Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear ended

Options
  • 19-08-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I was rear ended while stopped in traffic about 5 months ago
    The guy that hit me was insured with axa

So far they paid to have my child seat replaced after a battle

I had a laptop (mac book pro 13")on the back seat when I was hit it wasn't in a case and when I was hit the laptop went forward and hit the floor

It looks perfect and the screen didn't break but it wont turn on
    I told axa about this and they sent a company called tech claims to look at it and they said it had a crack on the logic board and could not be fixed and advised axa to replace it
    Axa agreed and told me to go buy a new one for the agreed amount
    The day I was going in to buy it I called to check everything was ok and they said no they weren't paying yet and that was the last I've heard of it

Just looking to find out what I can do or can I make a complaint about them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd call them again and ask to speak to a supervisor rather than the ordinary Joe taking the call. I'd mention things like sending them a solicitor's letter and their bill along with contacting the insurance ombudsman, and see if that puts the skates under them to get their finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

Contacted the ombudsman and they cant deal with it due to data protection as I claiming from a third party

Also got a solicitor to write to them but they don't answer

Talk to your solicitor about the next course of action. Might be worth finding a solicitor who is familiar with dealing with similar situations and who is used to lighting a fire under these type of insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I really hate this carry on from an insurer, they are penny pinching when you are being ok with them and not taking the pi$$ with chancing a personal insury claim, they really do bring the scammers on to them with their attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I don't think they'll pay you until you buy the new one and forward the receipt. I suspect this is what they meant by "yet"

• Advertisement

That sounds a bit daft imo and should not be holding up their obligation to put the OP back into the position he/she was in prior to their client rear ending the OP imo. What if the OP cannot afford to just go out and buy another laptop or what if the OP just decides he/she doesn't want to replace it.

I really think the OP needs a solicitor who has experience of dealing with and handling with these sort of cases where they know what buttons to push to get a quick and satisfactory resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote: »
    That sounds a bit daft imo and should not be holding up their obligation to put the OP back into the position he/she was in prior to their client rear ending the OP imo. What if the OP cannot afford to just go out and buy another laptop or what if the OP just decides he/she doesn't want to replace it.

I really think the OP needs a solicitor who has experience of dealing with and handling with these sort of cases where they know what buttons to push to get a quick and satisfactory resolution.

Exactly. Insurance companies are extraordinary scumbags and will lie, deceive and obfuscate to avoid paying anything! They also use underhand tactics and are perhaps the most immoral group you could meet!

Disclaimer; I'm a solicitor!

Seriously, they have to pay, and if your solicitor hasn't got a cheque, he/she isn't doing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I don't think they'll pay you until you buy the new one and forward the receipt. I suspect this is what they meant by "yet"

You don't have to replace the laptop. You are entitled to take the cash and go on holiday, if you want.

Advertisement