Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to sell an Iphone?

Options
  • 19-08-2016 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

(Apologies if this is in the wrong topic)

I'm going to be selling my Iphone to upgrade when the new one comes out next month.

It's a 6s Plus. I'm just wondering where I should look to sell it?

I've heard that ebay has become more reliable recently, but also adverts.ie.

Anyone got any recommendations? It's in great condition, I look after stuff well so I wouldn't like to sell it for less than it's worth

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Adverts is probably the handiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

check what similar phones are going for on adverts, no point pricing yourself out of the market, plus most sales on there involve meeting the buyer so cash in hand as they say, no people complaining on ebay or to paypal saying they never got the item or its not as decribed etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Socket2me

Adverts is probably the handiest.

Cheers, I've been told this by one or two people. My only gripe would be meeting up with some randomer with the possibility of getting my teeth kicked in and the phone swiped. Then again, I'm the negative type :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Socket2me wrote: »
    My only gripe would be meeting up with some randomer with the possibility of getting my teeth kicked in and the phone swiped. Then again, I'm the negative type :P

At least the name fits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Adverts by a mile. I sell and buy my iPhones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Also check CEX, I sold a couple of item recently to them, I got paid in cash more than the average prices in Adverts (you get even more store credit), before they pay you they will ask you leave it with them to test to make sure all is ok. You can check the price they pay on the website, payment amount will depend on condition, scratches, marks, etc

I had a quick look, I think you will get more on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

nava wrote: »
    Also check CEX, I sold a couple of item recently to them, I got paid in cash more than the average prices in Adverts (you get even more store credit), before they pay you they will ask you leave it with them to test to make sure all is ok. You can check the price they pay on the website, payment amount will depend on condition, scratches, marks, etc

I had a quick look, I think you will get more on Adverts.

Do you have to post it into CEX or can you drop a phone into the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Mad Benny wrote: »

You can post it in but I brought it into the store.

If posting it looks like using Return My Shopping from anpost is free postage, not sure if you get free postage using the CEX website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Forget CEX, you'll get far more on adverts. If its a 64GB and unlocked and you have the box & accessories, you should fetch €650(ish). Just deal with buyers who have a good feedback rating and you'll be fine.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

adverts is ok but be prepared for some absolute nonsense bids.

If you are asking for 500 quid be prepared for someone to offer you 20 quid and a bag of tayto.

Or they'll ask if you'd consider a trade for a garden hose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

And if meeting a buyer make sure you meet in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Ask to meet at local Garda station, make sure you're in view of their cameras.
    Any genuine buyer/seller shouldn't have a problem with this.

kbell wrote: »
    Ask to meet at local Garda station, make sure you're in view of their cameras.
    Any genuine buyer/seller shouldn't have a problem with this.
    A tad overkill in fairness.

awec wrote: »
    adverts is ok but be prepared for some absolute nonsense bids.

If you are asking for 500 quid be prepared for someone to offer you 20 quid and a bag of tayto.

Or they'll ask if you'd consider a trade for a garden hose.
    True, but with higher end stuff, it'll sell easy enough for its worth with reasonable ease. The prime stuff tends to avoid the low-ball bidders and tosser-swappers, bar the odd tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've done the adverts route before, it's grand but it's more effort than I believe is worth these days.

I think if I was to do it again, I'd just sell to Cex, sure you may lose 10-20% but it's 5 minutes of work rather than days of endless useless bids (true story: I was selling a €1000 road bike, I got an offer of a 1999 Opel Corsa that had no engine and missing front bumper).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Have sold and tried to sell phones on adverts but went with CEX last time. Most offers I got were ridiculous or from people the far side of the country. Ended up getting not much less for the phone from CEX in cash than the best offer I got on Adverts and that was after weeks of dumb questions and crazy offers. If you've the patience for it then you'll get more money but be prepared for a lot of nonsense.

Advertisement