Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that tool!

Options
  • 19-08-2016 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I was buying some old woodworking tools from a guy who lives near me and just as I was leaving he pulled this out of a box and asked if I was interested in buying also. Had no clue what it was and neither did he, so of course I bought it.

So, do any of you wise folks know what its called and what its used for ? It´s about 50cm long, is bladed on both sides of the stem, also the top of it where the rectangle hole is, that is also a blade... I have tried google and came up with nothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

It could be a roofers slate ripper?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuomiJohn

Very good suggestion!

It shows signs of use, so it has been used before for a intended purpose, and there are no nail marks on it. I reckon it could be a woodworking/forestry tool of some sort.

I should mention it was bought in Lapland, no slate roofs up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks fascinating! There's a website I remember that sells all manner of weird and wonderful hand tools, many of them Scandinavian here ...

http://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/

Could be worth dropping the owner a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Seems a bit heavy for my suggestion but could it be some form of industrial webbing stretcher?

The handle part is very similar to the handles on old Bahco nail pullers.

Another great suggestion! I can´t say who is wrong or right though :pac:

Here are a few more pictures.

Because of where I live (Lapland) a friend did say it could be for ice-sculping, I have sent a message to a guy who does that work to ask if it is, awaiting a reply!

Also waiting on a reply from the website mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise from the first pic the tool had a wooden handle so no connection to the metal handle on Bahco nail pullers.

Looks to me the tool is used with a pulling action and or levering with something in the cut out. Also why taper the edges of the metal shaft if they aren't used as some form of blade?

Ice-sculpting? Metal gets very cold and that can be dangerous as bare hands can stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Is it a carpet pullers? Can't make out the head that well from pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

It looks like a big cheese slice.

Are the dark edges on the sides look like they were sharp at one stage?
    Looks very much like some sort of shaving tool.....possibly for carving wood or ice.

Keeks wrote: »
    It looks like a big cheese slice.

Are the dark edges on the sides look like they were sharp at one stage?
    Looks very much like some sort of shaving tool.....possibly for carving wood or ice.

An industrial cheese rind remover then :):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

• Advertisement

dathi wrote: »

Different tool altogether. If you google ice carving tools you'll see ones similar to the one used in the video and they are quite different. Video has a tool with an edge on the front face but OP's tool has no edge there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it have something to do with the 'blades' of sleighs? I can't quite make out if the edges on the long side and inside the gap at the top are sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

Debarking spud?

Mystery has been solved I think. I asked a guy I know about it and he reckons it for stripping and de-branching wooden poles in preparation for whats called a "Roundpole Fence".

All of the bark is removed from just cut sapplings and smoothed out. The two blades on the side are for trimming twigs off , and the cheeseslicer head it for trimming knot heads back flush to the pole.

Reason there is blackening on the tool is that the base of the pole were scorched before putting them in the ground to prevent them rotting.

I will be testing it out next week to see what its like to use! Spent way too much time on this, and thanks for all the suggestions!

Also, sorry for the quality of the pictures, my phone is quite old!

Picture of a roundpole fence

Advertisement