Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting seaweed in cork

Options
  • 19-08-2016 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone know of good beaches to collect seaweed for the garden. Most beaches I know of are regularly cleaned of the seaweed. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Unless it's private foreshore and the owner gives permission, it is illegal to collect seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Unless it's private foreshore and the owner gives permission, it is illegal to collect seaweed.

That's a great help to the op:rolleyes:

Snowc wrote: »

Of course it was. I was simply telling them that they can't just go to a beach and collect seaweed for the garden. What's your problem with that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Snowc wrote: »
    probably the most relevant information they could have been given, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I was told that the seaweed on the beach (dry, dead stuff) can be collected legally as long as you are not selling it or making financial profit from it.

The only legislation I've seen had to do with eating wild fruit. Can anyone who says it is an illegal practice give a source?

• Advertisement

It's covered by the Foreshore Act 1933 (amend 1998) and the Fisheries Act 1993. I haven't the exact wording to hand but basically you need a licence to remove seaweed from the shore.

Just from a gardening point of view, that dry dead stuff is of little use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Nasnro wrote: »
    Does anyone know of good beaches to collect seaweed for the garden. Most beaches I know of are regularly cleaned of the seaweed. Any advice is appreciated.

Ballycroneen is excellent for washed up seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Doesn't the "dry dead stuff" become damp, to tell old wivesain is on the way?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Doesn't the"dru dead stuff" become damp, to tell old wives that rain is on the way?:)

Doesn't the"dru dead stuff" become damp, to tell old wives that rain is on the way?:)

No, that's when it tells them it is raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I remember somthing about the salt content of wet seaweed being an issue if applied to a garden without washing/composting, anyways not allowed :P
    Do I need a foreshore licence/lease/permission to extract material (such as beach sand or seaweed) from the foreshore?

Yes.

from here
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/planning/foreshore/faqs/foreshore-frequently-asked-questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Oldtree wrote: »
    I remember somthing about the salt content of wet seaweed being an issue if applied to a garden without washing/composting, anyways not allowed :P

from here
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/planning/foreshore/faqs/foreshore-frequently-asked-questions
    Is that not related to commercial harvesting rather than foraging etc.?

red sean wrote: »
    Is that not related to commercial harvesting rather than foraging etc.?

No, it's quite clear. It relates to everybody.

So foraging for edible seaweed for your dinner is illegal?
    The lunatics really have taken over the asylum!

So foraging for edible seaweed for your dinner is illegal?
    The lunatics really have taken over the asylum!

Rules are there to protect the environment. Nobody, though, is going to take anybody to court over a handful in foraging. Bucketloads, cartloads etc. for fertilizer is another matter.

Looks to me the rules are to protect the environment for commercial harvesters.
    Small farmers have done it for centuries. And the environment was harmed a hell of a lot less than by spreading artificial fertilisers.
    I'm sure the op is hardly going to cause environmental havoc by taking a bag of seaweed!

I'd best hand myself in in the morning. Guilty of taking 2 bags of seaweed after removing all the waste plastic from same.

if everybody took a bag of seaweed it would.

Local farmers have traditionally collected seaweed for their farms and I would guess that is a rite allowed to them only, otherwise a licence is needed to collect it. its not an expensive licence if granted.

plenty of places to buy a bag of seaweed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Or just collect it from a beach for FREE

if everybody took a bag of seaweed it would.

Local farmers have traditionally collected seaweed for their farms and I would guess that is a rite allowed to them only, otherwise a licence is needed to collect it. its not an expensive licence if granted.

And where does the bag you buy originate?

From a licenced collector. The foreshore belongs to the state as does its contents, so the free seaweed dea is in fact stealing.

• Advertisement

Or just collect it from a beach for FREE

Have you actually read the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

It is interesting in this context that seaweed has been harvested and collected along the western seaboard, both for commercial and non-commercial purposes, for many years, without a licence. The principal commercial entity involved in the purchase of the harvested seaweeds was a semi-state company, sold to a Canadian enterprise some years ago, but the issue of a licence did not arise at any stage, prior to that sale. The original company involved was established in 1947, the majority shareholding being with Department of Lands at the time, in later years with Dept. of the Marine. Its principal objective was to exploit the potential of the vast seaweed resource in order to provide employment in the peripheral regions and was a very profitable enterprise. Neither the company nor the seaweed harvesters held licences to harvest and / or collect seaweed. Additionally, there were several privately owned processing plants operating along the western seaboard, all operating along similar lines. Let us not forget in all of this that seaweed is a renewable resource, growth to maturity ranging from four to six years, depending on conditions etc.

Furthermore, people living in some coastal areas have seaweed cutting rights attached to their property folio, others have acquired rights over the years, by virtue of the fact that they have harvested seaweed over the years. This is a well established fact and is generally accepted by all concerned, including the Department of the Marine.

Despite that past wrongs do not justify a new wrong, and a new wrong should not be encouraged.

It should be remembered too that the eu habitats directive of 1992 in relation to the protection of limestone pavements from quarrying has only recently been implemented here. Section 261 in 2004 was a farce, followed by the second attempt of section 261A in 2010 to try and sort the mess out. Another resource, be it finite, used up by those who saw fit to take what they want for free.

Time to move into the future and drop those old attitudes that have our waterways as polluted as they are.

Have you actually read the thread?

Yes, Indeed I have, Why would I post a comment if I didn't read it ??

Despite that past wrongs do not justify a new wrong, and a new wrong should not be encouraged.

It should be remembered too that the eu habitats directive of 1992 in relation to the protection of limestone pavements from quarrying has only recently been implemented here. Section 261 in 2004 was a farce, followed by the second attempt of section 261A in 2010 to try and sort the mess out. Another resource, be it finite, used up by those who saw fit to take what they want for free.

Time to move into the future and drop those old attitudes that have our waterways as polluted as they are.
    Anyone collecting an occasional bag of seaweed is not polluting our waterways. Have a look at whats entangled in a lot of the seaweed on beaches on the west coast. ( I know as I have been a member of our local volunteer coastal cleanup group for nearly 10 years) Pieces of nylon rope, plastic packaging, plastic containers etc. Much of the stuff being printed in foreign language and obviously from fishing/shipping etc.
    The EU love to bring in these local laws to turn a minute problem into a big issue in order to hide a gigantic problem.
    As I said earlier, this law serves to protect commercial enterprise rather than the environment.

Yes, Indeed I have, Why would I post a comment if I didn't read it ??

Because it was clearly explained that you cannot simply collect it from a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Anyone collecting an occasional bag of seaweed is not polluting our waterways. Have a look at whats entangled in a lot of the seaweed on beaches on the west coast. ( I know as I have been a member of our local volunteer coastal cleanup group for nearly 10 years) Pieces of nylon rope, plastic packaging, plastic containers etc. Much of the stuff being printed in foreign language and obviously from fishing/shipping etc.
    The EU love to bring in these local laws to turn a minute problem into a big issue in order to hide a gigantic problem.
    As I said earlier, this law serves to protect commercial enterprise rather than the environment.
    Quite often it's ancillary activities that damage the environment and protected Habitats and quite frankly the vast majority of people are either ignorant to or don't give a **** about the ecosystem around them. That's why these "local" laws, which are typically European laws rather than local are brought in. I've seen people drive on and over {protected} sand dunes to "collect occasional bags of seaweed".

Other illegal and irresponsible activity (dumping at sea from vessels) does not nor should not give carte blanche for others to commit illegal and irresponsible acts.

I don't get people sometimes, there's a law, you can get a licence, just follow the procedures and stop whining avout everything.

Anyone collecting an occasional bag of seaweed is not polluting our waterways..

If you reread my post you'll see I didn't say that. I was commenting in general an a pervasive attitude.

Your work on the seashores is commendable and I do my bit when i visit the beach. Drives me crackers too to know that there are oodles of sewers dumping our own waste directly into the seas, rivers and lakes still.

I also clean up my road which has plenty of ongoing rubbish on it originating from Irish people.

Because it was clearly explained that you cannot simply collect it from a beach.

Of course I can, I'm a healthy male well able to walk on sand and bend down while using my arms to grasp objects and put them into a bag. Silly you, you must have got the impression I'm disabled or something..

• Advertisement

Of course I can, I'm a healthy male well able to walk on sand and bend down while using my arms to grasp objects and put them into a bag. Silly you, you must have got the impression I'm disabled or something..

Good man, cleaning up the rubbish on the beaches too :D into a pristine future we all go.

Advertisement