Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking on-campus accommodation 2016/17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mt96565

maziemac wrote: »
    Just got an offer. 1638 was our number

Were there any rooms left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 katiekilg

Treatycat wrote: »
    How do you check who your room mates are

in SISweb, campus > ucd residences > my residence

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

Rosetiarna wrote: »
    ****important****
    Is there anyone that would be interested in transferring accommodation in merville to another room???

What are the roommates like ? Male? Female?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rosetiarna

Kevin1220 wrote: »
    What are the roommates like ? Male? Female?

2 male, 1 female

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maziemac

mt96565 wrote: »
    Were there any rooms left ?

Yes about 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 maziemac

maziemac wrote: »
    Yes about 100

Plus remember they are getting rooms back every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Treatycat

katiekilg wrote: »
    in SISweb, campus > ucd residences > my residence

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cheeto

my roommates are ugly :( can i change?

Can I just ask why so many people want to switch apartments? You haven't even met your roommates yet give them a chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

katiekilg wrote: »
    Can I just ask why so many people want to switch apartments? You haven't even met your roommates yet give them a chance!!

Agree, uni is all about meeting new people

• Advertisement

Did everybody end up getting accommodation? I agree with previous comments give room mates a chance they're probably sound

Did everybody end up getting accommodation? I agree with previous comments give room mates a chance they're probably sound

I haven't heard anyone who hasn't got it so that's a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

If you and your friend want to stay in the same apartment is that possible?

daraghwal wrote: »
    If you and your friend want to stay in the same apartment is that possible?

Yes depending on where you are on waiting list . You can't apply to be together but who ever is highest on the list needs to keep note of the house and flat they are booked into then hopefully if there is a free space in that room you can book in with your friend. To improve your chances It might be a good idea for the first person to book into a flat that has 6 rooms and also pick an apartment that has no one already booked into it therefore your have 5 rooms free. Talk to booking office they are very helpful and they will give all up to date info as it may have changed . Best of luck

Thanks, when you're booking can you see the names of the people already in the house? Also, which houses/apartments are on the top floor in Merville/Belgrove and which merville or belgrove is better and why? Anything I found on the two before was outdated from before they were renovated. Thanks! Is one more popular for first years, less strict etc. than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

Thanks, when you're booking can you see the names of the people already in the house? Also, which houses/apartments are on the top floor in Merville/Belgrove and which merville or belgrove is better and why? Anything I found on the two before was outdated from before they were renovated. Thanks! Is one more popular for first years, less strict etc. than the other?
    When you're booking, which won't be until after the CAO offers are out in August, the apartments will be listed, with the apartment number, house number and the floor level. It will only show whether the rooms are occupied by females or males, so no names .On-campus accommodation is only available to first year and international students and some final year students, as far as I'm aware. For the less expensive apartments (still expensive), Merville seems fill up the quickest.

Can anyone here remember if any of you were in the 2800-2900 range starting out when they first emailed the numbers? Did you get accommodation and if so, was Belgrove and/or Merville still available at the time? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone here remember if any of you were in the 2800-2900 range starting out when they first emailed the numbers? Did you get accommodation and if so, was Belgrove and/or Merville still available at the time? Thanks in advance!

It was my son and he was 2400 ish he got accommodation no problem but the cheaper ones were gone can't remember which were left but there was loads left when he booked

It was my son and he was 2400 ish he got accommodation no problem but the cheaper ones were gone can't remember which were left but there was loads left when he booked

Can I ask which he booked? Merville and Belgrove would be the cheaper ones!

Can I ask which he booked? Merville and Belgrove would be the cheaper ones!

They were both gone cheaper ones will book out first he booked Roebuck apts cost 8400 I think - asfield,glenomena/blackrock were all available. If you read back through this thread u will see most people on this thread seemed to get rooms even though they were much further down than my son. It might be an idea to check out some off campus accommodation just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 shwalsh

I'm number 3200, approx, on the accommodation waiting list for September. I'm fairly low down and after scanning through this thread, I haven't seen anyone who was as low down as this last year. I am wondering should I abandon the hopes of living on campus and put down a deposit somewhere off campus or should I just keep fingers crossed that I'll get it?! Anyone from last year have any reassurance?

shwalsh wrote: »
    I'm number 3200, approx, on the accommodation waiting list for September. I'm fairly low down and after scanning through this thread, I haven't seen anyone who was as low down as this last year. I am wondering should I abandon the hopes of living on campus and put down a deposit somewhere off campus or should I just keep fingers crossed that I'll get it?! Anyone from last year have any reassurance?

They told me is was roughly up to 3000 got in, by the time the offer comes around to you, it will probably be just the really expensive accommodation left if you get an offer of accommodation at all. I'm going into first year and looking for accommodation but because most don't know for definite they are going to UCD due to CAO, there's very few people looking to share a house. PM me if any of you are looking to house share as a backup to campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alliex

They told me is was roughly up to 3000 got in, by the time the offer comes around to you, it will probably be just the really expensive accommodation left if you get an offer of accommodation at all. I'm going into first year and looking for accommodation but because most don't know for definite they are going to UCD due to CAO, there's very few people looking to share a house. PM me if any of you are looking to house share as a backup to campus!

I would say you would have a small shot at getting Glenomena/Roebuck Halls at 3200, but there is a high chance that you will just get offered Roebuck Castle.

For houseshares, your chance at getting a landlord to rent to you as a first year is practically zero. Unless you know them personally, they will want previous landlord references. Many landlords would not even be too keen to accept references from the UCD campus accommodation office.

Judging from my experience last year, at 2800-2900 you will more than likely get offered Glenomena/Roebuck Halls, definitely get offered Blackrock/Roebuck Castle, and definitely not get offered Merville/Belgrove/Ashfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Alliex wrote: »
    Judging from my experience last year, at 2800-2900 you will more than likely get offered Glenomena/Roebuck Halls, definitely get offered Blackrock/Roebuck Castle, and definitely not get offered Merville/Belgrove/Ashfield.

I'm around 1700 what do you reckon are my chances of getting merville/belgrove?

ciara18 wrote: »
    I'm around 1700 what do you reckon are my chances of getting merville/belgrove?

Judging from last year, slim to none. Almost definitely not merville anyway because that always seems to go first, you might get lucky and get belgrove but I would say it's fairly unlikely. That's just going on last year though, I've no idea what it was like the other years so it's hard to judge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Alliex wrote: »
    Judging from last year, slim to none. Almost definitely not merville anyway because that always seems to go first, you might get lucky and get belgrove but I would say it's fairly unlikely. That's just going on last year though, I've no idea what it was like the other years so it's hard to judge it.

Oh no seriously? I was almost certain I would, that's worrying I can't afford the dearer ones. I may start looking into alternatives. Would Blackrock be a fairly safe bet do you think?

ciara18 wrote: »
    Oh no seriously? I was almost certain I would, that's worrying I can't afford the dearer ones. I may start looking into alternatives. Would Blackrock be a fairly safe bet do you think?

I just looked at the posts from last year to refresh my memory - someone who started at 1443 was offered accommodation but Merville was full at that point and there was only about 50 places left in Belgrove. Someone initially at 1775 got offered accommodation but both Merville and Belgrove were full.

You could get lucky in that a lot of the people ahead of you on the list may not get a CAO offer from UCD or may not accept it. It's all luck really-there's a chance you could get Belgrove but people in your position last year probably didn't. Are you high or low 1700s? If you are close to 1700 you have a better chance.

You would get Blackrock I'd say. Wouldn't recommend it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 YUAND

I'm number 2,878 on the waiting list which has left me really unsure as to what to do to be honest. Is it remotely likely that I'll get on campus or should I start looking elsewhere? Where do I even look?

• Advertisement

YUAND wrote: »
    I'm number 2,878 on the waiting list which has left me really unsure as to what to do to be honest. Is it remotely likely that I'll get on campus or should I start looking elsewhere? Where do I even look?

I was ~2600 and got offered Roebuck Halls/Glenomena/Blackrock/Roebuck Castle. There were a good few spaces left in Glenomena and Roebuck Halls left at that point, and then the other 2 as well obviously. You might get lucky and get offered the same.

For off-campus some websites would be daft.ie, rent.ie, myhome.ie for houseshares. For digs try collegecribs.ie. Also join the UCD SU Accommodation facebook page - ads are posted there daily looking for people to fill vacancies in houseshares/digs, but be warned that a lot of houseshares won't want first years.

Advertisement