Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Cork seen the man on a push-bike dressed as a Garda?

• 19-08-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I've seen this man multiple times, driving around Cork City. He has a regular pushbike with two white plastic poles at both ends, one with a blue plastic piece at the top to look like a garda police bike, he wears an orange high vis jacket and a white helmet. I can't be the only person in Cork to have seen this surely?
    Post edited by Gaspode on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I've seen this man multiple times, driving around Cork City. He has a regular pushbike with two white plastic poles at both ends, one with a blue plastic piece at the top to look like a garda police bike, he wears an orange high vis jacket and a white helmet. I can't be the only person in Cork to have seen this surely?

How do you know its not a Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thecraicaddict

FrostyJim wrote: »
    How do you know its not a Garda?

I certainly hope he isnt! The two plastic poles are attached to the bike using tape and the high vis jacket looks like it has been in a coal mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've seen him a few times myself. There are a few threads here about this guy where it's explained. Have a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've seen him a few times myself. There are a few threads here about this guy where it's explained. Have a search.

That's helpful. No linkie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No, I don't like to gossip in public.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    No, I don't like to gossip in public.

If you're driving round the city on a pushbike pretending to be a Garda you deserve to be gossiped about. He's probably looking for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭CZ 453

If you're driving round the city on a pushbike pretending to be a Garda you deserve to be gossiped about. He's probably looking for attention.

If it's the same chap I'm thinking of he has a mental illness and no he doesn't deserve to be gossiped about if that's the case.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    If it's the same chap I'm thinking of he has a mental illness and no he doesn't deserve to be gossiped about if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure claiming that he has a mental illness is worse than anything I would have said. I was questioning something I observed, you were speculating on his mental health. If someone dresses up as a member of the Gardai and drives around on a fake pushbike with plastic bits hanging off then as far as I'm concerned it's open for public discussion. If he was not sane enough to know what he was doing he would not be allowed to drive around the city on an almost daily basis pretending to be a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smaugstein

I'm pretty sure claiming that he has a mental illness is worse than anything I would have said. I was questioning something I observed, you were speculating on his mental health. If someone dresses up as a member of the Gardai and drives around on a fake pushbike with plastic bits hanging off then as far as I'm concerned it's open for public discussion. If he was not sane enough to know what he was doing he would not be allowed to drive around the city on an almost daily basis pretending to be a Garda.

I've seen him and I must say I found it bizarre that he was impersonating a Garda and not being pulled on it. From what I've heard he does a lot of work for charities but I know nothing or heard anything of mental illness. It is indeed quite a questionable practice.

Smaugstein wrote: »
    I've seen him and I must say I found it bizarre that he was impersonating a Garda and not being pulled on it. From what I've heard he does a lot of work for charities but I know nothing or heard anything of mental illness. It is indeed quite a questionable practice.

My housemate said something similar. I don't think he's mentally ill, just extremely eccentric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Smaugstein

My housemate said something similar. I don't think he's mentally ill, just extremely eccentric.

Apparently he has been at this for quite some time.

First time I spotted him was by Silversprings hotel, I saw him from quite a distance . I must admit I was a little over the limit and promptly slowed down, which I guess is one positive side effect . :)

I was baffled by the sight of a man on a bicycle dressed up as a Garda on a motorbike and was thinking that perhaps he was going to a fancy-dress party. Then I spotted him another day and made a few inquiries , thats when I found out he does a lot for charities.

Cork has always had some very colourful characters around the place and long may it last, mind you I still find it odd that the Gardaí seem to allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He's what's commonly known as a nutter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

he is totally lapsy bah

• Registered Users Posts: 36 PolesLoveSwans

I saw him as well, cycling 200m before dunkettle roundabout, have a short clip somewhere, he looked me I looked at him from a car and w smiled in same moment. must be cool guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Smaugstein wrote: »
    Apparently he has been at this for quite some time.

First time I spotted him was by Silversprings hotel, I saw him from quite a distance . I must admit I was a little over the limit and promptly slowed down, which I guess is one positive side effect . :)

I was baffled by the sight of a man on a bicycle dressed up as a Garda on a motorbike and was thinking that perhaps he was going to a fancy-dress party. Then I spotted him another day and made a few inquiries , thats when I found out he does a lot for charities.

Cork has always had some very colourful characters around the place and long may it last, mind you I still find it odd that the Gardaí seem to allow it.

Are you serious??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Dbu wrote: »
    Are you serious??

I'm guessing speed limit not booze...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

I'm guessing speed limit not booze...

Hope so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's listed as one of the Characters of Cork I think.
    It is somewhat questionable alright and I don't think he's clearly the full bob.
    There's been a few times where he as messing with traffic by the Bus Station and wasn't long being told where to go by a taxi driver. There is a danger a tourist might get confused though.

It's a bit like the that French woman who dressed like a cowboy and used to direct traffic at the junction of Washington Street and Grand Parade, the Gardaí weren't long getting down there and moving her on in those cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

razorblunt wrote: »
    He's listed as one of the Characters of Cork I think.
    It is somewhat questionable alright and I don't think he's clearly the full bob.
    There's been a few times where he as messing with traffic by the Bus Station and wasn't long being told where to go by a taxi driver. There is a danger a tourist might get confused though.

It's a bit like the that French woman who dressed like a cowboy and used to direct traffic at the junction of Washington Street and Grand Parade, the Gardaí weren't long getting down there and moving her on in those cases.

Far as i know she is from Sweden.nice woman just a bit mad.but sure that's great too.she got into picking up rubbish after the traffic warden phase passed.the corporation lads gave her a high vis and one of those big pincers for picking up litter.she used be down around mahon cleaning away

Fair play!

I think the chap on the bike cycles in from passage too.some trek.I came across him a few times in the work van.seems happy as Larry.I think it's hilarious and I imagine the garda think it's funny too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

I've seen him a few times near the Fingerpost in Douglas. I always figured him as a headbanger anyway. I thought maybe he had some accident on the bike and had gone all out with visibility an protection by having a full face helmet and the lights on poles. Looper.

Has anyone a link to those threads about him?

Whats the story with this cowgirl in washington st? Are we talking Times Square cowboy type deal? If she's swedish my mind could run riot with that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    I've seen him a few times near the Fingerpost in Douglas. I always figured him as a headbanger anyway. I thought maybe he had some accident on the bike and had gone all out with visibility an protection by having a full face helmet and the lights on poles. Looper.

Has anyone a link to those threads about him?

Whats the story with this cowgirl in washington st? Are we talking Times Square cowboy type deal? If she's swedish my mind could run riot with that!

Poor some water on them loins! She just had a cowboy hat must have been late 40s at the time.not in a milfy way.cool the jets! Haha.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The guy on the bike is from somewhere around the Douglas/Rochestown/Passage direction.
    I see him very frequently there and in Carrigaline at all hours of the day/night.

Gave me a shock the first few times I seen him, seems harmless enough and must be pretty fit with all the cycling he's at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Poor some water on them loins! She just had a cowboy hat must have been late 40s at the time.not in a milfy way.cool the jets! Haha.
    Cowboy hat and a poncho, also knee high boots. Compleatly scatty but harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

Was the woman in the cowbow gear murdered in a flat by brannigans a good few years back?
    Nora Kiely? 2003/2004ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nah, typical Cork Urban legend that grows arms and legs.

Good for her, that she's not picking up litter.
    I'm sure she had the best of intentions but it could have ended up with a few incidents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Nah, typical Cork Urban legend that grows arms and legs.

I remember the case cos I kinda knew one of the lads involved, the story at the time was it was the cowgirl and I don't think I've seen her since,
    2+2=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Cotts72

He's harmless, ive heard that theres mental illness alright. he just wears a basic high vis jacket. He doesn't even look like a Garda nor does his bike resemble one of theirs haha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Spotted him today cycling on the lower glanmire road.

He does look like a bike Garda fom a distance in fairness.
    High vis jacket, black trousers and a white motorbike helmet, flashing blue light on a pole attached to the bike.
    Needs a quick double take if you happen to be speeding :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Had to come on here and search for "cycling garda" ,thought I was going mad. Had said it to numerous people that I saw this guy along the lower tivoli road/coming out of town and they looked at me as if I had 2 heads. He now also has 2 white boxes tied onto the back of the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

I cannot remember quite where around the city but I did see him there a couple of weeks ago. Usual get up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement