Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent an apartment

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Im looking to rent an apartment in south dublin

ive been asked to provide work reference which i have.
    And then bank statement. The apartment i want to rent is 2500 pm.

I have a savings account with a substantial amount in it.And in my day to day acc on average 1500e. I am wondering are they asking me to show a statement if i can pay rent or are they asking to see if i can afford it.

Do i show my saving account statement or my checking account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

They want to see the statement for the account that shows a regular wage coming into it imo.

Savings come and go, landlords want to see that you have a regular income so you can pay your monthly rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To others that have provided this; would a monthly list of his pay going into his account be sufficient for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

My salary is around 1900 pm, and i intend on subletting the spare room.

so im just wondering do i need to show a minimum of 2500 going in every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beaner92 wrote: »

so im just wondering do i need to show a minimum of 2500 going in every month?

Unless they're agreeing to the sublet then I'd imagine they'll want to see a lot more than that going in

€2500 alone won't cover bills, food, other expenses etc that they know you'd have as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

ok so then its better i move some of my savings in to the main account. like say the full amount for the rent for the whole year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have they actually agreed to the idea of you subletting? Most leases don't allow it by default.

It's your money but 2500 on rent when you're earning 1900 with bills to pay on top while dependent on someone else covering a good chunk of that seems like a big risk to me unless you're happy to have it potentially eat into savings.

I'd say looking for somewhere that costs less would be your best bet. 2500 is insane rent, you could pay the mortgage on two houses for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Feel free to spend your money the way you want but renting for 2500 while your salary is 600 less is madness.
    You shouldn't use your savings for paying rent, in your case you should look for a rent that won't exceed 900 a month max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

beaner92 wrote: »

Uh... what? How much do you expect to get for this spare room, assuming you will even be allowed to sublet in the first place? Bearing in mind you're starting off with a €600 deficit.

The only way I can think of that that would work out financially is if you're planning on doing airbnb or similar, which is not really something you should be relying on for steady income IMO, never mind all the other potential problems with this kind of arrangement (neighbours, landlord, security, etc).

Advertisement