Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Current role

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

SO for the last few months my job role has dramatically changed 7 or 8 times more responsibility and a lot more work since one of my colleagues left. So i have sorted of unofficially transitioned into their role while receiving non of the benefits my manager has acknowledged this and said the process could be drawn out between the head of our department and HR. The head of department does not think there is any difference in the roles

so while all this going on my original role was advertised and have gotten some one for it. I have seen what they will be getting and they will be getting more money and far less responsibilities. Un sure of what to do in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd be looking for a new role elsewhere: if your own head of department doesn't see any difference between the two roles, you are unlikely to win any battles for extra rewards.

(Your own manager can spin you whatever line they want, if they're not the one having the conversation with HR, what they say is irrelevant.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

morework wrote: »
    SO for the last few months my job role has dramatically changed 7 or 8 times more responsibility and a lot more work since one of my colleagues left. So i have sorted of unofficially transitioned into their role while receiving non of the benefits my manager has acknowledged this and said the process could be drawn out between the head of our department and HR. The head of department does not think there is any difference in the roles

so while all this going on my original role was advertised and have gotten some one for it. I have seen what they will be getting and they will be getting more money and far less responsibilities. Un sure of what to do in this situation.

option two:
    make a list of the new duties you do
    show it to the manger with the old job spec.

ask for a raise.

leave if it doesnt work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Last job i was in, the name of the game was more work, more responsibilities, and zero respect.

Get a new job, op. This discussion between HR, your manager and the dept head is a farce. It's basically John ltd telling you john ltd is discussing your terms with John ltd.

Meanwhile you're overworked and underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

7 or 8 times more responsibility? Did you jump from apprentice to CEO by any chance?
    Are you working a minute over your rostered hours?

While you may be right there is also a strong possibility that you are grossly exaggerating the change in your role and unless you are working beyond your rostered hours, being blunt you are just working as hard as you should be. While you may think that your head of dept. woke up one day and decided to be vindictive I can assure it's not his money. If he/she thinks you are doing much the same role then perhaps you are. I see this all the time primarily with very junior members of staff who lose the run of them selves when their role changes marginally.

I'd suggest as above putting the differences in your new role in writing. Seriously consider whether it's a different role or just progression within your current role. Then discuss with your manager not your demand but under what terms you could expect a promotion or a pay-rise. Then match that with your list - you may find you have fallen short of making a case for a promotion.

As for the usual HR and Management bashing. From their perspective if any time someones role changed marginally opened up all pay claims you'll end up with a failing business through unsustainable pay demands. Looking across the organisation (as opposed to one individual) you might be surprised how many other people have claims are vs your own. Some better then others.

Finally you can always use the market to determine if you really are "worth it" by applying for roles elsewhere and seeing if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

micosoft wrote: »
    being blunt you are just working as hard as you should be. While you may think that your head of dept. woke up one day and decided to be vindictive I can assure it's not his money.

Ok, this just isn't true.

It's possibly the op just hasn't learned to say "no", took on an unmanageable workload, and now the organisation has a push for efficiency or productivity and the op is suffering.

Modern companies have a race to the bottom in terms of productivity and efficiency.. without the means to do this what suffers is the health of staff and quality of work.

When you say it's not the dept head's money, maybe under the old rules. Nowadays it's likely his budget has been slashed or more crudely he got orders to reduce his headcount.

To the op, a change is as good as a rest. I'd look at different roles, internally and externally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement