Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B.Comm Accounting NUIG

• 19-08-2016 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I received my Leaving Cert results this week and i will most likely receive a place on this course in NUIG on Monday, however i have recently been talking to people who seem to suggest that Accounting and Finance in DCU is a better degree.

I guess what I really want to know is the differences between this course and the course in DCU.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Well if you envision an accountancy career after college the key thing is how many exemptions from the professional exams your course would get you.

Often that depends on which body you go for - CPA, ACCA, ACA or CIMA - and which module options you pick in different years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

I have accepted my course at NUIG and at the open day I was informed that the B.comm Accounting in NUIG has more exemptions than any other course in the country so hopefully I am making the correct decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Know people that did both. Both well regarded. Main thing is to get a good degree (1.1 / 2.1) and you'll be the finest.

Better craic in Galway I'd say so enjoy yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

lalabear53 wrote: »
    I have accepted my course at NUIG and at the open day I was informed that the B.comm Accounting in NUIG has more exemptions than any other course in the country so hopefully I am making the correct decision!

It probably has the same number of exemptions as many other accouting/finance courses but it's unlikely it has more (what is more than maximum?). Many courses offer maximum exemptions provided you achieve the required results in the individual subjects throughout your degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

It probably has the same number of exemptions as many other accouting/finance courses but it's unlikely it has more (what is more than maximum?). Many courses offer maximum exemptions provided you achieve the required results in the individual subjects throughout your degree.

I depends which accounting body you go for. Most have an exemptions section on their website where you can check how many exams your course will get you off if you take certain modules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Know people that did both. Both well regarded. Main thing is to get a good degree (1.1 / 2.1) and you'll be the finest.

Better craic in Galway I'd say so enjoy yourself!!

These are two very valid points.
    1. You're at college doing a business degree, its about enjoying yourself. Galway has that for sure.
    2. Whilst you dont necessarily need a 2.1, it will pretty much guarantee you entry into the Big 4.

Big 4 is probably where you should be aiming and getting your ACA's.

Nothing wrong than going into industry and getting your ACCA/CIMA/CPA but it can be a tougher route (not as much time off for accounting exams). And if you are already planning to be an accountant, Big 4 probably afford you the widest opportunity. You'll probably need a 2.1 though.

Advertisement