Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money stolen out of visa debt card

Options
  • 19-08-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Today there was €460 stolen off of my visa debt card online. I rang BOI and they cancelled my card. They told me there would be an investigation into it and this would take 2/3 weeks.

My main concern is, will I get this money back? Or what is the percentage of cases that a refund is issued to the customer and what does this depend on?

I also was not requested to fill out a transaction dispute form... Sould this not be part of the process?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Today there was €460 stolen off of my visa debt card online. I rang BOI and they cancelled my card. They told me there would be an investigation into it and this would take 2/3 weeks.

My main concern is, will I get this money back? Or what is the percentage of cases that a refund is issued to the customer and what does this depend on?

I also was not requested to fill out a transaction dispute form... Sould this not be part of the process?

Thanks
    Good Afternoon Kealyboy, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie, our fraud team will make every effort to get your  money back for you but I couldn't say exactly whether your particular case will be refunded. 

The team will do all of this for you but if you would like an update at any point you can speak to one of our team on 014885466.

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Kealyboy

Good Afternoon Kealyboy, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie, our fraud team will make every effort to get your  money back for you but I couldn't say exactly whether your particular case will be refunded. 

The team will do all of this for you but if you would like an update at any point you can speak to one of our team on 014885466.

Thanks, 
    Evie 
    I'm just off the phone to a person in the fraud department, they told me they are goin to conduct an investigation ASAP.

They also informed me that my pin was not used and this case of fraud was conducted online, using me card number.

They told me I could take an overdraft out if I am in need of cash until the money is refunded. As this is what he told me I am pretty certain I will be reimbursed.

Is it true that if you are defrauded using your credit card you are 100% certain to get refunded? While this is not always the case using your debit card?

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Kealyboy, 

Thanks, 
    Evie 
    I'm just off the phone to a person in the fraud department, they told me they are goin to conduct an investigation ASAP.

They also informed me that my pin was not used and this case of fraud was conducted online, using me card number.

They told me I could take an overdraft out if I am in need of cash until the money is refunded. As this is what he told me I am pretty certain I will be reimbursed.

Is it true that if you are defrauded using your credit card you are 100% certain to get refunded? While this is not always the case using your debit card?
    Hi Kealyboy,

Glad to hear you were able to get in touch and I hope this is resolved shortly for you. Each case is investigated on it’s on merits so refunds depend on the outcome of the investigation for both credit and visa debit cards. There is no 100% guarantee that fraud will be refunded. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Grettbags

Hi Evie,

I am in a similar situation to Kealyboy. Just reported fraudulent activity of circa €400.00 (one large transaction and 5 or so smaller ones) on my Visa Debit Card. I noted another fraudulent transaction of over 600 which was debited and then credited to my account and was told that BOI picked up on this as fraudulent and blocked it. Great but why was I not texted or notified about this (which I've read BOI typically do) and why did they not pick up on the other fraudulent transactions? It seems this was online fraud as my pin was not used and I have not lost my card and had it in my possession at all times.

Is it a good sign that BOI they picked up on fraudulent activity before I contact them (transactions were only on the last 2 days) that I will hopefully be refunded the €400.00?

Many thanks,
    Gretta.

Grettbags wrote: »
    Hi Evie,

I am in a similar situation to Kealyboy. Just reported fraudulent activity of circa €400.00 (one large transaction and 5 or so smaller ones) on my Visa Debit Card. I noted another fraudulent transaction of over 600 which was debited and then credited to my account and was told that BOI picked up on this as fraudulent and blocked it. Great but why was I not texted or notified about this (which I've read BOI typically do) and why did they not pick up on the other fraudulent transactions? It seems this was online fraud as my pin was not used and I have not lost my card and had it in my possession at all times.

Is it a good sign that BOI they picked up on fraudulent activity before I contact them (transactions were only on the last 2 days) that I will hopefully be refunded the €400.00?

Many thanks,
    Gretta.
    Good Morning Grettbags, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie, I am sorry to hear that you were a victim of fraud. As mentioned above I do apologise but we cannot give a general answer on fraud cases. Our team will investigate each case and act to get a refund for you if possible.

They will let know any updates, or alternatively you can call the number above to get more information. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 padnash

@ Grettbages and Kealyboy ...Were either of these cases sorted and did you get all your money back. I'm in a similar situation, €310 stolen from my BOI account yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Kealyboy

padnash wrote: »
    @ Grettbages and Kealyboy ...Were either of these cases sorted and did you get all your money back. I'm in a similar situation, €310 stolen from my BOI account yesterday.

Yes I got the full amount back. No issues in receiving it back, BOI debited the money back into my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cmalone922

Any update on this padnash? Did it all get sorted? It happened to me yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you (or BOI) figure out how they got your card details?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Happened to me twice and both times I got my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Tends to happen in countries where their systems don't ask for the three numbers on the back of the card. Someone can chance the card number and then chance the expiry date to try and buy stuff online. Verified By Visa is another way of blocking this type of stuff. It's a bit of a pain, but the more barriers between you and these b@stards, the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adi993

Hi ,

Same thing happened to me today. About 200 € was debited without my authorisation. I immediately contacted BOI and also went to Garda. Will I get my money back ? :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Adi993 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Same thing happened to me today. About 200 € was debited without my authorisation. I immediately contacted BOI and also went to Garda. Will I get my money back ? :-(
    Hi Adi993, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today on Boards.ie.

Rest assured our fraud team will make every effort to investigate this however the timeframes of these investigations can vary.

You can certainly request an update at any time with our colleagues on ROI Freephone 1800946764. Our colleagues will be happy to help.

Thanks, 
    Richard 

Advertisement