Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting seaweed in cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Uriel. wrote: »
    Quite often it's ancillary activities that damage the environment and protected Habitats and quite frankly the vast majority of people are either ignorant to or don't give a **** about the ecosystem around them. That's why these "local" laws, which are typically European laws rather than local are brought in. I've seen people drive on and over {protected} sand dunes to "collect occasional bags of seaweed".

Other illegal and irresponsible activity (dumping at sea from vessels) does not nor should not give carte blanche for others to commit illegal and irresponsible acts.

I don't get people sometimes, there's a law, you can get a licence, just follow the procedures and stop whining avout everything.
    Can people not have a discussion on here without being accused of "whining about everything"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

red sean wrote: »
    Can people not have a discussion on here without being accused of "whining about everything"?

It's not really a matter of discussion. If you remove material from a beach without a licence you are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2014041000019?opendocument The Foreshore Act 1933 prohibits the removal of beach material from any area of the foreshore. The definition of "beach material" in the Act includes seaweed whether growing or rooted on the seashore, or deposited or washed up by the action of tides, winds or waves. Seaweed that has been washed above the high water mark no longer belongs to the State. Under the Act,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackbox wrote: »
    It's not really a matter of discussion. If you remove material from a beach without a licence you are breaking the law.
    can someone explain *why* removing seaweed from a beach is & should be illegal.
    we've established that it *is* illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I imagine it's to stop unlicensed large scale commercial harvesting.

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Seaweed represents an important part of the ecosystem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's kinda what i was wondering - how important washed up seaweed is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

yeah, that's kinda what i was wondering - how important washed up seaweed is.

It would be a habitat for crustaceans and insects, thus supporting the bird life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

So, for research purposes, what was the benefit of putting seaweed in your garden? Does the seaweed need to be treated or anything?

from memory - based on having read tim robinson's books on the aran islands a few years ago - the islanders left it out in the rain for a while to let the salt wash out before using it for fertiliser.

• Advertisement

no you haven't
    Seaweed that has been washed above the high water mark no longer belongs to the State. Under the Act, if it no longer belongs to the state how can they prosecute you, if you take seaweed for personal use from above the high water mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dathi wrote: »
    no you haven't
    Seaweed that has been washed above the high water mark no longer belongs to the State. Under the Act, if it no longer belongs to the state how can they prosecute you, if you take seaweed for personal use from above the high water mark.

I wish you luck finding worthwhile seaweed above the high water mark. By definition anything washed up rests on the high water mark. Anything blown beyond that would be useless for the garden anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

washed above the high water mark

Isn't that an oxymoron.

I know it gets removed from some beaches by the local council at some stages during the year. Think spring to clear the beach for the summer. Can't see there being much of an issue if you popped down when they were doing that and took some of what they are clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

no you haven't

The seaweed would then be the property of the land owner beyond the high water mark, then you would be stealing someone elses property.

Do you throw 1 piece of rubbish on the ground, should everybody?
    Do you steal a euro, should everybody?
    Do you dump a bit of sewage into a river, should everybody?

There is no right to any of our natural resources by joe public, other than enjoying the view :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    There is no right to any of our natural resources by joe public, other than enjoying the view :D

not true you are allowed to fish from shore for fish without licence. and the quotes above were not my own but deputy kathleen lynch talking on behalf of the department of environment in answer to questions in dail

not true you are allowed to fish from shore for fish without licence. and the quotes above were not my own but deputy kathleen lynch talking on behalf of the department of environment in answer to questions in dail

Ok, You got me on the fish, very good.

But I think you are confused about what the deputy is talking about, why would the state be interested in theft from private property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Supposing you collect the seaweed floating on the water, before it washes onto the shore. That's like fishing, right?

recedite wrote: »
    Supposing you collect the seaweed floating on the water, before it washes onto the shore. That's like fishing, right?

Maby if you did it in international waters then you would be ok :D

Advertisement