Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ford Focus Electric

• 19-08-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

33.5kWh liquid cooled battery ~180km range on the EPA cycle
    50kW CCS rapid charging as standard

Definitely coming to the UK, no news on Ireland yet.

Comments

Link ?

It's amazing the way they all keep to around the same Kwh of the Leaf and when the Leaf is 40 kwh the rest will follow etc.

The original focus had no fast charging if i remember correctly. That meant pretty much instant death + it was expensive.

If it's sold at a decent price then Ford Ireland should import it, if Ford want to sell it then they can pressure Ford Ireland to invest in re-tooling and re-training etc.

Currently as it stands now Opel Ireland won't import the Ampera-E 60 Kwh because they feel it's not the vehicle for Irish consumers. Hopefully this will change. Probably because EV sales are woeful but a 300-340 km range EV might be just what people are waiting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen an Ampera driving around Derry quite a few times recently.

Nice looking motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have seen an Ampera driving around Derry quite a few times recently.

Nice looking motor.

I know the owner, he is a coach in my gym.

It is a nice car, I see it charging in the Diamond in Derry quite often. I actually considered an Ampera myself in my early days of EV shopping before ending up with a Leaf.

Shame they put the battery in the car rather than as part of the Chassis.

The New one is pretty good with about 80 kms max range, beats the crap out of a plug in Prius, Toyota have really lost the ball. They're too poor now I'd say after all the Billions they spent on fuel cells, I guess they never thought battery tech could have been so good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Shame they put the battery in the car rather than as part of the Chassis.

The New one is pretty good with about 80 kms max range, beats the crap out of a plug in Prius, Toyota have really lost the ball. They're too poor now I'd say after all the Billions they spent on fuel cells, I guess they never thought battery tech could have been so good today.

Toyotas income in close to a billion euro a day. They ain't poor. They offer a lot more variety in markets that have the size to sustain them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

650Ginge wrote: »
    Toyotas income in close to a billion euro a day. They ain't poor. They offer a lot more variety in markets that have the size to sustain them

Baldwin Locomotive Works
    1852-1972 RIP
    "Steam Forever"...."Maybe a few Diesels"

Toyota Motor Corporation
    1937-2027* RIP
    "Oil Forever"...."Maybe a few EVs"
    * TBC

Toyota:
    “We don’t see any battery technology that would allow us to…give customers a comparable driving experience at a reasonable price.”

Baldwin:
    "cost comparisons indicate that cast frames are less expensive to produce than welded ones" *except they tend to crack in diesel locomotives
    "we are just beginning to realize what actually can be done with the steam engine....that will continue it in service, that it can be more ably discussed in the year 1980 than at this convention in 1930"

Toyota:
    “Nobody makes more batteries than Toyota. We’ve been doing batteries longer than anyone in the automotive business. Which is why we’re so bullish on fuel cells.“

Baldwin:
    "The technical potentialities of the diesel-electric locomotive are about the same that they were in the beginnings"

Toyota:
    “We don’t see anything for the next ten years because if there was something in the laboratory today it would probably take seven to ten years to get into a production vehicle. With batteries there is a fundamental science problem that we don’t know how to solve. It’s going to require a new material that doesn’t yet exist. How long that takes is anyone’s guess.“

Baldwin (well... ALCO but same difference):
    "the possibilities of the diesel-electric locomotive are already fixed and known.... [but they are] not so with the steam locomotive"
    "for a century.... steam has been the principle railroad motive power. It still is and in my view will continue to be"

Toyota (Lexus):
    "We don’t feel it’s a problem with the car. Many of the buyers in that segment want what’s new and they’re trying it. I think the question remains to be seen how many people will buy a second Tesla. They’ll probably come back [to Lexus]." *has now lost 50% of it's US marketshare to Tesla

Baldwin:
    “Some time in the future, when all this is reviewed, it will be found that our railroads are no more dieselized than they electrified.”

Toyota:
    "Toyota actually favors fuel cells over other zero-emission vehicles, like pure battery electric vehicles. We would like to be still selling cars when there’s no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car."

Baldwin:
    "Steam has powered America's railroads for a hundred years and will continue to do so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know the owner, he is a coach in my gym.

It is a nice car, I see it charging in the Diamond in Derry quite often. I actually considered an Ampera myself in my early days of EV shopping before ending up with a Leaf.

Nice but only 2 seats in the rear is limiting, especially for families.

Advertisement