs is unreal. Amazed i haven't used it before.

• Advertisement

Following on from this, last day of the transfer window, no money left, and I'm desperately trying to bring in a CM on loan as I'm super thin there. After scouting and digging around for ages, I finally get a CM to agree to come on loan, only for it to get delayed as somehow the wages that were available when I agreed the loan with the club, are no longer available.

Straight to the board I go asking for an increase in wage budget. Nothing. Stonewalled.

Chance my arm asking for transfer budget.

35m.

They gave me 35m with an hour left in the transfer window! For feck sake :pac:

elefant wrote: »
    Something I used in very low English leagues in previous games:

Do your best to be allowed international scouting. I don't know how realistic this is in the latest game; I could manage in around League 2 before.

Scout all the African national teams.

Find young players who have senior international caps because their national team is rubbish, but are still playing in tiny local club sides (likely as their only 'real' player).

They should be able to get work permits from playing with the national side.

My top tip for lower league management; maybe it could be done in Ireland eventually once scouting options open up? On one occasion I signed a cracking player from the Rwandan domestic league who went on to be worth millions and be prolific in the premiership. Imagine if that happened in real life!

Benjani from Zimbabwe

Yep, I play a DM, and 2 AP's in midfield, one set to attack, one support. Two inside forwards and a false 9.

Tearing up the league and Europe for multiple seasons now.

Mind uploading/attaching your tactic so i can have a nosey?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Playing with good old Portsmouth. Just started my 4th season, 2nd season in the Champ. Finished 16th after back to back promotions from League 2.

Got a princely transfer budget of 180k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

RE: Brexit
    Julez wrote: »
    This just happened in mine too, though I think I'm on 2023 or something, so I got a bit longer, my squad is in alright shape so haven't been shopping. But, I can see this being annoying.

I'm Yeovil and up to championship btw. Wonder if they ever re-join Europe.

Update:
    So, I got what, I think, is known as 'Hard Brexit'. Everyone outside of UK now needs a work permit.

Got into the premier league the year after this, got 20m and its neigh on impossible to sign players. Apparently, Work Pemits have gotten stricter anyway, but now that you need them to happen for European players its really hard to get good young talent in on a budget, this was one of my favourite ways to play and after sinking about 100 hours into this save it's pretty much spoiled it for me. If anyone else is starting a new game, I'd advise trying to edit the game so that Brexit doesn't happen.

Julez wrote: »
    RE: Brexit

Update:
    So, I got what, I think, is known as 'Hard Brexit'. Everyone outside of UK now needs a work permit.

Got into the premier league the year after this, got 20m and its neigh on impossible to sign players. Apparently, Work Pemits have gotten stricter anyway, but now that you need them to happen for European players its really hard to get good young talent in on a budget, this was one of my favourite ways to play and after sinking about 100 hours into this save it's pretty much spoiled it for me. If anyone else is starting a new game, I'd advise trying to edit the game so that Brexit doesn't happen.

Don't believe it's possible, it's hard coded into the game, like 3 points for a win etc

Yeah brexit is a bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Don't believe it's possible, it's hard coded into the game, like 3 points for a win etc

Yeah, I looked briefly into it before, I think you can toy with the odds a bit, so that it is less likely to happen and when it does you get the softer Brexit with free movement of EU players. Though I'm not 100% certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Big question for people. As you get a few years into your game.

What dos everyone think of the Regen players ?. And making them into epic players and training them up ?.

As I am in my 7th season as Lupa Roma Manager and i have quite a few good players in the team from my youths as re gens and are more or less world class players at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Season 3.

In second, but its not the free-scoring fun it was in season 2. Icardi scored 45 goals in season two, but at Xmas, he's only on 5 :/ Thats despite having a better creative force behind him too, this time round. Really disappointed in him...

Following on from here, I finished my 2nd season with Dundalk. United bet us so that ended my Europa League run. I was wrong about league competitiveness, I won it with about 4 or 5 games to spare. Shamrock Rovers finished 2nd, Cork 3rd after an atrocious start. I also won the FAI Cup. Main thing is I made the Europa League group stage again, although this time I was the only Irish club to do so. Got Zenit, Marseille & Young Boys, finished 3rd with 7 points and a huge home win against Zenit.

Chris Fagan & Mikey Drennan had great first seasons at the club scoring over 20 goals each. Brandon Miele was a bit mixed - he was unhappy early on because I didn't improve the attack despite the two signings mentioned, but he ended up scoring some massive goals in the second half of the season. Georgie Poynton made great strides and is now in my starting 11 and Horgan got called up to the Ireland squad for World Cup playoffs (we lost).

One bug I've encountered is to do with buying the stadium. The board asked about it at the end of last season and I said yes. Planning for buying the stadium is due to be completed 27th Jan 2018 but at the end of this season they asked me again. So again I said yes and now on my board screen there are two separate plans for buying the stadium; one which is complete this month and another which is due next year. I've no idea if this is going to break my game or if the second will cancel once the first is complete but I guess I'll just have to keep playing to find out.

Oh and since everyone was talking about Watford a few days ago, they got relegated in my save so I guess there's no guarantee of success for them.

Following on from here, I finished my 2nd season with Dundalk. United bet us so that ended my Europa League run. I was wrong about league competitiveness, I won it with about 4 or 5 games to spare. Shamrock Rovers finished 2nd, Cork 3rd after an atrocious start. I also won the FAI Cup. Main thing is I made the Europa League group stage again, although this time I was the only Irish club to do so. Got Zenit, Marseille & Young Boys, finished 3rd with 7 points and a huge home win against Zenit.

Chris Fagan & Mikey Drennan had great first seasons at the club scoring over 20 goals each. Brandon Miele was a bit mixed - he was unhappy early on because I didn't improve the attack despite the two signings mentioned, but he ended up scoring some massive goals in the second half of the season. Georgie Poynton made great strides and is now in my starting 11 and Horgan got called up to the Ireland squad for World Cup playoffs (we lost).

One bug I've encountered is to do with buying the stadium. The board asked about it at the end of last season and I said yes. Planning for buying the stadium is due to be completed 27th Jan 2018 but at the end of this season they asked me again. So again I said yes and now on my board screen there are two separate plans for buying the stadium; one which is complete this month and another which is due next year. I've no idea if this is going to break my game or if the second will cancel once the first is complete but I guess I'll just have to keep playing to find out.

Oh and since everyone was talking about Watford a few days ago, they got relegated in my save so I guess there's no guarantee of success for them.

What tactic are you using?

What date does brexit happen ? I'm starting my third season with United now

threein99 wrote: »
    What date does brexit happen ? I'm starting my third season with United now

Just happens randomly!

Looking like Jose really is the special one, United have won the league every season in my game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How the hell do some of ye win CL with LOI club within 5-10 years!!??

Anyway into season 7, with Cork City, and into EL group, for 2nd season running, after getting beat in Cl playoff

However I have struck bit of gold. I got this regen from Brazil in season 3 and the lad haa only become a beast and Man City paid his release clause of 17.5m.

€€€€€€€€ you swear it was real

How the hell do some of ye win CL with LOI club within 5-10 years!!??

Anyway into season 7, with Cork City, and into EL group, for 2nd season running, after getting beat in Cl playoff

However I have struck bit of gold. I got this regen from Brazil in season 3 and the lad haa only become a beast and Man City paid his release clause of 17.5m.

€€€€€€€€ you swear it was real

Took me about 15 years in FM12 to win it. This time around its near impossible. Didnt even get a win in the group this season, although I did have to play Barcelona, Chelsea and another top team!!

Nice job on that regen. Fiorentina have probably the best GK in the game and he is only 18!! 52 million they want for him.

Definitely not finding this version as easy as say FM15. In a really good title race with Arsenal and Totenham breathing down my neck. Some obscure results also over the Christmas period and some injuries to key players like Memphis and Zlatan.

Finding the transfer system in this ridiculous. Teams coming in to try take my players with ridiculous low offers, and the players then demanding to leave, where as I go to fetch players and clubs wanting absolutely outragous money.

Also find that players seem absolutely fine on my shortlist, until I then mooch an offer, and rivals start pilling in with their bids. Feel I'm nearly buying some players because I dont want my rivals to have them !

Also running into some ridiculous agents. Was looking to wrap up Belotti and his agent just cancelled the talks entirely. Was making ridiculous demands on behalf of the player. MAybe back to looking to grab Dybala for that outragous €150m Juve want : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Year 2027 finished my 2nd season with Besiktas in Turkey, runner up in the league by 1 point cup and Europa league semi-finalist, feeling good about the 3 rd season.

In Turkey you are only allowed 14 forigeners in the squad and 11 in the matchday squad.

There is 1 week left in the transfer window and i have lost 7 of my 1st 11 to min fee clauses to bigger teams total sale value 95m, and the value of each player increased at their new club. Scrambling to fine adequate replacements even with all the money, and a few of the remain 1st team are unhappy because i blocked transfers.

Getting fired this season i think, on the up side the club has 120m in loans and the money should come in handy

What tactic are you using?

I'll post screenshots once I'm on the computer but it's predominantly a control 4231, play out from the back and run at the defence. In Europe I would swap the attacking midfielder for a defensive one, changing to 4123 and playing on the counter/defensive. Finn as an advanced playmaker in the 2 is my favourite player even though he doesn't score too many, ridiculously consistent and we play much worse without him.

It's nothing groundbreaking, just a tweaked version of the real Dundalk. In LOI I don't think you need a great tactic, just good players who are well trained in whatever one you're using. We struggled early on in this game cos the players took a good 6 months to learn the 4123 tactic, I only introduced the 4231 this season when I signed Miele and kept Horgan.

4231 formation https://i.img.ie/0sE.png
    4231 instructions https://i.img.ie/0sL.png
    4123 formation https://i.img.ie/0sY.png
    4123 instructions https://i.img.ie/0sm.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

4-2-3-1 has been my most successful tactic too. I didn't design it myself though.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    4-2-3-1 has been my most successful tactic too. I didn't design it myself though.

My downloaded successful tactic is 4-3-2-1

I had PSG bidding for Icardi on my United save, I wasn't selling so tried to take the piss and demanded 80 million upfront and they accepted the demands :eek: I still cancelled the deal they beat me in the Champions League final at the end of the previous season so there was no way I was giving them my leading scorer :cool:

PSG are nuts in the game alright. Sold then Lemos, the Argentine CB, for 65m in my Southampton save. Again thinking if I put the price that high they'd feck off. Nah, they're mental!

Got Forrest into the CL and about to head into my fourth season. The points haul at the top of the table was pretty low, as in fourth had 62 or something similar, so expecting next year to be a lot tougher. Signed Donsah for center midfield, and he's an absolute beast. Himself, Ajer and Rossiter provide a very solid base for me.

Slowly getting my squad together, however. Still light on depth, outside of CM.

PSG are nuts in the game alright. Sold then Lemos, the Argentine CB, for 65m in my Southampton save. Again thinking if I put the price that high they'd feck off. Nah, they're mental!

Got Forrest into the CL and about to head into my fourth season. The points haul at the top of the table was pretty low, as in fourth had 62 or something similar, so expecting next year to be a lot tougher. Signed Donsah for center midfield, and he's an absolute beast. Himself, Ajer and Rossiter provide a very solid base for me.

Slowly getting my squad together, however. Still light on depth, outside of CM.

Thats my plan for a challenge, win a third CL for Forest. Missed out on the CL places on goal difference one year and ended up in the Europa league, I had made a load of crazy promises to get certain players to sign (Romero, Pereya etc etc) and when we missed out there was a revolt and my P45 came shortly after :D

I don't set any promises in contract negotiations anymore. I find it doesn't actually make much of a difference. Remove them all, set the role to key player, and the agent is usually grand to enter contract talks regardless.

Saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Currently in my second season with Limerick. Got a couple of key signings in when i got promoted.

A dutch right winger called Sherwin Seedorf.

Jay Tabb, Akinade and Celeb Folan(backup target man).

Got Gavin Gunning aswell.

Halfway through the second season and im 4th about 9 points behind dundalk.

Will try some of the tactics shown above, cheers

I wonder is it possible to do a finally at another club in the loi in the game and really invest in fitness and coaching to raise the club up.

I'll post screenshots once I'm on the computer but it's predominantly a control 4231, play out from the back and run at the defence. In Europe I would swap the attacking midfielder for a defensive one, changing to 4123 and playing on the counter/defensive. Finn as an advanced playmaker in the 2 is my favourite player even though he doesn't score too many, ridiculously consistent and we play much worse without him.

It's nothing groundbreaking, just a tweaked version of the real Dundalk. In LOI I don't think you need a great tactic, just good players who are well trained in whatever one you're using. We struggled early on in this game cos the players took a good 6 months to learn the 4123 tactic, I only introduced the 4231 this season when I signed Miele and kept Horgan.

4231 formation https://i.img.ie/0sE.png
    4231 instructions https://i.img.ie/0sL.png
    4123 formation https://i.img.ie/0sY.png
    4123 instructions https://i.img.ie/0sm.png

Do you not find your lone striker being left very isolated ?

Do you not find your lone striker being left very isolated ?

Control, low tempo, work ball out from back/into box, and you usually have enough of the ball that you start building attacks from inside their half, so isolation not really a problem.

I use similar enough tactics to both of these. A lot of goals come from crosses after a bout of possession, actually.

If the team is better than mine, and we can't get a foothold on the game in midfield, then yeah, you see the isolation alright. Usually set to counter, up the tempo, passes change from short to mixed etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement