Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life in the Federation in the 24th Century

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Evade wrote: »
    Assuming of course that the political unrest wasn't caused by secessionists.

Even at that, the planet remained part of the Federation for twenty years after troubles began, so it does look as is the Federation could have played a bigger role in resolving the conflict, ultimately preventing the breaking away of the planet from the Federation. Again, we don't know much, but there's enough there to ask questions on why the planet was allowed to remain in conflict for two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

Myrddin wrote: »
    Even at that, the planet remained part of the Federation for twenty years after troubles began, so it does look as is the Federation could have played a bigger role in resolving the conflict, ultimately preventing the breaking away of the planet from the Federation. Again, we don't know much, but there's enough there to ask questions on why the planet was allowed to remain in conflict for two decades.
    Pure speculation time but the Federation-Cardassian war was going on at the same time so could secessionists have taken advantage of that in a similar way to what happened here in the 1910s/20s?

Evade wrote: »
    Pure speculation time but the Federation-Cardassian war was going on at the same time so could secessionists have taken advantage of that in a similar way to what happened here in the 1910s/20s?

Possibly so, it'd fit the timeline anyway. So knowing the Federation was entangled in a pretty serious war, they pressured the then government enough to be handed police-level powers, which was all they needed to stage a full coup? Yeah, maybe so. With no canon explanation for what happened, it kinda does fall to speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We don't know enough about Turkana to judge. The Federation would not simply abandon people to anarchy.

The Cardassian Border planets/Tau Cynda were evacuated to prevent conflicts.

Though I never understood anything about the Federation-Cardassian War. Federation resources, technology, starships are far superior to Cardassians, they shouldn't be a threat if the Federation took it seriously.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    We don't know enough about Turkana to judge. The Federation would not simply abandon people to anarchy.

From what we've seen on screen, I'd agree.
    The Cardassian Border planets/Tau Cynda were evacuated to prevent conflicts.

Also agreed. A difficult and big decision, but ultimately attempted to save lives and prevent conflict. The colonists choosing to stay on the Cardassian side knew what they were getting into, and I can't put that down to abandonment.
    Though I never understood anything about the Federation-Cardassian War. Federation resources, technology, starships are far superior to Cardassians, they shouldn't be a threat if the Federation took it seriously.

The TNG era was a relatively peaceful time, and Starfleet ships were nowhere near as powerful as they became post-TNG. The Keldon class Cardassian ships, packed a punch, as did the Galor class ones. They were no match for the Defiant though, but again, I'd not class that as a TNG-era ship, it's a Dominion War one imo. Yes it was designed to fight the Borg, but by the time Sisko took it outta mothball, TNG was just ending and the Dominion War was hotting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It all depends how the Federation fought the war. The early TNG attitude makes me think that Starfleets main objective was to repel any Cardassian incursions into its territory and not actively strike at targets inside Cardassian space. Meaning Starfleet were always on the defensive which is a much harder way to fight.

It was a border war and not much more I would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

It was a border war and not much more I would say

Real world analogy?

US annexation of Texas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

nah that was an actual war, it's probably more like Pakistan and India - they've been having border skirmishes for years now without actually declaring war

• Advertisement

Real world analogy?

US annexation of Texas?

Think Russia and Crimea, if the Ukraine could fight back.

I'd say that it was a war but not the bulk of the Federation committed to it

Advertisement